• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Mistel

Banned
If I only want to use one slot, do I need to add points to attunement? Also, I need to equip the rod to be able to cast correct? I did that, and I see none of the spells I have =/
You need 10 attunement to gain a single attunement slot. Some things take more than a single slot to use.

Sullichin

Decided to try Lightning Defender's Greatsword to have something to use with the lightning clutch ring. It's super popular in PVP but I tend to lean toward heavy physical damage weapons so I never tried it. Squeezing some more damage out of it with ROB and Flynn's. This thing just melts health bars. I also like that it has a built in buff because I don't have any ATT slots. Not worth using lingering on this right? The wiki says it only increases the time by 5 seconds.

Also I really like that you can access the DLC quickly from the start of NG+ (just rush Rotten). I guess we won't be able to do the same with the other two.

Interesting stats on Farfire with the new DLC. PS3 is dominating as expected.
http://farfire.darksoulsii.com/pc/multiplayer/index.html

Multiplayer stats is I think a decent barometer on gauging the playerbase sizes. The PC may not be much bigger than the 360 than originally thought.

As of the time of this post:
PS3: 902K Coop, 188K PVP
X360: 428K Coop, 104K PVP
PC: 473K Coop, 199K PVP

PS3 is double the other platforms on Coop. Interestingly PC has more PVP than PS3 in raw numbers which would actually be really high in a per capita base.

Maybe Durante can grace us with updated charts since he has been tracking it for a while now.

Well I don't know what this is, but..

http://a.pomf.se/lhxcnk.webm

That is awesome. With a few gameplay tweaks, From could create a really cool Martial Arts style of combat for fist weapons.

SoldnerKei

That is awesome. With a few gameplay tweaks, From could create a really cool Martial Arts style of combat for fist weapons.
Maybe Durante can grace us with updated charts since he has been tracking it for a while now.

so that is inaccessible data on the game or something like that? looks pretty cool thou... and I still want it lol

So the whole ordeal about rising the houses on the DLC was just......
find a bonfire?
you can do that only rising the first one....

If I only want to use one slot, do I need to add points to attunement? Also, I need to equip the rod to be able to cast correct? I did that, and I see none of the spells I have =/

Yep mostly any melee class start with 0 slots so yes, you have to raise that stat to 10 like Storm said

enemies be like
tumblr_m28lh2sAtC1qh33kso2_500.gif

Haunted

man the weapons from the dlc bosses souls are terribad :/
So, perfectly in line with the regular game boss soul weapons.

So the whole ordeal about rising the houses on the DLC was just......
find a bonfire?
you can do that only rising the first one....
The first platform damages the cluster of enemies, the second provides cover from the archers, the third gives access to treasure, an additional room and a shortcut back, and the last batch lead to a bonfire. Yes.

Well I don't know what this is, but..

http://a.pomf.se/lhxcnk.webm
Classic Kung Fu sweep into palm strike.

Shenmue III confirmed

Basically every playthrough I've had of this game has relied on miracles and lightning spear. This is my first playthrough sticking to melee and bows.

Haunted

wait what

Sunken Crown spoilers

What is this little secret area in the DLC about? The one with the Deku Tree and the Notched Whip +7. Whipping it makes it spew out some sort of curative, killing it gives some dried roots.

There must be something I'm missing here, that is so random.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yep just ignore him and get behind her then you can kill Elana whilst he's there. Or you could just kill him.
I did kill this boss, but you do realize that this isn't helpful, right? I said, "I have no idea how to get any opening. Either he's on your ass constantly or she spams those fireballs or dark orbs. And she casts absurdly fast, almost no cooldown."

Saying, "just kill her. or just kill him". Oh geez, that's what I have to do! Thanks, I had no idea! :p

Interesting stats on Farfire with the new DLC. PS3 is dominating as expected.
And yet no season pass for us. Grrrr.

wait what

Sunken Crown spoilers

What is this little secret area in the DLC about? The one with the Deku Tree and the Notched Whip +7. Whipping it makes it spew out some sort of curative, killing it gives some dried roots.

There must be something I'm missing here, that is so random.

Most of the benevolent creatures in DS2 were imprisoned so tree-bro would be enslaved

So have From applied a patch that allows dark spirits to use Estus?? I was in one of the dark chasms and was invaded (didn't even think you could be invaded there) and the guy used Estus against me. Why would they change that? That's like your one advantage when you're invaded

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The abyss invasions work a bit differently because the enemies will attack the invader too. You could use Estus as an Abyss invader before the patch too.

Mistel

Banned
I did kill this boss, but you do realize that this isn't helpful, right? I said, "I have no idea how to get any opening. Either he's on your ass constantly or she spams those fireballs or dark orbs. And she casts absurdly fast, almost no cooldown."

Saying, "just kill her. or just kill him". Oh geez, that's what I have to do! Thanks, I had no idea! :p
I just told you how I did it myself, never said it would be guaranteed to work. I mean if you wanted to negate her hexes a dark transgressor's shield does that. Her flame swathe is a real issue especially if he's there because you can't avoid both most of the time.
I killed it.
It respawns.

neoism

dlc over :*( man I wish is was longer... my have to put the game away for awhile :/ really wish they would have just released it as an expansion and done all three at once...

Was really great...shame Velstadt's Armor ia still da bess really wish they had a amazing looking armor with similar stats..

The abyss invasions work a bit differently because the enemies will attack the invader too. You could use Estus as an Abyss invader before the patch too.

Ok, I guess that's fair then. Still potentially unfair, as the host will likely already have used a few Estus before the battle begins, giving the invader more of them. I guess as the host you will have to indicate that you are interested in a fair No-estus duel by bowing and so on, and just hope the invader is honorable.

It's a bit funny. Before I had never been invaded there, but now I got invaded three times in one session. Twice even during one single visit. At least now I was prepared for it and wielding my preferred PVP weapon (Claymore) and won both times.

ecosse_011172

Hi guys, I'm playing with Staff in left hand, Rapier in the right hand and (so far) using plenty of Souls Arrow with quick melee stabbing and rolling.

I just killed Dragonrider
I'm now SL40 (Sorcerer)
VIG 7
END 6
VIT 5
ATN 16
STR 12
DEX 15
ADP 8
INT 20
FTH 4

I'm going to go and get the Fire Longsword and have a play with that.
I've been reading about getting the Hexer's Hood and Sunset Staff from Felkin the Outcast. and using hexes which sounds fun.

However, I'd have to put the next 16 levels into Faith to do that, it may be too late now, sounds like I'd be best sticking with DEX/INT.
What do you guys think?

As a strictly str/faith build and miracle user, I have to say this DLC is kind of kicking my ass. I've kind of grown bored of this build anyway, so I think I will respec. Any recommendations on builds that are currently very good? I was thinking of a str/fai/int hex build of some sort.

SoldnerKei

The DLC is already done but thats not how money works

so, if I go to the other primal bonfires I will find a structure like the one in the Black Gluch?

I don't remember the release dates for the other DLCs but I don't think they will release it that soon right? I want to get the Flower Dress Set, if there is a Set of course

TnK

You need 10 attunement to gain a single attunement slot. Some things take more than a single slot to use.

so that is inaccessible data on the game or something like that? looks pretty cool thou... and I still want it lol
Problem is, souls are actually hard to come by in NG+, enemies almost drop the same amount. Also, NG+ is not as hard as NG+ in Demon's.

This crypt blacksword sure is taking quite an investment to get right, but it is worth it in the end I hope. In Demon's my main weapon was DBS with curse sword. The crypt is really close to the DBS in both size and move sets. Adding that curse weapon on top of it would be ace.

And yet no season pass for us. Grrrr.
Here is what I did: When she summons the knight, she is busy summoning and he is on standby. Hit him hard at that moment until he drops almost half his health. he has a health of almost 1500-2000.

Mistel

Banned
I've been reading about getting the Hexer's Hood and Sunset Staff from Felkin the Outcast. and using hexes which sounds fun.However, I'd have to put the next 16 levels into Faith to do that, it may be too late now, sounds like I'd be best sticking with DEX/INT.
What do you guys think?
It's not too late to do that at all. You've got a long ways ahead of you so it's a worth while investment if you want to use hexes.
As a strictly str/faith build and miracle user, I have to say this DLC is kind of kicking my ass. I've kind of grown bored of this build anyway, so I think I will respec. Any recommendations on builds that are currently very good? I was thinking of a str/fai/int hex build of some sort.
If your going STR/FTH/INT a dark infused crypt blacksword will be a worthwhile investment. It does 266/218 with D/D/S scaling with the requirements of 40/10/12/12.
I don't remember the release dates for the other DLCs but I don't think they will release it that soon right?
Crown of the Iron king is out 26th of August the Crown of the Ivory king is out in September on the 24th.

SoldnerKei

Problem is, souls are actually hard to come by in NG+, enemies almost drop the same amount. Also, NG+ is not as hard as NG+ in Demon's.

to me it has been all the way around, I began to play NG+ and I am at shrine of amana and have like 800k souls, if you hit the DLC maps, you will get many more, and even if it's cheap use life protection rings, I rather have one than losing all my souls, to each their own

there no need to farm, just help people, kill bosses, etc... winning some pvp helps a lot too, I got like 200k from killing one dude

Crown of the Iron king is out 26th of August the Crown of the Ivory king is out in September on the 24th.

oh, thanks! well, it's like a month from each other

Hi guys, I'm playing with Staff in left hand, Rapier in the right hand and (so far) using plenty of Souls Arrow with quick melee stabbing and rolling.

I just killed Dragonrider
I'm now SL40 (Sorcerer)
VIG 7
END 6
VIT 5
ATN 16
STR 12
DEX 15
ADP 8
INT 20
FTH 4

I'm going to go and get the Fire Longsword and have a play with that.
I've been reading about getting the Hexer's Hood and Sunset Staff from Felkin the Outcast. and using hexes which sounds fun.

However, I'd have to put the next 16 levels into Faith to do that, it may be too late now, sounds like I'd be best sticking with DEX/INT.
What do you guys think?

Well, even if you only want to level INT, you can still get that equipment by respeccing to get high enough faith, and then respeccing back to your preferred build.

A tip, if you're new to the game, is to put some points into ADP. Enough to get 95 to 100 agility is a good target. This usually corresponds to about 20 ADP, Agility gives you more invincibility frames in your rolls; not levelling it up is gonna make the game quite painful at times.

TnK

Yo, another dumb question: I equip the staff for hexes (one sold in no man's wharf) and can't cast the hex, what gives?

Was the bug that let you duel infinitely without destroying a token of spite ever fixed?

Yo, another dumb question: I equip the staff for hexes (one sold in no man's wharf) and can't cast the hex, what gives?

Do you meet the stat requirements for the hex in question?

Hmmm, I just disconnected from a Game and can't connect to Steam. Anyone else having problems? Steam still says "No Connection" at the bottom of the UI.

EDIT: nvm, rebooted PC and connecting fine again. Window's even gave some errors... probably time for that annual Reformat.

Danny 117

I was running a fight club for the past day over at the Iron Keep bridge and man is it so fun. Brings me back to the old days of gaming with honour rules and the like.

It's hilarious when some rogue red phantom decides to try and kill me (the ringmaster). The other combatants stop their fight and help me kill them :p

Also, I make it a point to intervene if one of the combatants attacks the other whilst he is bowing, fuck that shit.

SoldnerKei

I was running a fight club for the past day over at the Iron Keep bridge and man is it so fun. Brings me back to the old days of gaming with honour rules and the like.

It's hilarious when some rogue red phantom decides to try and kill me (the ringmaster). The other combatants stop their fight and help me kill them :p

Also, I make it a point to intervene if one of the combatants attacks the other whilst he is bowing, fuck that shit.

this happened to me yesterday, after we killed the dude, the host waved at me and threw him/herself into the lava xD

fight clubs are the finest way to pvp

Any impressions on the DLC yet? Is it worth it?

Tons of impressions in this thread. Mostly positive. It is definitely worth it. It is one of the best area's in any Souls games in terms of level design. Very labrynthine with lots of puzzles and secrets to uncover with some new environmental mechanics.

Bosses are pretty good. They are criticized for being copy+paste of other bosses with maybe a few new wrinkles.

Manu

Tons of impressions in this thread. Mostly positive. It is definitely worth it. It is one of the best area's in any Souls games in terms of level design. Very labrynthine with lots of puzzles and secrets to uncover with some new environmental mechanics.

Bosses are pretty good. They are criticized for being copy+paste of other bosses with maybe a few new wrinkles.

The bolded sounds awesome, I find DS2's area design lackluster for the series' standards.

zkylon

zkylewd
The bolded sounds awesome, I find DS2's area design lackluster for the series' standards.
yea level design's really good, really cool area that's easy to get lost in with actually interesting interactable stuff in a way i don't think it's been done in a souls game before (you can like manually raise platforms and such) and good amount of trolly stuff too lol

bosses aren't too bad, i really liked the final boss, the other two are pretty meh

ecosse_011172

Well, even if you only want to level INT, you can still get that equipment by respeccing to get high enough faith, and then respeccing back to your preferred build.

A tip, if you're new to the game, is to put some points into ADP. Enough to get 95 to 100 agility is a good target. This usually corresponds to about 20 ADP, Agility gives you more invincibility frames in your rolls; not levelling it up is gonna make the game quite painful at times.

Thanks, I killed the Cathedral of Blue boss and did some soul farming and I have Faith at 18 already, 2 more level ups and I can start hexing and give some love back to Dex.

Thanks for the ADP tip, I'm new to DS2 but I completed (scraped through) the previous 2 souls games in the last year.
this is my first shieldless attempt though :)

Top Bottom