• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Mistel

Banned
Thanks, I killed the Cathedral of Blue boss and did some soul farming and I have Faith at 18 already, 2 more level ups and I can start hexing and give some love back to Dex.
DEX scaling isn't that good in this. It's best to get it to minimum requirements and that's it. STR is better to raise in the long run. Unless you make it into a raw weapon.

TnK

NG+, the entire game is a breeeeeze, then comes Smelter Demon. He is the hardest boss in the game hands down. Mainly because even if I have high fire resistance, it is of no use.

This is the Firelurker of DS2.

Levyne

Banned
NG+, the entire game is a breeeeeze, then comes Smelter Demon. He is the hardest boss in the game hands down. Mainly because even if I have high fire resistance, it is of no use.

Have never beaten him without the NPC summon. It doesn't bother me though since it's "required" (yeah yeah not technically) for her quest.

Xeroblade

Will anyone agree that the flamethrower npc
Jester Thomas
and the area right after him with
all those baby demon of song looking things,
was just super cheap and unfair? In the DLC. sorry.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Will anyone agree that the flamethrower npc and the area right after him with was just super cheap and unfair? In the DLC. sorry.
Kinda. The NPC was fine but the rest after... From be trollin'. "Hey guys you know what everyone loved best about our previous game? Lost Izalith! Let's make a throwback to that!"

At least there was no lava. XD

The catalyst is a staff, which is what I am trying to use.
Ok this is weird. What is the hex, what are your stats, and what is your catalyst, specifically?

UrbanRats

Will anyone agree that the flamethrower npc
Jester Thomas
and the area right after him with
all those baby demon of song looking things,
was just super cheap and unfair? In the DLC. sorry.

No.

Jester Thomas
is the first npc
invasion to ever give me a tough time
, can't complain about that.
And
those things are pretty easy if taken one at a time, because you easily roll through their slow attacks, they phone them in.

If anything the area before
the optional boss
is the only area i'd say it's cheap, because
it's more annoying than challenging with all those spitting statues and normal enemies

Kinda. The NPC was fine but the rest after... From be trollin'. "Hey guys you know what everyone loved best about our previous game? Lost Izalith! Let's make a throwback to that!"

Lost Izalith water version, Is the same thing but the dragons can bite you. Now lets troll some more and put a pointless bonfire too!.

Got up to the end of Sinner's Rise with a friend and we're already level 70. Was going sorcerer build again but decided to use a soul vessel so I can go nuts with hexes. They're pretty great but I don't like how a lot of them use up a ridiculous amount of attunement slots. Gonna now go straight for the DLC area so we can rock some hardcore crowns the rest of the game.

It amazes me how I still find this game to be so fantastically fun. Despite beating it 500 million times, it's still a good game to pick up and play and try different styles and dick around with friends in.

Got up to the end of Sinner's Rise with a friend and we're already level 70. Was going sorcerer build again but decided to use a soul vessel so I can go nuts with hexes. They're pretty great but I don't like how a lot of them use up a ridiculous amount of attunement slots. Gonna now go straight for the DLC area so we can rock some hardcore crowns the rest of the game.

It amazes me how I still find this game to be so fantastically fun. Despite beating it 500 million times, it's still a good game to pick up and play and try different styles and dick around with friends in.

And since you are drowning in souls in this game you can use the best hexes spells without remorse.

Xeroblade

No.

Jester Thomas
is the first npc
invasion to ever give me a tough time
, can't complain about that.
And
those things are pretty easy if taken one at a time, because you easily roll through their slow attacks, they phone them in.

If anything the area before
the optional boss
is the only area i'd say it's cheap, because
it's more annoying than challenging with all those spitting statues and normal enemies

He can spam firestorm and forbidden sun AND takes barely any damage? I dont think it was a challenge at all but more of a grind to take him out. And then you got the mini dinosaurs who is somewhat different but we cant fight them because the water slows our movement, how does anyone find that fun? It seems lazy to me. The level design of the DLC was fantastic, I loved getting lost. Enemies not so much. There is a big difference when you face an enemy who you like to fight as opposed to an enemy who is annoying, grinding and then there happens to be 3 more in the room because you know, it makes the game more challenging.

Sullichin

Ok this is weird. What is the hex, what are your stats, and what is your catalyst, specifically?

I know people expected those big enemies to fight like the dragon asses, but they really don't at all. They don't completely wreck your camera, they have a few attacks and they are spread out enough that you can be smart and either run past them easily or take them on one at a time. I thought they were really fun to fight.

Having trouble with the trio boss in NG+... damn.

UrbanRats

He can spam firestorm and forbidden sun AND takes barely any damage? I dont think it was a challenge at all but more of a grind to take him out. And then you got the mini dinosaurs who is somewhat different but we cant fight them because the water slows our movement, how does anyone find that fun? It seems lazy to me. The level design of the DLC was fantastic, I loved getting lost. Enemies not so much. There is a big difference when you face an enemy who you like to fight as opposed to an enemy who is annoying, grinding and then there happens to be 3 more in the room because you know, it makes the game more challenging.

I liked the npc, because it kept me on my toes, i usually don't give much thought to npc invasions, because the AI is super dumb and they go down pretty easily, but that one gave me a tough time, plus the fact that they don't respawn, to me, is an incentive to have them be especially tough, and let you get creative, as you feel like you can truly give it your all against them.
Had to use toxic mist on the fucker, especially considering at the same time i had to roll through the attacks of one of those ghosts that had chased me up to that point.
Some tense minutes those were.

As for the
dinos
, i didn't find them compelling nor unfair, as i said, they go down fairly quickly with a buff on your weapon and taken 1 on 1, but you have to have a light build, i don't know how an heavy, shielded one fairs.

But as always with the Souls games, YMMV, different players found difficulties at different points.

I've saved every boss soul I've gotten and I'm near the end of the game. I know generally what to do with them, but I don't know how or where. I'm tempted to just eat them all and level up a bunch. Why shouldn't I? I'm happy with my claymore +10.

I've saved every boss soul I've gotten and I'm near the end of the game. I know generally what to do with them, but I don't know how or where. I'm tempted to just eat them all and level up a bunch. Why shouldn't I? I'm happy with my claymore +10.

There are two mayor NPC that can generate boss weapons.
One is Straid, located from the lost bastille. The second one is Ornifex but first you have to freed her on shaded woods then she will relocate to tsedora

ElTopo

Banned
I still have all of my boss souls (used a handful of them on my first playthrough) still none of the boss weapons look great.

Mistel

Banned
I still have all of my boss souls (used a handful of them on my first playthrough) still none of the boss weapons look great.
There's several decent STR focused ones you cab get the boss souls for early into the game. Pursuers ultra greatsword, giant stone axe, and the butcher knife.

ElTopo

Banned
I have the Pursuer's Ultra Greatsowrd but haven't made much use of it. My Red Iron Twinblade is just overall faster and has a great wide arc.

If your going STR/FTH/INT a dark infused crypt blacksword will be a worthwhile investment. It does 266/218 with D/D/S scaling with the requirements of 40/10/12/12.
I ended up going this route, and I have to say, the Crypt Blacksword is an absolute BEAST in PvE. I'm really digging the axe-like moveset, although the slow swing speed has repeatedly got me into trouble. I suppose I will just have to adjust my playstyle.

I do have a couple questions.

1. It doesn't appear that dark weapon is boosting my damage on the Dark Crypt Blacksword. Both my overall damage, and phsyical/dark stats stay the same after casting it. What gives?

2. Being completely new to hexes, I need some advice. What is the best staff to use (olenford's?), and what are some good hexes for PvE?

3. So the one drawback of the sword seems to be it's low durability. Any suggestions on how deal with this? Just load up on repair powder? Have a backup sword in the ready?

Thanks in advance.

Trakan

1. It doesn't appear that dark weapon is boosting my damage on the Dark Crypt Blacksword. Both my overall damage, and phsyical/dark stats stay the same after casting it. What gives?

2. Being completely new to hexes, I need some advice. What is the best staff to use (olenford's?), and what are some good hexes for PvE?

3. So the one drawback of the sword seems to be it's low durability. Any suggestions on how deal with this? Just load up on repair powder? Have a backup sword in the ready?

Thanks in advance.

1. It doesn't alter stats when you cast it, but you should see an increase when you hit enemies.

2. Sunset Staff. You get it from Felkin when you have 20 int/faith. You also get a great headpiece from him as well. For chime required spells, use caitha's chime which is found in the castle.

3. It's always a good idea to have a backup weapon.

Trying to solo the Ruin Sentinels with no shield and pure melee is probably the least fun I've ever had with this game. Less fun than Ancient Dragon, even.

My desire to continue a no shield run is waning. Who am I trying to impress?

Trying to solo the Ruin Sentinels with no shield and pure melee is probably the least fun I've ever had with this game. Less fun than Ancient Dragon, even.

This game can be played without a shield easily maybe because the gameplay is faster or the enemies just charge at you, DS1 in other hand is more tricky.

SoldnerKei

The only NPC's I killed were the women at Things Betwixt. I did that just to see what would happen.

people die when they are killed

now getting to the dlc with a NG character I have at level 64, I want to see how much they destroy me with just 1.2k of hp... I bet some monsters will O.H.K.O me for sure

2AdEPT

I do have a couple questions.

2. Being completely new to hexes, I need some advice. What is the best staff to use (olenford's?), and what are some good hexes for PvE.

Thanks in advance.
Here is a video I made to help people get started with hexes. Read the description ito skip to parts you want to see...there is also a link showcasing my favorite hex - the Dead again Hex.

I'd be impressed man!!! It was one of the funnest bossses in the series to do with no shield...its not relaly about impressing, it's simpoly a fun challenge that adds way more depth to the game.

Here is a vid of me doing it early with a dex character.
Here is a more recent vid using the Vanquisher seal, fists only, and some original music enhancements by yours truly!

Again use the description to hyperlink to the boss fight.

zkylon

zkylewd
was monastery scimitar a rare drop?

i remember someone challenging me to get a drop from the painting guardian and it just dropped on my second try

so that's warlock mask on try 1, monastery scimitar on try 2. i'm pretty lucky i think lol

also released navlaan and man he's loves to show up on the worst times possible

it's great

Mistel

Banned
I ended up going this route, and I have to say, the Crypt Blacksword is an absolute BEAST in PvE. I'm really digging the axe-like moveset, although the slow swing speed has repeatedly got me into trouble. I suppose I will just have to adjust my playstyle.
It just takes practice that's all you pick it up as you go. As for durability the bracing knuckle ring will help, Welleger also sells infinite repair powder.

BeeDog

Can anyone suggest where I should drop my summon sign to help out in order to grab Sunlight Medals (NG+)? The new DLC bosses are a no-go, since the world master ALWAYS ends up dead. :(

Can anyone suggest where I should drop my summon sign to help out in order to grab Sunlight Medals (NG+)? The new DLC bosses are a no-go, since the world master ALWAYS ends up dead. :(

I don't know about NG+ specifically, but for some reason the congregation always got a lot of traffic in NG and it's the easiest fight in the game. I farmed there to get my sun sword on a couple of characters.

I am really loving my melee build at the moment! 30/25 Str and Dex with Flynn's Ring + Ring of Blades+2 = ~600 damage with a Bastard Sword 2hR2 and 725 with the Red Tearstone activated.

UrbanRats

Nooo, shieldless is the most fun way to play the game.
Summon an npc if you have to!

As for the Ruin Sentinels, the attack you really have to worry about, is the spinning one, when you see them do that, just roll away (you can roll through it theoretically, but it's hard as shit).
All the other attacks are somewhat predictable and rollable through, just make sure you have AGL to 100 or 105, for ideal I-Frames.

Of course kill the first one on the ledge, and there you can practice rolling through their attacks, when you have two, it gets trickier, and you will be able to only get one or two attacks in before going into defensive mode again, but they do take quite some damage.
Try to bait their attacks, so that they attack together and try to keep them both in your screen, and if one of them isn't, just listen to the audio cues to time your roll, 'cause they're probably preparing a jump slamming or a spinning attack on you.

They were the second hardest boss to do with my shieldless build, if that's any consolation, so once you got them out, the rest is easier (up until
Watched & Defender
).

An NPC will take away some of the aggro without being too determining in terms of damage dealt, so i'd also consider that option.
Exactly because you're not trying to brag to anybody, and because a shieldless run is more fun and aggressive than a shielded one, it's worth continuing.

Also, get poison arrows or a poison weapon and stay under 40% equip load!

Mistel

Banned
Twin dragon riders after old iron king. Those two are quite popular and really quick to do.

Danny 117

I have absolutely the best luck getting summoned at the entrance to Belfry Luna. I guess it's because people want to summon a sunbro so we can gank bellbros.

Ok... Either I'm just having REALLY bad luck with PVP connections or From patched the netcode over the weekend and made it worse. Never have I seen such consistency with lagstabs, delayed damage, teleporting and all sorts of other crazy bullshit across multiple fights. As always, the internet on my end is absolutely fine. Also, I seem to only be able to be matched up with two or three people per area and it just cycles through them! I read that more Soul Memory ranges were added (which sounded like a terrible idea on paper) so technically it would mean that there would be fewer players for me to connect to at high SM (24.4 million), which in turn makes me want to abandon my high SM character even more than I did before the changes!

BeeDog

Twin Dragon Riders is a decent summoning spot, actually! You're not summoned immediately (can take some time), but at the very least, when you're summoned you're pretty much destined to win the boss fight.

Haunted

lrn2roll

No seriously, you can roll through anything he throws at you and decent fire resistance will keep you alive through the burn damage.

He is tough, no doubt. There are no shortcuts with him, he has high def and resistances so you must duke it out for a while. But I think his reputation is overblown, probably because it's the first fight where blocking is useless (during the second half). No more sword and board ez mode!

Haunted

Doing a shieldless run is fine, but why do you shun Pilgrim Bellclaire? She just wants to help. :(

sheaaaa

I've been rocking the Broadsword literally the entire game. +10 now, have finished NG and the DLC. Is there anything better than it using the same moveset, or something I can do with it to make it better? My highest stat is Strength if that makes any difference.

Mistel

Banned
Twin Dragon Riders is a decent summoning spot, actually! You're not summoned immediately (can take some time), but at the very least, when you're summoned you're pretty much destined to win the boss fight.
That's why it's one of the better spots to farm as they aren't too difficult to kill and the host rarely struggles. The redeye ring is handy if your being summoned it can help the host live a lot longer by getting the boss to focus on you.
He is tough, no doubt. There are no shortcuts with him, he has high def and resistances so you must duke it out for a while.
Strike damage is the best for a majority of the bosses in the game Smelter is no exception. Lightning is a weakness of it too so with some golden pine resin and a strike weapon you can make short work of Smelter.

Jaeger

Smelter used to be hard. He is seriously the turning point in molding your ability to Souls. Now when I go back, he is easy as hell.

Mistel

Banned
I've been rocking the Broadsword literally the entire game. +10 now, have finished NG and the DLC. Is there anything better than it using the same moveset, or something I can do with it to make it better? My highest stat is Strength if that makes any difference.
Red rust sword is another straight sword which has A STR scaling but that has the axe moveset. But that's pretty much it unless you want to use a Drakekeeper sword which is has broadsword moveset but longer and stronger (245 for a max drakekeeper sword 240 for a broad) it has C/C scaling though compared B/D though.

If you want to just stick with the broadsword a ring of blades will help increase your damage.

Haunted

That's why it's one of the better spots to farm as they aren't too difficult to kill and the host rarely struggles. The redeye ring is handy if your being summoned it can help the host live a lot longer by getting the boss to focus on you.

Strike damage is the best for a majority of the bosses in the game Smelter is no exception. Lightning is a weakness of it too so with some golden pine resin and a strike weapon you can make short work of Smelter.
I'LL FIRE LONGSWORD HIM AND THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT

Top Bottom