• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Mistel

Banned
Rocking that old faithful claymore again, awesome!
Providing that you can shoulder the burden of its increased weight a lightning mastodon would be superior in respects to the damage. You would get 210/210 with B/E/B scaling compared to 203/203 with C/D/B scaling with the claymore. You would only need 6 more STR to be able to single hand it to do so.

Xeroblade

Fucking spears, I swear to god there is a bubble of damage around the opponent every time they attack with one. I need to roll twice just to make sure I dodge any of the hits, simply being behind my opponent as they jab forward isn't good enough it seems -_-

Edit: Caught this truly sweet 180-to-midair-death trick on the bridge

http://a.pomf.se/kirhvl.webm

can i ask what you use to capture? are your stuff just seems more smooth than mine.

Xeroblade

They're just capturing at a solid 60fps. It'll benefit you a lot in terms of good looking video.

I thought as much but it just looked so damn smooth lol. I only capture in 30fps because of youtube. Now that they allow 60fps, i may try it but just didnt want that to take up space on my hdd.

I thought as much but it just looked so damn smooth lol. I only capture in 30fps because of youtube. Now that they allow 60fps, i may try it but just didnt want that to take up space on my hdd.

Just delete em after you upload them. Or use a cloud storage, there's a few that give 100GB of storage, should be plenty.

I haven't even made it out of the first area, I am trying to edit my vids for viewers and it takes a tonne of time....I liked how my last one turned out though, I was blind but somehow stumbled into how to find the first bonfire...(which apparently a lot of people miss so hopefully there are some that can benefit form watching...even if they already beat the "trio" etc..)
Well, what you can do is capture all the footage of your playthrough, then edit it and upload them like once a week, then use that week to edit the other ones.

SoldnerKei

thanks for the tips on
Vendrick
guys, I was able to withstand his blows in NG with a Dragonknight's Shield, and yeah I think it was the most time consuming fight in the whole game, I will fight him almost naked, at least I will be able to have better mobility, but that it'll be once I get the item

also it freaked me out to see the
Emerald Herald
at the door after I got the ring, I guess I missed that out in NG

thanks for the tips on
Vendrick
guys, I was able to withstand his blows in NG with a Dragonknight's Shield, and yeah I think it was the most time consuming fight in the whole game, I will fight him almost naked, at least I will be able to have better mobility, but that it'll be once I get the item

Emerald Herald

Using 6 Sunlight Spears, and a few GLS, Dragon Chime, and 50 FTH he's so easy. I killed him on NG++ in a couple minutes with that heh.

SoldnerKei

Using 6 Sunlight Spears, and a few GLS, Dragon Chime, and 50 FTH he's so easy. I killed him on NG++ in a couple minutes with that heh.

good, I have been lvling up FTH lately, by the time I get back I guess I'll will have enough FTH to spear him up, sticking to his left foot sucks, he is smelly

Mistel

Banned
thanks for the tips on
Vendrick

Emerald Herald
Stick to his backside and just circle strafe him. As long as he doesn't leap back and sandwich you you're pretty much safe. Dark isn't every effective he's immune to poison also so bare that in mind. As you have done it once I assume you know about the giant souls?

SoldnerKei

Stick to his backside and just circle strafe him. As long as he doesn't leap back and sandwich you you're pretty much safe. Dark isn't every effective he's immune to poison also so bare that in mind. As you have done it once I assume you know about the giant souls?

yup, I still have the souls from NG, I guess they work just fine, and yeah that's the way I killed him back then, sticking to his back/left foot, it's just that I wasn't expecting him to hit that hard in NG+ lol

also I didn't try again because I just want to see the DLC memory xD so without the item is pretty much pointless killing him now, thou I'll have to, eventually

thanks for the tips on
Vendrick

Emerald Herald

She appears again in the
drangelic castle bridge
and after opening the last
King door
too in case you missed her.

Wanted to vent some frustration at the ancient dragon fight. What a load of bullshit. Can't seem to escape that fire AOE attack whatever I try. And I've been trying all damn evening. Very first time that a Dark Souls boss seems unfair to me.

You can run to the opposite side when he do that and then run close to him, repeat, is really a simple battle boss but annoying since it can one shot kill you

Wanted to vent some frustration at the ancient dragon fight. What a load of bullshit. Can't seem to escape that fire AOE attack whatever I try. And I've been trying all damn evening. Very first time that a Dark Souls boss seems unfair to me.

Sullichin

I just don't even bother.

It's profoundly unfair and broken, but it can be beaten with at least some reliability by promoting certain actions in the dragon. I'm fond of the "stand mid-range to his left, attack his forearm when he breathes fire while grounded, run to edge of arena when he flies up" strategy, but even that's probably gonna take you a few tries. The enemies on the way are the worst part. I hate that area so, so much.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Easy as hell, as long as you know not be greedy (save stamina for a long sprint). Everytime he's about to fly up, just follow the tail and its shadow at all time and keep running at the tails direction.

It can become a problem when he's near the edge of the map, so follow the obvious pattern. If you stand on his left, you'll make him move to the right. If you stand on his right, you'll force him to move to the left. Abuse this and try to always position him in the middle of the map.

Completely fair fight.

She appears again in the
drangelic castle bridge
King door

You can run to the opposite side when he do that and then run close to him, repeat, is really a simple battle boss but annoying since it can one shot kill you

I just don't even bother.

It's profoundly unfair and broken, but it can be beaten with at least some reliability by promoting certain actions in the dragon. I'm fond of the "stand mid-range to his left, attack his forearm when he breathes fire while grounded, run to edge of arena when he flies up" strategy, but even that's probably gonna take you a few tries. The enemies on the way are the worst part. I hate that area so, so much.

Thanks for the support :).

I did it though. Felt a bit like an exploit, but if you keep standing in between his toes, the fire attack didn't trigger. But this worked only when I tried it solo. Interference from the other players did cause him to fly up. Anyway, fuck that dragon.

/edit: 'easy as hell', haha, you're a funny guy Yoshi.

SoldnerKei

She appears again in the
drangelic castle bridge
King door

yeah, she is quite visible those occasions, I guess I missed her because I attacked
Vendrick
without looking back, I guess fog door blocked her out... I freaked out because there's just something standind there, then I realized it was her, I felt like I was in silent hill for a second lol

yeah, she is quite visible those occasions, I guess I missed her because I attacked
Vendrick
without looking back, I guess fog door blocked her out... I freaked out because there's just something standind there, then I realized it was her, I felt like I was in silent hill for a second lol

I was scared too, she just appears there, standing.

Blinck

So...is lightning spear completely useless now?
I just made a faith character and the uses and damage are ridiculous.
I know it was the most recent patch...but why this change? It's just so stupid now. I wanted to make a damage with the "faith" part of my build but I guess I'll just fill my slots with support miracles now since these others seem pretty useless.

I know it was the most recent patch...but why this change? It's just so stupid now. I wanted to make a damage with the "faith" part of my build but I guess I'll just fill my slots with support miracles now since these others seem pretty useless.

The uses reduction was intended and probably needed quite frankly, but the damage nerf was not intended. Damage was actually supposed to scale better with lightning bonus but that didn't happen. Once they get it sorted out Lightning would still be viable, just need to devote more attunement slots or carry more herbs.

It was overpowered as an early spell, 13 uses, fast casting and an insane damage made the game pretty unfair for pvp and pve compared to the other classes. Now it feels like an hybrid class rather that just spamm LS

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Beaten him three NG's in a row without dying... that is what I consider "easy" :)

Holiday

Banned
I just hosted my first fight club. It was blast. I even laughed when some guy griefed and blasted me off of the bridge.

Is it possible to summon more than 3 red phantoms at once?

Mistel

Banned
Suggest some Shield piercing weapons which are good for PvP.
Lucerne is good the strong attack pierces shields it's a STR weapon too.A shotel is alright and has piercing too as long as you like the moveset of course. Power stancing a pair and spamming the strong attack might be the most effective way of using them.

PranooY

Lucerne is good the strong attack pierces shields it's a STR weapon too.A shotel is alright and has piercing too as long as you like the moveset of course. Power stancing a pair and spamming the strong attack might be the most effective way of using them.
Will check it out. Being using mail breaker for a while, its good.
Thinking abt upgrading Darkdrift or the mail breaker or will do Lucerne, if I like it. Is Lucerne a fast weapon? Coz all my weapons are slower strength weapon. So I need a faster one.

v1perz53

Honestly I did a faith build playthrough of NG after the nerf followed by a non-faith playthrough, and lightning spear faith was still far superior to other builds. Spear damage and uses was nerfed, sure, but still some key bosses die very quickly to lightning including Vendrick, Nashandra, and Darklurker, all dying in around 7 greater spears post nerf. Darklurker specifically is an absolute joke with lightning spears, and quite a challenge with pure melee.

You can offset the casts nerf through attunement, wearing the saint's hood (gives one more cast of each spell, stacks with multiple copies of a spell attuned), and equipping multiple copies of the same spell. With 3 casts of greater lightning spear and saint's hood, you get 12 casts which is more than enough, and you want that much attunement anyway for cast speed.

Sorceries or hexes might be equally good but I don't know, never used either of those. But I do know faith lightning build post nerf feels much stronger than a pyro build or a pure melee dex or str build.

Joei

Just started playing and am wondering where I should go with my build. In DeS and DS, I'm a huge fan of DEX builds and have had the most fun going those routes with Ichi's and Falchion weapons, but I think I remember reading a while ago that DEX builds in this game were harder to do for some reason. Are there more STR weapons earlier or something or do good DEX weapons not show up till later? I've done STR builds in the first two games as well and don't like the weapons very much to be honest.

And for a reference point, I'm like, right at the beginning. Got to Majula and have went down a few different paths to explore but haven't done anything major yet.

I have only tried farming twice. Once for the shadow set/dagger. Now I am trying for the monastery scimitar. Man this is impossible. All I have gotten is 2 pairs of monastery gloves. I just want to see the fascination with this weapon damnit!

Edit: Intensity at 11

zewone

I have only tried farming twice. Once for the shadow set/dagger. Now I am trying for the monastery scimitar. Man this is impossible. All I have gotten is 2 pairs of monastery gloves. I just want to see the fascination with this weapon damnit!

Edit: Intensity at 11
Took me about 30 tries to get it to drop and I still suck a parries.

What I hate about the farming in this game is that most enemies can drop like 4-8 different items, so getting the one you want is a total crapshoot.

Take the Archdrake Knights in the Shrine of Amana for instance, everyone farms them for the Twinkling titanite but they also drop all this other shit:

- Archdrake Helm
- Archdrake Robes
- Archdrake Gloves
- Archdrake Boots
- Archdrake Mace
- Slumbering Dragon Shield
- Old Radiant Lifegem

And those stupid horse statues before the Looking Glass Knight. All I wanted was the Llewellyn set but instead I got four sets of the gloves and about a dozen Stone Parma shields.

gogosox82

Just started playing and am wondering where I should go with my build. In DeS and DS, I'm a huge fan of DEX builds and have had the most fun going those routes with Ichi's and Falchion weapons, but I think I remember reading a while ago that DEX builds in this game were harder to do for some reason. Are there more STR weapons earlier or something or do good DEX weapons not show up till later? I've done STR builds in the first two games as well and don't like the weapons very much to be honest.

And for a reference point, I'm like, right at the beginning. Got to Majula and have went down a few different paths to explore but haven't done anything major yet.

Not really. There a bunch of early game weapons that scale with dex and str than you can try out but you won't be able to get zwei or an uchi early like you could in ds1. Dex builds can be harder b/c you have to level agility to get good i frames and the scaling always seemed a little off on dex builds but you can still get good damage out of a dex build. My first run was a dex build and I had a lot of fun once I got a good dex weapon.

What I hate about the farming in this game is that most enemies can drop like 4-8 different items, so getting the one you want is a total crapshoot.

Take the Archdrake Knights in the Shrine of Amana for instance, everyone farms them for the Twinkling titanite but they also drop all this other shit:

- Archdrake Helm
- Archdrake Robes
- Archdrake Gloves
- Archdrake Boots
- Archdrake Mace
- Old Radiant Lifegem

And those stupid horse statues before the Looking Glass Knight. All I wanted was the Llewellyn set but instead I got four sets of the gloves and about a dozen Stone Parma shields.

Don't remind me, I have farmed out those stone knights through ng++ and have yet to get the Llewellyn Leggings to drop. It is infuriating to come up fruitless every time.

- Archdrake Helm
- Archdrake Robes
- Archdrake Gloves
- Archdrake Boots
- Archdrake Mace
- Old Radiant Lifegem

I miss the find the corpse with the armor set but instead you have to grind and ascetic the area.

I beat him once by baiting his horizontal fire attack, then going and hitting him a few times. Then ran back to the brown part of the circle and waited for him to put his neck down and be about to leap, then ran back to the fog gate. I just kept doing that and killed him. However, seems like in NG+ his move set is whack and after the third or so time, he jumps and flies forward causing me to be in the AoE ;~;.

2AdEPT

It's profoundly unfair and broken, but it can be beaten with at least some reliability by promoting certain actions in the dragon.

Thanks for the support :).

I did it though. Felt a bit like an exploit, but if you keep standing in between his toes, the fire attack didn't trigger.

Not sure its an exploit to rape the AI on that boss...pretty sure that's what FROM was going for...if you thought you felt cheap, you prolly wont like my winning strat?!!???! LOL. ONe of my fav occurrences in my LP was when my Darkdrift almost breaks so I go to the rapier in the left hand to finish him off! Use the hotlinks in the description to link to the boss fight.

gogosox82

Easy as hell, as long as you know not be greedy (save stamina for a long sprint). Everytime he's about to fly up, just follow the tail and its shadow at all time and keep running at the tails direction.

It can become a problem when he's near the edge of the map, so follow the obvious pattern. If you stand on his left, you'll make him move to the right. If you stand on his right, you'll force him to move to the left. Abuse this and try to always position him in the middle of the map.

Completely fair fight.

How is it fair that every attack he has basically one shots you? And sometimes the tail strategy doesn't work b/c the aoe on the flame attack has a bad hitbox and will hit you (and one shot you) if you are anywhere in the vicinity of the flames. That is what people mean when they say the boss is cheap. You can be killed in one attack and sometimes the attack doesn't even hit you.

Best strategy I've found is just to stand underneath his two hind legs. You can bait that flame attack (which is much easier to dodge) and you can get him into a loop of just using the stomp attack (but you have to be careful b/c that has an aoe on it too and if your caught in it, its basically a one shot) which is pretty easy to dodge. I got him down to half health before he even did his aoe flame attack.

Edit: Watch the poster's video above (fight starts at 7:00). The tail strategy is likely to get you killed because you are attacking and sometimes you don't have enough stamina to escape the flame animation and effects but this one you will actually kill the dragon with minimal effort.

Mistel

Banned

DEX builds are harder because of how bad scaling is. There's several decent DEX weapons very early on available to you, but katanas aren't available till much later.

PranooY

Spider fang is just the worst.
Bought it for PvP for its strong attack which reduces enemy speed. But didn't realize that I can only do 3 strong attacks.
:(
Got some backstabs due to this tho.

Spider fang is just the worst.
Bought it for PvP for its strong attack which reduces enemy speed. But didn't realize that I can only do 3 strong attacks.
:(
Got some backstabs due to this tho.

Can you get another one out of wearing Bracing Knuckle Ring? Just a thought.

Yoshichan

Edit: Watch the poster's video above (fight starts at 7:00). The tail strategy is likely to get you killed because you are attacking and sometimes you don't have enough stamina to escape the flame animation and effects but this one you will actually kill the dragon with minimal effort.
Really? Not enough stamina to escape? Are you playing Dynasty Warriors or something? Don't be greedy, hit the dragon once or maybe twice if you've got great timing going on and then prepare for him to fly up.

"How is getting 1-shot fair". In my world, getting hit in ANY Souls game should be considered a death. You're not supposed to get hit, ever. It's one of the reasons why I never level up my health in any of the Souls game.

v1perz53

People actually have trouble with ancient dragon? I killed it on my third try having not even known it was a boss, or known any of its abilities. Seemed like a pretty standard Souls boss of "thing flies into the air, run straight away to not get hit, come back and hit it twice" deal, just like Kalameet in DS1. I just ran straight back to the door and I never got hit by the fire, didn't try to specifically position myself or run to a tail or shadow or anything. And I hardly had max Vigor and in my unsuccessful tries none of the attacks killed me in one hit except the frontal cone breath, which was still two hits but knocked me down so I had no chance of living.

Ruuppa

Dang. Just finished the DLC (well, a couple of times, helped a friend through), and the bosses were nice.

The
ganksquad
was the best one for me; Just the right amount of difficulty for a player using summons. Probably horrible without them..
The area before them was absolute pain though.
All three of them were much better balanced versus ranged attacks. Most of the time I had to keep vary about ranged attacks, even on my mage.

3½ out of 5, I think. If the latter DLCs are anything like this, it's gonna be good times ahead.

Hypron

People actually have trouble with ancient dragon? I killed it on my third try having not even known it was a boss, or known any of its abilities. Seemed like a pretty standard Souls boss of "thing flies into the air, run straight away to not get hit, come back and hit it twice" deal, just like Kalameet in DS1. I just ran straight back to the door and I never got hit by the fire, didn't try to specifically position myself or run to a tail or shadow or anything. And I hardly had max Vigor and in my unsuccessful tries none of the attacks killed me in one hit except the frontal cone breath, which was still two hits but knocked me down so I had no chance of living.

Yeah he's definitely not that bad. Killed him on my second try by just tanking everything with a big shield.

ElTopo

Banned
Dang. Just finished the DLC (well, a couple of times, helped a friend through), and the bosses were nice.

The
ganksquad
was the best one for me; Just the right amount of difficulty for a player using summons. Probably horrible without them..
The area before them was absolute pain though.

You can rush right to them. It's just that last section before the boss door (with those giant worm things from the wall) where you have to slow down and kill the minions before entering.

Top Bottom