• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

SoldnerKei

Finished DLC, a lot of stuff missed, but I killed last 2 bosses, never found the first one lol, I guess I will look for it later, last boss was freaking awesome!

edit: oh yeah, and
nashandra 2 summoned some piglets
, did she do this to someone else? it made the fight a piece of cake

GulAtiCa

So being that I haven't played the game in months, May at latest, if not April. Has there been any new patches to help improve the game? Esp the online netcode lag experience?

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
'The Crown of the Sunken King' experience is probably one of the best sections to play in the whole soul series. What I really liked is how you can proceed to play thought the sections and the bonfires placing is done just* right.

All in all, this is an awesome addition to the core game.

Edit: Got invaded a few times by human players, I won in most of the fights except 2..gotta say PvP was satisfying in a bleak place with all the ghosts without armor around you (haha).

ElTopo

Banned
Had some PVP action. Is there a good spot to farm/buy Tokens of Fidelity? I like that arena and it's annoying to clear an area of enemies in order to summon/invade.

Also, I feel like a dumbass for asking but I might as well. I have a metric ton of crap I don't need. Which NPC do I go to to sell it?

Hypron

How are you guys playing the DLC? I bought the season pass on steam last week but steam doesn't seem to want to download the DLC (shouldn't it do it automatically?).

Levyne

Banned
How are you guys playing the DLC? I bought the season pass on steam last week but steam doesn't seem to want to download the DLC (shouldn't it do it automatically?).

What do you see if you right click and "View Downloadable Content" ? You should see both the Season Pass and Crown of the Sunken King listed. When you load the game, you should get an item prompt.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member

The DLC is already present in the game (added by the latest patch), purchasing the DLC adds a key into your characters inventory which will give you access to the DLC area.

Hypron

What do you see if you right click and "View Downloadable Content" ? You should see both the Season Pass and Crown of the Sunken King listed. When you load the game, you should get an item prompt.

It looks like that:

1406097251-capture.png

I launched the game and I do not have the item so I suppose there's something else going on.

Edit: I launched the game again and this time the item pop-up came up. Weird. Thanks for the help anyway!

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I want to play the DLC based on user impressions but fuck the hell right off Scamco. Trying to bleed us with no season pass. I have a ton of PS+ games I'd rather check out.

Levyne

Banned
Yeah....that was my own reaction too when I read this post :D I was all like "I NEVER KNEW THIS, HOW COULD I HAVE MISSED THAT!?".
But this is clearly something they added for the DLC, his dialogue speaks of the crowns etc, so it's quite normal you didn't know you could do it I guess :p

Damn, I'll have to go check that out.

For those who have played, is there any known differences in the DLC in NG+ and beyond? Wondering if I should just go there with my current NG++ character, or start anew.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Well I caved in and bought it despite no season pass... bah. :(

Like it so far. Playing with my dual whip Indiana Jane toon, beat one boss (the
trio
). But I'm a bit disappointed in the graphics... everything is grey and washed out. Could have used a few more torches around to make it look nicer.

GorillaJu

That's a spear.

Whose is it? Captain Yorgh's I imagine?

Question about the mud T-Rexes:

I joined someone's game and somehow was 1-shotting all the T-rexes with Bow of Want. Is there a switch or something which makes them vulnerable? maybe it was just bugged

Newblade

Damn, what did I miss that confirms that? I've been pretty anal about checking item descriptions.

You can trade Soul of Sinh with Ornifex to obtain Yorgh's Spear. Its description says:

"Spear wielded by Sir Yorgh during his invasion of the Sanctum city.
After his defeat of the Sunken King, Sir Yorgh pierced Sinh, the sleeping dragon, with this spear to claim its blood.
But Sinh immediately awoke, spewing a poisonous fog that blanketed the city in death, and Sir Yorgh disappeared in to the Eternal Sanctum."

GorillaJu

You can trade Soul of Sinh with Ornifex to obtain Yorgh's Spear. Its description says:

"Spear wielded by Sir Yorgh during his invasion of the Sanctum city.
After his defeat of the Sunken King, Sir Yorgh pierced Sinh, the sleeping dragon, with this spear to claim its blood.
But Sinh immediately awoke, spewing a poisonous fog that blanketed the city in death, and Sir Yorgh disappeared in to the Eternal Sanctum."

Awesome, thanks for this.

I played for a little while and found three bonfires in the first area but not any bosses yet. I love how they transformed Dark Souls 2 in The Legend of Zelda... I wonder what path should I choose now, I am at the top of the first area and I'm there because I found our friend Jester and had to go back to the previous bonfire, if you know what I mean (That's how I ended up finding the three bonfires).

They nerfed my Emit Force but not the bloody Havel's Set ;_;

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
After two hits with a Gyrm Greathammer I'd expect them to at least flinch. Hell, I'd expect them to flinch after one hit but they never do. It makes fighting them a real chore.

With one L2 attack while dual wielding one Giant and one Large Club, they don't flinch. But with a second L2 attack, they do stagger or stunlock.

Appears as if their poise is extremely high.

They're staggering for me with Crypt Blacksword. Dunno what to tell ya.

You're right, they can be staggered. It seems very hit or miss though, I got one with the Gyrm Greathammer slam and he took the damage but didn't get pancaked by it. Then right after I was able to flatten him with the same attack.

--

I suddenly finished the DLC and was fairly happy with it overall. Note to self: Never bring in NPC phantoms because they will die and then you're left there doing less damage due to the buff bosses get when you summon help. After one failed attempt at the second DLC boss with the summon I strolled in there by myself and did it in like a minute, and then I did the third boss on my first try without any issues. I'm still missing two bonfires, so I've got some exploring left to do. Though I have no idea where they'd be, I feel like I was super thorough but the DLC is fairly dark in places.

Does anyone know if you get bonus souls or items for playing it on NG+?

GorillaJu

Try wearing the Stone ring, too. I haven't been so I don't know how much help it offers, but the extra poise dmg on that might do some work.

Facism

i just bought the season pass from GMG and it says there's no key available?

nevermind they're supposedly out of stock -_-

I am utterly at a loss as to whether or not I like this DLC. On the one hand, the exploration is great. On the other hand...
It has the absolute laziest boss in all the series. As in, it's so unbelievably lazy, it's amazing.
I'm so glad that I didn't buy the Season Pass. I won't feel as cheated as others may be.

GorillaJu

Bummed it's all over until the next DLC. This was an excellent little package of content.

Found the last bonfire I was missing.

Happiness! and then resignation...

[ Rate ] [ Close ]

Arcayne

I'm not entirely done with the DLC, but I've killed 2 bosses in under 2 hours. There is still one more boss I believe, and a ton load of areas I haven't explored. Considering I'm in NG, I'd estimate the entirety of the DLC is about 4 hrs, with it being a bit longer the higher your NG+.

Simply put: this DLC is short but very, very, VERY sweet. Well worth the money for the extra amazing content that is extremely reminiscent of Dark Souls interconnective, masterful level design and immersion, with an added and welcoming dose of The Legend of Zelda puzzle solving. Gj FROM.

EDIT: plus where do you access it ?

Accessed after defeating The Rotten in the Black Gulch at the primal bonfire room.

Late/Post-DLC spoilers:

So I read about being able to enter Vendrick's memory and he has some stuff to say about the crowns... That bonfire is at NG+5 for me due to farming Soul Vessels, and NG+13 on my other character! Hopefully I can even make it through to Vendrick, I just got smoked by Velstadt twice in a row.

Coldsun

Banned
Just finished the DLC (NG) with my fists (vanquisher seal). Was definitely awesome and I loved the final boss (wow).

The Zelda like puzzles were also refreshing and really changed the pace of DS2.

GorillaJu

What in the fuck was I ever doing using a Crypt Blacksword. Lightning Espada Ropera +10 is doing 850 dmg per hit and I get 7 attacks before I'm out of stamina (vs 4 with CBS).

Holy hell. The scales have fallen from my eyes.

Minamu

Back from holidays...back in business.... here is my first blind run of the king with bernhardt....you dont have to have him come, but you get the idea....I died by going yolo at first so switched to poison arrows and let the fire whittle down the first two grunts...then went toe to toe with the giant king.
I've soloed him before but these days he's strong enough to one-shot me which is a bit annoying obviously xD

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
What in the fuck was I ever doing using a Crypt Blacksword. Lightning Espada Ropera +10 is doing 850 dmg per hit and I get 7 attacks before I'm out of stamina (vs 4 with CBS).

Holy hell. The scales have fallen from my eyes.

What the...when I got my Espada Ropera, I threw it into the bonfire (glad it didn't incinerate).

Edit: whats stats do you have on your character, with respect to STR, DEX and FTH?

Danny 117

That (enemy spoiler)
Jester Thomas
is a badass. He's schooled me quite a few times.

Also, this DLC is the first time in DS2 where I feel REALLY challenged. Hell, I had two summoned players with me and they both got owned too (before him)

GorillaJu

What the...when I got my Espada Ropera and threw it into the bonfire (glad it didn't incinerate).

Edit: whats stats do you have on your character, with respect to STR, DEX and FTH?

20 str 40 dex 40 fth

Old Leo Ring, Lightning Clutch Ring
Sunlight blade

2h R2 hits for 850, 1h R1 hits for 550-ish

Jaeger

Didn't beat a single boss yet, (NG+++ is no joke in the DLC). But I managed to get to two;

The PVP like bosses? Havel being part of that group. And Elana, Nashandra 2.0.

I managed to obtain;

Drakeblood Set, and Drakeblood Greatsword
Sanctum Knight Set (with both gaunlet types) and the Sanctum Mace (sweet!)
Sanctum Priestess Tiara
Both Crossbows
Promised Walk of Peace
Denial (YES!)
Focus Souls

It's hard as crap to summon. As soon as I see their sign, it's already too late. lol

Kattbuss

It's out now on Swedish PSN so I guess it should be out for UK etc. as well.
I haven't tried the in-console store but it was available on their webpage.

Search for "sunken" and it should show up.
If you already bought the season pass then search for it and the Sunken King "level" should be listed as "free" on the same page.

J4g3r

Making it so invaders can't activate the pillars in the DLC areas was such a poor choice on From Soft's part, hope they change that.

Other than that, I absolutely adore this added content, the level design alone beats anything in the main game.

Opinions on the bosses (spoilers):

Boss 1:

THE GANK SQUAD

As someone who has played tons of PvP in all the Souls games, I love this boss. It was like fighting the most over-powered gank squad. (That AI, wow.)

Boss 2:

Elana, Squalid Queen (Mini Nashandra - Her child?)

Kind of put Nashandra to shame (which isn't exactly hard to do), another tough fight.

I don't know if it was because of my dark infused weapons, but I was doing literally NO damage to her. It was fun figuring out her different attacks and learning when to dodge (especially with her added summon).

Boss 3:

Sinh, the Slumbering Dragon

Yet another boss that I was doing hardly any damage against, I'm guessing it would have been easier if I used a Soul Vessel to switch to a Faith-based character (LIGHTNING VS DRAGONS).

Not exactly a re-skinned Kalameet, interesting move-set with a beautiful "arena" to fight it in. (Can I PvP here please, From Software?)

Really upset there was no weapon for cutting off the tail.

A bonus shout out to the
NPC invasions
throughout the DLC.

Jester Thomas doing the "This one's me" and "Mock" gestures between throwing every damn pyromancy in the game at me, brilliant.

GorillaJu

Making it so invaders can't activate the pillars in the DLC areas was such a poor choice on From Soft's part, hope they change that.

Other than that, I absolutely adore this added content, the level design alone beats anything in the main game.

Opinions on the bosses (spoilers):

Boss 1:

THE GANK SQUAD

As someone who has played tons of PvP in all the Souls games, I love this boss. It was like fighting the most over-powered gank squad. (That AI, wow.)

Boss 2:

Elana, Squalid Queen (Mini Nashandra - Her child?)

Kind of put Nashandra to shame (which isn't exactly hard to do), another tough fight.

I don't know if it was because of my dark infused weapons, but I was doing literally NO damage to her. It was fun figuring out her different attacks and learning when to dodge (especially with her added summon).

Boss 3:

Sinh, the Slumbering Dragon

Yet another boss that I was doing hardly any damage against, I'm guessing it would have been easier if I used a Soul Vessel to switch to a Faith-based character (LIGHTNING VS DRAGONS).

Not exactly a re-skinned Kalameet, interesting move-set with a beautiful "arena" to fight it in. (Can I PvP here please, From Software?)

Really upset there was no weapon for cutting off the tail.

A bonus shout out to the
NPC invasions
throughout the DLC.

Jester Thomas doing the "This one's me" and "Mock" gestures between throwing every damn pyromancy in the game at me, brilliant.

Yes! All of this.

My message at the JT fight area has 78 rating now. Dat DS social karma

Top Bottom