• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

I did some PVP and something bugs me and I'm not sure if it's netcode related or not. I've noticed quite a few times a dude would commit to a heavy attack, right in front of me, I block it, I go to attack, he's able to roll away. I assume he must have a shitload of points in Agility and Poise but I just want to know for sure.

I was fighting this dude called Chuck who had a dual wield whip build, I think he was trolling me, but he would do dual attack with the whips, I'd be right in front of him or roll to his side right after his attack finished and I just couldn't tag him.

It's just latency. Sometimes I'll even hear the weapon hitting them but apparently they have actually rolled away in time for it to miss.

Zocano

I am absolutely loving this dlc. I think it's easily one of the most creative level designs in the series. Easily rivaling Sen's and Latria. I've spent at least 4 hours (?) on the dlc and haven't beat any bosses. Taking my sweet time exploring.

I firmly think from level design, dark souls 2 is more consistent and overall better than it's predecessor although Demon's is still far above either game.
Somehow I skipped the trio boss and got to the queen. Oh well, I've plenty to explore.

ElTopo

Banned
It's just latency. Sometimes I'll even hear the weapon hitting them but apparently they have actually rolled away in time for it to miss.

Damn Japanese and their Delay-Based Netcode...

I'm surprised the game doesn't try to match by region or is it already doing that but badly?

vgBR.com

Banned
Is
Sinh, The Slumbering Dragon
the final boss of the DLC?

Is that it? If so I had beaten it pretty damn quick.

Had some help for sure, but was not a hard battle at all.

Im upping the video and will post soon.

Levyne

Banned
Man, that optional DLC boss was super tough. I never feel like I'm doing a lot of damage. Sorry to be vague , but it I want powerful sorceries, what should I be wearing and using? I'm wearing mostly the Hexer's set and I have a dark transgressor staff plus 10 (I do hexes too)

Foggy

Sweet Jesus! Just beat the
Trio
solo.

Didn't feel good about it either. The stinkiest kind of cheese. Run around like a chicken with my head cut off and hope my two-handed greatsword launches the archer into the air. Once the archer was done, repeated the running around with my head cut off until I could isolate Capt. katana and gave him the same treatment. Finally ended up with Phavel and cheesed him by dancing around a random grouping of stalactites(?) in the ground. Still, I'm rocking that flower skirt with pride!

vgBR.com

Banned
Sweet Jesus! Just beat the
Trio
solo.

I did it as well... but I didn't find it as difficult as Elana was.
Whenever she summoned Veldstat I knew I was dead.

Video of my solo fight with the trio here:

http://youtu.be/kyCVHV40l-0

Took some time, but it was just a matter of getting your room and get them one at a time when possible and keeping this pace. The level design is superb for that.

2AdEPT

How long is the DLC ?

EDIT: plus where do you access it ?

Thanks !
you can watch the preliminary route to get going HERE
****note despite just starting out I will spoil some early strats to find some of the hard to get items later in the vid******

That set raises equip load by 5% so it should effect it.

so that' s why vaaati had a ridiculously low VIT stat when I watched his first impressions vid. I hate that they are punishing those of us who like to stay under 20% and max the rolling stats. I only have a vanquisher seal chick to do this on PC unless I start a new character from scratch...

Love the Flynn's Ring. 14VIT, 50STR (+that tasty lip balm), ROB+2 with Butcher's Knife and light (obviously) armor.

did you record your playthrough?!?! Boss fights?!?!!?

Sullichin

you can watch the preliminary route to get going HERE
****note despite just starting out I will spoil some early strats to find some of the hard to get items later in the vid******

so that' s why vaaati had a ridiculously low VIT stat when I watched his first impressions vid. I hate that they are punishing those of us who like to stay under 20% and max the rolling stats. I only have a vanquisher seal chick to do this on PC unless I start a new character from scratch...

did you record your playthrough?!?! Boss fights?!?!!?

Just the Sinh fight using Flynn's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tExKvDAqgA4

NBtoaster

Killed both bosses except for last and missing one bonfire, did I over look something simple somewhere?

First one in Dragon Sanctum.

There are a bunch of white pillars in the city you can shoot that raises a path to a bonfire.

edit: oh nvm, you mean you're missing the one in Dragon Sanctum.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Killed both bosses except for last and missing one bonfire, did I over look something simple somewhere?

First one in Dragon Sanctum.

It's hidden in the area with all the spikes and the ghosts. You need to hit a wall switch to lift a panel. You can also reach the Sanctum crossbow loot with that. Look around a bit for wall switches, read messages, some should tell you.

burgerdog

It's hidden in the area with all the spikes and the ghosts. You need to hit a wall switch to lift a panel. You can also reach the Sanctum crossbow loot with that. Look around a bit for wall switches, read messages, some should tell you.

I know exactly where you're talking about, that switch has been eluding me for a long time. I'll explore some more before bed.

Found it. Thanks!

Zocano

Holy fucking shit I just beat the (dlc boss)
Queen
. That battle is tough shit.
Also I never found this trio some people mentioned. Are they before or after Sinh?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Holy fucking shit I just beat the (dlc boss)
Queen
. That battle is tough shit.
Also I never found this trio some people mentioned. Are they before or after Sinh?

Before. I missed at as well. Glad I found it because it's my favorite fight in the DLC.

Still haven't beaten the big bad, but the DLC is pretty great! Love the concept and the design of the area - felt more like Demon's.

I just wish there was more of it :(

ElTopo

Banned
For me, the
Trio
was probably the hardest boss battle in the game.

No question. It would probably be a really fun fight if you summoned.

Took me forever to separate Havel from the Rapier dude. And the Rapier dude likes to go for the guard break and if his guard break whiffs you can't punish it. I could only randomly stun either of them and just when I could go in for a kill the other dude runs in there. They also randomly chug an Estus too. Not sure if the Sniper chugs an Estus though.

For me, the
Trio
was probably the hardest boss battle in the game.

This. Fight. Is. Fucking. Awful.

Now I fully understand why the derogative "B-Team" label gets thrown about, because this is one of the worst encounters I've experienced in a Souls game, let alone any game.

Nothing is good about it. Everything feels unbalanced and cheap. There's a fucking
Havel
running about like he's on speed and rollerblades, for Christ's sake.

This has just taken me out of the experience 100%. You can't be throwing 3 faster-than-PvP opponents at you that negate their own fucking animations and laugh at the concept of stamina, especially when your hit detection is this sketchy.

What a fucking shambles.

Zocano

The DLC probably took me about 8-10 hours total so far? I was thoroughly exploring as much as I could and I still have stuff to explore. Dunno how people beat it so fast unless they were just rushing.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Took me forever to separate Havel from the Rapier dude. And the Rapier dude likes to go for the guard break and if his guard break whiffs you can't punish it. I could only randomly stun either of them and just when I could go in for a kill the other dude runs in there. They also randomly chug an Estus too. Not sure if the Sniper chugs an Estus though.

All you really need to do is bait the Havel guy into attacking. It takes him quite awhile to recover from his swings so you're free to get a few shots in on rapier dude.

mickcenary said:
You can't be throwing 3 faster-than-PvP opponents at you that negate their own fucking animations and laugh at the concept of stamina, especially when your hit detection is this sketchy.

Well, if they didn't have advantages, it would be a very boring fight.

I love it. There's so much more to it than dodging or blocking at the right time, which is 99% of all Souls boss battles.

50 Strength + Gyrm Greathammer made short work of all the bosses, though I played through it with a NG character. Specific boss spoilers follow:

The trio wasn't too bad because there's a safe area with water in it you can drop into to split them up briefly. Then it's pancake time! Nashandra's friend I died to once but then I came back without the NPC summon and was doing insane damage. Also I got lucky and she never summoned Velstadt, only skeletons. The dragon was a closer figth though, used all my estus but I felt pretty in control during the whole thing. That toxic fire is real mean though!

How come my lightning spear uses went down from 11 to 3 uses per slot?

Oh, that was patched :-/. Don't really notice a massive increase in damage either.

Durante

I loved it on NG++.

It may be the only battle in the game balanced around having a full party of 3.

It's also far more interesting than most fights, because it's not just about being good at recognizing and dodging patterns, it's about controlling space and spatial awareness. I hope the so-called "A team" learns something from it.

NBtoaster

I like how you can be hacking away at
Sinh's back legs and he will just look back at you and blast you.

I cut off his tail, doesn't do anything. It actually makes the fight harder because you can't hit him while he's doing the standing breath attack.

ElTopo

Banned
All you really need to do is bait the Havel guy into attacking. It takes him quite awhile to recover from his swings so you're free to get a few shots in on rapier dude.

Trying to bait him to attack and also block the Rapier dude or roll out of the way drains stamina, and the Rapier dude isn't easy either. Once I got rid of the Archer I tried my best to separate the other two and get one or two hits on one and run away and try and separate them again.

Just a quick question: In shulva you have these pillars which you have to "attack" in order to get to the second bonfire. On the right side there's another (single) pillar, does it have any use? I hope you know which pillar I mean as there a plenty of them in Shulva.

the mark

I've downloaded the DLC and it was only 100kb (PS3)…was it on the disc the whole time or was it in one of the last patches? Sorry if this has been asked a lot.

batbeg

Apparently I missed all the bonfires in Shulva City as well, lol. I know to use the switches but guess I just didn't explore thoroughly enough.

Mistel

Banned
No idea who that is. Isn't the Flynn's ring helping you in that scenario?

NBtoaster

Found the ent thing. What a guy.

edit: And trio down. I don't really like the concept of the fight but it wasn't too bad in the end. Got easy when the archer went down.

Very high quality DLC. Great loot, fights and level design.

I think the only treasures I'm missing are from the 4 crystal lizards in that one room. I think I got everything else.
The drakeblood set is good. Almost as good as Vengarls except it upgrades with shards which I think puts it ahead.
I assume all the empty chests represents the drakeblood guys looting the place.

Gattsu25

Banned

Now I fully understand why the derogative "B-Team" label gets thrown about, because this is one of the worst encounters I've experienced in a Souls game, let alone any game.

Nothing is good about it. Everything feels unbalanced and cheap. There's a fucking
Havel
running about like he's on speed and rollerblades, for Christ's sake.

This has just taken me out of the experience 100%. You can't be throwing 3 faster-than-PvP opponents at you that negate their own fucking animations and laugh at the concept of stamina, especially when your hit detection is this sketchy.

What a fucking shambles.
Are we talking Dragon Shrine Mace Wielder levels of speed + infinite stamina, here?

I loved it on NG++.

It may be the only battle in the game balanced around having a full party of 3.

It's also far more interesting than most fights, because it's not just about being good at recognizing and dodging patterns, it's about controlling space and spatial awareness. I hope the so-called "A team" learns something from it.

You're probably right in that regard. I've been trying to do it solo on NG+ and it's just a mess; a difficult fucking mess. Granted, this is the first time I've booted up DS2 in months, but man, even with an SL250 build, it's just not worth the heartache. I am using enormous, slow weapons, so maybe that's my undoing. As for the arena, I can't say I like that the lower level has actual dead ends, though. That's slightly bullshit.

I dunno. I took
Sinh
down in about 5 attempts and
Squalid Queenie
in about 8, so I'm not a bonafide DS spaz.

Anyway, I enjoyed the DLC. The level design, for one, is a lot better than the majority of the vanilla game, which is a fairly bittersweet compliment. Bar the
Trio
, the bosses were highly enjoyable. I reckon we could've done with maybe one or two more armour sets and whatnot, but the content is definitely not lacking in value. I was actually surprised at how challenging it was, which is a good thing, but I feel like a lot of it was way too obtuse. I mean, having a more or less hidden bonfire for the ghost-packed area preceding
Jester Thomas
... That's a bit much, From. I should also mention that I don't have Live, so all hints/summons were MIA.

Are we talking Dragon Shrine Mace Wielder levels of speed + infinite stamina, here?

Stamina? Less so. Speed? More so. If you're on your own, you will have negative breathing room. It's fucked. Their attacks track like pre-nerf Amana Soul Arrows on crack. It's clearly an encounter designed for 2-3 capable human players, which is fair enough, but it doesn't undo the souring for me.

Top Bottom