• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Lanrutcon

From B team.

Wtf are you doing to Havel.

Just...use your own characters. Have ladder guy jumping around while the Sephiroth theme plays or some shit.

Jaeger

Sinh
was awesome. Made me have feels about the awesome
Kalameet
and his battle. Awesome name, awesome music, and his was AI was pretty good. Kept changing his attacks up which was cool.

And his design is very similar to Kalameet (doesn't seem to have the large center eye). Also, seeing Yorgh's large ass spear chucked through his body was fucking cool. Him having a mix of poison and fire attacks was interesting, too. Can't just run around like a mad man like I did with Kalameet. So you are essentially dodging melee and fire attacks, while not running blindly into poison mist spots. Excellent.

He definitely did one familiar attack from Kalameet. Stood striaght up and shot fire at his local AoE.
And
Yorgh's Spear
is easily my favorite
new weapon
from the DLC.

I am super excited for the next part of the DLC Trio.

UrbanRats

I'm quite enjoying this DLC.

I thought the
initial city
wasn't to great, it's
labyrinthic
, yes, but it reminded me too much of the Artorias of the Abyss DLC.
However
the temple inside
was pretty cool, in terms of atmosphere.

It's all a bit bare though, a recurring problem with the game.

Also found the first boss, and it completely destroyed me
(three dudes, Havel, A Lucatiel-looking lady and one with the Alva set)

Facism

finally got the expansion. Already feels more Dark Souls than Dark Souls II.

Having to play at NG++++ because that's the only character I've got that can access the DLC without needing to playthrough the base game lol. Figured out the switches, found the second bonfire, leaving it there for the time being. Loving the area so far.

ultron87

Played a few hours of the DLC. It is really great. Really feels like some fresh stuff I haven't seen in a Souls game before, and I love how the area is designed and everything fits together. It is sweet that, unlike a lot of DS2, this section would totally be playable and fun without bonfire warping. There are enough built in shortcuts that you could totally get around without getting stuck at the bottom or anything.

I'm really hyped for the next two months having two more drops of what should hopefully be really high quality Dark Souls content. There isn't much in games that compares to exploring an entirely new section of a Souls game.

Didn't get to a boss yet, but
the Jester Pyromancer phantom gave me a couple pretty solid fights before he went down.

Ruuppa

Ok, NG+ trio fight is doing my fucking head in. When Havel flew through the air and did a complete 180 to land on me with his jump attack... For fuck's sake.

Fake edit: Beat the fuckers. Have a couple webm's of the amazing majestic Havel in action:

http://a.pomf.se/iaapyq.webm

http://a.pomf.se/aatrty.webm

Thankfully after that I landed two parries and destroyed him.

That tracking. My god. Why do enemies have such amazing auto-tracking, whyyy? He changed his direction 120 degrees while in mid-air, good lord. (I know our own jump tracking is just as ridiculous.)

UrbanRats

Didn't get to a boss yet, but
the Jester Pyromancer phantom gave me a couple pretty solid fights before he went down.

Yeah
npc invasions in the DLC are much much harder.
To the point where
i'm questioning their fairness though: An npc with a spear invaded me in front of the third bonfire in the citadel, and he canceled a jumping attack mid-air to roll backwards and avoid my attack, i didn't even know you could do that.
Luckily he was easy to parry.

Mistel

Banned
That tracking. My god. Why do enemies have such amazing auto-tracking, whyyy? He changed his direction 120 degrees while in mid-air, good lord. (I know our own jump tracking is just as ridiculous.)
Varg does that a whole lot. It's like a ballet dancer in full havel's with a great hammer and shield. Think he won't get you and he pulls of a twirl and whacks you.

zewone

This. Fight. Is. Fucking. Awful.

Now I fully understand why the derogative "B-Team" label gets thrown about, because this is one of the worst encounters I've experienced in a Souls game, let alone any game.

Nothing is good about it. Everything feels unbalanced and cheap. There's a fucking
Havel
running about like he's on speed and rollerblades, for Christ's sake.

This has just taken me out of the experience 100%. You can't be throwing 3 faster-than-PvP opponents at you that negate their own fucking animations and laugh at the concept of stamina, especially when your hit detection is this sketchy.

What a fucking shambles.
Heh, I couldn't have more of an opposite reaction. One of my favorite fights. I spent about 4 hours last night putting my summon sign down last night in front of the fog to keep playing it.

zewone

So any word yet on whether it's better to play the DLC with a fresh character or can I use my NG++ character?
Do you want a challenge? Go with NG++. Even with my SL190 character, you can't plow through it. Really enjoyed how difficult the DLC area was.

ultron87

Yeah
npc invasions in the DLC are much much harder.
To the point where
i'm questioning their fairness though: An npc with a spear invaded me in front of the third bonfire in the citadel, and he canceled a jumping attack mid-air to roll backwards and avoid my attack, i didn't even know you could do that.
Luckily he was easy to parry.

Yeah, I definitely felt that a bit too.
I fought that spear guy and his turning radius and reactions seemed pretty insane. I had the poise to tank him and just maneuver for a backstab, but he seemed like he could be pretty difficult otherwise. The Jester also seemed like he could throw his stuff at rather unfair angles so that you really couldn't sidestep around them and had to dodge through it. Which would give him the time to run away. If I didn't have fire resist gear to stack the Pyromancer would've been incredibly tough to beat, I think. And even with the gear he wasn't easy at all.

Jaeger

So any word yet on whether it's better to play the DLC with a fresh character or can I use my NG++ character?

It's naturally much harder with a NG+ and beyond character. I'm doing it with a +3 character. Whether you want it to be harder or not is up to you. Most people who play Souls want the challenge. DLC is much tougher and thus longer this way.

Sullichin

No idea who that is. Isn't the Flynn's ring helping you in that scenario?
Nope, it gives you a bonus based on your max equip stat. It doesn't matter what you currently have equipped.

you can watch the preliminary route to get going HERE
****note despite just starting out I will spoil some early strats to find some of the hard to get items later in the vid******

so that' s why vaaati had a ridiculously low VIT stat when I watched his first impressions vid. I hate that they are punishing those of us who like to stay under 20% and max the rolling stats. I only have a vanquisher seal chick to do this on PC unless I start a new character from scratch...

did you record your playthrough?!?! Boss fights?!?!!?

I prefer that it works this way. It's a sacrifice and not everyone is going to use it. It's hard to stay under 30% or even 50% with 14VIT. If it worked based on your current equip weight, there wouldn't be a movement/stamina regen penalty, and you could just use third dragon/royal soldiers as your other two rings to keep your weight low, have good armor and still use Flynn's/ROB.

I use this batch file that a fellow Gaffer made.

For recording the footage I use Shadowplay at 60fps.

Thank you! I'll definitely use that batch file. I just use FRAPS to record though since I have an AMD card. It doesn't work with those right?

Mistel

Banned
Nope, it gives you a bonus based on your max equip stat. It doesn't matter what you currently have equipped.
Still talking about the transparent armor of Aurous that raises equip load. That should effect it as you said equip load boosting stuff lowers the bonus:
Royal Soldiers/Dragon rings increase equip weight stat so they lower the bonus.
So it does matter what you have equipped then?

Sorry if this has been answered, but how does the game tell you where to go upon receiving the talon key? I knew where to find the DLC area because of GAF, but I'm just wondering. Do NPC's talk about it or something?

PranooY

Just beat the DLC. It was great (not AOTA great, but still).
So excited for the next one.

Btw please tell me what else I have left to check out.
Beat 3 bosses. Beat 2 NPC Invaders. Met the repair tree.
Any thing else I missed?
I heard there was something to do with Vendrick. Also I heard people discussing abt whose spear pierced Sinh. How to know that?(Found it). Btw Yorgh is a bad guy? The king erected the city and dragon slept peacefully. Why would he poke the dragon?

Any thing else I missed?
I heard there was something to do with Vendrick. Also I heard people discussing abt whose spear pierced Sinh. How to know that?.

About Vendrick
it unlock a new memory on the undead crypt

Levyne

Banned

Any thing else I missed?
I heard there was something to do with Vendrick. Also I heard people discussing abt whose spear pierced Sinh. How to know that?.

Got back into where you fought Vendrick for a little memory bit, it's not much but an interesting addition.

Apparantly, you learn more about Yorgh from the weapon description of his spear which you get by trading in Sinh's soul to Ornifex.

Mistel

Banned
Any thing else I missed?
For the memories of Vendrick go to his room in the undead crypt you just need the ashen heart mist to access it. As for Yorgh here's some lore spoiler obviously. His spear is a weapon you make at Ornifex's with
Sinh soul.
The item description tells you where to go.
It's also on the obelisk in Majula.

PranooY

For the memories of Vendrick go to his room in the undead crypt you just need the ashen heart mist to access it. As for Yorgh here's some lore spoiler obviously. His spear is a weapon you make at Ornifex's with
Sinh soul.

It's also on the obelisk in Majula.

There is a DS2 lore thread? How did I miss this? Thanks a lot. Going to spent the night getting summoned for the Gank Squad boss and reading the Lore thread.

ok i bought the DLC, i'm a sheep. Just finished. I think? Maybe not.

It's not as hard as some people claim., except the bosses.
The worst enemy in the game : holes.
Died only four times from regular enemies ( lvl 130). Maybe because i take my time and i'm super cautious.

Questions :

- How can some people pretend to finish it in 3 hours? Are you lvl 300? You just rush in a straight line without exploring? I'm 8 hours in and i probably didn't discover everything.

- What the hell is
the green tree with a face? I killed it, but somehow i feel i shoudn't have...

- A message pop-up when
i got the King's Crown. Put it on, nothing happens. What to do?

GorillaJu

Died only four times from regular enemies ( lvl 130). Maybe because i take my time and i'm super cautious.

Questions :

- How can some people pretend to finish it in 3 hours? Are you lvl 300? You just rush in a straight line without exploring? I'm 8 hours in and i probably didn't discover everything.

- What the hell is

- A message pop-up when

The creepy tree repairs your gear if you hit with a whip.

As for your second question, this DLC is one of three parts. It seems like you'll get a different crown in each of the three DLC, so we'll find out more as it gets further along. Perhaps a new boss will appear when you gain the three crowns.

Just popping in to say that this feels way more fresh than the base game did to me for some reason. Accessed all of the bosses, only beat one so far. Level design is challenging, good shortcuts, doubles back on itself, the bosses themselves are actually very interesting to fight.

I'm extremely pleased.

PranooY

Questions :

- What the hell is

- A message pop-up when
I'm lvl 222 on NG+. I explored every nook and cranny. It took me only 4-5 hrs. You shouldn't have killed the Repair tree and that message will probably make sense once, all dlcs are out.

The creepy tree repairs your gear if you hit with a whip.

As for your second question, this DLC is one of three parts. It seems like you'll get a different crown in each of the three DLC, so we'll find out more as it gets further along. Perhaps a new boss will appear when you gain the three crowns.
Thanks!

burgerdog

Now I fully understand why the derogative "B-Team" label gets thrown about, because this is one of the worst encounters I've experienced in a Souls game, let alone any game.

Nothing is good about it. Everything feels unbalanced and cheap. There's a fucking
Havel

This has just taken me out of the experience 100%. You can't be throwing 3 faster-than-PvP opponents at you that negate their own fucking animations and laugh at the concept of stamina, especially when your hit detection is this sketchy.

What a fucking shambles.

Crazy talk, it's fucking amazing. Beat it on second attempt on Ng+.

PranooY

Got summoned for Elana fight. I killed Elana, the very second after he died (almost simultaneously). I got the souls, but did he beat the boss?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
My Ng++ character feels so pretty right now!

I got the flower dress/skirt after beating the trio. Where's the rest of the ensemble?

GorillaJu

Havel

What a fucking shambles.

Love that fight personally. Use the terrain to your advantage. If you don't have jolly coop buddies, you're gonna need to do a lot of jogging around the arena. I didn't find it too hard, but maybe it fits my style more because I don't use shields. Can't imagine trying to block all the shit they throw at you.

I bee-line straight for the archer, take down about half his HP in a few stabs, then run the fuck away to try and split them up. Then I go finish the archer. Then I just attack whoever I can get some hits off on. Havelbro is easy enough to backstab but you'll get chipped down too hard. Alvaninja is most dangerous.

If you're having trouble with the fight, to me that means you need to rethink your strategy, which is a positive thing. It'd be pretty boring if everything they threw at you in the DLC was just more of the same, wouldn't it? There are new challenges here, and it's better that way.

I got the flower dress/skirt after beating the trio. Where's the rest of the ensemble?

I think it's going to be split up between the DLCs.

FtHTiny

You guys should have spent more time in DS to learn to parry Havel probably!

Small joke, he definately is kind of a boosted version and his hits are very accurate even when circling him but after killed the other two he himself is no real problem anymore.

SoldnerKei

is that a guaranteed drop?? my girly knight needs that... I haven't killed the
trio
yet, I got lost exploring the level, that place is just pretty

SoldnerKei

I didn't get any. So not.

Can someone suggest a fast STR weapon? Any good boss weapons?
I'm using demon great hammer+10. Need a secondary weapon.

damn, hopefully I get it in my first kill

as for STR weapons, not optimal nor that fast but I did good against second boss with Pursuer Greatsword, then I killed third boss with a Drangleic Sword, thou my build is messed up for that weapon since I have 40 STR and 35 Dex, does good damage thou, I was able to stagger those knights after 3 hits... you can go with Mastodon Greatsword too

Butcher Knife meets both requirements. Fast for a STR weapon, great scaling, boss weapon.
oh yeah this too, new patch made it quite good right?

Sullichin

Butcher Knife meets both requirements. Fast for a STR weapon, great scaling, boss weapon.

Still talking about the transparent armor of Aurous that raises equip load. That should effect it as you said equip load boosting stuff lowers the bonus:

So it does matter what you have equipped then?
Oh yeah, aurorus would lower the bonus if it is actually raising your equip weight stat.

Ruuppa

I feel like a broken record, but: Butcher's Knife. It got bumped up to A scaling in Str in the last patch.

Jaeger

Havel

What a fucking shambles.

You're actually having a hard time and not being able to easily beat enemies =/= "B-Team".

rYNCDr4.png

Get Gud, sir.

Top Bottom