• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Durante

I think the first DLC level might be my favourite in all Souls games. Lots of paths, lots of secrets, and a lot of interactivity, which is rare in these games.

J4g3r

I think the first DLC level might be my favourite in all Souls games. Lots of paths, lots of secrets, and a lot of interactivity, which is rare in these games.

This is what I'm thinking.

I hold Boletarian Palace from Demon's Souls as one of the best designed areas in all the Souls games. (Heck, most games)

The way these areas of the DLC are put together and intertwined though is just fantastic.

Jaeger

Agreed. Makes me feel super excited about the rest of the DLC. Holy hell, if they are ALL like this....!

This had totally fallen off my radar, is there no dedicated OT for the DLC?

Anyways, just a quick question, I assume the 1GB update for the game that just appeared on Steam is actually the DLC data and that I'd need to buy it to unlock it?

Oh boy, can't wait to play this.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
It's out now on Swedish PSN so I guess it should be out for UK etc. as well.
I haven't tried the in-console store but it was available on their webpage.

Search for "sunken" and it should show up.
If you already bought the season pass then search for it and the Sunken King "level" should be listed as "free" on the same page.
Hey thanks! You're a star!
Just downloaded from the UK console store. Can't wait to get stuck in.

Hypron

I played a bit of the DLC. So far I'm enjoying it A LOT. The areas are very well designed: there are heaps of paths and shortcuts, you have to interact with the environment to progress... The enemy encounter are also pretty interesting and challenging. I really like what they did with those
phantoms
. Having to find their
armor to weaken them
is a nice mechanic.

On another note, that asshole
Jester guy
is way stronger than any NPC invader in the base game. I killed in on my first try after a very long fight.
It was pretty intense, I ran out of estus well before the fight so I had to get close to him and use his healing aura several times during the fight.
. I really enjoyed that fight.

The only enemies I've encountered so far that I'm not too keen on are those
knights before the boss that summons stuff. Like other people have said before me, it's really hard to stagger them. My greatsword doesn't stagger them so I resorted to using the shield bash along with a +10 heide sword. It's quite risky but if it lands I can follow up with 4/5 hits in general.

Tactics18

I'm really enjoying the DLC.

It pretty much has some of the best level design in the game. Some of it really gave me a familiar Ds1 feeling.

As for the bosses,
Elana is pretty good. Certainly better than Nashandra.
And Sinh is just fantastic. Really reminds you that souls games has the best dragon fights (except for the ancient turd).

I'll complete Cave of the Dead later today. Oh and
Jester Thomas is a total asshole.

And HOLY SHIT
I was kinda right about Vendrick. I wonder what will happen when you have the 3 crowns.

Jesus fucking christ at this level, I love it....

But
FUCK THAT FUCKING INVADING JESTER. It was like having my pants pulled down and he just tore a fucking gape in my asshole. I wish I had infinite pyromancy skills :(

Mogwai

God damn. The release of this dlc totally slipped by my mind. I'm embarrassed :S

Is it possible to get a season pass on the PS3?

Facism

So i'm told the season pass keys should be available for everyone outside of the USA, but then my support ticket gets the response that they're out of stock.

I'm hoping they don't think i'm a NA customer.

Cruxist

Is everybody having trouble on our friend
Jester Thomas
in NG+ and beyond? I had one character still in NG, so I decided to do the DLC with him. Strength build primarily with just enough faith for lightning blade. I stunlocked him after every hit. I don't even think he scratched me.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
What are you dudes' thoughts on
The creature that can only be described as the illegitimate bastard of Spiral Mountain and an Ent

Jester Thomas
in NG+ and beyond? I had one character still in NG, so I decided to do the DLC with him. Strength build primarily with just enough faith for lightning blade. I stunlocked him after every hit. I don't even think he scratched me.

I'm Soul Level 208 with a maxed out Greatsword
and I couldnt stun lock him. I had to take him into the water so he couldnt evade very fast, then I just tanked the Chaos Flames he was throwing down and melee'd him to death.

suko_32

Jester Thomas

Luckily on NG++, there was a summon sign right outside where he spawns so me and another player didn't have too much trouble beating him.

I had a lot of fun PvP'ing in the DLC area too.

Edit: Was using pure sorcery character.

NEO0MJ

So, do those strange mud-dinos drop anything interesting? I'm tempted to farm them but killing them is pretty difficult and I'd rather not waste time if I don't have to.

Altazor

Am i the only one who's reminded of some Zelda dungeons with this DLC? Especially considering the (minor) puzzle solving with the switches and stuff. It's great.

SoldnerKei

Jester Thomas
was pretty good, he almost got me, good thing I got a bunch of divine blessings

will go throu this level again with another character, using a bonfire ascetic scares me lol

that last fight, I summoned another player and the lady npc, does she heal you or something? I swear that
Sinh
almost kills me and suddenly my HP is filled out of nowhere, not full, but able to withstand a blow, also the npc life was regenerating from time to time, made the fight rather fair, I only had to be careful, that
dragon
sure can bite!

Am i the only one who's reminded of some Zelda dungeons with this DLC? Especially considering the (minor) puzzle solving with the switches and stuff. It's great.
haha, that was the first thing I thought, pushing a switch with my hunter bow, I was expecting Zelda's puzzle-solved sound to play at the background

zewone

Jester Thomas
was pretty good, he almost got me, good thing I got a bunch of divine blessings

will go throu this level again with another character, using a bonfire ascetic scares me lol

that last fight, I summoned another player and the lady npc, does she heal you or something? I swear that
Sinh
almost kills me and suddenly my HP is filled out of nowhere, not full, but able to withstand a blow, also the npc life was regenerating from time to time, made the fight rather fair, I only had to be careful, that
dragon
sure can bite!

haha, that was the first thing I thought, pushing a switch with my hunter bow, I was expecting Zelda's puzzle-solved sound to play at the background
Yeah, she casts healing spells.

Did some extra sound get added to GRS or other hex casts? I just hopped into some PVP for the first time in a while and whenever GRS flew by me it sounded kinda like a pig squealing...

stormthecastle

Neo Member
So, do those strange mud-dinos drop anything interesting? I'm tempted to farm them but killing them is pretty difficult and I'd rather not waste time if I don't have to.

I've only had them drop petrified dragon bones, which is useful if you're low and want to upgrade the weapons you get from the boss souls in this DLC.

zewone

Was anyone successful in getting a second P
uzzling
S
tone
S
word
to drop from the
gank squad
?

Boy, do I regret starting NG+ now. It's just too hard. Made it to the bottom of the pit to make my way to The Rotten, but was ambushed by
six exploding zombies and TWO red phantoms.
That's insane.

I really wanted to take this character to the DLC area after hearing good things about it. Don't have to time to be levelling an entirely new character in just NG.

GorillaJu

I dont know about you guys but playing from Japan, PvP is impossible. It's not even close to a well-coded online game where it's playable but still a little laggy. I have no idea when my attacks are hit, and "lagstab" isn't an occasional thing its every time!

Durante

Just finished the DLC on NG++. Probably took around 6 hours (with coop, so basically exploring once and doing everything again quickly).

Great levels, great bosses (particularly the final one). I'm very happy with it.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
This might be some of the finest level design in the entire series. In NG++ some of these guys and gals hit like a truck!

I got stuck last night
fighting the trio
Going to take a little bit to figure out that fight. I'm a bit too frantic right now in my decision making and don't know the area layout.

Like the base game, I'm doing it all solo and then I'll engage in some jolly cooperation afterwards.

bobawesome

Oh...I guess I really did beat the DLC last night. I didn't really like the final boss battle at all, especially considering it was
immediately after the first
. I'm still looking forward to the next two pieces of content, though. I'll probably stick with playing them on NG++ since that presents a decent challenge.

Xeroblade

I played a little this morning is there no bonfire between the first one and the next area
Dragon Sanctum?
If so just keep it spoiler free for me just a good yes or no will do. I am really hoping there isnt because it finally brings back that sense of should i go further or head back to restore my flasks/spend souls etc. I am finally worried about losing my souls. The whole entire game i never felt that once.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Really? How the hell did i miss them? lol. Oh well, I will play as if they are not there and ill keeping thinking that From didnt put them there.

You could have been like me and not realize that
you hit those glowing pillars to raise and lower towers in the area

Seriously, I made my way to the bottom of the entire level without realizing that. The first bonfire I found other than the very first one was after I beat
Jester Thomas

Jito

Banned
So what's with the orange outlines around shit since the latest update? I thought it was a GeDoSaTo bug but disabling it doesn't make them go away..
2NkZ5U2.jpg

I dont know if its been mentioned but did anyone notice
Jester Thomas
do the "This one is me" jester when he invades? Lol it was pretty funny and cool seeing that before he proceeded to destroy me.

Facism

Green man gaming are completely out of season pass keys. I'm having to wait until they restock purely because i had £12 of credit with them.

SoldnerKei

I dont know if its been mentioned but did anyone notice
Jester Thomas
do the "This one is me" jester when he invades? Lol it was pretty funny and cool seeing that before he proceeded to destroy me.

yup, he also does the "Mock" gesture, it was quite funny how he acted like a total dick, throw pyromance > mock > repeat

thou, he was the only npc invader I got, is there any other that has similar behavior?

PranooY

How the fuck I am I supposed to beat
3 bosses in one boss fight
alone? I died abt 5-7 times.

yup, he also does the "Mock" gesture, it was quite funny how he acted like a total dick, throw pyromance > mock > repeat

thou, he was the only npc invader I got, is there any other that has similar behavior?
There is another guy at the
Priestess Chamber in Shulva city
. He doesn't mock you though, but has a ton of health and does a lot of guard break.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah I LOLed when the NPC invader taunted me. Oh, From. <3 He cast Warmth too, tried to heal himself, the fucker! But then I killed him and used his own Warmth to heal myself. Joke's on you, jester!
How the fuck I am I supposed to beat
3 bosses in one boss fight
alone? I died abt 5-7 times.
They hit really hard, but each of them don't have a lot of health, fortunately. I saw tips on the ground suggesting backstabs but that's easier said than done when you keep being harassed by a knockback arrow and either Havel or katanas. For my part, when I did win, I rushed the archer, a couple of running R1 and he was dead. Then I stupidly fell into the water and couldn't find my way back up, but the annoying moving dart statues helped create a sort of bottleneck, so I whipped at the katana lady through them, and eventually there was only Havel left so that wasn't so bad.

But yeah I'd still not recommend going in the water because your mobility is reduced and those statues are annoying. But definitely take out the archer ASAP, and then maybe you have a chance at landing backstabs on the other two.

So, I tackled quite a few times the
Baneful Queen
and due to the health regeneration, I kept losing.

With just a yay or nay, do i have to do something in the dungeon before the fight in order to stop the health regeneration or that is the nature of this battle?

Mistel

Banned
From what I've played of the dlc I'm pretty apathetic towards it. It's got some nice ideas and gimmicks but it ain't exactly great.

Top Bottom