• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

So I think I have explored a lot right now, killed 2 bosses and got the Crown of the Sunken King.
Decided to see what lies beyond
Cave of the Dead
(location spoiler) and yeah...F that place! Didn't die but I had to run and wasn't prepared at all for the boss fight that ensues...couldn't do sh*t :(

Xeroblade

That's the normal trajectory for almost every game ever though (that's not DOTA 2).

I have always wondered how long people play a game when it first is released, it makes sense though. To me though it looks funny because 60% dropped off of Souls II after they found out it couldnt live up to Souls 1.

Durante

I have always wondered how long people play a game when it first is released, it makes sense though. To me though it looks funny because 60% dropped off of Souls II after they found out it couldnt live up to Souls 1.
That's a strange conclusion to make considering that DS1 stabilized around 3k concurrent. Does that mean that people like DS2 twice as much as DS1?

Xeroblade

That's a strange conclusion to make considering that DS1 stabilized around 3k concurrent. Does that mean that people like DS2 twice as much as DS1?

It is but I think a lot of them including myself just like the pvp more in souls 2 than 1. Also Souls 2 is a tad bit more user friendly to new players. I wish I could have enjoyed the pvp in souls 1 just like i am currently in 2. I missed out for sure.

ElTopo

Banned
Can someone who's playing the DLC confirm this rumour for me, as being in Ireland on PS3 means I can't test until tomorrow, but word is *WARNING, MAJOR POTENTIAL SPOILERS*
after completing the DLC, if you go into the Undead Crypt where Vendrick is and with the Ashen Mist Heart, you go back in time to speak to him. Is this true?

Nope. You just enter his memory like usual.

I think I'm going to take a few days off and then try to make a go at Ancient Dragon and maybe Vendrick. If I can't beat Vendrick then I'll move on, that fight is retarded for Melee builds.

I don't think I'll be doing NG++ until there's a VAC-approved Lighting mod. I'd love to go through the game again with the original lighting engine.

If I can't beat Vendrick then I'll move on, that fight is retarded for Melee builds.
Stick to his left leg it's a safe spot. The only thing you have to watch for is him jumping back or getting too close to the wall which stops you from being able to strafe him. In which case move out and reset his position more in the centre of the room.

Ruuppa

Stick to his left leg it's a safe spot. The only thing you have to watch for is him jumping back or getting too close to the wall which stops you from being able to strafe him. In which case move out and reset his position more in the centre of the room.

Having an Agility of 100 or 105 will make that fight a lot easier for melee guys. His hits have some ridiculous hitboxes.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Vaati's impressions of the DLC made me all giddy and excited for an eventual Dark Souls 3 by the same team.

stupei

Having an Agility of 100 or 105 will make that fight a lot easier for melee guys. His hits have some ridiculous hitboxes.

I'm doing a dual wielding DEX build and he was pretty easy to avoid. The hardest part of that fight was just the patience. I'd get distracted or restless right around when he was at 1/4 health and fuck up somehow. Happened a couple times.

And I'm guessing the updates in the new patch might have really made Soul Memory cast a wider net, because I got invaded a few times on my way to the fight. Beat the game (for the first time, after taking a huge break) this morning.

Think I'll hold off on NG+ so I can play through the DLC on this build and switch my attention over to one that's sorcery/hex focused. (Though I guess people are saying sorcery kind of sucks now?)

AHA-Lambda

The new area is a lot of fun, but man is it difficult.

Glad it's not just me, took me a while to get back int he swing of things cos I haven't played in months!

Man, shit has been intense so far though, had to do a run from
the starting bonfire of the first area to the bonfire in the lake with dinosaurs
=S

hoggert

It's there:
https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...ls?smcid=ps:shop-now:ps-psn:playstation-store

But yeah no season pass. Not buying until I get that. WTF, Namco? Screw over the biggest and oldest Souls playing community, why don't you?

Bandai Namco confirmed it -_-

Not sure what I'm going to do, my backlog's huge at the moment thanks to Divinity so I might just hold off until I can get DS2 PC plus the season pass cheap. I'm not far enough in for the DLC area on any of my playthroughs as well.

Seance

Banned
I got everything except for
PWOP, repeating xb and dark quartz +3
the latter i dont care for but can anyone let me know where to get those?

ElTopo

Banned
Finished off Ancient Dragon using the Toe Trick. I don't feel bad for doing that considering... It's a hard fight but for the wrong reason I think.

A 2 month wait for the next DLC isn't too bad. I assume it will be set in the Primal Bonfire at Iron Keep.

The remaining 2 parts are crown of the Iron King and crown of the Ivory King August 26 for the former September 24.for the later.
Ah cool. Was hoping it would all come before late August when I go back to Uni, but I will probably make a fresh character so I will have plenty to do. Never tried dual wielding or dex build so I guess it's time to do those. Done everything else.

Altazor

played a bit of the DLC today.

It's great so far. Good level design, claustrophobic atmosphere
at least inside the Dragon Sanctum
which is the place I'm at now, though the enemies are a bit same-ish throughout.

Except for the
ghosts
. Man, discovering how to kill them was great. It was so fucking obvious but so easy to miss.

Played the DLC and just beat the 3 stooges...everything I hate about Dark Souls 2 wrapped up in one neat cuddly boss fight...and that run to the fog gate...stupid.

The level design is pretty nice in this though will give them that.

Overdoziz

Banned
You should have gotten a code from them. I assume you're on Steam and if so on the top left click on Game, then click on Activate a product on Steam, then enter the code. And you're good.
8a7b6c19ad.png

:/

No code in the receipt or email either. Clicking on the download button just sends me to a page explaining how to redeem codes on Steam.

Well, I just need to farm enemies for their drops now, picked up every treasure I found and killed everything at least one time.
I just hope the black phantoms didn't have special drops tho :p

ElTopo

Banned
No spoilers Please

How good is the DLC so far ? Is satisfying and complex ? Does it look consistently good and detailed visually ?

Short but extremely sweet. It does re-use assets but I thought it was done in a clever way.

8a7b6c19ad.png

:/

No code in the receipt or email either. Clicking on the download button just sends me to a page explaining how to redeem codes on Steam.

If you didn't get a code from them I'd email them.

neoism

Vaati's impressions of the DLC made me all giddy and excited for an eventual Dark Souls 3 by the same team.

yeah I really hope the same team makes DS3 I'm one of the very few who loooves DS2 but only likes DS1. I did like the darker theme in DS1 though but I really dislike DemS, it plays and looks like an alpha lol DS3 next gen from DS2 team please.....

Impressions!

Just spent a good 2.5 hours and I have to say, this DLC was incredible. The level design was compelling (albeit frustrating at times) and the phantom enemies scared the shit outta me because I ran past
the bodies you need to hit to materialize them
making it a tense experience for me. Music was okay. As usual, the shitty ps3 framerate made it a little less enjoyable. And a
whip sword?!?! Fucking baws. Also the lazer spell I definitely need to try.

I beat two bosses and I'm sure there's another one lurking around.

All in all, 9/10 from me. A solid purchase for 10 bucks and even cheaper to those lucky non-NA people that got the season pass.

Xeroblade

yeah I really hope the same team makes DS3 I'm one of the very few who loooves DS2 but only likes DS1. I did like the darker theme in DS1 though but I really dislike DemS, it plays and looks like an alpha lol DS3 next gen from DS2 team please.....

Can you imagine the insane graphics of next gen!???? Yeah neither can From.

Jaeger

So, I'm playing on NG+++ with my original character in the DLC.

I'm getting my ass kicked. I barely know where I am, the enemies are tough as fuck. Bonfires are mostly hidden or non existent.

I LOVE THIS. Level feels straight out of DS1, with DS2 mechanics I love.

Pet peeve is all the fucking invaders though. I mean, did they even play the area yet, themselves? Damn man.

ElTopo

Banned
yeah I really hope the same team makes DS3 I'm one of the very few who loooves DS2 but only likes DS1.

I'd rather a PC version of Bloodborne. Doubt it will happen though. And yeah, I liked DS2 much more then DS1 largely because it was less esoteric and had refined the mechanics of the game.

Xeroblade

Pet peeve is all the fucking invaders though. I mean, did they even play the area yet, themselves? Damn man.

This is what i feared with my NG+ Character, but it may be fun to have that. And if i hate it i have 4 other builds that are waiting outside the door.

Yeah this DLC is great stuff. I'm surprised at how intricate some of the areas here are, as opposed to just running thru it as fast as you can. It sorta reminds me of a Zelda-type dungeon where you have to find switches and stuff to keep going.

So I totally forgot this was out today, got excited and immediately signed onto PSN to purchase the season pa- what the deuce? No season pass for NA PS3 really? Makes no sense...

Edit: Curse you scamco, I'm buying them separate anyway ;_;

Top Bottom