• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

TnK

I found the second boss to be much harder than the first. I beat the first in my I think 4th or 5th try, while I repeated the one after more than 20 times <__<

Mistel

Banned
EDIT: Why does the sword break so easily? This whole "60 FPS makes weapons break faster" is a load of bullshit...
Hitting the floor, wall and corpses does it. Bracing knuckle ring should help or just buy repair powder from Wellager he sells and infinite amount.

Like the snide insult in it's description a lot: "You have only yourself to blame if you find yourself in crisis with no powder to spare."

Sullichin

I don't really have a lot of stats in magic and dark (it's actually almost nothing), so I doubt I can take full advantage of it.

EDIT: Why does the sword break so easily? This whole "60 FPS makes weapons break faster" is a load of bullshit...

What are your stats? There are other big weapons that might work better without having to respec.

Since Crypt Blacksword already has A Dark Scaling by default, it's best to infuse it with Dark and get S Dark scaling. Your Dark attack stat scales with the lower of your INT or FAI, so it's best to level them both together. Dark Black Cryptsword with high INT/FTH buffed with Dark Weapon is a beast in PVE.

Davenday

Ugh, being a completionist is a pain in this game...

Wasted 12 effigies on Darklurker.

I don't understand how melee builds get through it without bows...

TnK

Hitting the floor, wall and corpses does it. Bracing knuckle ring should help or just buy repair powder from Wellager he sells and infinite amount.

Like the snide insult in it's description a lot: "You have only yourself to blame if you find yourself in crisis with no powder to spare."
The durability actually goes down worse when I hit enemies than floors etc.
The durability in general feels off ever since I downloaded the DLC and started playing.
What are your stats? There are other big weapons that might work better without having to respec.

Since Crypt Blacksword already has A Dark Scaling by default, it's best to infuse it with Dark and get S Dark scaling. Your Dark attack stat scales with the lower of your INT or FAI, so it's best to level them both together. Dark Black Cryptsword with high INT/FTH buffed with Dark Weapon is a beast in PVE.
I have an STR build. I forgot the exact numbers, but it was something like:
37 vit
42 end
32 item burden thing
48 str
15 agility
12 faith
12 int

The sword already does better damage and has a better move set than my old primary weapon, the greatsword. Seems like I will be keeping this sword.

Oh yeah, what does agility do? Cause adding points doesn't do shit =__=

Davenday

Oh yeah, what does agility do? Cause adding points doesn't do shit =__=

It just adds invincibility frames of your roll animation depending how much agility goes up through increasing ADP (invincibility through the initial portion of the roll). ADP also buffs poison, curse resistances.

zkylon

zkylewd
beaten then final boss on the dlc

very cool boss fight imo, the only one i really enjoyed out of the three as i'm not a big fan of
crowd control boss fights
and you know, it's a
dragon
, so that's cool

gotta go see what's at undead crypt then

ultron87

I did feel slightly bad about laming out
the trio with a bow. The two melee dudes are just so slow. Taking them on in a straight up fight solo just didn't seem viable.

ElTopo

Banned
Question: what's the difference between NG+ and NG++? Obviously I take more damage and deal less but is there anything major that's different? I would assume more random Phantoms and I'd be prone to even more Invasions.

SoldnerKei

invading in the first section of the DLC map is wicked, it feels like you're hunting down someone, so many places to attack from afar, and shortcuts to make into areas where they think they're safe, thou one dude did a pretty smart thing, deactivated the switch to access the second bonfire and waited there for the time to run out lol

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The trio in the company of champions is a goddamn nightmare. And yes, it's cheap. It's bullshit that water does not slow them down, that they can swap weapon while rolling or knocked down, that they have absurdly high poise and stamina, that they move absurdly fast, etc.

Made my first character for PC, still thinking of Fashion Souls ideas. Concept is "desert assassin".

V5dsvoL.jpg

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Started a new game as a Sorcerer this time, it sure is overpowering right from the start.

Cleared the entire tutorial area, even the orge's just by spamming soul arrow's.

Then switched to a rapier on one hand after unlocking the blacksmiths house and darn the R2 Parry is awesome.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Is it possible to solo (melee, faith)
Elana
when she summons
Velsdadt
? I have no idea how to get any opening. Either he's on your ass constantly or she spams those fireballs or dark orbs. And she casts absurdly fast, almost no cooldown. Ugh.

Edit: upping ADP for more agility, this seems to help, I don't die quite that fast at least... xD

zkylon

zkylewd
Oh, you are in for a soul farming treat.

hmm color me intrigued

sadly on this playthrough i'm pretty far away from undead crypt so it's gonna be a while till i see what you mean :/

Did they do something to Sunlight and Great Lightning spear? I mean nerf the quantity?
yup, they killed the amount of casts pretty damn hard

i respecc'd my dex/faith build for that

lighting spear is like the one mega fun thing about faith builds

Elana
when she summons
Velsdadt
? I have no idea how to get any opening. Either he's on your ass constantly or she spams those fireballs or dark orbs. And she casts absurdly fast, almost no cooldown. Ugh.

Edit: upping ADP for more agility, this seems to help, I don't die quite that fast at least... xD
i think you can, tho i haven't been able to defeat her solo yet (tho i'm on ng+++ so it's pretty darned hard)

it's key to always keep both of em on screen at all times, no lock on, just get a weapon with wide swipes and one hit or two whenever you can

you don't have to kill him btw, when she dies all her spawns die too

2AdEPT

Get Elana's soul, wrathful axe along with scythe of want and the chime of wants descriptions. It's all there if you look.

Speaking of the next dlc crown of the iron king there's this I wrote up yesterday. Which should give some context to what the Smelter demon and the old iron king itself is. As for the question probably not as that's going to get old fast most likely to have them all popping up all of a sudden. I doubt it will have many more. Especially in the Iron king one given what we know about him.

I should really write this stuff up if people want to read it.

better yet ...do a vid!!!

BeeDog

Seriously, is there a trick to fighting those new Drakeblood Knights in the DLC? By far the hardest regular enemy in the entire game, and I'm soul level 214! Must be doing something seriously wrong :(

zkylon

zkylewd
Seriously, is there a trick to fighting those new Drakeblood Knights in the DLC? By far the hardest regular enemy in the entire game, and I'm soul level 214! Must be doing something seriously wrong :(

i just blasted them with soul spears and firebombs

they have crazy quick combos that are really hard to predict, i don't like em at all

tho their armor is mega dope

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
i think you can, tho i haven't been able to defeat her solo yet (tho i'm on ng+++ so it's pretty darned hard)

it's key to always keep both of em on screen at all times, no lock on, just get a weapon with wide swipes and one hit or two whenever you can

you don't have to kill him btw, when she dies all her spawns die too
Yeah I won just now. She only summoned skeletons this time, though she summoned twice. I still prefer to kill her spawns if I can because they get really annoying otherwise. The lightning shower spell was mildly useful for once, decent crowd control against the skeleton mobs (well, decent when you have nothing else... maybe Firestorm would have been better even with the nerf but this toon never touched pyros or upgraded his glove).

I almost won when she had
Velstadt
earlier. I killed her with my last stamina, and heard her death scream, but
Velstadt
didn't disappear right away and his final blow killed me. Booooo!

Raising ADP made a huge difference. First time I actually do notice the difference, despite all the claims I had heard. I about 89 agility and raised it to 100 and I could roll without getting clipped far more, and chug Estus faster too. Before I would often try to heal and would have no time to roll or dodge from her next barrage of spells or whatever but this time it worked more often than not.

Kalameet
Jr. gonna have to wait til tomorrow, but I bet he'll be piss easy compared to the other two bosses, really. On my other toons I died to him far less than the other bosses, though who knows, maybe the company of Champions will change that... ulp.

BeeDog

i just blasted them with soul spears and firebombs

they have crazy quick combos that are really hard to predict, i don't like em at all

tho their armor is mega dope

I'm a pure melee build and not a very avid item user, so that would just wreck me. If I'm extremely lucky, I might get in a backstab, but more often than not any attempt will just end up with me getting fucked. The main problem is I cannot seem to stagger them at all.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah I won just now. She only summoned skeletons this time, though she summoned twice. I still prefer to kill her spawns if I can because they get really annoying otherwise. The lightning shower spell was mildly useful for once, decent crowd control against the skeleton mobs (well, decent when you have nothing else... maybe Firestorm would have been better even with the nerf but this toon never touched pyros or upgraded his glove).

I almost won when she had
Velsdadt
earlier. I killed her with my last stamina, and heard her death scream, but
Velsdadt
didn't disappear right away and his final blow killed me. Booooo!

Raising ADP made a huge difference. First time I actually do notice the difference, despite all the claims I had heard. I about 89 agility and raised it to 100 and I could roll without getting clipped far more, and chug Estus faster too. Before I would often try to heal and would have no time to roll or dodge from her next barrage of spells or whatever but this time it worked more often than not.

Kalameet Jr.
gonna have to wait til tomorrow, but I bet he'll be piss easy compared to the other two bosses, really. On my other toons I died to him far less than the other bosses, though who knows, maybe the company of Champions will change that... ulp.

yea, the big guy's the problem, skellies are fine. i actually want to try if alluring skulls work for this but i'm on ng+++ and really rusty so just sunbro'd it

and yea,
dragon
isn't so bad, tho he took a lot of tries until i got the hang of it.

imo a much more enjoying fight, much cooler boss in general with more predictable attacks, less spamming, no crowd control, it's a fucking
dragon
, it's much better. and it's still challenging, at least with all melee (which is how i beat it)

edit: btw spoilertagged your quote, might want to do the same with your post as what you're spoiling is a pretty nice (if evil) surprise

I'm a pure melee build and not a very avid item user, so that would just wreck me. If I'm extremely lucky, I might get in a backstab, but more often than not any attempt will just end up with me getting fucked. The main problem is I cannot seem to stagger them at all.
i think i staggered them with stone ring with my moonlight greatsword but i'm not sure

you can try poison arrows if they're giving you trouble

you can run to the boss without fighting any so as long as you go through everything once it'll be ok

BeeDog

i think i staggered them with stone ring with my moonlight greatsword but i'm not sure

you can try poison arrows if they're giving you trouble

you can run to the boss without fighting any so as long as you go through everything once it'll be ok

Thanks for the help. I know the way to the boss and have found the bonfire, but it's still hard to explore the place :(

Anyway, the boss fucking sucks too. Dear devs, it's no fun getting 3(!) Veldstadts in a row and still not be able to win the fight...

zkylon

zkylewd
holy shit that's some terrible luck

most i've gotten is 2

and yea i don't care much for that boss

i think if it was with only the skellies it would've been ok, tho still pretty annoying

flame swathe spam... not cool

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
yea, the big guy's the problem, skellies are fine. i actually want to try if alluring skulls work for this but i'm on ng+++ and really rusty so just sunbro'd it
Derp, totally forgot to try that. Yeah that's a good idea. It probably won't work on the big guy but surely on the skeletons yes, it works in the Chariot fight after all.

imo a much more enjoying fight, much cooler boss in general with more predictable attacks, less spamming, no crowd control, it's a fucking , it's much better. and it's still challenging, at least with all melee (which is how i beat it)
Exactly. Those are challenging but fun. The others... they're fun to coop I guess but to solo, urgh, what a pain. Not sure I like that bosses were designed with coop in mind, though.

edit: btw spoilertagged your quote, might want to do the same with your post as what you're spoiling is a pretty nice (if evil) surprise
Oh good point. I'm normally careful but I was too excited about winning (that and it's 5 AM lol) and I just started typing furiously lol. Thanks for the reminder.

zkylon

zkylewd
i actually think final dlc boss might be harder with summons.

i don't think we ever got him when i tried to help people and his health seems to go up by a lot

one on one it took a lot of tries but since the bonfire is right there and it rarely felt cheap i think it was pretty ok

and yea, about alluring skulls, i've been watching enb's playthrough and i see he uses a lot more items than i do. i always end the game with like all my consumables hardly ever touched. i tried a bunch of things against her but in the end it was too much

i don't mind summoning people for boss fights i find annoying and she took so many tries i was a bit tired. got the other two solo so i feel pretty alright for myself

The mage NPC you can summon for the final boss of the DLC is strangely competent. She keeps healing herself and stays alive way longer than I thought she would, sometimes also outlasting myself. She's great bait.

Defeated the boss with a human ally and the NPC. Pretty crazy and exciting fight. Liked it better than the other two bosses.

Facism

holy shit that's some terrible luck

most i've gotten is 2

and yea i don't care much for that boss

i think if it was with only the skellies it would've been ok, tho still pretty annoying

flame swathe spam... not cool

i went through 5 Veldstalts -_- fucking NG++++

Mistel

Banned
Elana
when she summons
Velsdadt

Yep just ignore him and get behind her then you can kill Elana whilst he's there. Or you could just kill him.
The sword already does better damage and has a better move set than my old primary weapon, the greatsword.
Your greatsword is at max upgrade level? At that point it's got S STR scaling.

TnK

Yep just ignore him and get behind her then you can kill Elana whilst he's there. Or you could just kill him.

Your greatsword is at max upgrade level? At that point it's got S STR scaling.
It is at S scaling, but the combined damage of the crypt black sword is higher than the greatsword. On top of that, it has a much better move set.

Mistel

Banned
It is at S scaling, but the combined damage of the crypt black sword is higher than the greatsword. On top of that, it has a much better move set.
Having the gyrm axe moveset is handy on a greatsword. I prefer a drakekeepers ultra greatsword to the greatsword, it's basically a S scaling zweihander.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Did they patch the Scorpion/Man thing? I killed him for the Ring early, then went and killed the Scorpion/Woman boss. Came back to his sand pit and no Tombstone to summon his spirit or anything? I needed that damn Yore and Gesture!

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Did they patch the Scorpion/Man thing? I killed him for the Ring early, then went and killed the Scorpion/Woman boss. Came back to his sand pit and no Tombstone to summon his spirit or anything? I needed that damn Yore and Gesture!

Maybe you should've killed him after you got that stuff...? Just a thought.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Maybe you should've killed him after you got that stuff...? Just a thought.

Just asking if his Tombstone is still supposed to appear after you've killed the Scorpion boss? It used to back during the PS3 release...

And yeah, that's kinda obvious, hindsight is 20/20, but I had no idea if they patched this or if it's a bug?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Just asking if his Tombstone is still supposed to appear after you've killed the Scorpion boss? It used to back during the PS3 release...

And yeah, that's kinda obvious, hindsight is 20/20, but I had no idea if they patched this or if it's a bug?

I was only teasing. ;)

I've not killed him so I have no idea about the tombstone I'm afraid. Bonfire in/out? That might help.

ArynCrinn

Banned
I was only teasing. ;)

I've not killed him so I have no idea about the tombstone I'm afraid. Bonfire in/out? That might help.

I've traveled all around, plus reloaded the game several times. Still no Scorpion/Man Tombstone anymore... Guessing they either patch it to make Yore more finite, or it's a bug. =(

Woah, man. It's like I'm reading an autobiography here.

It took me 3 Souls games to cast my first bit of magic; and in those 500 odd hours, I reckon I've chomped down on about 12 Green Blossoms.

It's strange because even now, being completely in the know about the benefits and effects of everything, I'm still as stubborn as ever and barely turn my mind to items, spells, etc. I guess that speaks to my habits as a gamer.

And yep, I'm SL250 and those fuckers put up more of a fight than anything in the vanilla game. They're pretty foolhardy, though, so they'll happily run into a lunge attack or a big wind-up R2.

EDIT: NG+, by the way. Yet to experience the DLC in NG.

Mistel

Banned
Gravestones take roughly 3 hours of in game time Tark's will appear after that. He will cost 2500 souls to resurrect.
Well I don't know what this is, but..
http://a.pomf.se/lhxcnk.webm
That's cool I've never seen that before.

BeeDog

So, only thing left right now is to finish the final boss in the DLC; he's wrecking the crap out of me since I don't seem to do very much damage against him (granted, I'm using the 2 summons against him which makes him tougher). I do around 170 dmg on my first attack before going down to ~120/hit. :(

The optional boss in the DLC is quite fun, very nerve-wrecking fight for sure.

Xeroblade

Ok, So I was in love with the DLC until i figured out how short it was.
Elana
really? talk about recycling and her weapon is shit. And then, you get another Seath only he fights like Kalameet but super easy. Even on NG+ I was really hoping for some great items, turns out the only one worth anything is the one from the final boss. That
Drakeblood Armor
is cool and all but now everyone wears it like havels. Oh well, I think its time for me to step away from it for awhile.

Top Bottom