• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Ruuppa

You can rush right to them. It's just that last section before the boss door (with those giant worm things from the wall) where you have to slow down and kill the minions before entering.

I know, but exploring and getting the items was.. Stressful.
The big statue trap, which I assume petrifies you instantly, was funky. Managed to grab the "treasure" and roll away without getting hit though.

Really? Not enough stamina to escape? Are you playing Dynasty Warriors or something? Don't be greedy, hit the dragon once or maybe twice if you've got great timing going on and then prepare for him to fly up.

"How is getting 1-shot fair". In my world, getting hit in ANY Souls game should be considered a death. You're not supposed to get hit, ever. It's one of the reasons why I never level up my health in any of the Souls game.

People actually have trouble with ancient dragon? I killed it on my third try having not even known it was a boss, or known any of its abilities. Seemed like a pretty standard Souls boss of "thing flies into the air, run straight away to not get hit, come back and hit it twice" deal, just like Kalameet in DS1. I just ran straight back to the door and I never got hit by the fire, didn't try to specifically position myself or run to a tail or shadow or anything. And I hardly had max Vigor and in my unsuccessful tries none of the attacks killed me in one hit except the frontal cone breath, which was still two hits but knocked me down so I had no chance of living.

Watchoutwegotabadassoverhere.gif

Anyway, just finished the game! Took me about 80hours according to Steam.

which means it's now finally time to find out how Demon's Souls is.

Really? Not enough stamina to escape? Are you playing Dynasty Warriors or something? Don't be greedy, hit the dragon once or maybe twice if you've got great timing going on and then prepare for him to fly up.

"How is getting 1-shot fair". In my world, getting hit in ANY Souls game should be considered a death. You're not supposed to get hit, ever. It's one of the reasons why I never level up my health in any of the Souls game.

That seems a tad too far. Never supposed to be hit ever is a bit of a stretch. Yeah you're supposed to usually dodge roll, but blocking is sometimes wiser in my opinion. And sometimes trading blows helps heh. I don't particularly agree with bosses that one-shot, but considering there's only two bosses that do that and they are both optional I'm fine with it.

gogosox82

Except you can get hit in any souls and be fine. Yes, you can't get hit 4 or 5 times in a row but getting hit once and being killed is bs especially when your trying to learn a boss. The game needs to be tailored to fit several playstyles not just yours. So its great that your so pro that you never get hit, but most people don't play like that and the game should be balanced enough so that it accommodates several different playstyles, not just the I never get hit playstyle. There's also no boss from either of the previous games that straight up one shot you no matter what. Even dragon god or bed of choas don't one shot you but Ancient Dragon because reasons.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I heard it's alright.

Yeah, I bought it once, back in 2010 when word of how good it was just reaching 'the west'. But for some reason I couldn't get into it (beat the Phalanx and that was it, didn't touch it again until -> ). Only very recently managed to have the series click with Dark Souls earlier this year. Following up with DkS2 felt like a logical step and I've only just (re)bought a PS3 to be able to play Demon's again, which is probably the biggest reason for the delay in playing it. Felt a bit overkill to buy an entire console for just that one game and I had a hard time justifying the expenditure.

It'll be totally worth it though, going to be awesome playing that without all the frustrations of getting to grips with what a Souls game is.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Except you can get hit in any souls and be fine. Yes, you can't get hit 4 or 5 times in a row but getting hit once and being killed is bs especially when your trying to learn a boss. The game needs to be tailored to fit several playstyles not just yours. So its great that your so pro that you never get hit, but most people don't play like that and the game should be balanced enough so that it accommodates several different playstyles, not just the I never get hit playstyle. There's also no boss from either of the previous games that straight up one shot you no matter what. Even dragon god or bed of choas don't one shot you but Ancient Dragon because reasons.
This has nothing to do with me playing for the bajillionth time. You say that being killed is BS especially when you're trying to learn a boss, I say that's part of the experience. When encountering a boss for the first, second, third, etc time, I am not entering the mist with the hopes of defeating the boss. I'm in there to learn the patterns - including the environments, the range of his attacks, his hurtbox, my hitbox, etc - and I'm ready to die multiple times in order to master the situation. After a few tries, I'll give it my best. But see, the learning and dying is part of the experience.

Almost every move from every boss in Demon's Souls one shots you in soul form (which is what you're supposed to play in), and with zero points spent in health. And every regular enemy one shots you in NG+.

Dark Souls (1) is trash, I don't take that game into calculation here.

Kalameet could one shot you, with Manus if he got his grab on you, his fury of attacks that follow after almost always kills you, while not technically a one-shot, you can't escape it either so still counts. Plus he's an optional boss, so I don't get why people are so angry at it.

This has nothing to do with me playing for the bajillionth time. You say that being killed is BS especially when you're trying to learn a boss, I say that's part of the experience. When encountering a boss for the first, second, third, etc time, I am not entering the mist with the hopes of defeating the boss. I'm in there to learn the patterns - including his range, his hurtbox, my hitbox, etc - and I'm ready to die multiple times in order to master the situation. After a few tries, I'll give it my best. But see, the learning and dying is part of the experience.

Almost every move from every boss in Demon's Souls one shots you in soul form (which is what you're supposed to play in), and with zero points spent in health. And every regular enemy one shots you in NG+.

Well you can't really effectively learn their pattern if they kill you instantly. You need to be able to take a few hits first then begin learning their moves. Then a new amazing move comes out you never seen before and kills you, and you're like ooooooo shit that was wicked, I died but that was awesome. What was the matter with Dark Souls 1, aside from it being a horrid port?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Well you can't really effectively learn their pattern if they kill you instantly. You need to be able to take a few hits first then begin learning their moves. Then a new amazing move comes out you never seen before and kills you, and you're like ooooooo shit that was wicked, I died but that was awesome.
I don't agree with you at all. Getting killed "instantly" is, again, part of the experience. For me, that's the most thrilling experience in a Souls game - entering the mist, knowing that you'll die multiple times. In DkS2, I didn't even touch the bosses for the first 2-3 minutes (if I survived that long) as I engaged the battle for the first time.

edit: Leaving the Dark Souls 1-discussion for another time. I've already gone through what I think is wrong with that game multiple times and people hate my opinions about it - and I'm tired of people hating on me for it.

Ruuppa

I don't agree with you at all. Getting killed "instantly" is, again, part of the experience. For me, that's the most thrilling experience in a Souls game - entering the mist, knowing that you'll die multiple times. In DkS2, I didn't even touch the bosses for the first 2-3 minutes (if I survived that long) as I engaged the battle for the first time.

edit: Leaving the Dark Souls 1-discussion for another time. I've already gone through what I think is wrong with that game multiple times and people hate my opinions about it - and I'm tired of people hating on me for it.

Sounds masochistic. Kinky, but not my thing. Whatever floats your boat though.

v1perz53

Well, you say all that but I killed 60% of the bosses in DkS 2 on the first try by winging it having never seen them before, so I actually think that was heavily lacking as a part of the DkS 2 experience. I may have just accidentally used an OP build or something my first go (I used a melee and spears faith build AFTER the nerf), but I died over and over to random mobs in the world, but rarely died to bosses.

But I absolutely agree on one hit kills. If you die to Guardian Dragon's breath, you go "shit, that breath one shot me, I guess I need to avoid it somehow" and you start trying things to avoid it. Eventually you learn you need to book ass and run away. You got one shot a bunch but definitely still learned.

I can't disagree more in regards to DkS 1 but as you say, that is for another time. I love DkS 2 and I don't think there are the sweeping problems people always bring up, but I do know for a fact that I had more fun in PvE with the combat system the entire time in DkS1 vs 2 (as a melee, caster is loads better in the 2nd game).

Dying constantly is part of the experience. Dying instantly isn't. But everyone should play how they want, it's what makes SL 1 playthroughs worth watching. Can you at least link me to where you talked to it before? I promise no hatred, I may simply disagree but not hate :p.

Yoshichan

Later on, I'll try and find one of my posts where I go through the details :)

v1perz53

Dying constantly is part of the experience. Dying instantly isn't. But everyone should play how they want, it's what makes SL 1 playthroughs worth watching. Can you at least link me to where you talked to it before? I promise no hatred, I may simply disagree but not hate :p.

Really, what is the difference between getting killed instantly and getting hit for half your HP? In both cases you saw an attack, got hit by it and knew you needed to do something to not get hit or mitigate it next time that attack was done. In one case, you still get to see other attacks that may or may not kill you, in the other case you have to run back to the boss, then you get to see other attacks that may or may not kill you. The only thing that changes with a 1 hit kill versus a non 1 hit kill is a run back to the boss, which is a minor inconvenience at best, and the death penalty. It just serves to make that boss more dangerous by giving you an attack that you absolutely must recognize and avoid properly or else.

Not to mention the dragon's center attack doesn't actually one shot with enough HP and resistances, but that is besides the point. And yes, you can be in a spot where you get hit once by the center breath and live, happened to me multiple times.

Mistel

Banned
Later on, I'll try and find one of my posts where I go through the details :)
Will this suffice:
And a short bursts of +'s and -'s.
Dark Souls
+ Everything up until 50%>
+ Music is the best out of the three

- Everything after 50%>
- Blighttown framerate
- Open world resulted in you seeing unfinished maps early on
- PvP is still shit
Just in case anyone is wonder here's why you like the sequel:
Dark Souls 2, by a fat fucking margin

+ Gameplay is more precise
+ The game is solid from beginning to end
+ 60fps
+ Better graphics
+ PvP (I've played ~500 matches in DkS2 and consider it really good compared to the lag-fest that was DkS1)

- Worse map design (<50% of DkS1 is genius)
- Worse bosses

People actually have trouble with ancient dragon? I killed it on my third try having not even known it was a boss, or known any of its abilities. Seemed like a pretty standard Souls boss of "thing flies into the air, run straight away to not get hit, come back and hit it twice" deal, just like Kalameet in DS1. I just ran straight back to the door and I never got hit by the fire, didn't try to specifically position myself or run to a tail or shadow or anything. And I hardly had max Vigor and in my unsuccessful tries none of the attacks killed me in one hit except the frontal cone breath, which was still two hits but knocked me down so I had no chance of living.

Take in mind not everyone plays at the same style and have the same perspective of the game like others. The boss is hard if you dont figure out what to do and this is what the thread is for, not for discouraging them with those posts.

Really, what is the difference between getting killed instantly and getting hit for half your HP? In both cases you saw an attack, got hit by it and knew you needed to do something to not get hit or mitigate it next time that attack was done. In one case, you still get to see other attacks that may or may not kill you, in the other case you have to run back to the boss, then you get to see other attacks that may or may not kill you. The only thing that changes with a 1 hit kill versus a non 1 hit kill is a run back to the boss, which is a minor inconvenience at best, and the death penalty. It just serves to make that boss more dangerous by giving you an attack that you absolutely must recognize and avoid properly or else.

I dont mind the enemies have insane damage or unblockable moves but when the enemies have infinite stamina,instant frames and crazy hitboxes that doesnt let you any windows to attack there is someting bad in the enemies design.

Yoshichan

Will this suffice:

Just in case anyone is wonder here's why you like the sequel:
Thanks! But I'm sure no one's interested in quick + and - summaries. I was thinking more of the detailed summary (summaries?) that I did like 6 months after DkS1 was released.

Not to mention the dragon's center attack doesn't actually one shot with enough HP and resistances, but that is besides the point. And yes, you can be in a spot where you get hit once by the center breath and live, happened to me multiple times.

You survive one and get to continue to fight the boss who may be close to death. One is also more annoying, personally I don't get mad at dying to the boss, I just hate the run back to the boss it's usually so so tedious, and in the case of Ancient Dragon, it's long and annoying. While I don't mind dying, simply insta killing you for messing up once in the entirety of a fight is a bit drastic.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The Ancient Dragon is cheap (I say this as someone who killed him on every 6 of my characters, twice in some cases with NG+ so no need to tell me to git gud), but keep in mind that without health and fire defense the fire can be survived. The only thing that has OHKOed me every single time regardless of my HP or defense has been his melee attacks (headbutt and stomps). I don't know if there's enough HP or defense in the game to ever survive this. But the fire can be survived and it makes a huge difference. If you get unlucky in the positioning and can't run from the AOE in time, it's far less frustrating to survive with a sliver left, drink 2 estus and resume the battle than it is to climb back those Shrine stairs every time.

"How is getting 1-shot fair". In my world, getting hit in ANY Souls game should be considered a death. You're not supposed to get hit, ever.
"Supposed to"? Complete bollocks. The Souls games are RPGs, not Contra. You're not supposed to get hit often, obviously. You're supposed to learn from your mistakes. And Demon's Souls has HP bars, the cling ring, spells such as Warding and Second Chance, Dark Souls has Flash Sweat and Magic Barrier and poise, grass and Estus and lifegems and healing spells, obviously the game does intend for the player to get hit (and then learn not to eventually). Otherwise every hit would OHKO and it obviously doesn't.

Even the tutorial Vanguard in Demon's Souls doesn't OHKO on most hits. I killed him several times now, and sometimes I still mistime a roll and... survive!

It's one of the reasons why I never level up my health in any of the Souls game.
I always laughed when I PvPed against such players in Demon's Souls. 100% of the time it ends with him getting one-shot and me going "poor guy"...

Yeah well, there isn't a "never get hit" playstyle really. Whether you play a tank, a nimble dex, a pew pew mage, etc. at some point you'll get hit, and then you'll git gud and stop getting hit for the most part but other than the crazy SL1 red tearstone maniacs on youtube, most players will still take a hit or two every now and then.

This has nothing to do with me playing for the bajillionth time. You say that being killed is BS especially when you're trying to learn a boss, I say that's part of the experience. When encountering a boss for the first, second, third, etc time, I am not entering the mist with the hopes of defeating the boss. I'm in there to learn the patterns - including the environments, the range of his attacks, his hurtbox, my hitbox, etc - and I'm ready to die multiple times in order to master the situation. After a few tries, I'll give it my best. But see, the learning and dying is part of the experience.
And yet I defeated most bosses in my first try, despite getting hit. "Oops I mistimed the roll on that swing, quick, Estus, ok now I know when to dodge this". I don't need to 100% master the whole situation in order to defeat the boss. Maybe you just want to refuse to progress until you perfect every boss, but most players aren't like that (is this what gogosox meant about "playstyle"?). Most players are happy to defeat S&O with a low HP bar and no Estus left.

Almost every move from every boss in Demon's Souls one shots you in soul form
Only if you never level up VIT...
(which is what you're supposed to play in)
Huh? Says who? xD I guess the game reviving you after coop and invasions and defeating mandatory bosses and giving you tons of Stones of Ephemeral Eyes is the game's way of telling you "play in soul form always"...?

, and with zero points spent in health. And every regular enemy one shots you in NG+.

eyeroll.gif

Yoshichan

Quote wars like it's 2011! It's the launch of DkS1 all over again :D

I agree with nothing you've said, and disagree with everything you've said. :shock

edit: on a serious note, I shouldn't have gone into this discussion at all and I apologize for doing so. I should know by now that my theory, my ideas and my way of doing things is not the majorities way of playing Souls. It's just that walking around with a full health bar, doing shit damage, using revival spells and using all different healing items/spells while getting hit by bosses for 10 minutes straight until you finally struggle a win... just the sound of all of this makes me cringe - and if I had played this way when I first started playing Souls, I would've never, ever considered it a good game. It might as well be called Castlevania at that point.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Okay, then explain your statement "the game is meant to be played in soul form". I've explained why this statement doesn't make sense. Your move! ;)

Yoshichan

Edit: On a serious note, I shouldn't have gone into this discussion at all and I apologize for doing so. I should know by now that my theory, my ideas and my way of doing things is not the majorities way of playing Souls. It's just that walking around with a full health bar, doing shit damage, using revival spells and using all different healing items/spells while getting hit by bosses for 10 minutes straight until you finally struggle a win... just the sound of all of this makes me cringe - and if I had played this way when I first started playing Souls, I would've never, ever considered it a good game. It might as well be called Castlevania at that point.

Yoshichan

Okay, then explain your statement "the game is meant to be played in soul form". I've explained why this statement doesn't make sense. Your move! ;)
Damage boost. Min-maxing your damage, minimizing the time you'll spend on your way to bosses, and against bosses. You should know this.

Yoshichan

A slightly moot point later in the game with the diminishing returns though.
Min-maxing. It's not called that for no reason. What's later in the game? @s.lvl500? Because it's relevant as shit even at NG+++.

Ruuppa

Min-maxing. It's not called that for no reason. What's later in the game? @s.lvl500? Because it's relevant as shit even at NG+++.

Later in the game, as in after you've built up your damage output from Str/Dex/Int/Fai to their respective soft/hardcaps.

Yoshichan

Later in the game, as in after you've built up your damage output from Str/Dex/Int/Fai to their respective soft/hardcaps.
Still noticeable and not to be taken for granted.

Yoshichan

I suppose so. Glasscannons can be fun to play as well. I've been thinking of trying one with Red Tearstone -mode active all the time.
Wait, Red Tearstone? You mean Clever Rat's Ring, right? We aren't talking about Dark Souls, right :p? Because in that case, I apologize. I don't know jack shit about that game, I'm casual as shit.

Ruuppa

Wait, Red Tearstone? You mean Clever Rat's Ring, right? We aren't talking about Dark Souls, right :p? Because in that case, I apologize. I don't know jack shit about that game, I'm casual as shit.

Uh, wait. Were we talking Demons'? Crap, my bad. I got confused somewhere :S

But such a glasscannon mode is probably fun in any of the Souls games.

Yoshichan

Uh, wait. Were we talking Demons'? Crap, my bad. I got confused somewhere :S

But such a glasscannon mode is probably fun in any of the Souls games.
God damn it, haha. I have no idea how glass cannoning works in DkS1. How do you easily get to low life?

Ruuppa

God damn it, haha. I have no idea how glass cannoning works in DkS1. How do you easily get to low life?

Jump down ledges a lot, get hit by weak attacks a lot. Most areas have good spots to fall down and lose a chunk of health "safely". You can also use a Dung Pie to get Toxic, and cure it when the buff activates.

Pretty much the same in DkS2, but there's a pyromancy that can take you to that level of health as well. Or it can kill you if you have too low max HP :D

v1perz53

Thanks! But I'm sure no one's interested in quick + and - summaries. I was thinking more of the detailed summary (summaries?) that I did like 6 months after DkS1 was released.

Huh, after reading those +/- summaries I actually agree with you on most points, but came to a different ending conclusion. Though it's a little disingenuous that you quote Blighttown framerate as a problem with 1 and 60 FPS as a benefit to 2, when the PC version is the only way to get 60 FPS in 2 and also eliminates any problems in Blighttown. Also, 60 FPS ended up being kind of a double edged sword because they still haven't fixed the 60 FPS durability issues or halved roll iframes, so while I prefer 60 FPS, it comes with frustrating drawbacks. I think I disagree with you overall because I play these games 95% for the single player, so the fact that PvP is loads better in DkS 2 didn't really make me like the game more. Really the only point I disagree with is the precision, in that I feel in PvP DkS 2 is more precise mostly due to dedicated serves and lag issues, but DkS 1 is far more precise in PvE in an offline environment. In DkS 1 I never felt like I got hit when I didn't deserve to, but in DkS 2 I definitely feel that way on occasion, even with 105+ Agi characters.

Glad someone posted that though, I love reading different opinions especially seeing how people playing a game in different ways affects their opinion of it.

Take in mind not everyone plays at the same style and have the same perspective of the game like others. The boss is hard if you dont figure out what to do and this is what the thread is for, not for discouraging them with those posts.

Honestly, I didn't mean to sound condescending, though in reading back it does come off that way. I was actually just trying to express surprise as I personally didn't find the boss hard when I did it. Same happened a lot in DkS 1, where I found Sif to actually be very challenging but people posted a lot about how it was a joke easy fight. Really only wanted to express surprise that people found it hard and maybe offer some reasoning to why I found it easy to possibly help people out.

Most people use Power Within, which drains your HP while boosting your attack by 40% and increases stamina regen too. Problem is that it doesn't stop draining your health until its duration is over, which means it will kill you if you get too low of health. However, you can of set the health loss sightly with the Sanctus shield.

Ruuppa

Most people use Power Within, which drains your HP while boosting your attack by 40% and increases stamina regen too. Problem is that it doesn't stop draining your health until its duration is over, which means it will kill you if you get too low of health. However, you can of set the health loss sightly with the Sanctus shield.

Oh yeah, DkS1 übermode. Snap on Dragon Torso Stone as well, and you're doing four digit damage in two hits.

Huh, after reading those +/- summaries I actually agree with you on most points, but came to a different ending conclusion. Though it's a little disingenuous that you quote Blighttown framerate as a problem with 1 and 60 FPS as a benefit to 2, when the PC version is the only way to get 60 FPS in 2 and also eliminates any problems in Blighttown. Also, 60 FPS ended up being kind of a double edged sword because they still haven't fixed the 60 FPS durability issues or halved roll iframes, so while I prefer 60 FPS, it comes with frustrating drawbacks. I think I disagree with you overall because I play these games 95% for the single player, so the fact that PvP is loads better in DkS 2 didn't really make me like the game more. Really the only point I disagree with is the precision, in that I feel in PvP DkS 2 is more precise mostly due to dedicated serves and lag issues, but DkS 1 is far more precise in PvE in an offline environment. In DkS 1 I never felt like I got hit when I didn't deserve to, but in DkS 2 I definitely feel that way on occasion, even with 105+ Agi characters.

Glad someone posted that though, I love reading different opinions especially seeing how people playing a game in different ways affects their opinion of it.

Honestly, I didn't mean to sound condescending, though in reading back it does come off that way. I was actually just trying to express surprise as I personally didn't find the boss hard when I did it. Same happened a lot in DkS 1, where I found Sif to actually be very challenging but people posted a lot about how it was a joke easy fight. Really only wanted to express surprise that people found it hard and maybe offer some reasoning to why I found it easy to possibly help people out.

If you stayed under his belly where none of his attacks ever hit you, then yeah he's a joke. Fighting him while in front of him becomes more challenging. I never experienced that bad of an FPS drop in blighttown, yeah it was obvious it was lower but the way people make it seem is like it was less than 10 fps heh. I can't stress how much I love the servers of DS 2, putting down a summon sign and being summoned within seconds makes me feeling things I've never felt before.
Yeah I really hate the durability issue, there's a pretty good video demonstrating it, if anyone else is interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVrlwnYkRMI. Plus the lore of DS 1 seems a lot more plausible and there's more guidance relating to the lore. With the hitting when you're sure you dodged it because of the way they have it set up now before you could dodge in any direction regardless of the way they are swinging and you'll be fine. But now if you roll forward when they do a vertical swipe, you get hit. If you're rolling left/right when they do a vertical hit, and part of you is still near their hitbox you still get hit, albeit less damage than you would normally take. I noticed that a lot with Old Iron Kings fist slam.

neoism

MEH the boss is an ass hole the only one I didnt beat my first playthrough.but really there is only one strategy for Dark Souls games... its really simple. "GIT GUD" :p I'm killin that mofo this time..

MEH the boss is an ass hole the only one I didnt beat my first playthrough.but really there is only one strategy for Dark Souls games... its really simple. "GIT GUD" :p I'm killin that mofo this time..

I tried to GIT GUD once, I failed miserably. They grand lanced me in places no one should ever be lanced grandly ;~;

v1perz53

With the hitting when you're sure you dodged it because of the way they have it set up now before you could dodge in any direction regardless of the way they are swinging and you'll be fine. But now if you roll forward when they do a vertical swipe, you get hit. If you're rolling left/right when they do a vertical hit, and part of you is still near their hitbox you still get hit, albeit less damage than you would normally take. I noticed that a lot with Old Iron Kings fist slam.

Weird, I actually feel like in DkS 2 if I roll straight at an enemy that is the only time it works 100% of the time, including rolling directly at their weapon as it is coming down. Definitely agree with you on Old Iron King fist slam though. I wish it worked like you said 100%, because that would be very elegant (though DkS 1 rolls did work like that in some ways, an example being the Stone Guardian DLC guys, rolling the wrong way gets you hit), but my experience still says otherwise as I tested exactly that out. I really only had problems with getting hit when I swore I shouldn't have 5% of the time, but it still annoyed me.

It was meant to be by a previous patch but going by that that's not the case.

Really? What about the binoboosting backstabs or whatever that was, was that properly fixed?

Weird, I actually feel like in DkS 2 if I roll straight at an enemy that is the only time it works 100% of the time, including rolling directly at their weapon as it is coming down. Definitely agree with you on Old Iron King fist slam though. I wish it worked like you said 100%, because that would be very elegant (though DkS 1 rolls did work like that in some ways, an example being the Stone Guardian DLC guys, rolling the wrong way gets you hit), but my experience still says otherwise as I tested exactly that out. I really only had problems with getting hit when I swore I shouldn't have 5% of the time, but it still annoyed me.
I remember they were talking about doing it, guess they didn't do it too well. There have been times where I try rolling under a horizontal swing and still get hit, it's rather annoying. I like it too, it makes dodge rolling harder and thus makes the fight more difficult.

edit:
Holy fuck what did they do to the Dark Chasm? It was nowhere near this bright back when I first went through them in April or May.
No idea, they seem to have gone in the complete opposite direction that they initially were going, I LOVED the idea of having to carry a torch around to see, and it being nearly as dark as Tomb of The Giants, it gave the game a dark atmosphere and added to the immersion of the game. Now everything is lit up nicely and torch is useless, I have like 5 hours worth of torches.

Ruuppa

I remember they were talking about doing it, guess they didn't do it too well. There have been times where I try rolling under a horizontal swing and still get hit, it's rather annoying. I like it too, it makes dodge rolling harder and thus makes the fight more difficult.

The biggest/only thing I think that's wrong with dodging is that many enemies have totally ridiculous tracking. The Salamanders in Forest of Giants for example will pivot in place and track you 100% unless they're doing a melee attack. Their triple fireball will have that same 100% tracking. Big smashy guys like Drakekeeper Macemen also have crazy pirouettes with their overheads, right when you think you could sidestep it without rolling.

The biggest/only thing I think that's wrong with dodging is that many enemies have totally ridiculous tracking. The Salamanders in Forest of Giants for example will pivot in place and track you 100% unless they're doing a melee attack. Their triple fireball will have that same 100% tracking. Big smashy guys like Drakekeeper Macemen also have crazy pirouettes with their overheads, right when you think you could sidestep it without rolling.

Yeah I noticed that. Like the two that are before the dragon warrior dudes will begin to do an overhead strike, and you go behind them, as they are going down they do a 180 and hit you still. Throne Defender/Watcher also have really hard, if not impossible move sets making them highly difficult to do solo. I only beat them because 4 sunlight spears wrecks one and I had like 6 of them, then GLS finishes them off.

Also their entire body can hit you like it was his head and cancel frames to turn around you

Top Bottom