• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Well I beat DS2 for the first time today and moved on to the DLC. I thought I was going to finish the DLC tonight but fuck that last boss. Spending the entire fight sprinting from one side of the arena to the other is not what I call exciting. It's boring and annoying.

But clearly I'm in the minority from what I'm reading on the internet.

I can see why it can be tedious at times, but you are fighting a flying dragon. For me it gives it a sense of authenticity. It should take time to find openings.

Khronico

Played a ridiculous amount early today, finally got the combat down pat for the most part. So far I really haven't had any issues with the bosses (Lost Sinner, Gargoyles, Skeleton Lords, Old Dragonslayer, Dragonrider, etc). They all seemed pretty easy, minus some deaths from sloppy playing by me. I'm already up to Huntsman's Copse and about to enter Undead Purgatory.

gogosox82

So... I haven't been invaded yet. I burned a huma effigy forever ago and still not sure if the effect wore off. Rereading the item description, do I weaken the link just by using one as well (to go human)? I want the true experience.

How do I strengthen the link and what's the easiest way to check if the effect wore off?

In ng, you don't get invaded that much (expect for npc invasions). You'll start getting more invasions in ng+. If you want to pvp, there are assigned area specifically for pvp but if you want to get invaded a lot, you kind of have to go to ng+.

_DrMario_

I can see why it can be tedious at times, but you are fighting a flying dragon. For me it gives it a sense of authenticity. It should take time to find openings.

Alright got that motherfucker on my first try after taking a break.

/warcry

Time to start playing Dark Souls.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I just had a total baller moment in DSII today.

I'm in Harvest Valley. I get to the part where you're on the perilous cliff sides with deadly drops on the sides. I get invaded and don't immediately see them, so I keep exploring. The invader appears and starts rushing towards me. They come right up to attack me, I in one stroke shove them off the ledge, they fall to their death, I keep going on my merry way.

So god damned satisfying.

Anyone else on PC have an issue where their controller just won't let them reliably use jumping attacks? Using a 360 controller, didn't have this issue in the first game.

Well I beat DS2 for the first time today and moved on to the DLC. I thought I was going to finish the DLC tonight but fuck that last boss. Spending the entire fight sprinting from one side of the arena to the other is not what I call exciting. It's boring and annoying.

But clearly I'm in the minority from what I'm reading on the internet.

Sinh
have a pretty simple combat pattern, not so much thinking to learn and yes you will spend most of the fight evading and attack like ancient dragon, I think the gank squad is more challenging than him.

2AdEPT

Anyone else on PC have an issue where their controller just won't let them reliably use jumping attacks? Using a 360 controller, didn't have this issue in the first game.

my logitech wont let me jump attack and the lock on toggles automatically back and forth really fast.....excessively annoying.

I'm on consoles and I agree, I pull it off more consistently in the first game. I think the sensitivity is just different this time around.

Probably. Unfortunately on PC it's damn near impossible to pull off. Maybe 1 attempt in 15 will give me a jumping attack. Glad it's never been a huge part of my repertoire in combat.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

I'm on consoles and I agree, I pull it off more consistently in the first game. I think the sensitivity is just different this time around.

Probably. Unfortunately on PC it's damn near impossible to pull off. Maybe 1 attempt in 15 will give me a jumping attack. Glad it's never been a huge part of my repertoire in combat.

I had the same issue but then I learned the problem.

You should hit "stick forward' and then immediately afterwards R2. If you do them both at the same time it just does the heavy. If you do R2 immediately after pressing forward you'll do the jumping attack. It seems like R2 is recognized more quickly than stick forward is, which is what makes it do the heavy attack before reading that you're trying to do a jump attack. As soon as the analog boundary is broken on the heavy button, it starts executing the attack. Usually, that means it's before you've fully pressed the stick.

Here's me doing the jumping attack consistently following the above advice.

http://a.pomf.se/fikkls.webm

Hope this helps you's out!

Somewhat related: on 360, the game has made me jump of its own accord numerous times; either out of a sprint, or instead of a roll. The majority of the time it happens in PvP, so I Initially thought it was a byproduct of lag and what have you, but I've also had it happen offline. It's really quite bad.

ecosse_011172

I'm a Sorcerer and I have Soul Arrow, Great Soul Arrow and Dark Weapon assigned.
I have the Sunset Staff and the Hexer's Set, using a Fire Longsword with the following stats.

VIG 8
END 8
VIT 5
ATN 16
STR 12
DEX 15
ADP 9
INT 22
FTH 20

I've gotten to the 3rd bonfire in Huntsman's Copse and I've messed around in No-Man's Wharf till I got to the NPC who buys stuff then I hightailed it back to spend some souls.

I've used Dark Weapon a few times which is nice but using it on my Fire infused sword clearly isn't optimal. I get the impression that I won't get any Dark weapons anytime soon so should I not bother with my Dark Weapon hex until then?
Should I keep upping Dex?
I'd like to play two handed, staff in one hand, sword in the other with a fast sword and rolling.
Should I focus on improving defence and agility just now?

Thanks in advance for the tips.

Soulhouf

Well, I gave in and purchased the DLC. Started it at 8PM and finished it at midnight which makes it around 4 hours long.
I was actually very impressed. It felt very King's Fieldish, even more so than the actual game which is a good thing.
It was short but very intense.

Also wow, I summoned a NPC character and he bowed to me? I had to check if he wasn't human lol. That was fucking awesome.

Anyway, B-team almost redeemed, kind of.

Rizzi

My first run on the PS3 was a dex build, so I don't really know what the good strength weapons are for my PC run. I'm using a zweihander at the moment.

Mistel

Banned
My first run on the PS3 was a dex build, so I don't really know what the good strength weapons are for my PC run. I'm using a zweihander at the moment.
There's several different varieties of STR focused weapons it depends what you are after. If you like the zweihander you should look out for a drakekeeper ultra greatsword exactly the same moveset but with S scaling at max.
I've used Dark Weapon a few times which is nice but using it on my Fire infused sword clearly isn't optimal. I get the impression that I won't get any Dark weapons anytime soon so should I not bother with my Dark Weapon hex until then?
I'd like to play two handed, staff in one hand, sword in the other with a fast sword and rolling.

Thanks in advance for the tips.
By using dark weapon on a fire infused weapon you are splitting damage three ways which increases the number of defenses a weapon has to go through making it do less damage. You should avoid upping DEX above minimum requirements due to the poor scaling you are better off raising STR for more damage than dex will offer you.

As for dark weapons you can obtain one the silverback spear in Earthen Peak which isn't much of a journey after the copse. You can also get a dark infused scythe in shaded woods. They may not suit your play style however.
How the fuck did that dude die at 2:10? Did the stone dude actually swing back the projectile?
They're killed by the old knight's hammer blow it then got hit by the projectiles and took damage.

UrbanRats

I had the same issue but then I learned the problem.

You should hit "stick forward' and then immediately afterwards R2. If you do them both at the same time it just does the heavy. If you do R2 immediately after pressing forward you'll do the jumping attack. It seems like R2 is recognized more quickly than stick forward is, which is what makes it do the heavy attack before reading that you're trying to do a jump attack. As soon as the analog boundary is broken on the heavy button, it starts executing the attack. Usually, that means it's before you've fully pressed the stick.

Here's me doing the jumping attack consistently following the above advice.

http://a.pomf.se/fikkls.webm

Hope this helps you's out!
I can confirm this.

However it's still too unreliable for me, especially in the heat of battle.
I just learned not to use it (unfortunately, since i used it quite a bit in DkS1).

Soulhouf

I can confirm this.

However it's still too unreliable for me, especially in the heat of battle.
I just learned not to use it (unfortunately, since i used it quite a bit in DkS1).

That's a shame because jumping attack is much more useful in DS2 thanks to the additional tracking.

I don't know what's the problem you have guys but now I'm able to trigger it every time (PS3). It's a timing thing and you get used to it with some practice.

ecosse_011172

Sounds to me like you are aiming for a Melee/Hex build, is that right? Tis a fine choice! This is a nice, detailed article on that very subject.

Thanks a lot, the article confirms that I'm some time away from a Dark Weapon.
Should I not bother with my Dark Weapon hex until then?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks a lot, the article confirms that I'm some time away from a Dark Weapon.
Should I not bother with my Dark Weapon hex until then?

1) As Stormtrooper said, don't bother using Dark Weapon with your fire-sword. The fire-sword WITH the Dark Weapon Buff does three sorts of damage: Physical, Fire and Dark. That means that it has to go through three separate defences. It's better to focus on one or two types of damage and push them as much as you can to get the most out of them.

Miss Trooper also mentioned the Silverblack Spear. This is an excellent weapon for a Hex/Melee build with a pretty cool moveset that you can get as early as Earthen Peak (drops from the guys with flannel faces and the shiny spears there). It naturally does both Dark and Physical damage, so Dark Weapon would be extra brilliant here because it will pile extra Dark damage on (and very few people have Dark defence). I used it a lot early in my Hex/Melee build, so I recommend you go for that. It was even pretty good in PvP. When you get hold of a Darknight Stone and can imbue it, it'll buff the Spear's Dark damage even further.

2) Depends on the weapon requirements and whether they have good DEX scaling. If it's the former, just match the stat. If it's the latter and the DEX scaling is S, A or B, pump it to 30-40 (if you want to stick with it, that is). As Miss Trooper said (again), STR has better overall scaling, so if your weapon isn't has even or better STR, you'll get more bang for your buck from upping STR over DEX. It all depends on what weapon you want to use. If we take the Silverblack Spear, which has a C/C/C scaling in STR/DEX/DRK, you're better off upping your STR and INT/FTH (for extra Dark damage) rather than DEX.

3) Not sure. Depends on how well armoured you are, whether you use a shield and whether you dodge a lot. As a sorcerer, I'd probably pump a bit into ATN. That ups your spell casting speed, number of spell slots, number of casts and your agility. Get your agility (AGL) to 98-100 for now via ATN or ADP, I reckon. High AGL gives you extra I-frames, which are always handy.

One other thing: if rolling is your thing, then as well as a fairly decent AGL you'll want to keep your overall weight/encumbrance down, I find below 50% is pretty good (below 30% is probably the best). Low carry weight means you roll longer distances.

You could just get a decent shield though, depends what you are after.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So I was almost a dick today.. I summoned a Red Phantom in the Iron Keep. Guy/Gal was very obviously AFK and spawned on the platform near the lava.

I drop an I'm Sorry carving and proceed to push the phantom down into lava, then I hesitate, regret my foul deed and suicide. At that moment the person comes back, sees what I've done and promptly bows as I sink into the lava.

Had another fun fight where a guy was using a cestus, my weapon was doing way more damage on the fellow though, so I proceed to go unarmed and we have a manly as fuck fist fight duel. Was really fun.

ecosse_011172

1) As Stormtrooper said, don't bother using Dark Weapon with your fire-sword. The fire-sword WITH the Dark Weapon Buff does three sorts of damage: Physical, Fire and Dark. That means that it has to go through three separate defences. It's better to focus on one or two types of damage and push them as much as you can to get the most out of them.

Miss Trooper also mentioned the Silverblack Spear. This is an excellent weapon for a Hex/Melee build with a pretty cool moveset that you can get as early as Earthen Peak (drops from the guys with flannel faces and the shiny spears there). It naturally does both Dark and Physical damage, so Dark Weapon would be extra brilliant here because it will pile extra Dark damage on (and very few people have Dark defence). I used it a lot early in my Hex/Melee build, so I recommend you go for that. It was even pretty good in PvP. When you get hold of a Darknight Stone and can imbue it, it'll buff the Spear's Dark damage even further.

2) Depends on the weapon requirements and whether they have good DEX scaling. If it's the former, just match the stat. If it's the latter and the DEX scaling is S, A or B, pump it to 30-40 (if you want to stick with it, that is).

3) Not sure. Depends on how well armoured you are, whether you use a shield and whether you dodge a lot. As a sorcerer, I'd probably pump a bit into ATN. That ups your spell casting speed, number of spell slots, number of casts and your agility. Get your agility (AGL) to 98-100 for now via ATN or ADP, I reckon.

I missed stormtrooper's post, my apologies.
Thanks a lot for the tips.

Rolled a(nother) faith build, currently rocking the Heide Knight Sword that I've always liked the moveset of. Just now noticing the nerfs to Lightning Spear. Eeesh. ETA on when they're boosting its damage like they promised, at least?

My first playthrough of DSII was a str/faith build, but like many I think I might have relied more on Lightning Spears more than I should have. Turned some of the best bosses in the game like Darklurker into utter cakewalks. It'll be interesting to have another go without that crutch.

This asshole with the red cape in the DLC. I guess because of his armor the Uchigatana is barely doing anything to him, but I swore to play this character as an Honorable Bushido Warrior™.
And my Faith is still too low to use Lightning Spear.

Mistel

Banned
It still has moderately high physical damage modifier when fully upgraded, so it'll still work on her. However, I wouldn't try it past NG.
Even more so if it's infused to gain S scaling. An uninfused one still packs a punch with 370 physical and DD scaling but it's still got to go through two different defenses so it's not a great idea.

TnK

She has higher resistance to dark itself so it will do reduced damage two her.

It still has moderately high physical damage modifier when fully upgraded, so it'll still work on her. However, I wouldn't try it past NG.

Yeah, the damage was really bad. Summoned other people to help me out with her since my sword did almost no damage against her.

Anyways, NG+ beaten in almost 3-4 days. Hooray! In those days, I breezed through most of the areas as well.

Time to play DS1 I guess, only problem is, the game does not have ultra greatswords like in DS2. Maybe the dark knight greatsword, but that is a lucky drop at the start of the game. Only reason I don't really feel like starting DS1

Yeah, the damage was really bad. Summoned other people to help me out with her since my sword did almost no damage against her.

Anyways, NG+ beaten in almost 3-4 days. Hooray! In those days, I breezed through most of the areas as well.

Time to play DS1 I guess, only problem is, the game does not have ultra greatswords like in DS2. Maybe the dark knight greatsword, but that is a lucky drop at the start of the game. Only reason I don't really feel like starting DS1

Zweihander's easily obtainable early on in DS1.

TnK

Zweihander's easily obtainable early on in DS1.

I know, but I actually don't like that sword, lol. I like my ultra greatswords to be both long and large (yeah, yeah I know).

Actually, thinking about it, I breezed through the entire game easily, minus Smelter Demon, Dragon Rider, and that's it really.

Mistel

Banned
We had this same discussion already about how DS1 ultra greatswords have unique movesets for each one of them didn't we?
I know, but I actually don't like that sword, lol. I like my ultra greatswords to be both long and large (yeah, yeah I know).
Get a demon great machete or a greatsword then?

TnK

We had this same discussion already about how DS1 ultra greatswords have unique movesets for each one of them didn't we?

Get a demon great machete or a greatsword then?

Oh yeah, we did. I kinda forgot about that. Guess I will backup a save before the black knight with the greatsword, and keep trying at him until I get it. Demon great machete is also a good candidate.

I said this before, didn't I?

Is it awful that I've played through this game a bunch and never managed to successfully learn the parry timing?

(PC version)

<3

I have 5 characters on PC and I can't really do it in PVE. It's so awkward compared to the first game, and 90% of enemy attacks are incredibly misleading. The Royal Swordsmen are especially bad.

Mistel

Banned
Oh yeah, we did. I kinda forgot about that. Guess I will backup a save before the black knight with the greatsword, and keep trying at him until I get it. Demon great machete is also a good candidate.

I said this before, didn't I?
That pretty much is what you said already yes.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I was pretty good at parrying in DkS 1, but it don't make no sense to me in the sequel. One of those things that makes me wonder why they changed it. I don't even really know what the required timing is in this game.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I have 5 characters on PC and I can't really do it in PVE. It's so awkward compared to the first game, and 90% of enemy attacks are incredibly misleading. The Royal Swordsmen are especially bad.

I was pretty good at parrying in DkS 1, but it don't make no sense to me in the sequel. One of those things that makes me wonder why they changed it. I don't even really know what the required timing is in this game.

I'm working off an assumption, but perhaps you's were like many and tried parrying in the beginning, couldn't parry anything, then said "Oh fuck that then."

I believe parrying is affected by adaptability/agility. If you have a relatively high agility stat, you should try parrying some more and see if you can get the hang of it now.

Top Bottom