• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

ElTopo

Banned
Darklurker was really fun but I didn't find him to ever really give me that hard of a time. It took me only 2 or 3 tries to kill him with my no-shield melee build. What exactly about him is troubling people?

I seem to have a hard time with "easy" bosses and an easy time with "hard" bosses in Souls games, because some of the hardest fights for me are ones that others seem to just breeze past.

It's more about learning his/her pattern and being forced to fight those Phantoms if you fuck up. Once you figure out the pattern it's not so bad until phase 2 happens and while you can get at least 1-2 more hits during the beginning of that process, it's really hard to tell what the other one is going to do.

Got halfway through Punisher War Zone and had a bug up my ass to fight Looking Glass Knight. Took me about 5 attempts, he likes to summon very early in the fight and this time he summons human players. On my last try I think I got lucky and fought an invader who either (A) wasn't very good or (B) gave me a chance to heal. I managed to kill him just as he summoned a 2nd dude.

Mogwai

It's more about learning his/her pattern and being forced to fight those Phantoms if you fuck up. Once you figure out the pattern it's not so bad until phase 2 happens and while you can get at least 1-2 more hits during the beginning of that process, it's really hard to tell what the other one is going to do.

Got halfway through Punisher War Zone and had a bug up my ass to fight Looking Glass Knight. Took me about 5 attempts, he likes to summon very early in the fight and this time he summons human players. On my last try I think I got lucky and fought an invader who either (A) wasn't very good or (B) gave me a chance to heal. I managed to kill him just as he summoned a 2nd dude.

Seems like it's usually an early summon if it's human controlled phantoms. The NPCs are typically much later.

ElTopo

Banned
Seems like it's usually an early summon if it's human controlled phantoms. The NPCs are typically much later.

How do you get summoned as his assist in that fight? I also chalk it up that I was playing at 4AM and there being fewer people online.

ElTopo

Banned
Just thought I'd ask; is it worth it to push it beyond 50 Strength? Doesn't seem too worth it but I'm curious. I want to push my Health and DEX to 40 though.

Soulhouf

wut? no.

There are many str weapons with near 1:1 str scaling or even better. 99 str is legit for over a dozen weapons.

I'm talking about remaining around the meta level SL135-150.
Of course, if you go hollow, you can max-out everything. In such case why are we even arguing here. A few farming sessions with Giant Lord and you're done.

Jinjo

So I've been out of the loop for a while, looking to get back in to prepare for the DLC. What did from horribly nerf and what's the go to build right now (pve)?

Currently still sitting on a hexer with dark katana.

elfinke

So I've been out of the loop for a while, looking to get back in to prepare for the DLC. What did from horribly nerf and what's the go to build right now (pve)?

Currently still sitting on a hexer with dark katana.

Yah I fired it up for the first time in a month or two tonight, seems not much has changed and still plenty of activity (got an instant summon into the Sentinels boss fight).

Started a new character, as I foolishly have left all my past characters at the beginning of various games and none at the end of a game, so I need to earn my way to the DLC it seems. I had just burned out on PvP last time I checked into this thread, however long ago that was, with around 250hrs played.

Chances are I'll treat these new DLCs just like the DS1 DLC, which I never played cos I couldn't be bothered playing through to it on PC having spent plenty of time in vanilla DS1 on PS3 already. Ah well!

Also curious as to when exactly the DLC will go live. Maybe the same time the game unlocked on PC? I believe that was ~5pm Central Standard Time.

Aurongel

Oh boy, I'm already seeing some pretty negative feedback on
one of the boss battles and model designs having a striking similarity to a previous boss in the series

I hope the complaints I saw briefly are just hyperbolic hate though.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
one of the boss battles and model designs having a striking similarity to a previous boss in the series

Where did you hear that?

I am not surprised about the reskinned enemies but a boss?.

stupei

Okay, so Captain Drummond didn't give me the helmet. He gave me some other items instead (can't remember what at the moment), and I'm not sure what I did wrong. I definitely missed him my first time through the Memory of Vammar, but got him the and he was there with me for the boss fight. Did I have to keep him alive? He died near the end.

Don't know, it's just weird, and I wanted that complete set, as well as the achievement, but I can't find anything by googling. Anyone hear of this happening or know of something I probably missed? Really close to the end now. Two boss fights (one optional) to go.

Okay, so Captain Drummond didn't give me the helmet. He gave me some other items instead (can't remember what at the moment), and I'm not sure what I did wrong. I definitely missed him my first time through the Memory of Vammar, but got him the and he was there with me for the boss fight. Did I have to keep him alive? He died near the end.

Don't know, it's just weird, and I wanted that complete set, as well as the achievement, but I can't find anything by googling. Anyone hear of this happening or know of something I probably missed? Really close to the end now. Two boss fights (one optional) to go.

You have to defeat the Giant king then return to talk to him in the memory.

Ok i'm definitely waiting for feedback now.
No day one for me.

Oh, shit. Okay, that makes sense. Thanks.

I found the memories weirdly stressful because of the timer, so it somehow never occurred to me to go back into one.

I hate timers in any game, ran out of time in the Capitan Drummond memory, those giants didnt let me explore propertly

need more information

The timer is annoying - you can go right back in so it seems pointless to me. I usually do a run for dialogue, a run for loot, etc since the timer is pretty strict if you want to do everything in them.

stupei

The timer is annoying - you can go right back in so it seems pointless to me. I usually do a run for dialogue, a run for loot, etc since the timer is pretty strict if you want to do everything in them.

It feels like maybe the point is to keep us from relying too heavily on poison, or to make it clear that these are small areas that don't branch off into something else. I could see how you might be inclined to run around looking for a boss fight or bonfire or something otherwise, but at that point you have the feather, so... there doesn't seem to be any really valid reason to have a system in place to drag the player out.

I mean, I can understand a lot of reasons you might try it out, but you'd think they would have noticed how much less fun it is...

Ruuppa

It feels like maybe the point is to keep us from relying too heavily on poison, or to make it clear that these are small areas that don't branch off into something else. I could see how you might be inclined to run around looking for a boss fight or bonfire or something otherwise, but at that point you have the feather, so... there doesn't seem to be any really valid reason to have a system in place to drag the player out.

I mean, I can understand a lot of reasons you might try it out, but you'd think they would have noticed how much less fun it is...

Just one more mechanic that wasn't thought out completely before the game went gold.

The timer is especially annoying when trying to go for the Grand Lance, considering how well hidden and finicky getting to it is. I just reset the instance be exiting and entering again if I fail the jump once.

SoldnerKei

so DLC is set for tomorrow, how come that people are complaning about it? guess some stuff got leaked right? I wouldn't mind a repeated boss, if it comes from DaS I, that's it, because of the lore and stuff, and well, didn't that game had a bunch of "something" Demon copies? as long as the boss is cool I don't see much trouble

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
The improved strength scaling helps i guess. But im one of those people who thinks most of the weapons in the game should have better scaling.

Sullichin

You have to defeat the Giant king then return to talk to him in the memory.

Never knew this. I always thought this was such a dumb achievement because he just gives me his equipment the very first time I talk to him. I suppose I've always done so after beating Giant Lord.

It will get good after the next patch. Fingers crossed.
Just remove these int/faith requirements goddammit.

As long as you don't get them with handle of the thing.

Yeah sweet spot damage is a bigger problem than the split phys/fire AR. It would be fine if you didn't do 50% damage depending on what part of the weapon hits. It's kinda ridiculous.

so DLC is set for tomorrow, how come that people are complaning about it? guess some stuff got leaked right? I wouldn't mind a repeated boss, if it comes from DaS I, that's it, because of the lore and stuff, and well, didn't that game had a bunch of "something" Demon copies? as long as the boss is cool I don't see much trouble

Some people have been playing it early. They are going through a bit of trouble to do so and using cheat engine, but the DLC content has been on your hard drive since you downloaded the patch.

Ruuppa

Yeah sweet spot damage is a bigger problem than the split phys/fire AR. It would be fine if you didn't do 50% damage depending on what part of the weapon hits. It's kinda ridiculous.

It's like we get a taste of what the Four Kings felt when they just bonked players with their hilts for miniscule damage.

Soulhouf

That makes sense actually so it doesn't bother me that much. Just increase the damage and remove these ridiculous requirements.

It's like we get a taste of what the Four Kings felt when they just bonked players with their hilts for miniscule damage.

Exactly :D

SoldnerKei

Some people have been playing it early. They are going through a bit of trouble to do so and using cheat engine, but the DLC content has been on your hard drive since you downloaded the patch.

and I haven't try out the patch yet, I just remember that Drangleic Sword got screwed, sad, 'cause I like that moveset

and that makes sense, people getting the data for the dlc and stuff, anyway I'll get it unlocked tomorrow, hopefully people will dig in for some jolly cooperation

chunk3rvd

Just bought a 2nd hand slim PS3 as my 40GB fatty is getting YLOD. Just about to do a system transfer and having a last minute panic - my Demon's/Dark Souls saves will transfer over yeah?

Seance

Banned
I'm talking about remaining around the meta level SL135-150.
Of course, if you go hollow, you can max-out everything. In such case why are we even arguing here. A few farming sessions with Giant Lord and you're done.

The meta is 210+. This is for all platforms.

Ruuppa

The meta is 210+. This is for all platforms.

Fromsoft approved meta is 838, sheesh. Get your facts right.
/s

I'm a firm believer of 135 - 150 being the meta. This gives a good variety in your specialization without making your character's 'build' turn into a 'pile'.

Top Bottom