• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Ruuppa

Eh, not a big fan (no offense). Appreciate you not recommending Jeff Green though.

Where is everyone holding their PVP matches? Are they just Invading? Because the two Covenants specifically for PVP barely see any action.

Iron Keep bridge is usually rife with signs to engage in duels, mostly honorable duels as well. The belltowers are good, if you think you can win 2 invaders at the same time. Wearing the Delicate String and hanging in the DLC area or Huntsmans' Copse in NG+ and onwards gets you invaded relatively often. If you have a huge amount of Token of Fidelities, the blue arena is pretty good.

For infinite PVP, get to Wretch -status; You simply can't stop the PVP train!

Edit: If you're really lucky, you'll find a fight club; A host who summons multiple dark spirits so they can fight between themselves while the host cheers from a distance. Super-rare though, unless you know of one beforehand.

njean777

Just beat the optional boss in the DLC, thank goodness you can poison them is all I am going to say. Now I have no clue where to go. I have been to
the lake with all the dinosaur looking monsters and there is a big round thing there, but I have no clue where to go to find the item for it.
Can anybody let me know where the other two bosses are? I feel like I am completely lost lol.

Just beat the optional boss in the DLC, thank goodness you can poison them is all I am going to say. Now I have no clue where to go. I have been to
the lake with all the dinosaur looking monsters and there is a big round thing there, but I have no clue where to go to find the item for it.
Can anybody let me know where the other two bosses are? I feel like I am completely lost lol.
You gotta find that item to progress. Don't remember where it is, I just found it on my way there so I assume it can't be that hard to find:)

Just beat the last boss by the way, I quite liked this overall, loved the intricacies of the level design, and, for many people that said that Zelda could learn a thing or two from the Souls series, playing this felt like it was actually From that took inspiration from Zelda dungeons, and the result was pretty sweet. Still haven't tackled the optional boss I've read about, pretty sure I know where he might be though.

Oh is there no use for the
crown
yet, is there?

Phinor

Finally got the
trio
down, alone. Took around 8 hours and quite a few ragequits. Never said I was good but damn, I'll finish what I start when it comes to souls games. I had one more boss alive after that:
Darklurker
. A joke of a boss after the trio, even as a melee :) So easy to control two enemies vs. three enemies.

they are pretty cheesable if you just drop down into the water and loop around. you can basically run in circles forever without taking damage if you watch out for the greatarrow.

Played up until the inside of the temple last night, but damn do I feel like I'm missing a lot. The platforms that rise at the hit of a switch seem to hold a bunch of secrets depending on the level you descend at - lots lead to dead ends while others lead to useless items.

I really like the bug enemies, but the walking poison statue things are annoying as hell. Can you kill them?

Been invaded 3 times so far. Killed first guy, accidentally rolled off a ledge against second and third got lost and couldn't find me (which I guess is a testament to how big the initial area is).

Is there any items of note in the area before reaching the Pyramid?

GorillaJu

Once you finish the DLC and go back to the main game the difficulty level change is pretty much a joke. The DLC enemies and bosses are brutally difficult, with the exception of Boss 1, who is a really fun battle but definitely not crushing. Optional boss and boss 2 are beefy motherfuckers. NG+ bosses are a joke compared to the care I took in fighting Drakeblood Knights.

Optional boss on NG+ was so fucking hard for me :lol holy hell. I just circled them around until one dropped into the water after killing Cerah, then backstabbed Alvaninja for a nice chunk.

By the way I don't know if its been mentioned here but you can absolutely stagger Sanctum Knights. Equip the stone ring, and all UGS attacks will stagger them, including staggering them out of their attacks. I imagine Great hammers will stagger as well.

They do not have infinite poise, just very high poise. Regular 2h R1s with a Crypt Blacksword absolutely wrecks them with Stone Ring on.

And for me at least, the necessary trick to killing Drakeblood Knights is the fw+R1 bash. Timing is key, but if you interrupt their attack you get a nice opening. If you do more than 50% of their HP you'll get a big stagger and a good chance at finishing them off. With a stone ring you can probably stagger with heavy weapons like Sanctum Knights, but I'm rolling with a stabby build using Leo Ring. Stone Ring didn't really improve my ability to stagger them with rapiers.

Lastly, DBKs cannot be parried at all from what I can tell. I wasn't getting any parry attempts with Espada's R2, so I tried the Throne Watcher shield, which will ring like a bell if an attack can be parried, but it wasn't ringing at all, just making the standard shield crash sound. Makes me think the two best methods for killing DBKs are backstabs (hard to get for me considering they attack relentlessly with sweeping attacks and you never can predict how many hits they'll combo), or the stagger bash as mentioned above.

GulAtiCa

Love the DLC so far! And boy is it difficult on NG+++, even with my lv 360 Miracle player who even has a good +10 shortsword that I'm pretty decent with.

Those
"ghost"
enemies are no joke! Almost got slaughtered by them at first thinking they were just echos.... :lol

Starting to get hang of game again. Got invaded so many times since I'm a sinner. Prob won half, my reflexes are starting to come back to me, so most of my wins were from the later invasions.

UrbanRats

Killed both
"Not-Nashandra" and the Dragon, the dragon took me a couple of tries, as i kept failing to roll at the right time, for some reason.

The remaining boss though, seems to be on a completely different level of difficulty.
Especially since it seems you can't riposte not-Havel.

And for me at least, the necessary trick to killing Drakeblood Knights is the fw+R1 bash. Timing is key, but if you interrupt their attack you get a nice opening. If you do more than 50% of their HP you'll get a big stagger and a good chance at finishing them off. With a stone ring you can probably stagger with heavy weapons like Sanctum Knights, but I'm rolling with a stabby build using Leo Ring. Stone Ring didn't really improve my ability to stagger them with rapiers.

With my espada ropera, i'm used too much to staggering.
So i just had to use parry parry parry.

Oh well, thankfully i beat the boss after them on the first try, so i didn't have to go through them again.

tariniel

So, how would you guys compare the DLC released so far, with the DLC from Prepare to Die edition? Length? Difficulty?

I'm curious if it's worth picking up now or just waiting until all of the DLC is released and binge playing it all.

Killed both
"Not-Nashandra" and the Dragon, the dragon took me a couple of tries, as i kept failing to roll at the right time, for some reason.

The remaining boss though, seems to be on a completely different level of difficulty.
Especially since it seems you can't riposte not-Havel.

You can parry him but only when he's one-handing his weapon.

PranooY

So, how would you guys compare the DLC released so far, with the DLC from Prepare to Die edition? Length? Difficulty?

I'm curious if it's worth picking up now or just waiting until all of the DLC is released and binge playing it all.
Crown of Sunken king is a great dlc, even though it isn't as awesome as AOTA. And yes, its worth picking up. Lengthy is almost 4-6 hrs. Its offers a decent amount of challenge.

FloatOn

Crown of Sunken king is a great dlc, even though it isn't as awesome as AOTA. And yes, its worth picking up. Lengthy is almost 4-6 hrs. Its offers a decent amount of challenge.

what about gear?

I've held off on beating the main game because of ancient dragon and vendrick. I was hoping there might be some gear in the dlc that could help.

Mistel

Banned
what about gear?

I've held off on beating the main game because of ancient dragon and vendrick. I was hoping there might be some gear in the dlc that could help.
There's the drakeblood knight set and the sanctum knight set those are quite good. The first you get off a corpse the second you farm from sanctum knights.

I got the 'Crown of the Sunken King', the DLC was really good. I hope the remaining two are along the same lines as this or even better.

Can someone explain what the final text caption which appears after you get the Crown, it says something on the lines of
"its got some faint power"

Its supposed Vendrink defeated the three kings and made drangelic on top of their defeated reign.

The dlc expanded somehow the three gems in his crown represents the three kings powers so you have to go to their respective reigns and get the vendrick crown back (woot?), I want to believe you have to collect the gems to put them on vendrick's crown.

Also you need to revisit the winter shrine and see the murals there.

SoldnerKei

Drakeblood Knights were kind of easy, yeah they drain my stamina like crazy, but I was exploring those stairs using the butterfly wing to do better jumps, so I was just shielding and waiting for them to get poisoned, also sniping from afar helps

Jaeger

The DLC has tons of great content. Weapons, items and spells that are really viable. The armors are really good, too.

And I parry the shit out of those Drakeblood Knights. Their one weakness. Way too telegraphed.

FloatOn

The DLC has tons of great content. Weapons, items and spells that are really viable. The armors are really good, too.

And I parry the shit out of those Drakeblood Knights. Their one weakness. Way too telegraphed.

fucking hell... I guess I will buy it now.

(I was somewhat content placing dark souls 2 on hold for a bit)

Birathen

How is the PC population in DS2? Can I jump in now and find a decent amount of summons for bosses and such while not getting overrun by twinked invaders?

Danny 117

I didn't even know they could actually kill you to be fair... Did you get a sunlight spear barrage or something?

Lol.

I just got too greedy and went in for a load of hits on the congregation, then got owned by spears. I recently switched to melee from caster build so I don't quite have it mastered.
It was pretty funny, I have to admit. :)

Mistel

Banned
Lol.
I just got too greedy and went in for a load of hits on the congregation, then got owned by spears. I recently switched to melee from caster build so I don't quite have it mastered.
It was pretty funny, I have to admit. :)
That would be why lol. They do pack a punch if they get you. I wonder if you could just profound still the lot of them?
I killed it with help of two dudes in my first playthrough, battle lasted less than 20 secs, I felt dirty after that
I walked in killed the priests followed by the warlock then moped up the congregation itself in about a minute or two when I first turned up there.

Mistel

Banned
I was at 79% equip load.
With mugenmonkey using what you said full havel's set by itself at 41 endurance is 53.2% without the third dragon crest ring. With it on is 48.2% of your equipload. So it's definitely your weapons that got you to that equip load,which unfortunately isn't on mugenmonkey as of yet.

Parmenide

Is the Heide Knight set a good armor choice? Now I'm using the Llewelyn one plus Dark Mask, but I want more defence without investing too much in Vitality.
(Note that "swag" is important to me :p)

ElTopo

Banned
Yeah, the lag really kills the appeal of PVP. I was just in a duel with a guy two-arming a Greatsword, he guard broke me once, I was still able to roll away before he landed the killing blow (it's possible he ran out of stamina though), I score a few hits, I do the 2 hit combo with my Red Iron Twin Blade, the 2nd hit is in his direction during his roll, my back is not to him, and he landed a backstab and instantly killed me...

The PVP is borderline unplayable because of this garbage.

Is the Heide Knight set a good armor choice? Now I'm using the Llewelyn one plus Dark Mask, but I want more defence without investing too much in Vitality.
(Note that "swag" is important to me :p)

It's kinda mediocre. I use it because I like the look but there's lots of better choices in terms of stats/poise to weight

Yeah, the lag really kills the appeal of PVP. I was just in a duel with a guy two-arming a Greatsword, he guard broke me once, I was still able to roll away before he landed the killing blow (it's possible he ran out of stamina though), I score a few hits, I do the 2 hit combo with my Red Iron Twin Blade, the 2nd hit is in his direction during his roll, my back is not to him, and he landed a backstab and instantly killed me...

The PVP is borderline unplayable because of this garbage.
This is noticeably worse on PS3 as well. The lag has been a lot worse since the newest patch + DLC came out. 360 and PC versions have been fine

Top Bottom