• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

TnK

Have never beaten him without the NPC summon. It doesn't bother me though since it's "required" (yeah yeah not technically) for her quest.
I haven't summoned her before, so I don't think I will finish her quest.
Will anyone agree that the flamethrower npc
Jester Thomas
and the area right after him with
all those baby demon of song looking things,
was just super cheap and unfair? In the DLC. sorry.
I didn't find jester thomas hard, and also, I don't remember the area after it to be hard either. Plus, I heard there is an optional boss in the DLC, where is it?
Ok this is weird. What is the hex, what are your stats, and what is your catalyst, specifically?
The curse sword needs 16 INT and 14 faith, and I have 17 17 of both. I have 10 attunement to equip the hex, which I did. I am trying to use the staff for the hex, and it is not working.
lrn2roll

No seriously, you can roll through anything he throws at you and decent fire resistance will keep you alive through the burn damage.

He is tough, no doubt. There are no shortcuts with him, he has high def and resistances so you must duke it out for a while. But I think his reputation is overblown, probably because it's the first fight where blocking is useless (during the second half). No more sword and board ez mode!

Last time I beat him by rolling. I realized that even if I roll, I still get hit. This is the only boss in the game that gives me a lot of trouble. Even the last DLC boss, which I never used a shield on, never game me a lot of problems.

sheaaaa

Red rust sword is another straight sword which has A STR scaling but that has the axe moveset. But that's pretty much it unless you want to use a Drakekeeper sword which is has broadsword moveset but longer and stronger (245 for a max drakekeeper sword 240 for a broad) it has C/C scaling though compared B/D though.

If you want to just stick with the broadsword a ring of blades will help increase your damage.

That's a bit disappointing, thanks for the advice. Kept hoping throughout the game that one of the boss souls would give me something good.

Any melee weapons with a similar balance of speed and attack then? Tried some other weapons out, but they all seem a bit slow, and the faster stuff seems really weak.

@Wreck

Last night I got summoned into the DLC

And standing in front of me was red phantom and host that summoned me

The host waved at me and started running down the stairs, while the red phantom just stood there.

Soooo I started whaling on the phantom with my mallet and he just stood there until his life was less than half...

He began to run away, I gave chase then I was, then I guess the host player returned me to the my world.

I know its sorta troll like for players to do that but LOL I love it when players do this stuff it makes the game so fun!

Anybody else experience this?

Dyno

Oh I'm having fun with the DLC! The area between the second and third bonfire is great! It's big and maze-like, full of tough enemies and lots of treasure! Puzzle Sword just rocks! I'm so happy to have found a cool weapon like that!

I also finally realized that you can put a special stone in most every weapon and shield. It's like a sticker system. I have tons of everything so I was sticking and unsticking special stones to see what changes are made. Now my suite of weapons and sheilds are much more customized and good for more specific situations.

I didn't like DS2 crafting as much as DS and DeS but now I like it more.

Mistel

Banned
That's a bit disappointing, thanks for the advice. Kept hoping throughout the game that one of the boss souls would give me something good.

Any melee weapons with a similar balance of speed and attack then? Tried some other weapons out, but they all seem a bit slow, and the faster stuff seems really weak.
Archdrake mace it's a great hammer with the halberd moveset it's light at only 6 units of weight 250 damage with A/D scaling at max upgrade levels.
What's the best upgrade for the twinblades? I currenlty got 40 str and 30 dex.
Infusing them with either bleed or poison will allow you to make use of their fast attack speed effectively. Or keep it normal if you just want to benefit from the stat scaling.

If you've got those stats you should try the either the stone solider twinblade or the red iron twinblade. The red iron twinblade is strongest of the twinblades it's got A STR scaling at max with 340 damage. The stone twinblade is far lower in damage but it has A/D scaling so it will make use of your dex.

Dyno

iron twinblade. The red iron twinblade is strongest of the twinblades it's got A STR scaling at max with 340 damage.

I did jolly co-op with a guy last night you used the red iron twinblade and he was getting two and three hit combos with the damage going well past 1000 against the Sanctum Guards. Beastly looking thing... at least compared to my prim and proper sorceror.

SoldnerKei

I regret that I didn't record my game last night, game went kind of nuts and my character began to levitate while standing, it was after droping from one of the elevators on the DLC map, there was this strange noise as if the elevator was still on and my character was levitating up and down, it was pretty funny to see... I had to reload my game to stop the jolly levitation

Manu

9Jxf3YM.jpg

I thought my game had glitched but no, it's just the ugliest rock texture I've ever seen.

What the hell happened From, lol

Sullichin

Oh I'm having fun with the DLC! The area between the second and third bonfire is great! It's big and maze-like, full of tough enemies and lots of treasure! Puzzle Sword just rocks! I'm so happy to have found a cool weapon like that!

I also finally realized that you can put a special stone in most every weapon and shield. It's like a sticker system. I have tons of everything so I was sticking and unsticking special stones to see what changes are made. Now my suite of weapons and sheilds are much more customized and good for more specific situations.

I didn't like DS2 crafting as much as DS and DeS but now I like it more.

I miss some of the upgrade paths (sharp, crushing, and quality from DeS and crystal from DS), but it's definitely better here. It's nice being able to remove an infusion without losing the upgrade materials. While I thought DS was beautifully designed in how it allowed you to get the very large ember "early", I prefer that there is only one ember. I also think infusing a weapon with its latent damage type and then applying the appropriate buff makes more sense than the elemental-but-no-buffs-or-scaling or physical-only-butbuffable options in DaS1 for a spellsword.

lrn2roll

No seriously, you can roll through anything he throws at you and decent fire resistance will keep you alive through the burn damage.

He is tough, no doubt. There are no shortcuts with him, he has high def and resistances so you must duke it out for a while. But I think his reputation is overblown, probably because it's the first fight where blocking is useless (during the second half). No more sword and board ez mode!

...or just grab the Gyrm Greatshield. Easier than any other strategy.

I'm an enabler!

BeeDog

Finally, maxed out the Sunbro covenant after a loooong, long hiatus. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Can't decide if I should go on to NG++ (to finish up my remaining magic trophies) or to beat Darklurker again... But I had such a hard time with him during NG, might as well just skip it (though I'm a completionist :/ ).

Holiday

Banned
I'm trying to get into PvP for the Blue Sentinels rewards, but I am becoming frustrated with the immense lag. It's no fun getting backstabbed by someone who is in front of you. Is this a common experience?

Finally, maxed out the Sunbro covenant after a loooong, long hiatus. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Can't decide if I should go on to NG++ (to finish up my remaining magic trophies) or to beat Darklurker again... But I had such a hard time with him during NG, might as well just skip it (though I'm a completionist :/ ).

Beat her for her Soul, you can wait for the DLC if you have it

Mistel

Banned
I'm trying to get into PvP for the Blue Sentinels rewards, but I am becoming frustrated with the immense lag. It's no fun getting backstabbed by someone who is in front of you. Is this a common experience?
Yep you can be backstabbed from any direction with lag. I've had people roll away and stab me in the back from right in front of me.

Sullichin

I've reached Wretch status. The blue invasions are constant and delicious. Wish there was a cool build that somehow utilizes the 5% max health while hollow. Always in human form for PVP anyway.

The curse sword needs 16 INT and 14 faith, and I have 17 17 of both. I have 10 attunement to equip the hex, which I did. I am trying to use the staff for the hex, and it is not working.
You mean Dark Weapon? Not all weapons are enchantable. Check with a different weapon or look up your weapon on a wiki, but I'd imagine that it's because of that.
Also, in case you haven't used spell buffs before, you need your catalyst in one hand and the weapon you want to buff out in your other hand when you cast.
edit: I'm blind and didn't notice that your already figured it out. Whoops.

d00d3n

I just started with the DLC on PC after taking some time off with the game. Has the SLI or anti-aliasing compatibility been broken with some combination of the recent game patch and/or the nvidia driver update? Played the game with everything maxed, beautiful SLI scaling and 8xSGSSAA in 60 fps a couple of weeks ago, and now the game runs like shit. Had to lower to 4xSGSSA to begin with and a couple of minutes into the DLC it seems like I have to lower the settings even more ... What has happened? What do I have to do to get it working?

Running an i5 3570k, 8 gigs ram, geforce 780 sli and win7 64 bit. I am using the durante aa compatibility bit.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Curse sword? What is that? You mean Dark Weapon? Based on those stat reqs, sounds like it...

I figured it out, I had to equip it on my left hand.... :|
LOL... geez, were you trying to buff your sword while it was sheathed? >_<

Is
Sinh
now the easiest boss in the game? Pretty sure he has to be at least in the running.
I wouldn't go nearly that far. He's tougher than almost any non-DLC boss, though he's the easiest of the three DLC bosses. He's very easy in coop (as are any almost any bosses to be honest), but he's no pushover when soloin'g + company of Champions. I think
Kalameet
was probably a bit harder, though, but that might be my recollection of my SL1 run talking. Certainly much harder to get the
tail
off.

neoism

:( so WTF is my game fucked I needed a vessel real quick and went the the castle at the mirror knight boss and the pull switch right next to the fucking long ass elevator will not come up every-time I go near the lever is doesn't say anything and its all the way up at the room with that women in the cell :////////////////

lol nm im an idiot :p

SoldnerKei

I think
Kalameet
was probably a bit harder, though, but that might be my recollection of my SL1 run talking. Certainly much harder to get the
tail
off.

me too, since it's attacks covered more ground than
Sinh
at least I remember just being
poisoned
once in the whole fight, and after cutting it's tail it was even more easier, the only thing that was improved from
Kalameet
fight was the AI, this time it is quite unpredictable sometimes, or it was being a total ass to me

Demon of Song

ahem... well, I had kind of trouble with that one :'D
yeah the pattern is easy, but for X or Y I always messed up somehow lol

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
hey guys

I don't have the DLC yet

I heard there's a way to get summoned into it even if you don't own it? what's that about?

Mistel

Banned
hey guys

I don't have the DLC yet

I heard there's a way to get summoned into it even if you don't own it? what's that about?
Place your summon sign before the door to the DLC after you interact with the shrine in black gulch primal bonfire room.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
What a ridiculous thing to say lol. What about Prowling Mangus, Covetous Demon, Dragonrider, Demon of Song. Sinh isn't anywhere near the easiest.
Seriously. In fact I dare say he's harder than any non-DLC boss except maybe the Sentinels and Smelter (debatable, I think I die far less to them).

Place your summon sign before the door to the DLC after you interact with the shrine in black gulch primal bonfire room.

Are their summon signs visible to those with DLC right there or somewhere else? I would like to summon those folks for some fun but I never go all the way back to that door to check for summons.

BTW, the optional boss fight in the DLC is giving me all kinds of grief. Being on NG++ doesn't help either.

Khronico

Uh so I just got this game for PS3, downloaded the patch, and got to 'installing trophy set', but it constantly fails and comes up with an error saying 'cant install trophy set'. I have no idea why this is happening, it's a brand new copy straight from amazon. Do I need to reinstall the patch or something? I can't play the game because of this error.

I also just tried uninstalling the patch and playing it vanilla but it also gave me the same exact error. This is utterly baffling me, no game has ever done this on my PS3 and there are no google search results for this error I'm getting. Am I the only person who has encountered this?

Mistel

Banned
Are their summon signs visible to those with DLC right there or somewhere else? I would like to summon those folks for some fun but I never go all the way back to that door to check for summons.
You can only be summoned to cave of the dead if you don't have the DLC you put it down and you get summoned there and that's it. Nowhere else as far as I understand it.

Is
Sinh
now the easiest boss in the game? Pretty sure he has to be at least in the running.

Since he cant one shot you on any of his attacks, slow as hell, his fire attacks dont do continous damage and all his attacks are pretty obvious. he is easy as cake.

hey guys

I don't have the DLC yet

The last patch unlocked a new area after the rotten primal bonfire so you can put your sign there and watch the first area of the game

ElTopo

Banned
Man, I want more Dark Souls. Insert Barney Injectitrightintomyvains.gif here.

I've played and beaten DS1 for PC. Started a little bit of NG+ and was disappointed that it wasn't very different (DS2 does NG+ and so on way better I think). So, I was going to re-download it through Steam and setup DSFIX, DSMousefix, and maybe try that HD Graphics mod but then I realized something. We're still waiting for Dark Souls to be updated and have GFWL ripped out of it.

I'm really hoping that From/Namco will go the extra mile and incorporate common sense features this time so I don't have to use fan mods just to be to play the game without a 360 controller.

Plus I still had problems with the game even when I got the mods to work, the Lock-On feature wouldn't work when enemies were a few feet away from me, the FPS dropped like a rock (The Silf fight was almost 10 FPS, I'm not exaggerating) and if I tried to lock the framerate at 30 or tried to unlock it the game wouldn't start.

ElTopo

Banned
That's to teach you not to rely on it. It's not helpful to rely on it in boss fights or later on in the game.

No, I'd turn a corner, I know an enemy is there, he's roughly 10 feet away, I position my camera accordingly, move in, hit lock-on, and nope doesn't happen.

Never was an issue in Dark Souls 2.

Mistel

Banned
No, I'd turn a corner, I know an enemy is there, he's roughly 10 feet away, I position my camera accordingly, hit lock-on, and nope doesn't happen.

Never was an issue in Dark Souls 2.
Because it has a finite range which you can lock on to an enemy from(or is it to?).

Mistel

Banned
When I'm 5-10 feet away from them? I don't think so. Plus I've never had that problem in Dark Souls 2.
If it doesn't work five to ten feet away from them doesn't that make it finite in range? It's increased in this game it's a far longer range that you can lock on unlike the first one.

Khronico

Uh so I just got this game for PS3, downloaded the patch, and got to 'installing trophy set', but it constantly fails and comes up with an error saying 'cant install trophy set'. I have no idea why this is happening, it's a brand new copy straight from amazon. Do I need to reinstall the patch or something? I can't play the game because of this error.

I also just tried uninstalling the patch and playing it vanilla but it also gave me the same exact error. This is utterly baffling me, no game has ever done this on my PS3 and there are no google search results for this error I'm getting. Am I the only person who has encountered this?

Just sent an email to namco bandai customer support. Also tried multiple different scenarios to see if it fixed the problem (playing offline, reinstalling the patch) and none of them worked. Really frustrating.

What a ridiculous thing to say lol. What about Prowling Mangus, Covetous Demon, Dragonrider, Demon of Song. Sinh isn't anywhere near the easiest.

Nah dude he's just as easy if not easier. He is very comparable to Demon of Song. If you just stay in front of him he can never hit you cause everything he does is super telegraphed.

Nah dude he's just as easy if not easier. He is very comparable to Demon of Song. If you just stay in front of him he can never hit you cause everything he does is super telegraphed.

Helped another guy to beat him and I realized his hitboxes are smaller compared to kalameet and dont do the tail attack.

Khronico

Alright fixed it, had to restore file system and restore database. Haven't done it in the 5 years I've owned this PS3 lol. Time for some Dark Souls 2!

Top Bottom