• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Oh my god that first DLC boss! I died like 10 times.

The archer was fucking annoying. But as soon as I killed him the other 2 were pretty easy.

SoldnerKei

You set alight the windmill it stops moving all the gears that stops the poison.

lol what windmill, I guess I didn't noticed her regen ability, I don't remember doing any of that, it was a hard fight, until she summoned some
pidglets
, it was hilarious

edit: duur... I get it, I got confused too, I thought you were refering to the DLC second boss

PranooY

WTF? All boss fights are a gang/boss with lot of minions vs me alone?. LOL (beat gank squad after abt 10 tries, trying Elana now). Makes it tough for those who don't wish to summon (even NPC).
Anyways I like it. :)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Holy shit. That walk to the first bonfire... That place :O

Seems like the B-team saved a bit of the good stuff.

Seems like they might have listened to the main critique and worked hard to make the DLC as good as it is. Which is nice, because that means From essentially has a team to carry on the torch when the main Souls team goes on to do other things.

stupei

Going home to play the DLC soon.

Probably a dumb question, but since it's a sort of new area: once you start in there, you can still use the bonfire to warp out at any time, right?

SoldnerKei

Going home to play the DLC soon.

Probably a dumb question, but since it's a sort of new area: once you start in there, you can still use the bonfire to warp out at any time, right?

yup, I warped from there to Majula, back and forth, equipment repair lel

stupei

Thanks. I assumed as much, but figured it'd be good to double check how many arrows to buy before heading in.

Sounds like the DLC is going to be a blast.

Levyne

Banned
I think the DLC is pretty good, find bonfires feels relieving again, the puzzle like nature of the area. I think the specific ghost enemy mechanic is interesting too. Makes re-treading the area a little more lax.

Unfortunately, it's a tad short. Still going to go back in to try to wrap up items but I just wish there was more. Yeah, I know it sounds greedy :/

SoldnerKei

Unfortunately, it's a tad short. Still going to go back in to try to wrap up items but I just wish there was more. Yeah, I know it sounds greedy :/

well if you didn't explore the houses, indeed, it feels short, there's a buch to explore yet in my game, killed last two bosses and took me like 3-4 hours to get throu everything, thou I was summoned a couple of time, that took time too, I will explore a bit and they re-play the area with another character

Ruuppa

So I just finished my Pyromancy-only run (sans Ancient Dragon and DLC, gonna do those next), and some thoughts:

+ Fire Whip is bloody amazing once you get used to the range. Too bad you only get 1 scroll per playthrough.
+ The Storms are solid AoE spells, albeit the damage can be on the low side if your enemy doesn't poisetank the damage.
+ No actual stat requirements if you don't want the Pyromancies for damage. Warmth is excellent for just about everyone, and Flash Sweat has its uses.
+ Poison and Toxic Mist are quite excellent on certain bosses, and on normal enemies as well. Usually it only takes one cast of each to inflict the status, and with both on, they'll be taking a lot of damage.
+/- Lingering Flame deals really good damage in a nice AoE, but is slow to cast and takes 2 attunement slots. Executioner's Chariot is really easy with them though.
+/- Immolation is still useless.
- The attack power of many Pyromancies is lackluster for the amount of casts you get. Fire Orb is 7 casts at 60 Att, and you only find one of those per playthrough unless you farm Salamanders. Great Fireball is at 5 casts, same deal with Fire Orb. You only find 2 scrolls of Fireball, and both of those attuned puts you at 26 casts, whereas a Sorc gets 30 casts of Soul Arrows right off the bat.
- The buffs (Iron Skin and Flash Sweat) are really situational, and the GMB miracle is a straight upgrade from Flash Sweat. Power Within woulda been nice.
- Once more to the damage: The damage scales with the Pyromancy Flame, but Fire shares the damage bonus directly with Dark Bonus, which is Int + Faith. If you don't raise those stats, you're crippling your damage output, and if you're raising them, you might as well be using Hexes.

Overall: Once you get enough casts via repeated playthroughs, yeah, all's good. Especially once you get Forbidden Sun, but you can still do a lot more damage by hexing.

Iron Keep was a huge pain in the backside. I had to speedrun through it since I was doing peanuts on the knights. Iron King was nicely susceptible to poison though.

So I just finished my Pyromancy-only run (sans Ancient Dragon and DLC, gonna do those next), and some thoughts:

+ Fire Whip is bloody amazing once you get used to the range. Too bad you only get 1 scroll per playthrough.
+ The Storms are solid AoE spells, albeit the damage can be on the low side if your enemy doesn't poisetank the damage.
+ No actual stat requirements if you don't want the Pyromancies for damage. Warmth is excellent for just about everyone, and Flash Sweat has its uses.
+ Poison and Toxic Mist are quite excellent on certain bosses, and on normal enemies as well. Usually it only takes one cast of each to inflict the status, and with both on, they'll be taking a lot of damage.
+/- Lingering Flame deals really good damage in a nice AoE, but is slow to cast and takes 2 attunement slots. Executioner's Chariot is really easy with them though.
+/- Immolation is still useless.
- The attack power of many Pyromancies is lackluster for the amount of casts you get. Fire Orb is 7 casts at 60 Att, and you only find one of those per playthrough unless you farm Salamanders. Great Fireball is at 5 casts, same deal with Fire Orb. You only find 2 scrolls of Fireball, and both of those attuned puts you at 26 casts, whereas a Sorc gets 30 casts of Soul Arrows right off the bat.
- The buffs (Iron Skin and Flash Sweat) are really situational, and the GMB miracle is a straight upgrade from Flash Sweat. Power Within woulda been nice.
- Once more to the damage: The damage scales with the Pyromancy Flame, but Fire shares the damage bonus directly with Dark Bonus, which is Int + Faith. If you don't raise those stats, you're crippling your damage output, and if you're raising them, you might as well be using Hexes.

Overall: Once you get enough casts via repeated playthroughs, yeah, all's good. Especially once you get Forbidden Sun, but you can still do a lot more damage by hexing.

Iron Keep was a huge pain in the backside. I had to speedrun through it since I was doing peanuts on the knights. Iron King was nicely susceptible to poison though.

Didnt know you need faith for Pyros, also how do you feel the pyro after the nerfs? is still overdinamic compared to the other casters?

I really should stay out of this thread since I won't be able to play until this weekend, but it is drawing me in. So far impressions seem positive. A few mixed responses but it sounds like this is a great start to the dlc.

Glad to hear folks on ng++ are getting through it since that is where I am and was a little worried it would be too hard.

Is there an "extra hard path" as hinted from the devs? Does it live up to the hype?

Mogwai

Seems like they might have listened to the main critique and worked hard to make the DLC as good as it is. Which is nice, because that means From essentially has a team to carry on the torch when the main Souls team goes on to do other things.
Yeah, seems like they just needed a little guidance.

Been playing an hour now and so far the difficulty seems much better and I've only found the first bonfire so far. I'm satisfied ^^

Sami+

Does anyone happen to have a spare Steam key they'd be willing to sell? I want to buy one for my girlfriend so we can play together.

Speaking of which, actually, is there any sort of mod akin to DSCFix for DkS2? Something that'll make it easier to connect to people on your friends list and whatnot.

devo1989

Does anyone happen to have a spare Steam key they'd be willing to sell? I want to buy one for my girlfriend so we can play together.

Speaking of which, actually, is there any sort of mod akin to DSCFix for DkS2? Something that'll make it easier to connect to people on your friends list and whatnot.

The name-engraved ring sold by the cat in Majula makes co-op really easy.

Ruuppa

Didnt know you need faith for Pyros, also how do you feel the pyro after the nerfs? is still overdinamic compared to the other casters?

Fire Bonus scales evenly with Int and Faith, same as Dark Bonus. Weird, I know. At the moment my Fire Bonus is actually less than my Dark Bonus: 123 vs. 126 at 22 Int/Fai.

I wouldn't say they are overdynamic; The only thing Pyromancy has is damage-dealing spells. The three buffs are extremely situational, and one of them is utterly useless. The ability to Poison and Toxic enemies is an extremely good thing, but Hexes has a faster acting Poison spell in Dark Fog.. At least we got Toxic for Pyromancers, eh?

Forbidden Sun, which I just got, takes *3* slots and only gives 2 casts at 60 Att, with a maximum amount of 3 without buffs. The most powerful spells of other schools (Sorc/Mira/Hex) give a more casts, take less slots and are by-and-large more powerful as well.

I'd only advise on using Pyromancies as a sideline on primarily melee character. Flame Weapon, Warmth, Flash Sweat, Iron Skin and the two Mist pyromancies have good utility value.

Edit: Just found out that you can use either Int or Faith to upgrade Fire Bonus. I've been upgrading them evenly to get access to all the gear from NPCs.

Mistel

Banned
So what's everyone's opinion on the 1st DLC? I do not plan on playing it until all are released.
For me it shows that they can design interesting interconnected areas that works well to reward your exploration. Enemy wise it's has interesting concepts that work kinda alright with a bit of variety too them.

It still has the whole throw lots of enemies at you at once thing going on in a few places or status effects galore in the cave of the dead. I don't like the whole puzzle element myself but that's just me. It's not exactly as bad as some of the worse parts of game but it's better than a lot of the iffy areas in the base game.

Sullichin

I'm invading constantly in the DLC at SL150/2.6M SM, NG. I'm actually.. not having a terrible experience with Soul Memory.

For me it shows that they can design interesting interconnected areas that works well to reward your exploration. Enemy wise it's has interesting concepts that work kinda alright with a bit of variety too them.

It still has the whole throw lots of enemies at you at once thing going on in a few places or status effects galore in the cave of the dead. I don't like the whole puzzle element myself but that's just me. It's not exactly as bad as some of the worse parts of game but it's better than a lot of the iffy areas in the base game.

I thought the puzzle stuff was fairly light for what you needed to get through the DLC, but mostly it's fun to navigate an area that's so mazelike, compared to the base game.

Also, one enemy type people may have been concerned about
the beasts at the imperfect bonfire
turned out to be way more fun to fight than I expected.

ElTopo

Banned
I did some PVP and something bugs me and I'm not sure if it's netcode related or not. I've noticed quite a few times a dude would commit to a heavy attack, right in front of me, I block it, I go to attack, he's able to roll away. I assume he must have a shitload of points in Agility and Poise but I just want to know for sure.

I was fighting this dude called Chuck who had a dual wield whip build, I think he was trolling me, but he would do dual attack with the whips, I'd be right in front of him or roll to his side right after his attack finished and I just couldn't tag him.

I'm Soul Level 208 with a maxed out Greatsword
and I couldnt stun lock him. I had to take him into the water so he couldnt evade very fast, then I just tanked the Chaos Flames he was throwing down and melee'd him to death.

I two handed great clubbed him into powder. He never got in a hit.

vgBR.com

Banned
Just beat this guy now at the DLC:

http://youtu.be/j8eWa9lPAl8

Tough fight... is it me or all the fights and monsters on the DLC are much tougher? I feel like I could up 20 levels and they would be just as tough.

Also, didn't like the map design at first... relies too much on ranged weapons. My characters is mainly melee so you can imagine the hard time I had with the collumns.

Mistel

Banned
I thought the puzzle stuff was fairly light for what you needed to get through the DLC, but mostly it's fun to navigate an area that's so mazelike, compared to the base game.
I've got no patience what so ever with puzzles they just drive me up the wall. Hence not liking them.
Love the Flynn's Ring. 14VIT, 50STR (+that tasty lip balm), ROB+2 with Butcher's Knife and light (obviously) armor.
How does that ring actually work the lower the vitality or lower the equip load/how much damage is added?

Sullichin

I've got no patience what so ever with puzzles they just drive me up the wall. Hence not liking them.

How does that ring actually work the lower the vitality or lower the equip load/how much damage is added?

I'm not sure how much I'll bother with the switch puzzles on future playthroughs. The loot isn't that great. Does anyone know if you can farm the old growth balm?

You get a physical AR bonus based on how low your total equip weight stat is. The max bonus seems to be 50, equivalent to another Ring of Blades +2. I got this with 14 VIT. Royal Soldiers/Dragon rings increase equip weight stat so they lower the bonus.

Your current equip weight doesn't matter, just the total equip weight stat. I'm glad it works this way, it actually encourages making a particular build rather than just equipment loadout

neoism

lol I spent like 3 hours in the first area(first bonfire) killing and falling off the edges lol.... <3 <3 <3 great dlc its looking like it will take me some time to complete.

Mistel

Banned
I'm not sure how much I'll bother with the switch puzzles on future playthroughs. The loot isn't that great. Does anyone know if you can farm the old growth balm?

You get a physical AR bonus based on how low your total equip weight stat is. The max bonus seems to be 50, equivalent to another Ring of Blades +2. I got this with 14 VIT. Royal Soldiers/Dragon rings increase equip weight stat so they lower the bonus.

Your current equip weight doesn't matter, just the total equip weight stat. I'm glad it works this way, it actually encourages making a particular build rather than just equipment loadout
I'm not even bothering this time around. That's how much they irritate me. But Flynn's ring should work wonders with low equip load high endurance characters maybe with a poison weapon. Transparent Aurorus armor doesn't work with it does it?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm not even bothering this time around. That's how much they irritate me. But Flynn's ring should work wonders with low equip load high endurance characters maybe with a poison weapon. Transparent Aurorus armor doesn't work with it does it?
From my basic tests, what you have equipped isn't affected, it's purely based on your max Equip Load stat. Like Sullichin said, if you equip, say, a Dragon Ring or a Royal Soldier ring, your attack bonus decreases a bit because those increase your Equip Load.

Still really good even with a dragon ring. I wear it + ring of blade+1 (still in NG on this toon) and they stack, gives quite the attack bonus.

Top Bottom