• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

God I'm really dreading this
Trio
boss fight everyone's talking about. I know I won't be able to live with myself unless I can solo it. Still a long ways to go on my PC playthrough before I get to the DLC, though.
It's not that hard, it was actually one of the few bosses I beat on my first go. That was in NG though, maybe the fight is seriously buffed in NG+.

Half the boss encounters in the game are plagued by the presence of multiple enemies anyway, whether under the form of actual bosses, summoned minions or whatever, so it's nothing new really. I could totally see the run up to the boss chamber being infuriating though, maybe that's what is driving people mad.

Ruuppa

You should wear the delicate string if you want to be invaded a lot. Or use dried fingers if you don't want to fill up a ring slot.

You can always switch out from the String when you get the invasion message.

Don't the Dried Fingers just reset the invasion cooldown? Did you mean Token of Spite?

Mistel

Banned
Don't the Dried Fingers just reset the invasion cooldown? Did you mean Token of Spite?
That's what they do they have to be used unlike the delicate string which does it automatically and removes the counter. Token's of spite just increase your chances of being invaded by others.

Foggy

God I'm really dreading this
Trio
boss fight everyone's talking about. I know I won't be able to live with myself unless I can solo it. Still a long ways to go on my PC playthrough before I get to the DLC, though.

It depends on your build and playstyle. I'm a strength build that plays with a lot of patience and blocking which meant I got overwhelmed a lot. Always be moving and embrace the cheese when you can and you'll be a-ok. Only bring in phantoms if you can match their numbers

DLC question: Is the fight against the
three dudes (forgot their names)
strictly optional? After I won, I only found a chest with a
flower skirt
. Doesn't really seem worth the trouble! Or am I missing the entrance to a new area after this?

Also, is this fight even doable if you're on your own?

You can always switch out from the String when you get the invasion message.

It resets the time for looking for an invasion (I think the system search 20 sec before searching again) so you can get invaded fast.

flower skirt
. Doesn't really seem worth the trouble! Or am I missing the entrance to a new area after this?

I heard the second boss is right in front of the first one but not clue

Foggy

flower skirt

Totally optional and totally doable on you're own. Run a lot and be patient, try to isolate and get off one good hit/parry and then repeat

Ruuppa

That's what they do they have to be used unlike the delicate string which does it automatically and removes the counter. Token's of spite just increase your chances of being invaded by others.

It resets the time for looking for an invasion (I think the system search 20 sec before searching again) so you can get invaded fast.

Oh sweet. I thought the String only increased your priority of getting invaded, didn't know it also acted as an always-on Dried Fingers.

Mistel

Banned
Oh sweet. I thought the String only increased your priority of getting invaded, didn't know it also acted as an always-on Dried Fingers.
It's funny at how you can get a delicate string so much earlier than dried fingers. The string itself doesn't increase your chances of being invaded. But as the timer is gone you will get invaded a whole lot more.

Ruuppa

It's funny at how you can get a delicate string so much earlier than dried fingers. The string itself doesn't increase your chances of being invaded. But as the timer is gone you will get invaded a whole lot more.

I'm pretty sure it ups your place in the invasion-queue, but it might be just that. Still a nice ring for shenanigans.

By the by, did anyone else notice that you don't get invaded by other Bellkeepers anymore while being in the covenant (and wearing the ring) in the belltowers? I was trying to get some PVP action going in Sol, but I only got to invade others, no other Bellkeeper came to play with me. They must have changed that in the patch, since I remember getting a lot of invaders when I was doing this pre-patch.

It depends on your build and playstyle. I'm a strength build that plays with a lot of patience and blocking which meant I got overwhelmed a lot. Always be moving and embrace the cheese when you can and you'll be a-ok. Only bring in phantoms if you can match their numbers

Going to be taking it on with a speedy dex dual-wielder, so I guess that'll have to be my approach.

PranooY

DLC question:
So, what do I get if I cut of
Sinh, the slumbering dragon's tale?
You mean tail? Nothing.

On topic: Beat all bosses solo on my melee/strength NG build. Elana was the most difficult, mainly since my gear was weak to flame-dark and fighting the minions while dealing with flame swathe was a pain in the ass.

P.S: Spent entire saturday on my new character. Jesus.

The level layout of the DLC is much better than the vanilla game form what I have seen. Area seems much bigger and intricate. Enemy design is a bit disappointing with only one type mainly prevalent throughout the level. The bosses are kind of disappointing too since they seem like retreads of Nashandra and Kalameet but seem like a good challenge which is much welcomed.

Overall, I am more interested in this than the vanilla game (might even rebuy DkS2) but £7.99 for 3 hours is a rip off.

Mistel

Banned
I'm pretty sure it ups your place in the invasion-queue, but it might be just that. Still a nice ring for shenanigans.

By the by, did anyone else notice that you don't get invaded by other Bellkeepers anymore while being in the covenant (and wearing the ring) in the belltowers? I was trying to get some PVP action going in Sol, but I only got to invade others, no other Bellkeeper came to play with me. They must have changed that in the patch, since I remember getting a lot of invaders when I was doing this pre-patch.
Never heard that before for the delicate string. And there's nothing in the patch notes about the bellkeepers not summoning bellkeepers anymore.

Ruuppa

Never heard that before for the delicate string. And there's nothing in the patch notes about the bellkeepers not summoning bellkeepers anymore.

Nothing in the patchnotes, but I must have sat in Sol for about two hours without getting invaded once. And I did invade other people with other Bellkeepers, so I wasn't the only Bellkeeper online (as impossible as that even would be). Either I got extremely weirdly placed in the invasion-queue, or they changed it to work like Forest Guardians from DkS1.

Edit: Without the ring, I got invaded right off the bat. Time to test with the ring.
Edit2: Nope, still getting invaded even with the ring. Must have been a weird invasion error thingy then.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Ok WTF kills the
Ghost
enemy ?
Smash their red-glowing corpses. Destroy the vessels and the ghosts will become physical.

You can damage the ghosts with magic without using that, though, but it takes a lot of time since they take very little damage (though still better than 0).

Mistel

Banned
Edit: Without the ring, I got invaded right off the bat. Time to test with the ring.
Edit2: Nope, still getting invaded even with the ring. Must have been a weird invasion error thingy then.
How strange as you still count as a trespasser in the belfries whilst in the covenant as you know.
You can damage the ghosts with magic without using that, though, but it takes a lot of time since they take very little damage (though still better than 0).
Elemental damage also works as well but they are highly resistant.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Elemental damage also works as well but they are highly resistant.
Yeah, by "magic damage" I meant any non-physical damage, not just strictly magic. So magic, dark, fire and lightning all work, though it'll be about as bad as using those on the lion warriors in Shaded Ruins. xD Still, if you can't find
the vessels
and you have an annoying ghost running after you, it can help.

First time I played I was on a pure melee build and was frantically searching for the
corpses
of the ghosts around the place with the spikes, and I had like 2 or 3 ghosts after me. I ran into a narrow corridor but came to a dead end... with 3 ghosts on me, and no way to roll past them or damage them in any way.
I died. Horribly.

Yeah, by "magic damage" I meant any non-physical damage, not just strictly magic. So magic, dark, fire and lightning all work, though it'll be about as bad as using those on the lion warriors in Shaded Ruins. xD Still, if you can't find
the vessels
and you have an annoying ghost running after you, it can help.

First time I played I was on a pure melee build and was frantically searching for the
corpses
of the ghosts around the place with the spikes, and I had like 2 or 3 ghosts after me. I ran into a narrow corridor but came to a dead end... with 3 ghosts on me, and no way to roll past them or damage them in any way.
I died. Horribly.

What saved me with the ghosts is that you can destroy their bodies with a single arrow. So take out the body from a distance, giving you enough time prep for the inevitable fight.

Haunted

This DLC is fantastic. Highly recommended to any Souls fan. This has everything you want from a Souls area. Especially the level design, as labyrinthine and full of puzzles as any area in the three games, while still looping beautifully back into itself.

I took a break from the area and continued on my way through the main story,
so finding the Memory of the King was a true WTF moment. Did not expect any additional content outside of the new area. Super cool.

So I got a chance to play the DLC, made the mistake of going into the DLC with my character that was on NG+++ & was a pure lightning/faith caster. Big Mistake Amigo. Still beat the entire DLC in like 6 hours though.

The Queen was by far the hardest part od the DLC for me. I was doing no damage & she would just keep summoning Velstad(sp?)

Sinh was super easy though. I approached him like Ancient Dragon always staying right infront of him & it worked like a charm. He telehraphs everything & is super easy to dodge. Doing like no damage I still bodied him because of this. Trio was fun too!

Haunted

Oh, and as far as medievally inspired armour sets go, the new Drakeblood set is amazing. I know a lot of people love the Knight and Elite Knight sets. That one's for you.

zkylon

zkylewd
So I got a chance to play the DLC, made the mistake of going into the DLC with my character that was on NG+++ & was a pure lightning/faith caster. Big Mistake Amigo. Still beat the entire DLC in like 6 hours though.

The Queen was by far the hardest part od the DLC for me. I was doing no damage & she would just keep summoning Velstad(sp?)

Sinh was super easy though. I approached him like Ancient Dragon always staying right infront of him & it worked like a charm. He telehraphs everything & is super easy to dodge. Doing like no damage I still bodied him because of this. Trio was fun too!

got any tips for
elana
. i'm trying to beat the dlc with no summons but it's getting a bit harder than i can handle at 150 ng+++

Oh, and as far as medievally inspired armour sets go, the new Drakeblood set is amazing. I know a lot of people love the Knight and Elite Knight sets. That one's for you.
totally

that set's gorgeous

and it doesn't use twinkling either

I'm working my way to the DLC on a new playthrough... I was massively disappointed with the game when it initially released but I have to admit the game is actually quite fun now that I know the "best" level order and what kind of build I prefer.

got any tips for I'm trying to beat the dlc with no summons but it's getting a bit harder than i can handle at 150 ng+++

totally

that set's gorgeous

and it doesn't use twinkling either

Ok so I assume since you have fought her enough to know solo she isn't a problem so I tell you how I delt with her summons. Pretty much whenever she decided to summon I used that time to prep buffs & get ready.

For Skelatons I two handed & just started runninf no lock on. Keeping my eye on Elena. When she did Flame Swath or whatever is when I made my move on the skelatons. Lock on, one running attack then rinse & repeat till there is only one skelaton.

I found that if you kill all of the skelatons she is more likely to summon sooner so leave the one until she begins another summon, then off him. With one skelaton you can pretty much ignore him & go back to fighting Elena.

Ok but the real peoblem is the Big Guy. He seemed weakest against fire so I carried a lot of fire stuff. When he came out I made sure to lock on & keep Elena in sight. I wish I had some sweet strat for this but all I tried to do was make sure Big Guy swung at me after she cast a spell so there was more time to safely counter attack. She goes into a mode eventually where she just starts teleporting at you & going for melee attacks. When she does this it makes finding those oppenings easier

That's pretty much how I did it.

The Drakeblood set is indeed splendid looking, BUT I think the helm is a bit goofy looking; it looks as if it sits too high, or is a bit too elongated. The Heide Knight Iron Mask looks great with it, as you've got the matching red tassel and the fact that it's probably the best looking helm in the game.

Sooooo did anybody discover a good tactic for
Jester Thomas
? After multiple tries, I ended up defeating him, but my tactic was basically to cast great magic barrier and swing for the fences. Dude was no joke.

Mistel

Banned
Jester Thomas
? After multiple tries, I ended up defeating him, but my tactic was basically to cast great magic barrier and swing for the fences. Dude was no joke.
Zweihander running R1 worked well for me. Just kept doing that.

Jester Thomas

Dragon Tooth+5, 2-handed strong attack lets you pancake him over and over again.

zkylon

zkylewd
Jester Thomas

my strategy was:
i pulled him to the previous room with the stairs. he seems to not deal with you being up the stairs very well so i would use that time where he just shoots fireballs at the walls to heal and just drop attack on him, go back up, rinse and repeat

ElTopo

Banned
4 hours spent just to beat that dragon... toes seems like the only legit strategy by far...

That's how I beat him. Took about 3 attempts doing that and on my last try he never flew up.

I remember one time in NG+ I was trying to beat him legit and he did his AOE attack and I was below his tail, not directly under it but close, and he landed and the tail was almost right next to me and it insta-killed me.

ElTopo

Banned
So what is the general consensus on the DLC?
Is it worth the 10€? As good as Artorias of the Abyss ?

If you can get the Season Pass for $20 then yeah I'd recommend it. For $10 a piece it's a little high. I'd say it's as good as the Artorias DLC but not quite as long (it's a LOT easier to access though).

xBladeM6x

I'm torn between which one of these to use. I'm a pure Strength build, and am considering Drakekeeper's Warpick, Large Club, Great Club. If these aren't nearly as good as something else, let me know. :eek:

Mistel

Banned
I'm torn between which one of these to use. I'm a pure Strength build, and am considering Drakekeeper's Warpick, Large Club, Great Club. If these aren't nearly as good as something else, let me know. :eek:
I'd go with the warpick the moveset is a bit different but it's quite versatile and more fun I think. Maybe consider the archdrake mace and the gyrm great hammer too.

Mistel

Banned
Once I saw the Warpick's moveset, I nearly died from happiness. Lol
If your thinking about using it you should know it's two handed attacks can be parried. The arch drake mace has the halberd move set as well with thrusting attacks but it's a fair bit weaker but it's the lightest great hammer so it kinda evens out.

4 hours spent just to beat that dragon... toes seems like the only legit strategy by far...

Same. With my dex build, I tried really fighting him with flash sweat etc, but it's just a ridiculous fight. Took out Vendrick on my first try with this character, then Darklurker and Sinh last night. Close to NG+.

Has anyone had
Elana spawn 3 pigs instead of skeletons
? Just happened to me in NG++. I'd have laughed had she not destroyed me 10 times prior with some incredibly cheap seeming shit.

Davenday

Same. With my dex build, I tried really fighting him with flash sweat etc, but it's just a ridiculous fight. Took out Vendrick on my first try with this character, then Darklurker and Sinh last night. Close to NG+.

I saw the Sinh fight, which doesn't look as annoying as AD (since it's not a one hit insta-death for the character.

It also seems that the latest patches nerfed Gower's ring...it only reduces damage now.

I saw the Sinh fight, which doesn't look as annoying as AD (since it's not a one hit insta-death for the character.

It also seems that the latest patches nerfed Gower's ring...it only reduces damage now.

Yea I actually liked the Sinh fight. Ancient Dragon is just a chore. I don't think I'll ever do it again.

Edit: I have all the katanas now (except Chaos), but I'm starting to like the black murakumo. It feels like I'm cheating as a dex build with it, though...

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Yea I actually liked the Sinh fight. Ancient Dragon is just a chore. I don't think I'll ever do it again.

Edit: I have all the katanas now (except Chaos), but I'm starting to like the black murakumo. It feels like I'm cheating as a dex build with it, though...

No such thing as a cheating when youre a dex (lol) player.

Top Bottom