• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

TnK

Curse sword? What is that? You mean Dark Weapon? Based on those stat reqs, sounds like it...

LOL... geez, were you trying to buff your sword while it was sheathed? >_<

I wouldn't go nearly that far. He's tougher than almost any non-DLC boss, though he's the easiest of the three DLC bosses. He's very easy in coop (as are any almost any bosses to be honest), but he's no pushover when soloin'g + company of Champions. I think
Kalameet
was probably a bit harder, though, but that might be my recollection of my SL1 run talking. Certainly much harder to get the
tail
off.
Curse sword is actually the DeS hex, and I keep on mentioning it, lol. And yes, I am dumb. I was wondering how I used to apply curse sword on my weapon in DeS, and after pondering for a good amount of time, I remembered. I was trying to apply a hex on a sheathed weapon :eek:

The worst boss in the game hands down is the double dragonrider boss. Screw that boss all the way. Didn't even bother and used a summon sign on the floor. He had a smelter demon boss sword + some sort of extra fire damage. What is that exactly? He did a toooooooon of damage.

Till now though, NG+ is easy. I am almost through with the game, and have only played for 2 days.

Mistel

Banned
He had a smelter demon boss sword + some sort of extra fire damage. What is that exactly? He did a toooooooon of damage.
Smelter sword it's a powerhouse of an ultra greatsword in the right hands as demonstrated to you. 350/170 damage at max with C/D/C scaling.

Manu

Just beat the main game. Again, I'm sure there's a bunch of stuff I didn't do.

The final boss was pretty disappointing.

To this day, I have no fucking idea how invasion works in DS2. I'm lvl 50 with SM of 90,000 and I got invaded by some asshole equipped with havel's set with ridiculous amount of hp who can one shot me with both sword and magic. I swear, his SM would've been over 200,000 with that kind of stats and items.

Just beat the main game. Again, I'm sure there's a bunch of stuff I didn't do.

The final boss was pretty disappointing.

Well did you found all the covenants?
Did you free Ornifex?
Did you visit the sol and luna bells ?
Did you fought ancient dragon and Darklurker?
Did you fought the rat boss on the pharros key?
Did you got the 13 estus fragment and the 5 ashes upgrade?
Did you helped the two warriors dilema?
Did you met vengar, the scorpion guy and the sin guy?

Manu

Did you free Ornifex?

1. No, but I didn't in DaS1 either
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. No
5. Can't remember
6. No and yes
7. I guess not
8. Yes, yes and no

Kinda random but

96c

v1perz53

God damn, why do I suck so badly at Pursuer. I picked up what was to be my no death character (that died on pursuer) a few days ago and finished the rest of the game without another death. And yet, the last four no death characters I have started all died to first pursuer fight. I have some kind of mental block with this fight when I know I need to not die. Maybe because I generally fight him using a parry strategy, but that is too risky for a no death run that early in the game. Ugh, so frustrating.

And I know I can technically skip the pursuer first fight, but I like having the antiquated key to skip Ruin Sentinels. Oh well, I should probably cut my losses and not do him next playthrough. Feels like giving up though..

Also, as an aside I think it is super dumb that you basically have to play offline to get the "no deaths" ring. I could get disqualifying you if you summoned people, but I always feel like I am doing something slightly shady when I pull my internet plug before starting the game so I can go into offline mode. If I was more confident in how burning effigies worked I would use that, but the last time I burned one on a no death character, I was invaded not 15 minutes later, so I clearly don't fully understand how that works.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Hahaha, that reminds me, one time I speed ran past the guards to kill Mytha, and then idled around in the boss room and almost died at the guards who aggroed me after the fog lifted. XD

zkylon

zkylewd
God damn, why do I suck so badly at Pursuer. I picked up what was to be my no death character (that died on pursuer) a few days ago and finished the rest of the game without another death. And yet, the last four no death characters I have started all died to first pursuer fight. I have some kind of mental block with this fight when I know I need to not die. Maybe because I generally fight him using a parry strategy, but that is too risky for a no death run that early in the game. Ugh, so frustrating.

And I know I can technically skip the pursuer first fight, but I like having the antiquated key to skip Ruin Sentinels. Oh well, I should probably cut my losses and not do him next playthrough. Feels like giving up though..

Also, as an aside I think it is super dumb that you basically have to play offline to get the "no deaths" ring. I could get disqualifying you if you summoned people, but I always feel like I am doing something slightly shady when I pull my internet plug before starting the game so I can go into offline mode. If I was more confident in how burning effigies worked I would use that, but the last time I burned one on a no death character, I was invaded not 15 minutes later, so I clearly don't fully understand how that works.

weird

i was being invaded non stop at undead crypt yesterday and used an effigy and worked perfectly

then same happened at dragon aerie and did the same and again no more invasions

:I

Fashion Souls-ing it up with my Exiled Grave Warden build.

exiled1_by_realghostvids-d7swm5f.jpg

exiled2_by_realghostvids-d7swm50.jpg

The Full Moon Sickle looks damn good and reaper weapons in general are under-used, so some opponents are caught off guard.

TnK

Smelter sword it's a powerhouse of an ultra greatsword in the right hands as demonstrated to you. 350/170 damage at max with C/D/C scaling.

Currently, my curse sword does about 700-900 damage depending whether I have the curse or not, but he did even more damage than what I did.
Did you free Ornifex?

I actually did all of these things minus the last two, what are they exactly?

sheaaaa

Tips for
Belfry Sol and Luna
anyone? I've finished the game and DLC, and thought I'd go back to whichever one it is that
Iron Keep
leads to, and nope, still getting destroyed by
1 or 2 invaders

Mistel

Banned
Currently, my curse sword does about 700-900 damage depending whether I have the curse or not, but he did even more damage than what I did.
It can not be infused or enchanted that was probably what they had without knowing their stat's and Dragon rider's are weak to fire so that is why they did more damage then you.
Pate and Creighton's story and three different NPC's you can meet Vengarl, Manscorpion Tark and the pardoner.

ElTopo

Banned
Tips for
Belfry Sol and Luna
anyone? I've finished the game and DLC, and thought I'd go back to whichever one it is that
Iron Keep
leads to, and nope, still getting destroyed by
1 or 2 invaders

Play offline? I honestly don't know, after a couple of attempts on both playthroughs on my last try I wasn't invaded. I don't know if the game took pity on me or there was no one available to summon who was around my level.

TnK

It can not be infused or enchanted that was probably what they had without knowing their stat's and Dragon rider's are weak to fire so that is why they did more damage then you.

Pate and Creighton's story and three different NPC's you can meet Vengarl, Manscorpion Tark and the pardoner.

Thanks =D

Khronico

So I just finished Last Giant last night, and I'm back in Majula. I have a questions regarding builds and weapons:

So I picked Swordsman as my starting class, and I guess I didn't realize that it was more of a starting point for a dex build. Not a huge fan of dex builds (always a fan of str builds in DS1) but I figured I might as well try it out, and I got used to it. I'm lvl 22 and I finally found a weapon I enjoyed using too, the Estoc (upgraded it to +1). It kinda feels as if the estoc is the best dex weapon at this early point in the game. The thrust animation set is extremely useful to poke with shield up, close distances, or keep away enemies, and the damage scaling is really good. Is it my best choice as a dex weapon in the early game?

I was also wondering about how I should level up stats as a dex build. I leveled up VIT and VIG to 8,STR to 14, and my DEX is currently 22, but I'm not really sure what stats are important for me. Should I be concentrating on dex now or are there other useful stats I should plunk down some souls for?

Mistel

Banned
So I just finished Last Giant last night, and I'm back in Majula. I have a questions regarding builds and weapons:

So I picked Swordsman as my starting class, and I guess I didn't realize that it was more of a starting point for a dex build. Not a huge fan of dex builds (always a fan of str builds in DS1) but I figured I might as well try it out, and I got used to it. I'm lvl 22 and I finally found a weapon I enjoyed using too, the Estoc (upgraded it to +1). It kinda feels as if the estoc is the best dex weapon at this early point in the game. The thrust animation set is extremely useful to poke with shield up, close distances, or keep away enemies, and the damage scaling is really good. Is it my best choice as a dex weapon in the early game?

I was also wondering about how I should level up stats as a dex build. I leveled up VIT and VIG to 8,STR to 14, and my DEX is currently 22, but I'm not really sure what stats are important for me. Should I be concentrating on dex now or are there other useful stats I should plunk down some souls for?
Estoc's is a STR weapon primarily with regards to scaling. So you can keep using it if you enjoy it it's a perfectly decent weapon. As DEX scaling isn't that good it's best to keep it at minimum requirements for a weapon or 1.5 the requirements to powerstance your weapons.

You should place some levels in ADP to get agility to 90-110. STR would be a good place to put your levels along with END and VIG.

Khronico

Estoc's is a STR weapon primarily with regards to scaling. So you can keep using it if you enjoy it it's a perfectly decent weapon. As DEX scaling isn't that good it's best to keep it at minimum requirements for a weapon or 1.5 the requirements to powerstance your weapons.

You should place some levels in ADP to get agility to 90-110. STR would be a good place to put your levels along with END and VIG.

Alright thanks I'll do that. Never done dex builds before so all of this is kinda confusing ha.

Like Storm said is the sidequest about Pate and creighton that sends you to help one of them and gives the armor set of the one you helped and meeting those npcs grants you their summon signs for specific bosses (except the absolve sin guy).

13 fragments
? I can only upgrade it to
D:

and what is this
sin guy
you talk about?
the guy who erase your sins
?

The herald Max upgrade is to 12 estus but you can find a spare fragment out there (or maybe the spare estus fragment is the one on the water well?)

I have never made a dark or hex-using character before, maybe that's what I'll try next.

Kinda have a "cursed paladin" RP concept rolling around my head.

Suggestions for good dark weapons until I can get the Crypt Blacksword?

Sullichin

I have never made a dark or hex-using character before, maybe that's what I'll try next.

Kinda have a "cursed paladin" RP concept rolling around my head.

I used a dark longsword with resonant weapon (i'd use dark weapon if I made this build again today) for the majority of the game. GRS/RS/Scraps of life are great offensive options especialy in PVE

Mistel

Banned
What is this
sin guy
you talk about?
the guy who erase your sins
?
You can be absolved of you sins by Cromwell the pardoner in Tseldora.
A dark infused bastard sword or a claymore will work quite well both have C/D/B scaling with the claymore being stronger 203/203 at max compared to 196/196 both are available early on. There's also the silver back spear which has dark damage from default and benefits from infusion to boost the scaling to B for dark.

Danny 117

Someone please throw your summon sign down at Shrine of Armana first bonfire. I'm losing patience with the casters, blue phantoms and dark spirits that keep invading :(

SoldnerKei

You can be absolved of you sins by Cromwell the pardoner in Tseldora.

yup, I know that, I was asking regarding Orochinagis' post, since he grouped that with other 'hard to find' npc, I was wondering if it was Cromwell who he was refering to, it's the only one that I think fits the "sin guy" label and is quite easy to miss

if not seems like I missed something else lol

BeeDog

Thought I'd cruise through NG++, but it has proven to be a bit more difficult than I anticipated. The damn Belfry gargoyles are wrecking my shit like nothing else, goddamn. :(

The herald Max upgrade is to 12 estus but you can find a spare fragment out there (or maybe the spare estus fragment is the one on the water well?)

You can continue to collect shards in either NG+ or by using Bonfire Ascetics, but they can't be used to further upgrade your flask. 12 uses is the maximum amount.

Thought I'd cruise through NG++, but it has proven to be a bit more difficult than I anticipated. The damn Belfry gargoyles are wrecking my shit like nothing else, goddamn. :(

I know what you mean. Bosses have an absurd amount of health. I'm considering respeccing for bare minimum weapon requirements, 30/30 INT/Faith for Dark Weapon. IDK what else to do.

So... I haven't been invaded yet. I burned a huma effigy forever ago and still not sure if the effect wore off. Rereading the item description, do I weaken the link just by using one as well (to go human)? I want the true experience.

How do I strengthen the link and what's the easiest way to check if the effect wore off?

_DrMario_

Well I beat DS2 for the first time today and moved on to the DLC. I thought I was going to finish the DLC tonight but fuck that last boss. Spending the entire fight sprinting from one side of the arena to the other is not what I call exciting. It's boring and annoying.

But clearly I'm in the minority from what I'm reading on the internet.

Top Bottom