• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Levyne

Banned
Christ, this dlc is fucking terrible.
Yay, I can't wait to fight more swarms of archers, guys that poison you by standing near them, spellcasters and invincible ghosts.

What's wrong with spell casters?

Also I enjoyed the ghost mechanic.
it makes the first time through the area treacherous but then rewards you for surviving by making further exploration much easier once you've made them corporeal again.

Archers are annoying but there are really not that many in the back 2/3rds of the dlc to my memory.

What's wrong with spell casters?

Also I enjoyed the ghost mechanic.
it makes the first time through the area treacherous buy then rewards you for surviving by making further exploration much easier once you've made them corporeal again.

Archers are annoying but there's really not the many in the back 2/3rds of the dlc to my memory.

Archers just were there to punish you doing the puzzles. no big deal but just freaking annoying same with the ghost dudes until you figure out the corpses room

Haunted

Use cover against archers, don't backstab the noxious soldiers and there's a trick to the ghosts.

The DLC is amazing.

Mistel

Banned
The biggest problem that I found in using the Broadsword is the god-awful reach. The two-handed horizontal swipe would be quite good, but it just doesn't reach far enough. Moveset -wise it's a good straight sword (no poke though), but it has tiny reach which is a problem. The Drakekeeper has some actual reach in it, so it's quite good.
The drakekeeper sword is much more akin to a greatsword like a bastard swors than a typical straightsword I think. Shame it lacks that thrust attack that the drake keepers have when they use it.
The DLC is amazing.
No denying it still has it's issues.

Haunted

A Good Dark Souls 2 - Crown of the Sunken King DLC Lore video
Most facts are already known, but it is still an interesting watch.
It's a great little story.

I wish we would've had some more interaction between the two factions of knights in the Sanctum, those of the worshippers and those of Yorgh. DS2 needs more NPCs/enemies fighting each other. :D

Crown of the Sunken King - Reference to Nito (route via/after Black Glutch's Primal bonfire?)
Crown of the Old Iron King - Reference to Gywn (route probably via/after Iron Keep's Primal bonfire?)
Crown of the Ivory King - Reference to Seath the Scaleless (route after Duke Freja's Primal bonfire?)

But my presumption has a hole, what crown is reference to the Last Sinner?
This is the exact same train of thought I also had, along with the whole "there are three DLC areas announced but four primal bonfires" realisation. :D

I'm guessing each of the DLC areas will be a neat self-contained story,
with the overarching connecting bits being the story of the lost crowns of past kings - tied together by the dialogue with Vendrick himself in the Memory of Vendrick.
But where this is all going exactly seems pretty unclear as of yet.

edit: actually, my biggest problem lore-wise so far was that
the announcement bit of the lost crowns DLC trilogy mentioned that Vendrick was in possession of the three crowns at some point, but he was never mentioned (or has a place, frankly) in the Sunken King's story.

Ruuppa

Kalameet was great, Ancient Dragon was one of the worst boss fights I've ever experienced in any game. Time will tell where this guy ranks.

Kalameet is still in the top 5 of all the best bosses in Souls. Such a dang good and challenging fight, especially solo.
Ancient Dragon is meh-tier. Too much of an OHKO HP-sponge.
Still haven't tried Sinh.

The walk to Ancient Dragon is too long and his damage much too high to really be worthwhile. Not even a fun fight.

What happened to miracles? Just tried Lightning Spear on my character who has 24 Faith and it did barely anything to most enemies. Less than a single hit from Uchigatana +7.

The walk to Ancient Dragon is too long and his damage much too high to really be worthwhile. Not even a fun fight.

What happened to miracles? Just tried Lightning Spear on my character who has 24 Faith and it did barely anything to most enemies. Less than a single hit from Uchigatana +7.

They meant to reduce casting but buff damage in the latest patch, but they actually just reduced both for some reason making the Lightning Spears and Emit Force virtually useless. Hope they fix it soon, just started a new faith build.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Well thats just swell. Why is it always that the weapons with one unique characteristic always end up being the broken ones?

I haven't dipped my toes back into anything PVP since starting anew on PC, was wondering about any changes that might have occurred with Blue Sentinels. Do you still consume a Token of Fidelity when you want to duel, or does it match Bloodbros now where you just need a single Token to duel indefinitely?

Rizzi

Heh, I used a soul vessel and now I'm back to my original character's build. Pure dex build with an uchigatana. I'd farm a blacksteel katana but I'd rather not spend an eternity staring at lava castle again. :p

Mistel

Banned
Heh, I used a soul vessel and now I'm back to my original character's build. Pure dex build with an uchigatana. I'd farm a blacksteel katana but I'd rather not spend an eternity staring at lava castle again. :p
Alonne Captain's at drangelic castle will drop it if you want farm it somewhere else instead.

I only see the black iron katana drops once or you can try your lock on the sol bell

VGR 8
END 20
VIT 15
ATN 6
STR 27
DEX 45
ADP 25
INT 7
FTH 5

Super low health, but I like to roll and dodge more. Still deal shit damage against some though. Maybe I just need a good non-elemental weapon. Rolls work just as well as I want them to though :)

Based on that I'd recommend using a Soul Vessel and switching to something like this:

VGR 24
END 20
VIT 14
ATN 6
STR 40
DEX 16
ADP 26
INT 7
FTH 5

Un-infuse the Broadsword to get the most out of its strength scaling and keep using the Alva set. What rings are you using by the way?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I will continue to recommend that anyone on PC who doesn't want to deal with the terribly bullshit item drop rates should just use cheat engine to get the items they want.

Farming enemies for a super rare drop is not only uselessly time consuming, but it increases your soul memory which pushes you further and further from viable PVP. It's a double boner situation.

I will continue to recommend that anyone on PC who doesn't want to deal with the terribly bullshit item drop rates should just use cheat engine to get the items they want.

Farming enemies for a super rare drop is not only uselessly time consuming, but it increases your soul memory which pushes you further and further from viable PVP. It's a double boner situation.

I agree with this. If it weren't for soul memory and enemy extinction I might tell you to tough it out but From really didn't think those two systems through.

Hypron

Christ, this dlc is fucking terrible.
Yay, I can't wait to fight more swarms of archers, guys that poison you by standing near them, spellcasters and invincible ghosts.

The ghosts are definitely not invincible. I killed them all in my first playthrough with them still being in ghost mode.

ElTopo

Banned
How do I even kill Ancient Dragon when all of his attacks one-shot me?

There's two strategies:

1: you attack him as usual but when he flies into the air you run away, stay near his tail but not so close that he'll land you. Attack him and repeat the process when he flies up.

2: easiest way. You immediately run up to his feet and stay in between his big toe and middle toe, right in between them. When he does his stomp, run to the other foot and wedge yourself between the toes and repeat. He only sometimes goes for AOE attack and once he lands wedge yourself between his toes and do it all again.

_DrMario_

So I've been playing my second char for 2 days now. He's Str/Faith with Lightning Claymore and Shield. I've been kicking ass a lot but I have to say I find Miracles very underwhelming.

Like the HoT miracles are so slow they don't even matter, at least the ones I have right now. The res buff don't really make a difference when I'm fighting a boss. I won't even talk about the spears... So the only ones I'm really interested in are the 2 weapon buff and I get those near the endgame. I like the cure poison one I guess.

It just feels like those 25-30 points in Faith would be better spent in Vigor and Endurance.

Am I missing something here?

So I've been playing my second char for 2 days now. He's Str/Faith with Lightning Claymore and Shield. I've been kicking ass a lot but I have to say I find Miracles very underwhelming.

Like the HoT miracles are so slow they don't even matter, at least the ones I have right now. The res buff don't really make a difference when I'm fighting a boss. I won't even talk about the spears... So the only ones I'm really interested in are the 2 weapon buff and I get those near the endgame. I like the cure poison one I guess.

It just feels like those 25-30 points in Faith would be better spent in Vigor and Endurance.

Am I missing something here?

The sunbros covenant miracle and the blue sentinels miracles are the best for faith classes but after the nerfs you better play a Hexer class or more melee oriented with healing spells

Sami+

So I've gotten to Draingleic Castle - second playthrough. Currently running a Full Havel's Dual Zweihander set (one fire and one lightning). Having a lot of fun with it, though I really need some other form of attack in PvP. I'm way too easy to parry, lol. Might use a Soul Vessel to give myself some INT or something so I can use that orby thing everyone uses.

ElTopo

Banned
Finally using a script that works for Autohotkey. Now I can actually Parry and do the Jump Attack.

Bring on the next 2 DLC!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Based on that I'd recommend using a Soul Vessel and switching to something like this:

VGR 24
END 20
VIT 14
ATN 6
STR 40
DEX 16
ADP 26
INT 7
FTH 5

Un-infuse the Broadsword to get the most out of its strength scaling and keep using the Alva set. What rings are you using by the way?

If I want to use DEX weapons I can pretty much just reverse it with STR right? I've been playing around with the Blacksteel Katana and I dig its moveset. Now to go use an ascetic and grab me another soul vessel I guess :)

Edit: What's up with weapons that have the same letters for scaling having different ATK bonuses anyway? The letters aren't fixed multipliers?

Ruuppa

If I want to use DEX weapons I can pretty much just reverse it with STR right? I've been playing around with the Blacksteel Katana and I dig its moveset. Now to go use an ascetic and grab me another soul vessel I guess :)

Edit: What's up with weapons that have the same letters for scaling having different ATK bonuses anyway? The letters aren't fixed multipliers?

They're more like general indicators. There are like, 3 hidden tiers inside each letter (i.e. A-, A, A+), but the damage difference isn't very big between them.

Dexterity scaling is by and large worse than Strength scaling, with A Strength scaling being about as good as S Dexterity scaling.

Yep, just swap it for the minimum strength you need and then add 40 dex on top. For dex weapons I'd recommend Ring of Blades +2 and Flynn's ring for extra damage.

Mistel

Banned
Should I infuse my uchigatana at all? I've never really bothered with that stuff before.
It's going to make it go through multiple defenses which will make it weaker than it already is. Depending on resistances of course.
So I've gotten to Draingleic Castle - second playthrough. Currently running a Full Havel's Dual Zweihander set (one fire and one lightning). Having a lot of fun with it, though I really need some other form of attack in PvP. I'm way too easy to parry, lol.
You could just two hand one of them and use the attacks that can't be parried R1, R2, and the jumping attack.

Top Bottom