• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Just started the DLC tonight. I haven't found any bosses yet, but the level design has been pretty inspired.

I did a clean sweep of Shulva, more or less, without any problems. Fell off a ledge but these things happen. Explored the Dragon Sanctum (no dragons...), took care of the first two ghost guys with relative ease but I couldn't find the tombs of their friends near the spike floor. So basically I ran through the latter half of that area like a chicken with my head cut off because I've got two invincible juggernauts chasing me. Then of course Jester Thomas invades, I panic and run through the fog wall liking my chances better against a boss than against a dark spirit and two ghost warriors. No boss though, just a crap ton of angry bipedal salamanders who want me dead. I sprint for the bonfire in the distance with one of those guys nipping at my heels. I swear I lit the bonfire and died to one of those things simultaneously, definitely the closest shave I've ever had. Then I found a path back to the first Shulva bonfire and called it a night.

2AdEPT

Dude, come on now.

HAhaha ...you dont know yoshi....dark souls injured him in more ways than just psychologically, he actually lost some real human blood during his initial playthrough on release date 2011. I dont know him personally, but have enjoyed being a major Demon's souls advocate along side the man since 2009. I played Dark souls and liked it, but Demon's is the best ....all things considered...here's to hoping bloodborne is the spiritual successor miyazaki REALLY intended before Namco got their dirty hands all over things in Dark.

[
]
I did a clean sweep of Shulva, more or less, without any problems. Fell off a ledge but these things happen. Explored the Dragon Sanctum (no dragons...), took care of the first two ghost guys with relative ease but I couldn't find the tombs of their friends near the spike floor. So basically I ran through the latter half of that area like a chicken with my head cut off because I've got two invincible juggernauts chasing me. Then of course Jester Thomas invades, I panic and run through the fog wall liking my chances better against a boss than against a dark spirit and two ghost warriors. No boss though, just a crap ton of angry bipedal salamanders who want me dead. I sprint for the bonfire in the distance with one of those guys nipping at my heels. I swear I lit the bonfire and died to one of those things simultaneously, definitely the closest shave I've ever had. Then I found a path back to the first Shulva bonfire and called it a night.

Im right there also man...I didnt get the bonfire yet though and I have a lot of editing to do first.........but I literally stopped playing 5 minutes ago to type this.

More progress:
Jester Thomas down, that tricky bastard. Trickier still was getting Denial from the Dragon Sanctum. Is there really no way to get rid of those ghost warriors? I can't find their tombs anywhere. I guess it doesn't matter now, since I think I got everything worthwhile.

Mistel

Banned
More progress:
Jester Thomas down, that tricky bastard. Trickier still was getting Denial from the Dragon Sanctum. Is there really no way to get rid of those ghost warriors? I can't find their tombs anywhere. I guess it doesn't matter now, since I think I got everything worthwhile.
There's a crypt with their corpses right near the spikes.

Is the DS2 server down for anyone else?

I was about to ask that :p. I think they might be re-enabling VAC, I remember when I was looking at that MetaCap tool, they said VAC was currently disabled and that was last updated yesterday, so maybe today they are finally re-enabling VAC? I think they shut down the servers for a bit when they first disabled it.

Anyone have any good suggestions for a high DPS weapon for a character with 40 STR? Might go up to 50 even. Currently I'm using a Greatsword +10 and it does really amazing damage, I'm just wondering if there's something that does even more.

Edit: Servers seem to be back up.

Ruuppa

Anyone have any good suggestions for a high DPS weapon for a character with 40 STR? Might go up to 50 even. Currently I'm using a Greatsword +10 and it does really amazing damage, I'm just wondering if there's something that does even more.

Red Iron Twinblade has terrifying DPS in the hands of an Str character.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
HAhaha ...you dont know yoshi....dark souls injured him in more ways than just psychologically, he actually lost some real human blood during his initial playthrough on release date 2011. I dont know him personally, but have enjoyed being a major Demon's souls advocate along side the man since 2009. I played Dark souls and liked it, but Demon's is the best ....all things considered...here's to hoping bloodborne is the spiritual successor miyazaki REALLY intended before Namco got their dirty hands all over things in Dark.

That was nicely put, thank you! :)

Yeah, the game nearly killed me. Literally.

BeeDog

Hit a new pain-in-the-ass obstacle in my NG++; Rockshield Baldyr, the invader on the bridge in the DLC. Having more issues with him than Jester Thomas or any of the mainline DLC bosses, lol.

:'(

Hit a new pain-in-the-ass obstacle in my NG++; Rockshield Baldyr, the invader on the bridge in the DLC. Having more issues with him than Jester Thomas or any of the mainline DLC bosses, lol.

:'(

If you can get around him you can light the bonfire behind him and give yourself a lot more room to fight him. I was having some trouble with him earlier on NG+ and ended up doing the ol' block into parry manoeuvre.

Newest PC hacking = ability to poison + curse + bleed + PETRIFY other players, lol.

http://a.pomf.se/quvjhu.webm

I'm glad I haven't come across anything that crazy yet... Though I will admit that the insta-kill Warmth made me laugh.

BeeDog

If you can get around him you can light the bonfire behind him and give yourself a lot more room to fight him. I was having some trouble with him earlier on NG+ and ended up doing the ol' block into parry manoeuvre.

I'm glad I haven't come across anything that crazy yet... Though I will admit that the insta-kill Warmth made me laugh.

I have no problem getting behind him, the problem is he can barely be staggered and manages to get in several hits doing tons of damage. And of course the fucker uses the estus-blocking item which makes it even harder :( And I'm crap at using parry, so will find alternatives. Thanks either way!

More progress:

There is a room with his corpses really close to the spike room and a bonfire, I am still looking if there is a way to lower down those spikes

Big part of the DLC is exploration, the bosses are just a bonus this time.

Mistel

Banned
I have no problem getting behind him, the problem is he can barely be staggered and manages to get in several hits doing tons of damage. And of course the fucker uses the estus-blocking item which makes it even harder :( And I'm crap at using parry, so will find alternatives. Thanks either way!
You could just pancake him to death? If you want to heal you can use the pillars to hide behind so he doesn't get you with a Lloyd's talisman.

There is a room with his corpses really close to the spike room and a bonfire, I am still looking if there is a way to lower down those spikes

Big part of the DLC is exploration, the bosses are just a bonus this time.

I found a way to lower the spikes, but I'll have to go back and see if I can find that bonfire.

neoism

Can you elaborate on this ? :p Got me curious!

lol every new game almost kills him.... yoshi only has two modes, insane and slightly less insane... he probably just played it for 4 days in row like he does with every new hottness that comes out... :p
<3

lol yup also holy fukcing shit at yo finger... :O O: D: lol from a slip in the shower what.. o_O

Mistel

Banned
Don't forget Sledge either one of Yoshichan's other nemesis:
Sledge_shot01.jpg
He made him break the disk in half and eat the cover.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Damage boost. Min-maxing your damage, minimizing the time you'll spend on your way to bosses, and against bosses. You should know this.
I know you get a slight damage boost in soul form. You are also more stealthy. So what? That doesn't follow that the "game is meant to be played in soul form". Considering you automatically revive after killing a mandatory boss (plus all the other mechanics to revive), it's obviously intended as a trade-off from the developers; sacrifice HP, a ring slot (because 99% of players will use the cling ring in soul form), and the ability for multiplayer, in exchange for increased stealth and a slight damage boost.

And the presence of the VIT stat, healing items, damage reducing spells and miracles, hyper armour on some weapons, etc. clearly show the game is not generally intended with OHKOs in mind, unlike what you claim. You may have preferred/chosen to play it that way, but your claims that the game is meant to be played that way are, sorry to say, preposterous.

Pathetic.
Yeah, very. Making those bragging webms now too, how sad.

Glad I don't play that version. Rampant hacking, and framerate/weapon degrading issues = no go, for me.

I play offline usually, so the hacking isn't a problem. The degrading thing is extremely annoying, my weapons get close to breaking too often, I might get enough INT for repair just for that issue. I have quiet a few Simpleton Spices, so that will greatly help.

ecosse_011172

My Swordsman Save is at SL30
I’m dual wielding Clubs in Power Stance with the following stats:
VGR 7
END 11
VIT 4
ATN 6
STR 18
DEX 16
ADP 9
INT 7
FTH 5

I have enough souls to level up 4 times and I have 3 Titanite Shards.
Ultimately I’d like to try Fast Weapons like Ketanas and be a rolling, slashing ninja or play with whips or even Halberds.
Clubs seem to do dish decent damage at this stage. I could
a)Put 4 into STR so that I could wield Homonculas Mace in one hand and upgrade it.
b) Upgrade my Clubs and stay with them for a while
c) Put points into END and VGR
d) Something else

Help!

I’d like to tackle Dragonrider, Pursuer and The Old Dragonslayer boss soon (I’ve beat them in my other Sorcerer sage but this is harder)!

Mistel

Banned
My Swordsman Save is at SL30
I’m dual wielding Clubs in Power Stance with the following stats:
VGR 7
END 11
VIT 4
ATN 6
STR 18
DEX 16
ADP 9
INT 7
FTH 5

I have enough souls to level up 4 times and I have 3 Titanite Shards.
Ultimately I’d like to try Fast Weapons like Ketanas and be a rolling, slashing ninja or play with whips or even Halberds.
Clubs seem to do dish decent damage at this stage. I could
a)Put 4 into STR so that I could wield Homonculas Mace in one hand and upgrade it.
b) Upgrade my Clubs and stay with them for a while
c) Put points into END and VGR
d) Something else

Help!

I’d like to tackle Dragonrider, Pursuer and The Old Dragonslayer boss soon (I’ve beat them in my other Sorcerer sage but this is harder)!
I'd put points into END and STR for the homunculus mace. Raise VGR too as that will allow you to use heavier armor. Your clubs will at max upgrade gain S scaling for your STR so they're decent in the long run. Your homunculus mace is worth upgrading as well it's stronger than the clubs will be but has lower scaling.

DEX has a low returns and isn't worth raising above the minimum requirements or the power stance requirements.

Sullichin

I know you get a slight damage boost in soul form. You are also more stealthy. So what? That doesn't follow that the "game is meant to be played in soul form". Considering you automatically revive after killing a mandatory boss (plus all the other mechanics to revive), it's obviously intended as a trade-off from the developers; sacrifice HP, a ring slot (because 99% of players will use the cling ring in soul form), and the ability for multiplayer, in exchange for increased stealth and a slight damage boost.

And the presence of the VIT stat, healing items, damage reducing spells and miracles, hyper armour on some weapons, etc. clearly show the game is not generally intended with OHKOs in mind, unlike what you claim. You may have preferred/chosen to play it that way, but your claims that the game is meant to be played that way are, sorry to say, preposterous.

Yeah, very. Making those bragging webms now too, how sad.

It's interesting how cheating is treated by different communities. /dsg/ embraces CE and while I don't think most people are being assholes, there's others who like to ruin the game for others and brag while doing it. Reddit is the worst. The Dark Souls 2 subreddit is all complaining about cheaters and then giving them attention by posting images and videos of every hacker they come across...

As for that Demon's Souls discussion.. I stay in soul form whenever possible. I'm not ok knowing I could be doing a bit more damage! But back when I sucked at the game it was amazing to be in human form because it was so rare. Demon's Souls is a beautiful game.

Mistel

Banned
Got the final piece from the shadow set, now I need good looking dual dex weapons to match
A pair of Old/Mirrah greatsword 250 C/A scaling. Or more preferably a pair of Drangleic swords 270 C/A scaling . The will go with the shadow set and as they scale C/A you get a STR bonus from both of them allowing you to get more from them than a pure DEX weapon.

2AdEPT

Got the final piece from the shadow set, now I need good looking dual dex weapons to match
LOL, it took me a few DAYS to get the full set, two of the three days on the final piece, the main armour......as for weapons......all I need are the bleed gauntlets for that set as I'm doing the vanquisher seal run....see below....BTW anyone have a preference for bleed vs. the critical gauntlets? I have noticed critical hits more so than the bleed, but the bleed look far cooler IMO so I stick with them.

BWHAHAHA...this story gets me every time!

More progress:

NOT looking! Im right there in my LP! BTW can anyone tell the difference between this latest recording and others?!?!!? This time I recorded in 720P but used 60FPS..it definitely looked waaay better before upload to you tube, but since you tube sucks and only does 30 fps, Im not sure it helped...a piece of me thinks it did but I appreciate others setting me straight?

A pair of Old/Mirrah greatsword 250 C/A scaling. Or more preferably a pair of Drangleic swords 270 C/A scaling . The will go with the shadow set and as they scale C/A you get a STR bonus from both of them allowing you to get more from them than a pure DEX weapon.
Yeah in the past I have gone light with STR weapons and I realize the stats are better, but if you really are going light and want to stay dex the Darkdrift in right hand and Rickard's rapier in left is what gave me the most satisfaction. Even with a tonne of stamina the animations for those heavy weapons are sooooo slow. I respect those that can still be relatively quick on their feet with the big guns, but I need the crutch of maneuverability, even if it hurts my DPS...I usually can get a few extra hits in on things with extra speed. BTW, I realize the curved dragon sword is no good for PVP, but it swings a bit faster than other heavier weapons than murakumo etc. buffed up it was a good alternative for the dex stuff when I wanted a bit of power for bosses like
Darklurker
. PLus I am a fan of the R2special attacks...keeps it interesting, at least for a while.

Mistel

Banned
no just the gauntlets..its a vanquisher seal fist only run. So I Punch with the gauntlets...guess it would suck if they didnt work, but still they look too cool to take off I think.
Hate to rain on your parade they don't work like that. They will only proc bleed on weapons that have bleed naturally or infused onto the weapon itself. But if you like wearing them it's no harm done that's also why you never noticed bleed at all.

2AdEPT

Hate to rain on your parade they don't work like that. They will only proc bleed on weapons that have bleed naturally or infused onto the weapon itself. But if you like wearing them it's no harm done that's also why you never noticed bleed at all.

cool thanks.....also to answer my own question...looks like you tube may already "unofficially" support 60 fps? - - wrong thread I know -- but the video above was rendered in 60FPS and i thought I could tell a difference...can anyone else?!?!?!?

v1perz53

Glad I don't play that version. Rampant hacking, and framerate/weapon degrading issues = no go, for me.

I am really torn, I have the platinum trophy on PS3 and at least one NG++ save on PC so I've played both versions a ton. 60 FPS and PC graphics really add a lot to this game, it looks and plays so much better on PC. But the durability issues and halved roll iframes are really big issues that kill my enjoyment. Hard to say which version I prefer.

To be honest, I don't PvP a lot but I did max out my Bell Keeper covenant and farm some chunks on PC and I never encountered a single hacker (that I could tell), so I don't think it is that rampant. But it is really shitty.

Actually, I lied, I always play the PC version now. The graphics increase and 60 FPS is just very noticeable to me, just load up a new save and look at the grass right where you start on PS3 vs PC. The bugs are still super annoying though, and if I PvPed more I would only play on PS3. Just need a PS4 version to come out to be best of both worlds.

AngryMoth

I am really torn, I have the platinum trophy on PS3 and at least one NG++ save on PC so I've played both versions a ton. 60 FPS and PC graphics really add a lot to this game, it looks and plays so much better on PC. But the durability issues and halved roll iframes are really big issues that kill my enjoyment. Hard to say which version I prefer.

To be honest, I don't PvP a lot but I did max out my Bell Keeper covenant and farm some chunks on PC and I never encountered a single hacker (that I could tell), so I don't think it is that rampant. But it is really shitty.

Actually, I lied, I always play the PC version now. The graphics increase and 60 FPS is just very noticeable to me, just load up a new save and look at the grass right where you start on PS3 vs PC. The bugs are still super annoying though, and if I PvPed more I would only play on PS3. Just need a PS4 version to come out to be best of both worlds.
Load times are the biggest reason I prefer the pc version, it's so painful sitting there for 30+ seconds when I go back to ps3. Bugs don't bother me really much, iframes are still long enough to reliably roll through magic.

Just making my way through the first dlc at the moment, enjoying the level designs but the 2 bosses I've fought so far haven't been great. Oh, and this drakeblood armour I found is fucking badass

Load times are the biggest reason I prefer the pc version, it's so painful sitting there for 30+ seconds when I go back to ps3. Bugs don't bother me really much, iframes are still long enough to reliably roll through magic.

Just making my way through the first dlc at the moment, enjoying the level designs but the 2 bosses I've fought so far haven't been great. Oh, and this drakeblood armour I found is fucking badass

30 secs? I for much see 10 secs on the 360 version

There are only two bosses bro.
And an optional one

ecosse_011172

I'd put points into END and STR for the homunculus mace. Raise VGR too as that will allow you to use heavier armor. Your clubs will at max upgrade gain S scaling for your STR so they're decent in the long run. Your homunculus mace is worth upgrading as well it's stronger than the clubs will be but has lower scaling.

DEX has a low returns and isn't worth raising above the minimum requirements or the power stance requirements.

Thanks for that, I did as you suggested, took dragonrider out, bumped, END and VIT, now I'm finding Old Dragonrider very tough. I've wasted a few Humanity Effigies, noone to summon except the NPC who I almost beat him with.
I'm loath to use another effigy now though :-(

Top Bottom