• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I'm working off an assumption, but perhaps you's were like many and tried parrying in the beginning, couldn't parry anything, then said "Oh fuck that then."

I believe parrying is affected by adaptability/agility. If you have a relatively high agility stat, you should try parrying some more and see if you can get the hang of it now.

You're not wrong, but it "maybe" being affected by ADP makes me want to try it less. i-frames are way more generous in DkS2 anyway and I've had no problems rolling, I play this game without a shield fine, whereas I'd almost always have a shield equipped in DkS 1.

Ruuppa

You're not wrong, but it "maybe" being affected by ADP makes me want to try it less. i-frames are way more generous in DkS2 anyway and I've had no problems rolling, I play this game without a shield fine, whereas I'd almost always have a shield equipped in DkS 1.

3-Step Parrying Guide to Dark Souls 2:

1. Get a Monastery Scimitar
2. Get an enemy to attack you
3. Parry and riposte

Until they patch it again, that is. Parrying with curved swords is extremely easy, since they don't have the wind-up that other parrying types have. With Monastery Scimitar, it's even easier, with instant parryframes.

I never use parrying in PVE, the risk vs. reward just isn't as good as it was in DkS1. Add to that the fact that most enemies are completely unparryable, so it's hardly ever worth it.

Edit: Rolling iframes are only generous if you've invested in Atn/Adp to get your Agility up. With 100 to 105 Agility you can dodge just about everything with ease (except super-tracking jump-attacks, grr).

Xeroblade

3-Step Parrying Guide to Dark Souls 2:

1. Get a Monastery Scimitar
2. Get an enemy to attack you
3. Parry and riposte

Until they patch it again, that is. Parrying with curved swords is extremely easy, since they don't have the wind-up that other parrying types have. With Monastery Scimitar, it's even easier, with instant parryframes.

I never use parrying in PVE, the risk vs. reward just isn't as good as it was in DkS1. Add to that the fact that most enemies are completely unparryable, so it's hardly ever worth it.

THIS. In the DLC all i used was the Monastery Scimitar, no shield. I parried everything i could in the dlc. Mostly everything can be parried thanks to that. Iron Parma and Target Shield is a good shield to use to parry as well. Its all about timing really. practice on that halberd undead guy right outside of Cardinal Tower bonfire.

Ruuppa

THIS. In the DLC all i used was the Monastery Scimitar, no shield. I parried everything i could in the dlc. Mostly everything can be parried thanks to that. Iron Parma and Target Shield is a good shield to use to parry as well. Its all about timing really. practice on that halberd undead guy right outside of Cardinal Tower bonfire.

Okay, I tell a lie. I do use a Parrying Dagger on a few of my guys. The wind-up is almost completely different from DkS1, so it's still throwing me off, even after 200-ish hours.. So, curved swords!

MonScim is really fun to use in PVP as a bluff: The moment you pull it out, you can immediately see that the other guy get horribly pressured. And when both you and the opponent have them out.. Well then. Spin, spin, spin to win.

Xeroblade

Okay, I tell a lie. I do use a Parrying Dagger on a few of my guys. The wind-up is almost completely different from DkS1, so it's still throwing me off, even after 200-ish hours.. So, curved swords!

MonScim is really fun to use in PVP as a bluff: The moment you pull it out, you can immediately see that the other guy get horribly pressured. And when both you and the opponent have them out.. Well then. Spin, spin, spin to win.

I hate that when you run into someone else that has one because you know it becomes a "hey you! swing first fight". I havent tried the parrying dagger out yet. Don't want to throw off my timing.

Sullichin

Monscim is bullshit in PVP. It'll be patched again.

I do kind of like when I see it though. People like to spam it, and I wind up just waiting for their parry animation to start before I attack, or use unparryable attacks. I wish butcher knife 2HR2 couldn't be parried!

I find setup parries (block first attack and parry second) to be a little easier in PVP in DS2 than 1.

Ruuppa

I take it these people don't know that a monastery scimitar can't parry everything then?

You can still parry 80% of all attacks, so it's still very useful as a deterrent. Curved Greatswords and whips, well. There are other strategies for those.

Monscim is bullshit in PVP. It'll be patched again.

I do kind of like when I see it though. People like to spam it, and I wind up just waiting for their parry animation to start before I attack, or use unparryable attacks. I wish butcher knife 2HR2 couldn't be parried!

I find setup parries (block first attack and parry second) to be a little easier in PVP in DS2 than 1.

Oh it's most definitely bullshit of the highest order. I only whip it out when someone else does it. Relying solely on those OHKO's, whether they're from parries or backstabs, is boring. I prefer footsies and swinging all around the place. Recently made the fun discovery that Pate's Spear has a different 1h attack for sprinting attacks and backdash attacks. I always thought those two were always the same.

zashga

Well, I finished the DLC. The level design is actually quite good... I liked it a lot more than any area in the base game. It's more or less on par with Dark Souls 1, which is high praise indeed. It's fun to play with the mechanisms and find all of the hidden passages and shortcuts. The place looks gorgeous and atmospheric, and I love the twisted, off-kilter entry passageway to the whole zone.

Unfortunately, there's not a lot to actually find down there. The new items are few and uninteresting. I really want to like the
puzzling stone sword
, but it has pretty bad stats and seems to break easily. There's no one at all to talk to down there, unless I missed someone. The only new voice acting I can recall is a couple of one-liners from one of the bosses. There's one inspired enemy type that everyone is gushing about, but aside from that everything is very by the numbers and dull. I hope you like big hollow knights with high poise and slow melee attacks, because that's easily 50% of the enemy count.

Two of the boss battles are straight up bad. Havel and Friends are probably the laziest excuse for a boss in the entire series. They also build on the terrible enemy design from Dragon Shrine: melee enemies with infinite stamina and unpredictable combos so there's never, ever a safe time to attack them. These fights aren't a fun challenge, and there's nothing interesting about them. They just give truth to the lie that Souls games are cheap and unfair.

Elana is also pretty lazy, but I'm less upset about her. At least the dragon was a cool boss fight.

Overall, I'd say this DLC is solidly below Artorias of the Abyss. If the next two chapters are of similar quality, we might end up with three quality areas and three good boss battles between them. That would put us on par with Artorias, albeit at twice the price.

Kevtones

So the DLC from the first game is better than this because this DLC is fucking great. Honestly smitten with the level design and emphasis on puzzles. Super intricate too.

Really love it. Can't wait for the next episodes.

Also, STILL NO ACHIEVEMENTS WTF lol.

Yes, as a DLC feels like the studio in charge of DS2 heard the feedback about the map design issues and tried to return to Dark souls 1 interconnected design but still dont get the right idea some of the zones are a dead trap if you venture and dont follow their idea design. still FROM dont figure out how bosses work and just feels like they did a lazy job on these bosses being reworked models from previous bosses but slow and cheap damage to compensate their dumb intelligence.

Also the comfy bonfires needs to go or punish you to only warp to the initial DLC bonfire.

Kevtones

Yes, as a DLC feels like the studio in charge of DS2 heard the feedback about the map design issues and tried to return to Dark souls 1 interconnected design but still dont get the right idea and still dont figure out how bosses work.

Also from your edit I almost CLEARED Dragon's Sanctum without finding a bonfire. Lol, I feel a little accomplished/stupid.

Haven't reached bosses but I liked the ghosts (their solve).

SL245 and I switched from a beefy DEX build with Havel's to an Alva SPRY with the Flynn ring.

The Flynn Ring is the most underrated item in the DLC. I'm rocking Warped Sword +5 and just slicing up.

2AdEPT

yo gaf...I thought I was being sly by bringing poison arrows to the DLC but obviously FROM beat me to the punch as most enemies are immune to poison it seems....what are the main mobs weakest to? i.e. which arrows are the best? Dark? lightning? fire? magic? bleed?

Ruuppa

yo gaf...I thought I was being sly by bringing poison arrows to the DLC but obviously FROM beat me to the punch as most enemies are immune to poison it seems....what are the main mobs weakest to? i.e. which arrows are the best? Dark? lightning? fire? magic? bleed?

The enemies in the DLC have a variety of defenses, so bringing a variety helps. If you're talking about
Sanctum Soldiers
, they only seem to have poison immunity, and mediocre resists to every other element.

Bleed is pretty damn bad, and you only get 15 of those arrows per playthrough. It also has a cooldown, so it's only useful for gimmicky stuff.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
A Good Dark Souls 2 - Crown of the Sunken King DLC Lore video
Most facts are already known, but it is still an interesting watch.

The Sunken City seems to be disconnected to the outside world, so I am not entirely convinced that poisoning of Black Glutch and Earthern Peak is related in anyway.

Also may be the Sunken King is the
Dragon itself
, poisoned and transformed by his queen. Else why is there a reason for
the crown to appear
, after the
Dragon has been killed

Edit: May be the hunt for the Crowns indicate all the previous heroes of those lands and time before Vendrick, where each one
refused to take the throne

--
Edit 2: Also is it a coincidence that the Rotten and the Sunken City is both related to disease or poison, reminiscence of Nito. May be I was wrong that the Crowns was indication of previous heros before Vendrick, rather they are previous incarnations or last cycles shells of the greater souls when Vendrick defeated them?
Crown of the Sunken King - Reference to Nito (route via/after Black Glutch's Primal bonfire?)
Crown of the Old Iron King - Reference to Gywn (route probably via/after Iron Keep's Primal bonfire?)
Crown of the Ivory King - Reference to Seath the Scaleless (route after Duke Freja's Primal bonfire?)

But my presumption has a hole, what crown is reference to the Last Sinner?
--
Edit 3: Base on the above idea, also the geography reflects some parts of Dark Souls.
.Sunken City - Deep underground
..Where you find Nito (in Dark Souls) - Deep underground

.Old Iron King's Tower - Tower in Black Mist (surrounded by blackness)
..Where you find Gwyn (in Dark Souls) - kiln surrounded by ash

.Ivory King's Temple - Temple in freezing storms and high walls (somewhere high up in the sky)
..Where you find Seath (in Dark Souls)- The Library at the highest point in the game

Why can't I use resins on the Full Moon Sickle? I can use Flame Weapon on it just fine but for some reason resins are greyed out.

Edit: Uninfused, of course.

Ruuppa

Why can't I use resins on the Full Moon Sickle? I can use Flame Weapon on it just fine but for some reason resins are greyed out.

Edit: Uninfused, of course.

Because of the innate Bleed, I guess.

Edit: Which is silly. If I can have a Strong Magic Magic Magic Shield Shield, why can't I have a Bleed-resined weapon with innate bleed? Dangit.

Because of the innate Bleed, I guess.

Edit: Which is silly. If I can have a Strong Magic Magic Magic Shield Shield, why can't I have a Bleed-resined weapon with innate bleed? Dangit.

Very silly! I can use resins on the Falchion but not on the Flamberge or Full Moon Sickle? They all have bleed built in!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Guise, why am I getting destroyed in PVP? Is it just a case of git gud?

Or is it because the Alva set really isn't worth it despite being lightweight? I know it isn't my stats because I fixed them using a Soul Vessel to better fit my playing style and my choice of gear and how stats scale with my weapons.

Or is it because the Alva set really isn't worth it despite being lightweight? I know it isn't my stats because I fixed them using a Soul Vessel to better fit my playing style and my choice of gear and how stats scale with my weapons.

What are your stats and equipment? Just about everything is viable in PVP as long as you take some time to learn the right play style. Also, the Alva set is fantastic and looks excellent, no real need to change that.

UrbanRats

Is it awful that I've played through this game a bunch and never managed to successfully learn the parry timing?

(PC version)

Parry timing seems to be stricter in DkS2, so it's harder to pull them off and, often, useless.
You'll be better off just rolling through the attacks and attack after.

There are instances where parrying is good though, such as PVP or npc invasions.
That is assuming you're not using a shield of course, otherwise blocking may still be better.

The scimitar is a great weapon for parrying, and it's easily attainable (compared to the painted guardian scimitar, which is only a drop in NG+).

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Parry timing seems to be stricter in DkS2, so it's harder to pull them off and, often, useless.
You'll be better off just rolling through the attacks and attack after.

There are instances where parrying is good though, such as PVP or npc invasions.
That is assuming you're not using a shield of course, otherwise blocking may still be better.

The scimitar is a great weapon for parrying, and it's easily attainable (compared to the painted guardian scimitar, which is only a drop in NG+).

Did anyone notice that parrying with a Rapier, appears to degrade its durability faster...

Ruuppa

Did anyone notice that parrying with a Rapier, appears to degrade its durability faster...

Parrying takes a huge chunk out of your weapons durability, like 2-3 units or so? It's most apparent on weapons with low durability to start with, like rapiers and Parrying Knife. You don't notice it much with shields, since their durability is high.
Edit: Or it might be that weaponparries just eat a lot more durability points? I'll need to test it out.

On the subject of parrying, does DkS2 have partial parries, like in DkS1? Like if you *almost* got the parry, you'll take reduced damage and not get staggered? Haven't noticed it myself.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Parrying takes a huge chunk out of your weapons durability, like 2-3 units or so? It's most apparent on weapons with low durability to start with, like rapiers and Parrying Knife. You don't notice it much with shields, since their durability is high.

On the subject of parrying, does DkS2 have partial parries, like in DkS1? Like if you *almost* got the parry, you'll take reduced damage and not get staggered? Haven't noticed it myself.

No.

But I did notice some weird consistency in backstabs with a Giant Warrior Club at the surprise
Trio
fight in the DLC, when I am summoned as a phantom.

Sometimes backstabs does 850+ damage and sometimes 430+ damage, against the same enemy.

Ruuppa

No.

But I did notice some weird consistency in backstabs with a Giant Warrior Club at the surprise
Trio
fight in the DLC, when I am summoned as a phantom.

Sometimes backstabs does 850+ damage and sometimes 430+ damage, against the same enemy.

I think that depends on whether you get the enemy into a backstab during their attack animation or not. Counter hit, etc.

On parries:

Okay, then. Uh. It's NOT the parry that damages your weapon/shield when parrying. It's the frames the weapon/shield spends inside the enemy.

The parry itself seems to do 0 durability damage on your tool, but if it touches the enemy model.. Well.

Try it yourself, I managed to do 4 ticks of durability on my Buckler and Parrying Dagger when I stood right next to an enemy and they clipped the model during the parry-animation without triggering the parry itself.

Edit: For funsies, hug the Emerald Herald and parry her. Watch that durability drop like crazy.

Mistel

Banned
Dragon itself
the crown to appear
, after the
Dragon has been killed
Unlikely as Yorgh killed the
sunken king
himself.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
The parry itself seems to do 0 durability damage on your tool, but if it touches the enemy model.. Well.

Try it yourself, I managed to do 4 ticks of durability on my Buckler and Parrying Dagger when I stood right next to an enemy and they clipped the model during the parry-animation without triggering the parry itself.

Edit: For funsies, hug the Emerald Herald and parry her. Watch that durability drop like crazy.

Waa...that makes no sense, they are calculating the whole enemy model for durability during parry instead of just the enemy weapon swings.

-----
Edit
Unlikely as Yorgh killed the
sunken king
himself.

Thanks I missed that in the Yorgh Spear's description.

So the DLC from the first game is better than this because this DLC is fucking great. Honestly smitten with the level design and emphasis on puzzles. Super intricate too.

Really love it. Can't wait for the next episodes.

Also, STILL NO ACHIEVEMENTS WTF lol.

Artorias of the Abyss gets very high praise and is arguably one of the best DLCs ever. Its level design is ok, but I would say Crown of the Sunken King has it bested in that regard. It comes down to the 4 amazing boss fights (3 of which can arguably sit in the top 5 best Souls bosses of all time) and some really cool lore and fan service additions that put it over the top.

CotSK is still a good chunk of Co tent and worth the time of any souls player. I really enjoyed the puzzles too. Patiently waiting for the next one to drop.

If you're getting owned in PVP it's rarely a case of the armor you're wearing - all the best players I know (I'm sure as hell not one of them) dress for aesthetics more than stats. As a previous poster said though, Alva set is fantastic.

I'm not very good at PVP, either. I just go into every battle fully expecting to lose and sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised. If you're losing significantly more than you're winning (I pull about a 50/50), it could be a case of not having enough vigor. If you're a roller you might not have enough adaptibility? Or it could just be you've chosen a weapon with a moveset that doesn't suit your playstyle.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
What are your stats and equipment? Just about everything is viable in PVP as long as you take some time to learn the right play style. Also, the Alva set is fantastic and looks excellent, no real need to change that.

VGR 8
END 20
VIT 15
ATN 6
STR 27
DEX 45
ADP 25
INT 7
FTH 5

Super low health, but I like to roll and dodge more. Still deal shit damage against some though. Maybe I just need a good non-elemental weapon. Rolls work just as well as I want them to though :)

Ruuppa

VGR 8
END 20
VIT 15
ATN 6
STR 27
DEX 45
ADP 25
INT 7
FTH 5

Super low health, but I like to roll and dodge more. Still deal shit damage against some though. Maybe I just need a good non-elemental weapon. Rolls work just as well as I want them to though :)

That health is not good. Not good at all! You really need to get that up to 40 or 50 if you're a melee guy participating in PVP. Currently you're so squishy, that one hit can take half of that, and considering most weapons have a 2-hit combo you aren't gonna survive far.

Otherwise your stats are fine for a Quality build.

What weapon(s) are you using?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
That health is not good. Not good at all! You really need to get that up to 40 or 50 if you're a melee guy participating in PVP. Currently you're so squishy, that one hit can take half of that, and considering most weapons have a 2-hit combo you aren't gonna survive far.

Otherwise your stats are fine for a Quality build.

What weapon(s) are you using?

:lol. Maybe I should take a few points off STR and DEX so it works with the weapons I use and put some into health.

I use a Lightning Broadsword :(.

Xeroblade

:lol. Maybe I should take a few points off STR and DEX so it works with the weapons I use and put some into health.

Yeah just put enough into STR and DEX to be able to wield the weapons correctly and then pour the points into whatever else you need.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yeah just put enough into STR and DEX to be able to wield the weapons correctly and then pour the points into whatever else you need.

Thinking I should just beat the game as it is, I've been doing fine against bosses and then continue later and start a new character when the third DLC hits and do it all in one big run instead.

Ruuppa

Wouldn't a standard broadsword make better use of your stats?

This, and the Broadsword is more of a Str weapon. You can get better damage output from Longsword, Curved Swords, Thrusting Swords and other such Dexterity/Quality weapons. Unless you love the moveset, the Broadsword is a somewhat.. Subpar weapon. Try a normal Longsword, or the Sun Sword.

Mistel

Banned
This, and the Broadsword is more of a Str weapon. You can get better damage output from Longsword, Curved Swords, Thrusting Swords and other such Dexterity/Quality weapons. Unless you love the moveset, the Broadsword is a somewhat.. Subpar weapon. Try a normal Longsword, or the Sun Sword.
The broadsword is a decent STR weapon if you upgrade it to the max so it gets B scaling whilst unifused. But if you really like its move set and want something that scales with dex better and has a higher base damage you should really get a drakekeeper sword it's got C/C scaling instead of B/D. Not to mention it's probably the largest straightsword by a fair margin too.

A Good Dark Souls 2 - Crown of the Sunken King DLC Lore video
Most facts are already known, but it is still an interesting watch.

Mmmm that was entertaining to watch, but FROM letting vague info about Sulva's Queen origins but were pretty precise to nashandra is bad and lazy tactic just to make the cummunity to speculate she is related to nashandra, she is only a human using her dark soul fragment.

The Sunken City seems to be disconnected to the outside world, so I am not entirely convinced that poisoning of Black Glutch and Earthern Peak is related in anyway.

Yep, you can see the place is pretty underground, close to one abyss chasm. And you can see a Dragon corpse on the Black glutch maybe one of the same nature as
Sinh
?

Dragon itself
the crown to appear
, after the
Dragon has been killed

It could be the king fought the blooddrake leader on the very same room you fought the dragon but still it could be a interesting sidequest to visit the throne room and get the crown also it contradicts Vendrink's speech later about he used the crowns to see the very core of the souls.

Edit: May be the hunt for the Crowns indicate all the previous heroes of those lands and time before Vendrick, where each one
refused to take the throne

I found interesting you can find a Hero soul in this DLC, someone went to this place before you.

--
Edit 2: Also is it a coincidence that the Rotten and the Sunken City is both related to disease or poison, reminiscence of Nito. May be I was wrong that the Crowns was indication of previous heros before Vendrick, rather they are previous incarnations or last cycles shells of the greater souls when Vendrick defeated them?

Welp, Nito represents death not disease and poison, Nito hits you with humanity he harvested from the very bonfires and acelerates the degeneration of living beings with his miasma force.
Lets step back for a minute each one of the kings would represents a great soul for its own but you are not exploring these lands to find their souls but their crowns, why? It would be the crowns have their souls and a pice of the puzzle to finally breack the curse.

Vendrink expands this in the DLC by saying the crowns will show you the answers are you looking for.

Ruuppa

The broadsword is a decent STR weapon if you upgrade it to the max so it gets B scaling whilst unifused. But if you really like its move set and want something that scales with dex better and has a higher base damage you should really get a drakekeeper sword it's got C/C scaling instead of B/D. Not to mention it's probably the largest straightsword by a fair margin too.

The biggest problem that I found in using the Broadsword is the god-awful reach. The two-handed horizontal swipe would be quite good, but it just doesn't reach far enough. Moveset -wise it's a good straight sword (no poke though), but it has tiny reach which is a problem. The Drakekeeper has some actual reach in it, so it's quite good.

Rizzi

Christ, this dlc is fucking terrible.
Yay, I can't wait to fight more swarms of archers, guys that poison you by standing near them, spellcasters and invincible ghosts.

Top Bottom