• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Ruuppa

It's buff a bit not that substantially. All of the spears fared quite well due to the update in respect to buff and scaling improvements. Shame there's not other Heide knight weapons more on the STR orientated side of things.

From 130+91 to 180+103. 63 physical damage buff, no change for Lightning. Okay, it's not that great. But at least it's worth considering now, unlike before.

Ruuppa

Good god did they buff Pyromancies. I can actually throw Fire Orbs further than I can roll now! This pyro-only playthrough is going to be glorious!

Huh, beat The Rotten last night and they put in the spot where you start the upcoming DLC. Cannot wait. Wish we could just pre-order/season pass it on 360...

Runners have started to use alternative categories now: all bosses (still uses smaller skips) and any% glitchless for example.

Didn't the patch notes at one point say they fixed the SoW skip? I'm guessing that is just the jumping? Was parrywalking ever fixed?

Also, does anyone know why people use the SoW skip on all boss runs? It seems like it is a strange route, but I'm sure there is a reason.

Ruuppa

Didn't the patch notes at one point say they fixed the SoW skip? I'm guessing that is just the jumping? Was parrywalking ever fixed?

Also, does anyone know why people use the SoW skip on all boss runs? It seems like it is a strange route, but I'm sure there is a reason.

Fast access to Dark Covenant, best hexing chime, Climax and extra GRS would be my guess. At least for Hexing runs.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
While I miss the floppy ragdolls of yore, Dark Souls 2's ragdoll system can produce some funny results as well.

0C3DC52233CC6E1B0FAA8DD1FBC0AF28EDE8B210

ZimbAdam

You can use those current weapons with your current build as the Heide knight sword is a decent sword even when not infused once infused it gets B FTH scaling. You could just bump DEX to the lowest requirement for a bow and still be good to go. Or you could just go back to STR/DEX.

It's buff a bit not that substantially. All of the spears fared quite well due to the update in respect to buff and scaling improvements. Shame there's not other Heide knight weapons more on the STR orientated side of things.

Cheers for the advice. I'll have a crack at pressing on for now and if it proves to be too much I'll move some points into DEX.

Mistel

Banned
Cheers for the advice. I'll have a crack at pressing on for now and if it proves to be too much I'll move some points into DEX.
It is perfectly doable without any ranged options but if you feel you need one either bump your DEX. Or just use crossbows which have far lower requirements with the highest being 15 DEX for Avylen.

Updated the game got a 100mb patch balance then a 306mb compatibility patch.

Warning, updating the compatibility patch will make you character not playable without the patch so be careful with those shared licenses offline.

Speedrunners revert the game back onto an old patch that's faster to complete than a new one.

SoW skip is faster than going through it normally and also lets you get access to the memories right away.

v1perz53

Good god, trying to farm Sunlight Medals offline is trying my patience. Because of harsh internet rules at my school, I can't play online, so the only way to get the platinum trophy is to do this offline, and it is absolutely awful. My Betwixt bonfire is at level 7 already from aescetics and I have 12 of the 30 medals I need. At the point where the falconers one shot me. Back to this mind numbing run, my completionism won't let me miss just one trophy, just needed to complain a bit (and hope that I just missed something and someone will point out a better way). And I know the giants in Harvest Valley drop them too, but I had even worse luck with those.

Trakan

Good god, trying to farm Sunlight Medals offline is trying my patience. Because of harsh internet rules at my school, I can't play online, so the only way to get the platinum trophy is to do this offline, and it is absolutely awful. My Betwixt bonfire is at level 7 already from aescetics and I have 12 of the 30 medals I need. At the point where the falconers one shot me. Back to this mind numbing run, my completionism won't let me miss just one trophy, just needed to complain a bit (and hope that I just missed something and someone will point out a better way). And I know the giants in Harvest Valley drop them too, but I had even worse luck with those.

The guys who ride the giants who shoot dark orbs in Harvest Valley drop them, though they're extremely rare.

ElTopo

Banned
Finally unlocked the Darklurker and I must say that was not only difficult but also probably the most esoteric thing in the game to find. I was under the impression that you just had to find Grandahl three times and boom, now you can fight the Lurker. But no,
you have to go to all of Grandahl's locations, give him a Human Effigy (except for the 1st time), Light the fire (which you need a Flamebutterfly for), possibly run past the Phantoms or at least take out the guys who give you the most problem and two of these zones feature Turtle Phantoms that have infinite stamina and cannot be traditionally stunned. AND then you can fight DarkLurker but if you die during the fight, you have to go through whichever zone you were at again and then you get another chance which means using another Effigy.

I am so glad I play Hollow 99% of the time and had 83 Effigies to spare but until I figured out an easy way to kill the Phantoms I was down to almost 50 Effigies.

BTW: I probably come off as a stupid asshole and this is probably a common strategy but I figured out a way to cheese the Phantoms if you're running Melee. You just need a Giant Club or Dragon Tooth, any big weapon that has an overhead swing that crushes foes to the ground. You can stunlock the Phantoms with that overhead swing roughly 90% of the time if you time it right, every now and again they randomly get out of it on their wakeup.

I don't like how if you die at the Darklurker you have to do re-do that zone. That is BS.

v1perz53

The guys who ride the giants who shoot dark orbs in Harvest Valley drop them, though they're extremely rare.

Yea those were the giants I mentioned trying. Had less luck with those than the Falconers. Only 3 giants per bonfire as opposed to 4 falconers, and take longer to kill.

Finally unlocked the Darklurker and I must say that was not only difficult but also probably the most esoteric thing in the game to find.

Darklurker was the boss that proved to me how overpowered Faith really is. I did it after the nerf and went in with 8 Lightning Spear and 4 Greater Spear and I just baited his easy to dodge beam attack and used a spear, then when he went to split I threw 3 Greater Spears and he was dead before either could attack a single time after split. Definitely gonna try melee in NG+ because it kind of ruined what I heard was a fun fight.

Do agree that I wish you could skip straight to Darklurker after lighting the 3 beacons though, the phantoms are annoying.

ElTopo

Banned
Do agree that I wish you could skip straight to Darklurker after lighting the 3 beacons though, the phantoms are annoying.

Funny story, I didn't realize you had to light a torch to actually complete a zone. So when I exited Grandahl told me good job and all that and I was like "Where's the Darklurker? Did I miss something" So I went through it again, died, went through it again, lit a Torch, completed it. Got the same message from Grandahl and tried the same zone again, beat it and was confused. Then I looked up what exactly you had to do...

Daddy like that new red-caped DLC armour.

Daddy think he'll buy the DLC for that alone.

Daddy obviously has very few things to play until TLoU:R drops.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
FYI you can hack items now that, if dropped and picked up by someone, will ruin your save. So don't pick up random items, I guess?

ElTopo

Banned
50 Human Effigies later and I finally beat the Dark Lurker. NG+. And I'll just say it, the number of souls you get from bosses should be proportionate to what build you have. It would be a cool feature for BloodBorne. That fight was such a huge pain in the ass for my Melee build. I have 50 Strength, almost 40 VIT, almost 40 Health, 31 DEX, and man did I get wrecked. Hardest fight by far for Melee except maybe Vendrick (But that's more about patience and knowing what to enchant your weapon with to make it easier rather then just skill).

Holy crap that was hard. I finished the night by killing the Twin Dragonriders and I'm going to celebrate by watching Punisher War Zone now.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Does anyone remember what Mundane Santier Spear +5 was, pre-nerf? Is Raw Santier better than pre-nerf Mundane? :S

I just checked my Mundane build and as people said, Raw Santier is now the way to go. It seems patently absurd that anyone with the minimum requirements for Santier can have a stronger Santier than one that has Mundane scaling... WTF, From? I changed it from Mundane to Raw and it jumped from like 240 AR to 420 AR... which means that other than Avelyn (which was nerfed as well) there is really no reason to use Mundane scaling at all now. Might have to respec... -_-

GorillaJu

There is some armor that I guess is DLC armor, very feminine looking skirt made of feathers with some heels. Went searching through the armor sets and didn't see it come up. It looked like a legacy set but I don't recall ever seeing it in DS1. Someone invaded me wearing that set. Also been invaded by people with the dark projector gun. Someone also cast the weight % spell on me but I always play under 25%, so he got fat-rolled, I didn't :lol

50 Human Effigies later and I finally beat the Dark Lurker. NG+. And I'll just say it, the number of souls you get from bosses should be proportionate to what build you have. It would be a cool feature for BloodBorne. That fight was such a huge pain in the ass for my Melee build. I have 50 Strength, almost 40 VIT, almost 40 Health, 31 DEX, and man did I get wrecked. Hardest fight by far for Melee except maybe Vendrick (But that's more about patience and knowing what to enchant your weapon with to make it easier rather then just skill).

Holy crap that was hard. I finished the night by killing the Twin Dragonriders and I'm going to celebrate by watching Punisher War Zone now.

I was an idiot and my first attempt at him was on NG+++. Ended up respeccing for sorcery just for that fight.

GorillaJu

Darklurker was really fun but I didn't find him to ever really give me that hard of a time. It took me only 2 or 3 tries to kill him with my no-shield melee build. What exactly about him is troubling people?

I seem to have a hard time with "easy" bosses and an easy time with "hard" bosses in Souls games, because some of the hardest fights for me are ones that others seem to just breeze past.

Top Bottom