• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Do the crystal lizards in Aerie always drop the same loot or is it random? I used an Ascetic to farm more Petrified Dragon Bones but only got 3 to drop, I could have sworn I got much more on previous runs.

Mistel

Banned
Damn..

Fellas, please suggest some awesome strength only weapons with cool movesets.
I already love Butcher Knife and Demon Hammer, btw.
Mastodon greatsword, Archdrake mace, drake keeper ultra greatsword, and the gyrm greataxe.

Because it ended up pretty much at the bottom of the page Crown of the Iron king DLC information:
It works like the previous DLC with a portal from the old iron kings primal bonfire. Those without the dlc will be able to be summoned to a harder most likely optional area.

Spoilers obviously.

I tried out dual poison Claws and found that I just ended up killing people before the poison would kick in about 90% of the time. Claws/fist weapons are stupidly effective though... I might go back to them at some point.

Mistel

Banned
Do the crystal lizards in Aerie always drop the same loot or is it random? I used an Ascetic to farm more Petrified Dragon Bones but only got 3 to drop, I could have sworn I got much more on previous runs.
Their drops are always the same you get a total of 4 in the Aerie from Crystal lizards in Aerie.

zewone

I tried out dual poison Claws and found that I just ended up killing people before the poison would kick in about 90% of the time. Claws/fist weapons are stupidly effective though... I might go back to them at some point.

Only poison items I ever found effective are Spotted Whips and poison arrows.

Otherwise, it's like you said, you'll kill them before poison even kicks in, and in that case, it would be better to infuse with something that gives the weapons more upfront damage.

PranooY

Wow, Just completed a good grinding session.
Bought jester's hat and beat Gargoyles (used bonfire ascetic for bonfire power 2) for Covetous Gold ring +2. Within 5 minutes in Dragon Shrine, I got both Drakekeeper's shield, and Drake Keepers Ultra great sword. Also got Blacksteel Katana on the way, coming back from Jester hat purchase.

Q: Drakekeeper great axe or Drake Ultrasword for STR-50, Dex-20 and no int, faith?

Pooya

DLC again:

holy shit at this boss fight.
After all this time just seeing Havel rushing still scares me, shiiiit. The one who consistently kills me is the other guy though, he's so fast and bleeding fffff

gotta cheese this out. hmm

ElTopo

Banned
DLC again:

holy shit at this boss fight.
The one who consistently kills me is the other guy though, he's so fast and bleeding fffff

gotta cheese this out. hmm

Most annoyingly, if he whiffs his guard crush he instantly recovers and does 2-3 hit combo.

PranooY

Can someone explain the logic behind the shape, colour of various souls? I mean great souls (iron king, ancient dragon) is big orange coloured and ordinary ones are light yellow with sparkly bits.
Why does Velstad have a black soul similar to Elana?

And are we sure the one being summoned by Elana is Velstad, not the rebel Raime (who is supposed to be best buds with Velstad)? Or Is it Velstad who is doing the bidding of Nashandra (and Elana) and guarding the king until one she deem worthy comes for the King's Ring (or to let only those who beat him get the ring) and he conspired with Nashandra to brand Good guy Raime- a traitor?

Can someone explain the logic behind the shape, colour of various souls? I mean great souls (iron king, ancient dragon) is big orange coloured and ordinary ones are light yellow with sparkly bits.

And are we sure the one being summoned by Elana is Velstad, not the rebel Raime (who is supposed to be best buds with Velstad)? Or Is it Velstad who is doing the bidding of Nashandra (and Elana) and guarding the king until one she deem worthy comes for the King's Ring (or to let only those who beat him get the ring) and he conspired with Nashandra to brand Good guy Raime- a traitor?

Yes, DS2 put new types of great souls outside the standart yellow/white ones

Orange souls are from the Giants of being formed using a Giant soul
Purple souls are from great souls being influenced for the dark or finally using their dark soul nature, hence being a dark soul.

About Elana summons are mostly related to the dark or being dark in nature (Velstad,the squeletons and the pigs). Velstad was impregnated by the dark for being too much in the undead crypt (a great source of dark) so he was mostly a perfect candidate for being summoned but since all her summons are reused assets from the game I dont overthink that aspect too much. Still, Sinh was supossed to be a corrupted soul by Elana manipulation on him but since Yorgh made him expels his poison. his soul returned to be a great soul.

Mistel

Banned

Souls get bigger and more glowy as the become more powerful so a more powerful soul is larger and stuff.

First of all the summon by Elana is Velstad as they use the sacred charm hammer that belongs soley to him. Second of all we don't know what Raime looks like at all so that's kinda blown that out of the water. The most likely reason souls are black is when they've become corrupted by dark/abyss so it gives them that coloration. Hence why Veldstad, Nashandra, etc. Have that coloration for their souls.

Guevara

I've been away from the game for a little while. Coming back to it, seems like lightning was nerfed to death?

Is there a good summary of what was buffed/nerfed?

PranooY

I've used Bonfire ascetic at Belfry Luna (for Covetous Gold Ring +2) and Undead ditch (for Royal Soldier Ring +2).
At Belfry Luna, does this mean that I wud have to deal with invaders with higher Soul memory than what used to be?
At Undead ditch, I noticed the increase in number of summon signs near bonfire after I used ascetic(compared to none earlier). Does it mean I'm summoning people of NG+ to my NG game or my summoning range increased?

I've used Bonfire ascetic at Belfry Luna (for Covetous Gold Ring +2) and Undead ditch (for Royal Soldier Ring +2).
At Belfry Luna, does this mean that I wud have to deal with invaders with higher Soul memory than what used to be?
At Undead ditch, I noticed the increase in number of summon signs near bonfire after I used ascetic(compared to none earlier). Does it mean I'm summoning people of NG+ to my NG game or my summoning range increased?

1.- Yup
2.- Yup

I've been away from the game for a little while. Coming back to it, seems like lightning was nerfed to death?

Is there a good summary of what was buffed/nerfed?

• Decreased the amount of stamina consumed for the following Spells, Hexes, Pyromancy and Miracles
o Soul Bolt
o Soul Shower
o Fire Orb
o Great Fireball
o Great Chaos Fireball
o Lingering Flame
o Iron Flesh

• Increased spell usage for the following Spell and Miracle
o Cast Light
o Unveil

• Improvements to the durability damage for the following Spells
o Shockwave
o Soul Spear Barrage

• Decrease the number of multi-hits to the following Spells, Hexes and Pyromancy
o Soul Vortex
o Firestorm
o Fire Tempest
o Chaos Storm
o Scraps of Life
o Lifedrain Patch
o Darkstorm

• Decrease the attack power of the following Miracle
o Blinding Bolt

• Decreased the number of attunement slots required for the following Miracle and Pyromancy
o Unveil
o Immolation

• Decrease the number of uses for the following Miracles and Hexes
o Lightning Spear
o Great Lightning Spear
o Sunlight Spear
o Emit Force
o Soul Appease
o Great Resonant Soul
o Profound Still

• Increase the damage for the following Miracle through correction to status values
o Lightning Spear
o Great Lightning Spear
o Sunlight Spear
o Emit Force

• Increase the hit radius for the Miracle
o Force

• Increase the effectiveness of the following Pyromancy and Hex
o Iron Flesh
o Whisper of Despair (duration and effect)

• Decrease the self-inflicted damage of Immolation

• Increase the speed of chanting the following Hexes
o Repel
o Twisted Barricade

• Decrease to the amount of durability damage done from Dark Hail
• Increase the attacking power of Great Resonant Soul

• Decrease character mobility while using the following items
o Amber Herb
o Twilight Herb
o Wilted Dusk Herb

Shit, this reduces the probability of me winning Titanite Chunks by Gray spirit invasion as a Bell Bro, since the opponents will be stronger.

Still, invasions are based aroud your soul memory so its better to do bell invasions in lower levels also it take in mind the host place not yours.

Ruuppa

Shit, this reduces the probability of me winning Titanite Chunks by Gray spirit invasion as a Bell Bro, since the opponents will be stronger.

Just run circles until another Bellbro joins up. If you lose then, I don't know what to say. Cheesy and unfair, but that's Bellbongin' for y'all.

PranooY

Been doing a lot of duels at Undead Purgatory. Won 15 and lost 6. 3 of those losses were to this guy named Quert or something. Jesus, I haven't seen anyone this amazing at parrying, guard breaking, esp in PvP. In addition he dual wields and carries guard piercing weapons. I was completely helpless against that guy.
I'm so impressed. Gotta work on my skills.

And no, there wasn't any lag issue.

Any helpful videos on PvP parrying?

Edit: Why the fuck didn't FROM disable healing using miracles in Duels? It gives them an unfair advantage over us melee players.

I'm afraid that due to the nature of soul memory itself that is not really true.
Fear the almighty tights of judgement lol.

It works like the previous DLC with a portal from the old iron kings primal bonfire. Those without the dlc will be able to be summoned to a harder most likely optional area.

Spoilers obviously.

What do you mean? From what I've heard 15M is the highest tier, and you can be summoned/summon people up to 99M SM. I have roughly 20M SM and still get summoned quiet frequently.

Been doing a lot of duels at Undead Purgatory. Won 15 and lost 6. 3 of those losses were to this guy named Quert or something. Jesus, I haven't seen anyone this amazing at parrying, guard breaking, esp in PvP. In addition he dual wields and carries guard piercing weapons. I was completely helpless against that guy.

Edit: Why the fuck didn't FROM disable healing using miracles in Duels? It gives them an unfair advantage over us melee players.

I thought miracles would be included in the whole no healing during PvP in arena. Yeah that seems highly unbalanced now.

Mistel

Banned
What do you mean? From what I've heard 15M is the highest tier, and you can be summoned/summon people up to 99M SM. I have roughly 20M SM and still get summoned quiet frequently.
Above that threshold it works fine however below the threshold of 15 million soul memory soul memory is a detriment to co-op itself.

Above that threshold it works fine however below the threshold of 15 million soul memory soul memory is a detriment to co-op itself.

Interesting. I am only at 10M SM and I still find pretty regular coop. Glad to hear it gets better at 15M, was getting worried I would push myself out of the fray.

Only healing items are disabled but yeah Healing miracles are bad for pvp and there is a pyro healing spell as well

Interesting. I am only at 10M SM and I still find pretty regular coop. Glad to hear it gets better at 15M, was getting worried I would push myself out of the fray.

If you want really quick and frequent Co-Op I found that Old Iron King, Dragonrider Duo, and Throne Defender/Watcher are the ones that you get summoned super quick and often for. Old Iron King brought me up to 1M SM from just co-oping hosts die a lot there though...

jimmyd

Haven't really play since that last update, so I wanted to ask about weapons for faith build. My STR is about 24, DEX 18 and Faith 50. Used to use Lightning Defender's Greatsword but it got nerfed pretty bad right? Any better recommendations now? (Mainly for PvE)

Haven't really play since that last update, so I wanted to ask about weapons for faith build. My STR is about 24, DEX 18 and Faith 50. Used to use Lightning Defender's Greatsword but it got nerfed pretty bad right? Any better recommendations now? (Mainly for PvE)

Lightning Mace+10 works really nicely. I personally just got 60 Attun 50 faith, had 6 stacks of GLS and one of Sunlight Spear. Before the nerf I had about 90is GLS, but now I have about 50. Still a lot though.

Mistel

Banned
Heide knight sword, lightning claymore, lightning archdrake mace, lightning zweihander, and lightning greatsword. I can think of a few more options but it really depend on what you want to do with your character.

I am really loving PVP as a relative newcomer. I am about to hit 5m soul level so I guess things are going to get more and more dirty...

Also still on the DLC, really really good stuff.

maomaoIYP

I haven't played in a long time, and estus healing is now removed from PvP arenas? Wow, sounds like lots of changes have been made after I stopped playing.

Anyone bought the DLC? Is it any good?

edit: I just read that the DLC added a TWoP equivalent spell. Fuck that shit.

Jaeger

I haven't played in a long time, and estus healing is now removed from PvP arenas? Wow, sounds like lots of changes have been made after I stopped playing.

It's not a big deal. Barely anyone uses it, and all you need is an attack that hits more than once on the final hit, and it's a wrap.

The DLC is good, worth playing it if you like puzzles and well designed areas like Dark Souls 1 had. Bosses are short and basically next to each other but the DLC will take you more into exploring, finding secret rooms, pushing switches and items.

maomaoIYP

The DLC is good, worth playing it if you like puzzles and well designed areas like Dark Souls 1 had. Bosses are short and basically next to each other but the DLC will take you more into exploring, finding secret rooms, pushing switches and items.

That sounds pretty good actually. How long is it compared to, say, DS1's Artorias?

That sounds pretty good actually. How long is it compared to, say, DS1's Artorias?

6 Hours maybe (I took like 8 hours finding all the items and bonfires after finishing the final boss), less if you go directly to business. There are 3 bosses in this DLC, one of them is optional like the Artorias DLC, a special NPC but no vendors since you can warp out to majula anytime you want.

This DLC is placed in nearly in end game (Unlocked after defeating the Rotten in the Rotten's primal bonfire) compared to artorias which is placed in mid game and there is not special steps to access, the key just adds to your inventory.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
try going solo? You can use a fireresistant shield etc, but he's a fun boss to two hand!

Attrition damage!!!

I never knew
Smelter Demon
had something akin to immolation aura, because all previous times I killed it in less than a minute. But this time staying long in the fight is risky, very risky.

Guess I have no choice but to upgrade my weapons for that fight (been playing without upgrading any weapons till this point).

This DLC is placed in nearly in end game (Unlocked after defeating the Rotten in the Rotten's primal bonfire) compared to artorias which is placed in mid game and there is not special steps to access, the key just adds to your inventory.

The dlc can be accessed pretty early if you really want too and it can be accessed very quickly in ng+ which is nice. I think it is placed pretty reasonably compared to AotA.

SoldnerKei

Damn
Vendrick
bodied me hard today... I wasn't able to withstand two blows against him dah fuck,
Velstadt
was freaking easy but this guy drains all my stamina with a single blow and destroys me with the other 2, what a jerk

oh well, I will get him later when I get the item to access his
memories

v1perz53

Damn
Vendrick
bodied me hard today... I wasn't able to withstand two blows against him dah fuck,
Velstadt
was freaking easy but this guy drains all my stamina with a single blow and destroys me with the other 2, what a jerk

memories

That is one of those fights where your build either makes it very difficult or very simple. On a 105 Agi character I have to try pretty hard to get hit, but a base Agi heavy armor slower build I have more trouble with. Also one of the few fights where I find melee to be way easier than casting. Actually one of the fights that sold me on adaptability as a stat.

maomaoIYP

6 Hours maybe (I took like 8 hours finding all the items and bonfires after finishing the final boss), less if you go directly to business. There are 3 bosses in this DLC, one of them is optional like the Artorias DLC, a special NPC but no vendors since you can warp out to majula anytime you want.

The dlc can be accessed pretty early if you really want too and it can be accessed very quickly in ng+ which is nice. I think it is placed pretty reasonably compared to AotA.

Hmm thanks for the info dudes, I stopped playing DS2 because I got burnt out. Maybe I'll pick the DLC up.

PranooY

Damn
Vendrick
Velstadt

memories
Blocking is almost pointless in that fight. Keep running counter-clockwise and roll, when he does a swipe with his sword.

jimmyd

Heide knight sword, lightning claymore, lightning archdrake mace, lightning zweihander, and lightning greatsword. I can think of a few more options but it really depend on what you want to do with your character.

Rocking that old faithful claymore again, awesome!

Put my summon sign down for that free access DLC, and the battery on my Dualshock died when we were 3/4 done with the fight. Sorry dude! How are people finding that Terrible Trio fight anyway? I've helped out a few people but I honestly think I could manage on my own pretty easy.

2AdEPT

Rocking that old faithful claymore again, awesome!

Put my summon sign down for that free access DLC, and the battery on my Dualshock died when we were 3/4 done with the fight. Sorry dude! How are people finding that Terrible Trio fight anyway? I've helped out a few people but I honestly think I could manage on my own pretty easy.

I haven't even made it out of the first area, I am trying to edit my vids for viewers and it takes a tonne of time....I liked how my last one turned out though, I was blind but somehow stumbled into how to find the first bonfire...(which apparently a lot of people miss so hopefully there are some that can benefit form watching...even if they already beat the "trio" etc..)

Without going into too much detail, are there bosses that out number you in the DLC? For example,
are there any 2v1 like Duo Dragon Riders or Throne Defender/Watcher or any 3v1 like the Sentinels? Also is there any annoying NG+ 3v1 crap like with Flexile Sentry or The Lost Sinner?
Just yes or no. Because while I want to get the DLC, the crap above left a terrible taste in my mouth.

Without going into too much detail, are there bosses that out number you in the DLC? For example,
are there any 2v1 like Duo Dragon Riders or Throne Defender/Watcher or any 3v1 like the Sentinels? Also is there any annoying NG+ 3v1 crap like with Flexile Sentry or The Lost Sinner?
Just yes or no. Because while I want to get the DLC, the crap above left a terrible taste in my mouth.

Yes but its a fun fight.

Edit: Well one of them is.

Fucking spears, I swear to god there is a bubble of damage around the opponent every time they attack with one. I need to roll twice just to make sure I dodge any of the hits, simply being behind my opponent as they jab forward isn't good enough it seems -_-

Edit: Caught this truly sweet 180-to-midair-death trick on the bridge

http://a.pomf.se/kirhvl.webm

Yes there are two.

One starts to summon mobs to kills you, the other one you fight 3 npcs at the same time, maybe a reminiscent of Lautrec fight.

Damn
Vendrick
Velstadt

memories

That fight is more an endurance test rather than a boss fight, just figure out the fight and always keep a little of stamina to run at him when he jumps

Yes, but for first runners is really end game since you need to unlock vendrik memory first to "guide" you to Shulva and dont lost track of the lore main game yet the game allows you to get get without see you vendrik and go early game.

Top Bottom