• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

ElTopo

Banned
Dragon Shrine was epic. Literally. Fighting up those stairs to get to Ancient Dragon was fucking amazing.

Also, I realized I had Havel's Greatshield and after getting my ass handed in PVP against Magic Users I noticed how good Havel's Shield was against Magic. Extremely high stats and I still have my 100% physical defenses. Even with my 42 VIT my equip load is at 71% which is pretty good. I might grind a bit more in PVP to get it to 68-69%.

pronk420

So is it possible to do the dlc without having finished the game? I guess it's aimed at people who have finished it?

I made it as far as earthen peek and that forest after the misty bit, and am almost at the entrance do the dlc

ElTopo

Banned
So is it possible to do the dlc without having finished the game? I guess it's aimed at people who have finished it?

I made it as far as earthen peek and that forest after the misty bit, and am almost at the entrance do the dlc

So long as you've defeated The Rotten then you can access it.

chunk3rvd

Just respecced my faith build following the nerfs to a 30/30 hexer. Currently have 16 STR and 16 DEX. Any suggestions on a good weapon I could be using? Had a fire Longsword +10 from my faith build that works ok with my new stats but looking for something a little more fun. Also switched my lightning longbow +9 to fire and got some fire arrows off Ornifex and I'm pleasantly surprised with the damage they do (400+ on the statues outside Looking Glass Knight)

Also, what staff should I be looking for? Currently have a sunset staff +4

Just beat the Looking Glass Knight for the first time so that should indicate what I have available to me right now

Ruuppa

Sorry I guess I worded that badly, I meant would the enemies be too strong given I'm probably not as high level as someone who has finished the game? I think I'm 70 something

70 is enough, as long as you have quite a bit of experience in the game or the prequels under your belt. But if it's your first time through the game, don't go to DLC until you've beaten the final boss.

Just respecced my faith build following the nerfs to a 30/30 hexer. Currently have 16 STR and 16 DEX. Any suggestions on a good weapon I could be using? Had a fire Longsword +10 from my faith build that works ok with my new stats but looking for something a little more fun. Also switched my lightning longbow +9 to fire and got some fire arrows off Ornifex and I'm pleasantly surprised with the damage they do (400+ on the statues outside Looking Glass Knight)

Also, what staff should I be looking for? Currently have a sunset staff +4

Just beat the Looking Glass Knight for the first time so that should indicate what I have available to me right now

There are many Reaper -class weapons that are theme-appropriate for Hexers, Silverblack Sickle being one of the better ones because of the dark damage. You're a bit away from that weapon though. Whips are always fun and comparatively lightweight, but fragile and they lack in raw power.

Sunset Staff is good, but you should have Caitha's Chime now, which is one of the best Hex-tools in the game.
Edit: Forgot that different Hexes need different catalysts. Sunset + Caitha should carry you through the game extremely well.

ElTopo

Banned
Sorry I guess I worded that badly, I meant would the enemies be too strong given I'm probably not as high level as someone who has finished the game? I think I'm 70 something

You should be fine.

Invest in arrows before you head out though.

Have there been any rumblings as to what From/Namco have been doing with Dark Souls 1 and ripping out GFWL?

I'm hoping they go the extra mile and incorporate the fixes provided by DSFix and DSMousefix.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yep, just swap it for the minimum strength you need and then add 40 dex on top. For dex weapons I'd recommend Ring of Blades +2 and Flynn's ring for extra damage.

Went with STR and embraced my Drangleic Sword again. (Love dat stab). It's kinda funny, there's not that much of a HP difference numbers wise but I can take way more hits now. Thanks for the advice, feel like I can keep this sucker for NG+ now :)

Edit: How can I run into dudes in PVP who have the ring that makes weapons invisible? D:

Ruuppa

Edit: How can I run into dudes in PVP who have the ring that makes weapons invisible? D:

There's a good chance that they're using Collector's Edition to dupe them in. Most players I've met in PVP who use them really didn't have the skills to have ever gotten them legit. They might be using the spell as well, but I've never met a player who uses it.

Mistel

Banned
Went with STR and embraced my Drangleic Sword again. (Love dat stab). It's kinda funny, there's not that much of a HP difference numbers wise but I can take way more hits now. Thanks for the advice, feel like I can keep this sucker for NG+ now :)
Hate to rain on your parade but the Drangleic sword scales A with Dex and only C with STR. If your going with STR a mastodon greatsword or a claymore might be better suited for your build.

NEO0MJ

Took a little break so I could play other games but now I'm back. Current character build.

14787846836_5d324b7dd2_o.jpg

Those Imperious Knights were onto something, bashing enemies with shields is awesome.

Anyways, I heard that
you can enter Vendrick's memories using the Ashen Mist Heart, how and when can we do that?

neoism

You should be fine.

Invest in arrows before you head out though.

Have there been any rumblings as to what From/Namco have been doing with Dark Souls 1 and ripping out GFWL?

I'm hoping they go the extra mile and incorporate the fixes provided by DSFix and DSMousefix.
Yeah I'm waiting for this after loving ds2 sooo much I'd love to go back but fuck GWFL makes it run like shit on my PC :/

Anyways, I heard that
you can enter Vendrick's memories using the Ashen Mist Heart, how and when can we do that?

In the undead crypt where you can see his armor laying on the floor, dunno if you need to defeat him to talk to him.

But his dialogue changes when you get his crown and later when you get the sunken king crown.

Soulhouf

Flynn's ring is fantastic for me since I never waste points into vitality.
That + the recent physical weapons buff increased my attack rate significantly.

Rizzi

Well, last boss beaten. That's my PC first run done. I'll have to keep working on this stupid dragon though. Can't let the bastard beat me.

Don't you need the A
shen Mist Heart
too? Or is that just to
access Vendrick's memory?

Just for vendrink, DLC 1 is supposed to be after the end game but meeting vendrink is after meeting the ancient dragon, beat the game and get the crown, meet him again, go to the DLC, meet him again.

repeat with DLC 2 and 3?

If you can get your Fire defense to over 900, you'll be immune to all his breath attacks.

Thats just sad, really?

So decided to use the int side of hexes. Have a fully upgraded Dark Sunset Staff and I have about 50 Dark Orbs that do 520 damage each to the Alonne Knights.

God damn why didn't I try hexes before?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Hate to rain on your parade but the Drangleic sword scales A with Dex and only C with STR. If your going with STR a mastodon greatsword or a claymore might be better suited for your build.

Well shit. Yeah. I really like the moveset though, that R2 stab is so handy. Mastodon Greatsword is all kinds of crazy at +10 though, god damn. Hopefully I won't give you any more reasons to rain on my parade, the visitors forgot to bring umbrellas ;O

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
In the undead crypt where you can see his armor laying on the floor, dunno if you need to defeat him to talk to him.

But his dialogue changes when you get his crown and later when you get the sunken king crown.

Huh? I never made that post (._. )

Anyway more unused / possible future DLC / NPC spell stuff.

http://a.pomf.se/yhfvxa dot webm

http://a.pomf.se/mbalka dot webm

http://a.pomf.se/bqqvsd dot webm

http://a.pomf.se/wzacak dot webm

http://a.pomf.se/qpkroz dot webm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETzHambTWT4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG6u1mH9NXo

Ugh, getting the Monastary Scimitar is driving me crazy. Bonfire asceticed in Aldia's Keep, kill the red phantom, and no drop. Go back to the bonfire to try again...and I've got to beat the Guardian Dragon to do it again?!?!?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Noooo. I still can't beat this dumb old dragon.
Stupid fire.
Try to survive it. Cast Flash Sweat and recast as often as possible (use small orange burr when you run out of casts, or amber herbs to refill) if your HP and fire def is too low.

I literally get hit at least once every time I fight him (except with my strength, which uses the Gyrm Greatshield during this fight) even when I get pretty good at avoiding it, so it's a lifesaver.

Mistel

Banned
Well shit. Yeah. I really like the moveset though, that R2 stab is so handy. Mastodon Greatsword is all kinds of crazy at +10 though, god damn. Hopefully I won't give you any more reasons to rain on my parade, the visitors forgot to bring umbrellas ;O
That's not the only greatsword with thrust attacks several of them do have them black dragon great sword for example.
Wait.. Phantoms drop shit?
A majority of them will drop equipment some of it is even upgraded instead of default depending on the phantom.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

That second one is from Dark Souls.

artorias_smash_by_aloo81-d7tfdfj.gif

Huh? I never made that post (._. )

Anyway more unused / possible future DLC / NPC spell stuff.

Also in regards to these, could you not post any of this until after the DLC is released, or at least put it behind spoilers or something in a way that it isn't embedded in the page?

If this stuff is going to be part of the DLC I don't want it spoiled for me now, and I'm sure others feel simlarly. The cool crazy chain sword was an awesome surprise to find. I wouldn't want moments like that spoiled in the future.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
T

Also in regards to these, could you not post any of this until after the DLC is released, or at least put it behind spoilers or something in a way that it isn't embedded in the page?

If this stuff is going to be part of the DLC I don't want it spoiled for me now, and I'm sure others feel simlarly. The cool crazy chain sword was an awesome surprise to find. I wouldn't want moments like that spoiled in the future.

Unused attack animations are spoilers now? Well, ok fair enough I guess.

Sullichin

That second one is from Dark Souls.

artorias_smash_by_aloo81-d7tfdfj.gif

They're just links to the webms, they aren't embedded

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Some people have extensions that auto-embed webms.

Of course, there's no actual way to stop a webm from being automatically embedded by a plugin so...

Mistel

Banned
They're links the only thing that is embedded is the youtube videos if you are on mobile gaf. Ponpo also says that they are possible future content as well.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I actually have webms auto embedded as well :v

Anyway I'll just break the links I guess, no big deal.

Top Bottom