• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Manu

After going to The Gutter and hating it, I realized I hated it because it's the only level that feels open and you can get lost in. It's the most darksouls-ish area in the game so far. The rest of the levels feel small, with too many bonfires too close to each other.

After going to The Gutter and hating it, I realized I hated it because it's the only level that feels open and you can get lost in. It's the most darksouls-ish area in the game so far. The rest of the levels feel small, with too many bonfires too close to each other.

Always bring your torch and butterflie's salsa, there are two secret areas there and another one you need to revisit when you found a special key. And yes the bonfires are to close from each other

elohel

which of the two previous games did you prefer? and I agree the bonfire placement was off

Manu

Fuck, snake lady is tough.

EDIT: Nevermind, co-op'd her into oblivion. It's a good thing the other guys showed me what to do with the torch. How the fuck are you supposed to figure that one out yourself? -_-

Renekton

Ok I'm completely incapable of beating
The Pursuer
so I checked a video where the guy parries his attacks then
uses the ballista
, is parrying simply a matter of timing or do you need certain stats to be able to do it?
It's pure timing, but small shields have larger parry windows then medium shields. Best is to take any small buckler and test on normal mobs till you get the timing down.

My first pursuer kill (STR knight) was simply by holding block and strafing right, rolling right to any big attack.

yamo

It's just timing.

You could also co-op the fight and have your partner use the ballista while you get aggro, that's how I beat it.

I felt really dirty after co-oping the
Pursuer
and then two shotting him with the ballista.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Beat the game last night. Now I'm just mopping up the extra things I didn't get around to like the Dark Chasms and optional bosses like
Vendrick

Amazing game. Much, much better than the first.

It's pure timing, but small shields have larger parry windows then medium shields. Best is to take any small buckler and test on normal mobs till you get the timing down.

My first pursuer kill (STR knight) was simply by holding block and strafing right, rolling right to any big attack.

I think someone else said best when comparing the parrying between DkS1 and 2:-

DkS1 parrying is of a more predictive nature. Easier to pull off, and the riposte is instantaneous.

DkS2 parrying is of a more reactive nature. Much more difficult to nail down.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike

I know I'll be in the minority with my opinion but having fast travel from the beginning, the ability to respec your characters, more bonfires, having up to two co-op partners, far, far less invasions and an overall less punishing difficulty balance has made the game much more enjoyable for me. Dark Souls 1 had better atmosphere, bosses and lore but I found it much less enjoyable from a gameplay perspective. As such I'm more looking forward to Dark Souls 3 from the "B" team than Miyazaki's "A" team game, Bloodborne.

Ruuppa

I know I'll be in the minority with my opinion but having fast travel from the beginning, the ability to respec your characters, more bonfires, having up to two co-op partners, far, far less invasions and an overall less punishing difficulty balance has made the game much more enjoyable for me. Dark Souls 1 had better atmosphere, bosses and lore but I found it much less enjoyable from a gameplay perspective. As such I'm more looking forward to Dark Souls 3 from the "B" team than Miyazaki's "A" team game, Bloodborne.

You can have two co-op partners in DkS1 as well.

danthefan

Just gave that a go, actually managed to hit him several times. His shield bash gave me some trouble so I need to know when that's coming but I think with a bit of practice now I might be able to wear him down, thanks.

Edit - Awesome, he's down. Hit him with the ballista then instead of trying to ballista him again just took it really slowly and got a couple of hits in. Thanks!

Had quite a good couple days with Dark Souls 2. Was able to play both a bit of friday and almost the entire sunday. When I started on friday I hadn't played for a few weeks due to work, and moving to another place. But I was able to get into it again pretty quickly. I think I left off having cleaned up most of the areas around Brightstone Cove. So I stood around for a bit, wondering where to go when I realized I could buy that feline ring (which is fucking useless btw as that fall still killed me quite a few times).

So anyway, that led me through the Gutter and Black Gulch (actually used my torch there a few times, which was awesome). I had also neglected talking to the woman who is able to open the path to Huntsman's Copse, Earthen Peak and that Undeadish area (with that asshole Chariot boss, seemed annoying at first, but it was a cakewalk with the lightning miracle). Cleared out all of those. And I think, from there, I was finally able to get to the Iron Keep, get my hands on the dull ember (yeah!) and face the Smelter Demon. One of the messages out front suggested I use the Gyrm shield. Which was great, but it still took me quite a few tries. This one time I almost had him (both us were down to 2 or 3% health) so I ran in to take a swing, but his little fucking fire aura killed me. Me and my magic mace persevered though. Got him eventually.

After that I also took on the Pursuer when he spawns in that same room. That seemed really hard at first. I just didn't have the stamina to keep blocking those hits. But after I figured out to ditch all my plate armor and roll past him on the left whenever he lunges and hit him with my huge fucking club, all was soon well within the Iron Keep, and I strolled out of there with the shiny ring I had just pried off his miserable little finger.

After all of that, the Old Iron King was a piece of cake and I'm now off to the Shrine of Winter, having rekindled all the primal bonfires.

As for my character, I'm using a kind of strength/faith hybrid build, but it's really more a jack of all trades. Think I'm around level 135/140 and my lowest stat is probably vigor at 15? The highest is strength at 36. I have a +10 bastard sword infused with lightning. A +8 magic mace. A large club, also +10 (no infusion). And I've got a mundane Santier's Spear. Which is why I'm trying to get every stat up to 20. Since that means I will also have decent intelligence, I'm going to take a look at some hexes pretty soon. Should be fun.

Dark Souls 2 isn't quite as incredible as Dark Souls 1 (probably mostly due to the disjointed levels), but only marginally less so imho. I'm still absolutely loving the shit out of this game.

Audioboxer

About to start NG++ and finally get my platinum. Have been playing with a hex build, then a faith build. Want to do an INT build for my final playthrough.

SL170. Does anyone have a good build to base things off of? Probably be 50 INT with a spread elsewhere. I read Soul Geyser got a hard nerf, so won't need a high INT (can spice it anyway).

What about weapons/armour? MLGS still top for magic? Cheers

Facism

you could have 2 coop partners in Dark Souls. Invasions will come thicker and faster than Peter North once you hit NG+. As soon as you leave Majula. In every area.

Soulhouf

This is actually very interesting.
A couple of months ago this kind of reaction would have gotten me angry but now that Bloodborne has been revealed, I feel kind of opposite.
I think there are a room for everyone. The direction DS2 took is very different from Demon's Souls and DS1. Too much compromise IMO but at the same time it's a good way to target a new audience while they continue making the kind of game the original fans want with Bloodborne.
Yeah, I can see that.

About to start NG++ and finally get my platinum. Have been playing with a hex build, then a faith build. Want to do an INT build for my final playthrough.

SL170. Does anyone have a good build to base things off of? Probably be 50 INT with a spread elsewhere. I read Soul Geyser got a hard nerf, so won't need a high INT (can spice it anyway).

What about weapons/armour? MLGS still top for magic? Cheers

50 int
40 vig at least
40 att
18 dex for MGS
12 str to be able to use some good weapons

Put the rest of points into vig/end and adp until you reach 95/100 agility. Don't bother with vit and as for armor, the black witch is really good stat and fashion-wise if you have a female avatar.
And yes, MGS is still the best int weapon.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Gonna start a new character and get to the arena and hope my old save starts working

My condolonces mate. I always backup my DkS2 saves on an hourly basis just in case shit like that happens.

I did this now. Sucks how they changed file recovery in Win 8. Vista/7 saved Shadow Copies by default. Windows 8 requires an external drive, so I had to set up a virtual disk. But now all my saves for every game is being stored every hour at least.

Audioboxer

A couple of months ago this kind of reaction would have gotten me angry but now that Bloodborne has been revealed, I feel kind of opposite.
I think there are a room for everyone. The direction DS2 took is very different from Demon's Souls and DS1. Too much compromise IMO but at the same time it's a good way to target a new audience while they continue making the kind of game the original fans want with Bloodborne.
Yeah, I can see that.

50 int
40 vig at least
40 att
18 dex for MGS
12 str to be able to use some good weapons

Put the rest of points into vig/end and adp until you reach 95/100 agility. Don't bother with vit and as for armor, the black witch is really good stat and fashion-wise if you have a female avatar.
And yes, MGS is still the best int weapon.

Thanks, good to go! I'm male, but I might for once try that coffin and see how my character looks female :p

If I don't like will another coffin journey restore me to my former self and looks?

Mogwai

I agree with most of that. Except for the abundance of bonfires and dull bosses.

DS2 is enjoyable, no doubt. The B-team did some good things in regard to gameplay despite lacking some creativity for lore, world-building and boss design.

Oh, and I hope they remove the new durability system because that sucks. The idea of having to use different weapons is decent, but then why the hell do they give us the Bracing Knuckle Ring then? Rather pointless as it undermines their own game design. Noob mistake, oh well.

Manu

Thanks, good to go! I'm male, but I might for once try that coffin and see how my character looks female :p

If I don't like will another coffin journey restore me to my former self and looks?

Yes. I found out after I accidentally turned my character into a guy because I didn't know what the coffin did.

Oh, and I hope they remove the new durability system because that sucks. The idea of having to use different weapons is decent, but then why the hell do they give us the Bracing Knuckle Ring then? Rather pointless as it undermines their own game design. Noob mistake, oh well.

Well it doesn't entirely negate the effects. But still, the degradation is way too fast regardless. I found myself swapping out my bastard sword for a good old fist punch when I didn't want to waste the durability on the sliver of health an enemy had left. Seems kinda dumb.

danthefan

So I wrote a big whiny post yesterday about how hard this game was etc etc because I couldn't kill The Pursuer.

Doing much better today so far. Killed the Pursuer, Old Dragonslayer and Dragonrider bosses, and have just reached the fog door in the Pirate Cove place (name escapes me now). Though I just lost 10k souls from falling into the water twice which is infuriating.

Altazor

I think DS2 is a bit "middle of the road" compared to DS1. It doesn't reach the highs of the first (that feeling when reaching Anor Londo for the first time, battling O&S, the level design of Undead Burg/Parish/Lower/Depths and, so far, the DLC bosses) but it also manages to stay consistent and avoids the lows of DS1 (Lost Izalith and the Bed of Chaos, Blighttown's framerate).

It's still weaker in level design and world-building, though. Somehow Iron Keep remains my favorite area in the game due to feeling like if Demon Ruins had a child with Anor Londo. Yes, the archer's fucking annoying the first time you go through. After you reach the second bonfire, though, you can absolutely leave him #rekt after enacting your revenge. Earthen Peak feels a bit like this too, though it's more like a Sen's ripoff (now with POISON!)

I just hope the DLC manages to up the ante in level design. I'm itching for some huge, interconnected area that leaves me in awe.

Stil loved the game, mind you.

Mogwai

Well it doesn't entirely negate the effects. But still, the degradation is way too fast regardless. I found myself swapping out my bastard sword for a good old fist punch when I didn't want to waste the durability on the sliver of health an enemy had left. Seems kinda dumb.
True. It's just when I use the +2 version I never really have to care about durability. But that's probably because there's a bonfire around every corner.

Weapon variety is good and fun. Why the FROM team decided to make strike damage so powerful is beyond my comprehension. That's another B-team failure.

Manu

I'm actually surprised at how not only the framerate is a lot more consistent, but it actually gets closer to 60 than 30 at times.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
:|. I thought Dark Souls 2 had more than one save file so I started a new character and now my old save is gone for realsies. God damn. On the up-side my new character is a cooler looking female now.

Nibel

Man, fuck this:

I fucked up the Lucatiel questline on my first playthrough and didn't receive the achievement which is normal. On my second playthrough, I brought her to 4 boss fights, she survived all of them with 50%+ health and then I met her for the last time inside the shed in front of Aldia's Keep. Of course I've listened to every prior dialogue line. Talked to her, received her equipment - and no achievement.

What the fuck? This must be a bug because I've done it exactly as it is written on various DS2 Wiki websites. Any solutions? Ideas? Ugh.

Feels like you like it how the lowered the game punishment which in fact was a change of gameplay to be the best of the worst move depending of the player.

Yeah, I can see that.

I am starting to feel Bloodborne will be more action oriented game rather than old rpg esque game like the souls series which is fine since is not a souls series.

Man, fuck this:

I fucked up the Lucatiel questline on my first playthrough and didn't receive the achievement which is normal. On my second playthrough, I brought her to 4 boss fights, she survived all of them with 50%+ health and then I met her for the last time inside the shed in front of Aldia's Keep. Of course I've listened to every prior dialogue line. Talked to her, received her equipment - and no achievement.

What the fuck? This must be a bug because I've done it exactly as it is written on various DS2 Wiki websites. Any solutions? Ideas? Ugh.

Did you talked to her on the four locations before aldia?
gutter,no mans,earthen peak, bastille?
. But still if you talked to her in aldie and disappears then you are screwed.

Nibel

Did you talked to her on the four locations before aldia?
gutter,no mans,earthen peak, bastille?
. But still if you talked to her in aldie and disappears then you are screwed.

Yes I did, talked to her at all spots and exhausted all her dialogue. She helped me with all boss fights that she has access to. And she gave me her equipment in Aldie, expected a Steam pop-up but nothing happened.

Already on my ++ Playthrough, no idea what to do. Kind of shitty.

Yes I did, talked to her at all spots and exhausted all her dialogue. She helped me with all boss fights that she has access to. And she gave me her equipment in Aldie, expected a Steam pop-up but nothing happened.

Already on my ++ Playthrough, no idea what to do. Kind of shitty.

Well if she gave you her equipment (Her armor set and sword) the achivement had to pop up.

Minamu

So I wrote a big whiny post yesterday about how hard this game was etc etc because I couldn't kill The Pursuer.

Doing much better today so far. Killed the Pursuer, Old Dragonslayer and Dragonrider bosses, and have just reached the fog door in the Pirate Cove place (name escapes me now). Though I just lost 10k souls from falling into the water twice which is infuriating.
My character needs about 380k for one level up now. Losing souls is part of the game and happens to everyone, it's hardly a big deal in the long run :)

Well I defeated the Aegis in the Crypts (on NG, first time through)...
Vendrick
killed me though. I got cocky and when he jumped back to the wall I figured I could roll and dodge... definitely failed haha. I guess I can't beat him now from what I read online?

Also is there any order to which doors I go to? I'm assuming I go back to all of the
King's Seal
doors now.

Well I defeated the Aegis in the Crypts (on NG, first time through)...
Vendrick
killed me though. I got cocky and when he jumped back to the wall I figured I could roll and dodge... definitely failed haha. I guess I can't beat him now from what I read online?

Also is there any order to which doors I go to? I'm assuming I go back to all of the
King's Seal
doors now.

You can defeat him if you want,
the giants souls, need 5
, only weaks his defense.

The Giant forest
is a dead end since you need another item to fully explore that area but free twinklie shard

Drangelic
castle to beat
down the throne defenders

Shaded wood is the one you need to go
BUT first end your Lucatiel storyquest (using her as a summon phantom to end a boss 4 times) because if you talk to her in Aldia end her presence in the game
to enter the next area.

Great, collected all Pyromancies and no achievement pop-up.

Think I'm done here.

Looks like you have a big a** bug there.

You can defeat him if you want,
the giants souls, need 5
, only weaks his defense.

The Giant forest
is a dead end since you need another item to fully explore that area but free twinklie shard

Drangelic
castle to beat
down the throne defenders

Shaded wood is the one you need to go
BUT first end your Lucatiel storyquest (using her as a summon phantom to end a boss 4 times) because if you talk to her in Aldia end her presence in the game
to enter the next area.

Great, thank you!

Mistel

Banned
What are some good end game great swords to have for a str and dex build?
Dex only has two greatswords going for it (well one becuase both are identical) the mirrah ones dex scaling is not great so you are better off with strength focused ones like the mastodon greatsword. Or the claymore which has C/C scaling and a nice moveset.

There's also the two bleed greatswords the flamberge and the royal greatsword if they interest you.

elohel

Are all of the great bows located in ng+?

I feel like I couldn't find any my first play through but I wasn't looking very hard tbh

Are all of the great bows located in ng+?

I feel like I couldn't find any my first play through but I wasn't looking very hard tbh

There are only 2 in the whole game.

1 (Alonne Greatbow) is an extremely rare drop from the Alonne Knight Captain Bowmen in the Iron Keep/Drangliec Castle.

Another (Dragonslayer Greatbow) is something you can get from exchanging a particular Boss Soul (Old King Soul, gained from defeating the Iron Keep boss in NG+ and beyond) with Ornifex.

Top Bottom