• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Ruuppa

D'oh, Dragonslayer Spear needs 16 Faith. And I was going to make this guy into a pure fighter. I think I can cope with Partizan (S scaling in Dex!) and Pate's Spear (Can hit you from 7 miles away!) for now.

PS: Spears are amazing! Poke. Poke.

zewone

So,
Yorgh's
Spear is beastly with RoB+2 &
Flynn
's Ring.

The unique moveset and high damage ( I think my equip screen said 538) are just too much fun and the
Gank trio
didn't stand a chance.

One thing I noticed now that the DLC is here, is that the death counter stone at Majula has text on its back now, pointing you to the DLC entrance.
I kind of liked it better when it was worn beyond recognition.

Ruuppa

Dex scaling ever get fixed in any of the recent patches?

As in is it as good as the equivalent Str scaling? The answer is no, assuming the notes from http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/2b2mbu/here_are_all_the_weapon_adjustments_from_the_july/ are correct.

Gyrm Greataxe +147, A STR, E DEX
Channeler's Trident +84, E STR, A DEX

Bound Hand Axe +126, A STR
Dark Drift +70, A DEX

Dex scaling is still really low. At first I thought it was because the calculation takes weapon base damage into account, but Bound Hand Axe has lower base damage than Dark Drift, and it still gets a higher Str scaling. It's a bit hard to estimate, since the letters are only approximations of the damage bonus from stats, with different grades of A-scaling. Even accounting for that, Dex scaling is shafted.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Still talking about the transparent armor of Aurous that raises equip load. That should effect it as you said equip load boosting stuff lowers the bonus:
So it does matter what you have equipped then?
Only if your equipment affects your total equip load. So yes, Aurour armour and dragon rings affect Flynn's bonus. But not your current % of equip burden.

The creepy tree
repairs your gear if you hit with a whip
??? Where is that tree? I missed that. I could certainly have used that on my Old Whip user!

Sullichin

As in is it as good as the equivalent Str scaling? The answer is no, assuming the notes from http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/2b2mbu/here_are_all_the_weapon_adjustments_from_the_july/ are correct.

Gyrm Greataxe +147, A STR, E DEX
Channeler's Trident +84, E STR, A DEX

Bound Hand Axe +126, A STR
Dark Drift +70, A DEX

Dex scaling is still really low. At first I thought it was because the calculation takes weapon base damage into account, but Bound Hand Axe has lower base damage than Dark Drift, and it still gets a higher Str scaling. It's a bit hard to estimate, since the letters are only approximations of the damage bonus from stats, with different grades of A-scaling. Even accounting for that, Dex scaling is shafted.

It's an improvement to what it was at least. Definitely viable to use a fast A/S scaling DEX weapon in PVP and just rely on physical damage. dex also increases your poison buildup bonus.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I think dex is meant to be powerstanced, it's actually fairly strong when you dual wield two dex weapons, no? The scaling is indeed kinda shite though.

I cleared the DLC with my dual whip user (two Old Whip+5 powerstanced, think she's at 38 dex) and then started again with my STR tank, who's at 50 STR with a large club+10.

He needs like 3 hits with his big club to kill the poison hollows, but my dual whip user OHKOs them with one (powerstance) L2. Both are in NG, bonfire intensity 1. Either that Old Whip bonus damage vs hollows really makes a difference, or I'm missing something. xD

JerkShep

I feel conflicted about the "Sunken King" DLC. The Sunken City is a great area, one of the best in Dark Souls 2. Great exploration, verticality, lots of secret to find, smart shortcuts. The first part of the
Dragon Sanctum
is also great, but the section that leads to
Elana
is not as convincing, and the
Cave of the Dead
borders on cheap with some of the enemies there. The re-skinned bosses are honestly insulting,
Sihn
is still a decent fight but it's just a pale shadow of
Kalameet
and I had a lot of camera issues too. The lore is good I guess, but it doesn't seem connected to the main game as much as I'd like, it's more like is own story. The new dialogues with
King Vendrick
are a nice addition.

I played it with my DEX dual wielder build (SL130, no shields, no magic) + Covenant of Champions and had few problems with regular enemies. I had my fair share of deaths with the bosses (especially the last one), I identified their "weakness" rather easily but they did a lot of damage, I guess my vigor is not that high and the Covenant of Champions didn't help.

It's still a decent DLC all things considered,, I just hope that From is going to step up their game for the next two parts, especially with the bosses.

Ruuppa

It's an improvement to what it was at least. Definitely viable to use a fast A/S scaling DEX weapon in PVP and just rely on physical damage. dex also increases your poison buildup bonus.

No, um. They didn't change the scaling damage at all for Dex. They just changed some weapons scaling rank (Str and Quality weapons as well), not the Dex stupidity.

Not saying the rank ups didn't help make redundant weapons better, but the scaling for Dex is still worse. By about 20% to 50% or so?

If poise is still as worthless as it was at launch I should be able to wreck people with dual-stanced dex weapons whether they scale well or not.

Always a viable strategy. A bit less useful now that you can't stunlock people infinitely(?).

Jaeger

I feel conflicted about the "Sunken King" DLC. The Sunken City is a great area, one of the best in Dark Souls 2. Great exploration, verticality, lots of secret to find, smart shortcuts. The first part of the
Dragon Sanctum
is also great, but the section that leads to
Elana
is not as convincing, and the
Cave of the Dead
borders on cheap with some of the enemies there. The re-skinned bosses are honestly insulting,
Sihn
is still a decent fight but it's just a pale shadow of
Kalameet
and I had a lot of camera issues too. The lore is good I guess, but it doesn't seem connected to the main game as much as I'd like, it's more like is own story. The new dialogues with
King Vendrick
are a nice addition.

I played it with my DEX dual wielder build (SL130, no shields, no magic) + Covenant of Champions and had few problems with regular enemies. I had my fair share of deaths with the bosses (especially the last one), I identified their "weakness" rather easily but they did a lot of damage, I guess my vigor is not that high and the Covenant of Champions didn't help.

It's still a decent DLC all things considered,, I just hope that From is going to step up their game for the next two parts, especially with the bosses.

Elana has a much different move set than Nashandra, and is a completely different model. Not even the same size. And her Velstadt summon behaves much more aggressively than his actual boss fight. Furthermore, them two together make for a much different boss battle than either. So no, not a "reskin".

Same for Sinh. Similar in aesthetics, but he behaves much different than Kalameet. I only observed a 2 moves that are similar to Kalameet's.

If poise is still as worthless as it was at launch I should be able to wreck people with dual-stanced dex weapons whether they scale well or not.

Poise works.

Ruuppa

Poise works.

I was having a look on some data how Poise worked previously and WOW.

36 Poise required to tank 1H R1 from 10 Poise Dmg Weapons
95 Poise required to tank 2H R1 from 10 Poise Dmg Weapons

So even full Steel set wouldn't let you poisetank even one hit from a twohanded Dagger. Dang.
If they fixed it now, all's good then. I've been running lightarmor guys so I haven't noticed a difference.

I was having a look on some data how Poise worked previously and WOW.

36 Poise required to tank 1H R1 from 10 Poise Dmg Weapons
95 Poise required to tank 2H R1 from 10 Poise Dmg Weapons

So even full Steel set wouldn't let you poisetank even one hit from a twohanded Dagger. Dang.
If they fixed it now, all's good then. I've been running lightarmor guys so I haven't noticed a difference.

How does poise stack up now? I haven't played in months.

gogosox82

How does poise stack up now? I haven't played in months.

I believe they changed how long your staggered from a hit but I don't think they changed poise but I could have read it wrong. I haven't noticed anything different since I started playing again but I was always more a fashion souls type of a player. Just wear what looks good and don't worry a lot about defense, poise, etc.

SoldnerKei

didn't the patch said something like you can escape from continuous hits now? don't know if it is what people is referring with the poise being fixed, poise has always been kind of a complicate concept to grasp for me, even in DaS I

I always wear medium-heavy armor

Elite Knight Armor
Falconer Helment
and the rest is Drangleic Set

with shield, sword, rings and bow I am always at 65% of my limit

thou I don't see much difference with, let's say Black Leather set, regarding stagging

Kennyfish

Neo Member
My Ng++ character feels so pretty right now!

I got the flower dress/skirt after beating the trio. Where's the rest of the ensemble?
I think it might be spread out between all 3 DLC . I can't seem to find anything about the other pieces, and It would be weird to leave the skirt alone when It really doesn't fit with anything else.

JerkShep

Elana has a much different move set than Nashandra, and is a completely different model. Not even the same size. And her Velstadt summon behaves much more aggressively than his actual boss fight. Furthermore, them two together make for a much different boss battle than either. So no, not a "reskin".

Same for Sinh. Similar in aesthetics, but he behaves much different than Kalameet. I only observed a 2 moves that are similar to Kalameet's.

Elana use the same melee attacks and the same area of effect spell. She loses the laser beam and the curse minions and gains spells that other monsters/characters could already use... oh and re-used minions (Velstadt is absolutely the same). Even the model is very similiar to human-form Nashandra.

Most of Sihn's attacks are taken from Kalameet except the fire bomb and some of the short range attacks with the forelegs. Dive attack is the same. Flamebreaths are the same. The standing flame attack is the same. The flamebreath when you're attacking him from behind is the same. The head snap is the same. Sinh doesn't have the tail attack and the "Calamity" attack, but what's there comes from Kalameet with very minor differences

I'm sorry, but this is just lazy... The latter is still a good fight (because the original boss is godly), but I want something new. I'm actually worried for what's coming next, I don't want to fight a yellow Gwyn as the "Iron King", a red Gapin Dragon as "Eygil the Lazy Lava Dragon" and fifty green Anor Londo archers as "The King's Guard" in the next DLC.

Big Chungus

Can anyone suggest a good melee weapon for a caster/melee character?

I haven't used any of the boss souls, they're all sitting in my bank.

I heard the moonlight greatsword is good for casters since it has low str requirement, but is it worth using the boss souls for it instead of the spell?

Mistel

Banned
I'm actually worried for what's coming next, I don't want to fight a yellow Gwyn as the "Iron King", a red Gapin Dragon as "Eygil the Lazy Lava Dragon" and fifty green Anor Londo archers as "The King's Guard" in the next DLC.
Alonne knight's along with the Captain's are likely to be there as they've been there before the Smelter demon offed the Iron King and Iron Keep sank into the magma. The other enemies that might appear are the Ironclads as they were created by the Old Iron king.
Kiiiinda wanna try a poison-based build. Suggestions?
Spotted whip maybe? Dual poison long swords with sanctum soldier gauntlets from the dlc along with rat ring should work quite well too.

What stats and weapons would you recommend for someone wanting to go a Duel Weapon build?

Are dual maces still OP?

Spotted whip maybe? Dual poison long swords with sanctum soldier gauntlets from the dlc along with rat ring should work quite well too.

Sounds good. I can think of a lot of weapons I'd like to use. I don't plan on investing stats for pyro scaling but I might still use Toxic Mist as a diversion.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Sounds badass, but fashion souls might prevent me from rocking the moth gear. I'm thinking of maybe mixing Imported/Rogue gear.
Haha, I understand Fashion Souls and wouldn't wear that either. That said, I think he kinda nailed it with the poisonous insect look. It fits the theme he was going for and looks stylish, though I understand if that's not what you were going for.

Sadly, for early game I can't think of any easy way to get poisonous gear except using the ascetic in Majula to get the butterfly set. Spotted Whip is very late game, and even the poison infusions require reaching the Iron Keep to get that ember. And Gavlan sells poison arrows but in very limited numbers early on.

Mistel

Banned
Are dual maces still OP?
Strike damage in of itself is the strongest type in this game. A singular mace is a weapon you can use through the whole game two is even better.
Sounds good. I can think of a lot of weapons I'd like to use. I don't plan on investing stats for pyro scaling but I might still use Toxic Mist as a diversion.
Any weapon you can strike fast enough with to build up poison with is a perfect candidate for infusion with poison. You could even use broken straight swords if you really wanted too.

DEX does boost poison attack bonus which seems to soft cap at 140 so raise DEX till you get that if you want faster poisoning. STR is the primary stat you will be raising if you want to up your damage a bit.
Sadly, for early game I can't think of any easy way to get poisonous gear except using the ascetic in Majula to get the butterfly set.
Mytha's bent blade? Or rotten pine resin that can be brought from Gavlan along with being found in the Gutter among other places.

Jaeger

Elana use the same melee attacks and the same area of effect spell. She loses the laser beam and the curse minions and gains spells that other monsters/characters could already use... oh and re-used minions (Velstadt is absolutely the same). Even the model is very similiar to human-form Nashandra.

Most of Sihn's attacks are taken from Kalameet except the fire bomb and some of the short range attacks with the forelegs. Dive attack is the same. Flamebreaths are the same. The standing flame attack is the same. The flamebreath when you're attacking him from behind is the same. The head snap is the same. Sinh doesn't have the tail attack and the "Calamity" attack, but what's there comes from Kalameet with very minor differences

I'm sorry, but this is just lazy... The latter is still a good fight (because the original boss is godly), but I want something new. I'm actually worried for what's coming next, I don't want to fight a yellow Gwyn as the "Iron King", a red Gapin Dragon as "Eygil the Lazy Lava Dragon" and fifty green Anor Londo archers as "The King's Guard" in the next DLC.

You ever stop to think there may be story reasons for these characters to be similar? I'm sure that they aren't literally "New characters, copy-paste". Yes they are similar, but despite that the boss battles are fundamentally different.

And no, Velstadt is different. He runs at you the entire time. No breaks. That's different.

I wont be surprised but in the end it looks like the next DLC will go that route.

You ever stop to think there may be story reasons for these characters to be similar? I'm sure that they aren't literally "New characters, copy-paste". Yes they are similar, but despite that the boss battles are fundamentally different.

And no, Velstadt is different. He runs at you the entire time. No breaks. That's different.

Come one Jaeger its just reskinned models. but slower and cheap tactics

The bad thing about that is the current especulations about why FROM used those models on them.

SoldnerKei

actually the things she summons it's what makes me wonder...
Velstadt
is guarding
Vendrick
in the main game because he is the King and was pretty loyal to him, also the bunch of
skeletons
that she summons works like the
Skeleton Lords
who are supposed to hunt all the Undeads, then she can summon the
piglets
that only spawn in
Majula
and one in
Brightstone Cove Tseldora
, also we find statues of, what is supposed to be, the
Emerald Herald
throu the level, but perhaps this is a reference to this place being accessed from the Black Gulch, finally she is
singing
right before we get close to her, just lika a
Milfanito

she has a bunch of connections to the actual lore, and the fact that she looks like
Nashandra
makes it more odd

still, just random and silly speculations P:

neoism

Holy crap, is there a reason why the boss music for
Sinh, The Slumbering Dragon
is so damn good?

Seriously, it's amazing stuff and this is coming from someone who doesn't think the music of the Souls series is that special.

same to me they all sound the same the only songs I really LOVE are the Souls on Fire song in DS1(the character selection screen), and the same for DS2 I love the Calm song as you log into their servers.... but to me the boss tracks are really to similar.

Top Bottom