• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Pooya

beat the last boss fight of DLC yesterday after putting some time into it. Quite fun.
Drakeblood sword is pretty good. I like it quite a bit, low stamina use, good damage. Pretty good for DEX builds. I cleaned up everything in the DLC, I give it a seven out of ten. Hope the other two are as good, I was satisfied despite the
reskinned boss fights.

Ruuppa

Anyone know much about the Shadow Dagger? Is it worth going the Mundane route with it? How does it fair against other daggers in that respect?

The special thing about the Shadow Dagger is the high-ish Str scaling, which makes it better than the normal dagger for Str builds. If you have enough stats to abuse Mundane, it doesn't differ much from a normal Mundane Dagger.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
The special thing about the Shadow Dagger is the high-ish Str scaling, which makes it better than the normal dagger for Str builds. If you have enough stats to abuse Mundane, it doesn't differ much from a normal Mundane Dagger.

Ah, right. Thanks, man. How about the range, move-set and crit stats, they any good? Do you know if it's Mundane damage better or worse than a Mundane Dagger?

Ruuppa

Ah, right. Thanks, man. How about the range, move-set and crit stats, they any good? Do you know if it's Mundane damage better or worse than a Mundane Dagger?

It has 3 extra base damage than a normal Dagger, so the Mundane damage should be a tiny bit better. Range is about the same, crit is the same. Moveset.. Can't remember if it's 1-1 same as Dagger or a bit different; I've only used it for parries/backstabs.
Edit: Some fact-checking finds that Shadow Dagger has less crit than the normal Dagger, but that doesn't affect parries or backstabs, so ehn.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
It has 3 extra base damage than a normal Dagger, so the Mundane damage should be a tiny bit better. Range is about the same, crit is the same. Moveset.. Can't remember if it's 1-1 same as Dagger or a bit different; I've only used it for parries/backstabs.
Edit: Some fact-checking finds that Shadow Dagger has less crit than the normal Dagger, but that doesn't affect parries or backstabs, so ehn.

Thanks for the help!

Ruuppa

Summoning canceled.
Unable to join multiplayer session. FIST PUMP!

Curse you sunlight medals!!!

I feel your pain man. Should have farmed all 30 immediately when I reached Congregation.. 2.2mil SM on NG is suffering when trying to get them.

neoism

I feel your pain man. Should have farmed all 30 immediately when I reached Congregation.. 2.2mil SM on NG is suffering when trying to get them.

man I got like 20 in an hour or so on the frog boss.... was surprised really... only need like 4 more or something it that the only way to get the sunlight spear 2 uses :*(

I invaded a guy in Iron Keep who was hiding in the castle itself and tried to backstab me the moment I spawned in front of the double doors. He then proceeded to sprint away and heal each time I landed a single hit on him and to top it off he also had an invisible Monastery Scimitar! He swung his katana one time and just kept spamming the parry over and over again, eventually he got me and then finished me off with a dagger... Tons of fun.

Lots of Mon Scims and AFK players this evening but overall the lag was mostly manageable which is a nice change.

v1perz53

man I got like 20 in an hour or so on the frog boss.... was surprised really... only need like 4 more or something it that the only way to get the sunlight spear 2 uses :*(

AT 38 attunement you get 3 uses! 4 If you use the saint's hood. Honestly, 4 casts of it still absolutely destroyed the game on my faith character, I can't imagine how powerful it was with more casts. I killed
Darklurker
by starting to spam them when he
split
and the
2nd never got to attack once
before he was dead.

But if you want to talk painful, I can't connect to PSN through med school internet (regulated by the hospital so shit is locked down), so I farmed all 30 sunlight medals offline. There are like 10 mobs in the entire game with a maybe 5% chance to drop a medal with the +2 gold ring and item discovery helm/chest. I got my things betwixt bonfire to intensity 14 farming them. Stupid platinum trophy.

Ruuppa

But if you want to talk painful, I can't connect to PSN through med school internet (regulated by the hospital so shit is locked down), so I farmed all 30 sunlight medals offline. There are like 10 mobs in the entire game with a maybe 5% chance to drop a medal with the +2 gold ring and item discovery helm/chest. I got my things betwixt bonfire to intensity 14 farming them. Stupid platinum trophy.

Those damn Overseers in Harvest Valley.. Decked out in item discovery gear, and I got one every five runs. Had 3 in total when I had finished them all out. Good god how horrible. It's just like farming Dragon Scales in DkS1 again.

ElTopo

Banned
Do you guys consider the Souls games to be part of the horror genre? I consider them to be at the very least defined as Horror/Adventure.

Ruuppa

Do you guys consider the Souls games to be part of the horror genre? I consider them to be at the very least defined as Horror/Adventure.

Suspense/Thriller more than Horror. They're not especially scary (aside from certain areas), even with the thick layer of despair and hopelessness.

SoldnerKei

well, DaSI had more creepy areas than DasII IMO, but nothing like horror or such, I never felt psychologically overwhelmed by an enemy to the point I didn't want to face it, something that usually happens in an horror game

Mistel

Banned
Thanks for that, I did as you suggested, took dragonrider out, bumped, END and VIT, now I'm finding Old Dragonrider very tough. I've wasted a few Humanity Effigies, noone to summon except the NPC who I almost beat him with.
I'm loath to use another effigy now though :-(
What are you struggling with regards to the dragon rider?

v1perz53

Thanks for that, I did as you suggested, took dragonrider out, bumped, END and VIT, now I'm finding Old Dragonrider very tough. I've wasted a few Humanity Effigies, noone to summon except the NPC who I almost beat him with.
I'm loath to use another effigy now though :-(

This boss is very susceptible to a rolling strategy. If you roll towards the boss and in the direction of his non weapon hand you can avoid every attack. If I remember right, he has only one or two attack combos and usually waits a fair bit between attacks, so it is a good boss to practice rolling to avoid as well as stamina management to make sure you always have enough to roll twice. For his butt stomp attack you can roll away and for his ranged magic attack you can roll to the side. This is one of those bosses that can seem tough at first, but the more you see and learn his patterns you will eventually be able to fight him without taking any damage at all, and it will feel really good when you do. Key is to not over-extend yourself, kill him 1-2 hits at a time, don't try to get in a whole stamina bar worth of damage at once.

I read your older posts and it sounds like you're talking about NG, not NG+ or anything so I hope I didn't just say a bunch of stuff you already know, don't mean to talk down to you or anything if you know this, just trying to help!

64XDEpv.png

But no is not a horror game but dark themed rpg/action game

AT 38 attunement you get 3 uses! 4 If you use the saint's hood. Honestly, 4 casts of it still absolutely destroyed the game on my faith character, I can't imagine how powerful it was with more casts. I killed
Darklurker
by starting to spam them when he
split
and the
2nd never got to attack once
before he was dead.

It was amazing having 6 casts, I miss it.
With my Faith character I destroyed Darklurker within seconds, he/she didn't even get a chance to begin to split
. Also, I 1v1 Throne Defender/Watcher, each Sunlight Spear took away a quarter of their health this being on NG++, mind you. So I could kill one, bring one to half, then finish him off with GLS. I think I get 4 or 5 now, don't remember. What really hit me hard was the GLS I used to have over 100, now I get 52 or something.

Try putting your summon sign in front of Throne Defender/Watcher, I have a character with around 2.2M SM that got summoned a few times for that fight, and it was like 3 in the morning.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Maigode that is insane. You should take some sort of relaxing pill when Bloodborne arrives so that something crazy doesn't happen to you again :p

it will be worse. trust me.

Guevara

Started a new character last week to finally try out Hexes. Um wow, they are very powerful. Even plain old Dark Orb does more than 400 damage in PvE with an upgraded staff, and I get like 69 uses with three copies of the spell and the hexer hood. Those alone get me through almost every area. Couple questions:

1. Is there a decent light one-handed Dark weapon?

I'm using a +10 mace (as always) and +5 lightning-infused Heide Knight Sword because I like the moveset and with 25 faith the lightning isn't bad.

2. I beat D
arkluker
, any other optional stuff I should do as a dark bro?

3. Any non-hex spells/pyromancy/miracles I should use as a hexer?

Started a new character last week to finally try out Hexes. Um wow, they are very powerful. Even plain old Dark Orb does more than 400 damage in PvE with an upgraded staff, and I get like 69 uses with three copies of the spell and the hexer hood. Those alone get me through almost every area. Couple questions:

I'm using a +10 mace (as always) and +5 lightning-infused Heide Knight Sword because I like the moveset and with 25 faith the lightning isn't bad.

2. I beat D
arkluker

1.- *summoning Storm*
2.- Talk to the covenant leader for your reward and buy the hexes and the dark chime
3.- Lightning spears, healing spells/miracles, Magic weapon, falling, cameleon spells/sorceries, All spells/pyro

Ruuppa

2. I beat D
arkluker

1. Silverblack spear/scythe are immensely appropriate. As are other Reapers and whips. If you want oomph, try the Crypt Blacksword. It's a beast with its S-rank in Dark.
Edit: I cannot read proper good. Umh. Dark infused Sun Sword is neat-o, as is the Puzzling Stone Sword. Puzzle also has really low stat requirements.​
2. If you've gotten all of the stuff he sells that you want, no. You can do Abyss invasions if you have Cracked Red Eye Orbs if that's your thing.
3. Any buff that suits your fancy. Chameleon for funsies. Basically any sorcery/miracle in the game that doesn't scale up in damage with the corresponding stat. You can also have some backup Pyro spells, since the damage for those rises with both Int and Faith. Firewhip is nice for PVP.

ecosse_011172

This boss is very susceptible to a rolling strategy. If you roll towards the boss and in the direction of his non weapon hand you can avoid every attack. If I remember right, he has only one or two attack combos and usually waits a fair bit between attacks, so it is a good boss to practice rolling to avoid as well as stamina management to make sure you always have enough to roll twice. For his butt stomp attack you can roll away and for his ranged magic attack you can roll to the side. This is one of those bosses that can seem tough at first, but the more you see and learn his patterns you will eventually be able to fight him without taking any damage at all, and it will feel really good when you do. Key is to not over-extend yourself, kill him 1-2 hits at a time, don't try to get in a whole stamina bar worth of damage at once.

I read your older posts and it sounds like you're talking about NG, not NG+ or anything so I hope I didn't just say a bunch of stuff you already know, don't mean to talk down to you or anything if you know this, just trying to help!

Thanks very much for your help, it's only my first play through but I have 2 concurrent saves, a HEXDEX Sorcerer Build and this Swordsman build.
I'll be back on him in 30 mins , wish me luck!

Mistel

Banned
1.- *summoning Storm*
Couldn't resist.
You should get the silverblack sickle it's fast and is pretty similar in terms of moveset to hand axe. Other than that a dark infused claymore and drakekeeper sword are another good pair of single handed weapons.

ecosse_011172

Silly question time.

I am Dual Wielding a Homonculas Mace +2 (LH) and a Club (RH)
I have 3 Titanite Shards, I could upgrade my HM to +3 (174 -> 188) or my Club to +2 (105-> 126)

Which is better, the club as the increase in damage is higher or the HM as it's the Left Hand weapon?

Mistel

Banned
Silly question time.

I am Dual Wielding a Homonculas Mace +2 (LH) and a Club (RH)
I have 3 Titanite Shards, I could upgrade my HM to +3 (174 -> 188) or my Club to +2 (105-> 126)

Which is better, the club as the increase in damage is higher or the HM as it's the Left Hand weapon?
The mace is stronger but the club has superior scaling. It's probably best to raise the club to benefit more from the STR scaling it has.

Guevara

1.- *summoning Storm*
2.- Talk to the covenant leader for your reward and buy the hexes and the dark chime
3.- Lightning spears, healing spells/miracles, Magic weapon, falling, cameleon spells/sorceries, All spells/pyro
Thanks, the utility spells like chameleon and falling look useful.
1. Silverblack spear/scythe are immensely appropriate. As are other Reapers and whips. If you want oomph, try the Crypt Blacksword. It's a beast with its S-rank in Dark.
Edit: I cannot read proper good. Umh. Dark infused Sun Sword is neat-o, as is the Puzzling Stone Sword. Puzzle also has really low stat requirements.​
2. If you've gotten all of the stuff he sells that you want, no. You can do Abyss invasions if you have Cracked Red Eye Orbs if that's your thing.
3. Any buff that suits your fancy. Chameleon for funsies. Basically any sorcery/miracle in the game that doesn't scale up in damage with the corresponding stat. You can also have some backup Pyro spells, since the damage for those rises with both Int and Faith. Firewhip is nice for PVP.
I'm going to go hard into Pyro. I beat D
arklurker
without Pyro, then read online that was easy mode. Oh well.
Couldn't resist.

You should get the silverblack sickle it's fast and is pretty similar in terms of moveset to hand axe. Other than that a dark infused claymore and drakekeeper sword are another good pair of single handed weapons.
That sickle looks sweet, I'll hope for the drop.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Did people start to sin more? I'm noticing my Cracked Blues working a lot more often now :). Soon off to Ng+ and infinite orbs, thank god.

Jaeger

Did people start to sin more? I'm noticing my Cracked Blues working a lot more often now :). Soon off to Ng+ and infinite orbs, thank god.

DLC got the activity back on, is all. Expect that to stay a constant as more DLC comes out. Same thing happened when AotA came out.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Nah. Dark fantasy, maybe, and that's mostly Demon's Souls, though both Dark Souls games have some mix of dark fantasy and "standard" fantasy.

By standard I just mean like... non-dark... xD If that makes sense. Like dark fantasy would be the really gloomy places with creepy monsters or demons or just a grimdark mood and atmosphere. New Londo Ruins, Demon Ruins, Tomb of the Giants, the Depths, Blighttown, and in DkS2 the Gutter, Black Gulch, Grave of Saints, Undead Crypt, No Man's Wharf, Drangleic Castle, Lost Bastille... but places like Anor Londo, Ash Lake, Duke's Archives, Heide's Tower, Shrine of Amana, etc. aren't really "dark".

Demon's was almost always dark and gritty though. And Bloodborne will probably take that up to 11. <3

2AdEPT

Soul Apease is a non-hex spell that I find fun inthe areas where there are hollows (most scrub mobs are hollow)....but By far my favourite spell in the series is the Dead again hex....basically you get to explode dead bodies that remain on the ground in your world...not all bodies stay...so most bosses wont die from it, however the best place I found to have fun with it is in the Copse and with the bosses there.

chunk3rvd

Just got this to drop on my 30/30 hexer. Am I better infusing it with dark or leaving it basic and buffing with dark/resonant weapon?

2. I beat D
arkluker

Soul Vortex is an OP spell that can easily obliterate large enemies, like bosses. If that doesn't count, Sunlight Spear is really nice and with Dragon Chime is does insane damage, however you need 50 faith to use the Dragon chime, you can use Skeptic Spice on the Miracle to lower that faith requirement though.

SoldnerKei

I never get those things to work, I am not even able to use them :( I know you have to be on the convenat, but even being a member is no use

I tried a STR- FTH build the other day

50 - 45 respectively, Sunlight Spear and Butcher Knife, but I find the damage output worst than my previous 40 - 40 STR - DEX with Drangleic Sword, I have mixed feelings lol

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I never get those things to work, I am not even able to use them :( I know you have to be on the convenat, but even being a member is no use

I tried a STR- FTH build the other day

50 - 45 respectively, Sunlight Spear and Butcher Knife, but I find the damage output worst than my previous 40 - 40 STR - DEX with Drangleic Sword, I have mixed feelings lol

You have to be human and just keep using them, it seems the search duration is incredibly short for them so if it doesn't find a host to connect to it'll just fail to invade, so just mash'em until it works.

Mistel

Banned
Just got this to drop on my 30/30 hexer. Am I better infusing it with dark or leaving it basic and buffing with dark/resonant weapon?
For the silverblack sickle it gains B dark scaling once infused for dark scaling at max. It's 90/189 damage split with C/D/B scaling. A un infused max upgrade sickle is 160/105 with C/C/C at maximum. It will make better use of 30/30 INT/FTH build to infuse it to gain better scaling.

Don't forget that as a added bonus to them is that the strong attack is shield piercing.

chunk3rvd

For the silverblack sickle it gains B dark scaling once infused for dark scaling at max. It's 90/189 damage split with C/D/B scaling. A un infused max upgrade sickle is 160/105 with C/C/C at maximum. It will make better use of 30/30 INT/FTH build to infuse it to gain better scaling.

Don't forget that as a added bonus to them is that the strong attack is shield piercing.

Can I buff a dark weapon though? Not used any of my darknight stones yet so not sure. If you can't would I be better off keeping it basic? Dark weapon would add 50 dark plus 30% taking it to 160/201 - do I understand that right?

If that's the case I might see if I can get a 2nd to drop. Make one dark for regular use and keep one basic that I can buff for bosses?

I would like to be able to get summoned as a blue phantom and help those that are invaded, I just don't want to risk being invaded while I'm waiting to get summoned. Wish they would allow it to work the same way with soapstones, you can put your soapstone down, then run into the boss room, you will never be invaded and can still get summoned.

SoldnerKei

You have to be human and just keep using them, it seems the search duration is incredibly short for them so if it doesn't find a host to connect to it'll just fail to invade, so just mash'em until it works.

the thing is I can't even use them xD

the "use" command is disabled, weird since I fulfill all the requirements

Mistel

Banned
Can I buff a dark weapon though? Not used any of my darknight stones yet so not sure. If you can't would I be better off keeping it basic? Dark weapon would add 50 dark plus 30% taking it to 160/201 - do I understand that right?

If that's the case I might see if I can get a 2nd to drop. Make one dark for regular use and keep one basic that I can buff for bosses?
You can infuse it and still buff it with dark weapon. If you are undecided just keep in normal and buff it as and when you want to.

onionfrog

Man they messed with Miracles something fierce since I last played.
Lightning Spear only has 3 casts now...
;_;

Had to start a new character since I lost all my saves on PC due to a corrupt windows installation.
Lost my SL1 save that was all the way up to the Shrine of Amana. I don't know if I've got the patience to re-do that one.

Man they messed with Miracles something fierce since I last played.
Lightning Spear only has 3 casts now...
;_;

Had to start a new character since I lost all my saves on PC due to a corrupt windows installation.
Lost my SL1 save that was all the way up to the Shrine of Amana. I don't know if I've got the patience to re-do that one.

I thought steam saved your characters? That sucks. Also yeah, massive update which they royally screwed up on, it was supposed to decrease casts and up the damage scaling to better fit the scaling stats. They decreased stats and decreased damage. GG no RE. I went from roughly 102 GLS to only 56 :(.

onionfrog

I thought steam saved your characters? That sucks. Also yeah, massive update which they royally screwed up on, it was supposed to decrease casts and up the damage scaling to better fit the scaling stats. They decreased stats and decreased damage. GG no RE. I went from roughly 102 GLS to only 56 :(.
Its kinda ridiculous, since Dark Souls 1 has cloud saves, and I was able to get my saves back there.

I get nerfing great lightning spear and sunlight spear, since they both make bosses trivial. But did the regular lightning spear really need to be reduced to 3 casts? Reducing it to 5 or 6 would have been fine.

I'm most upset about the SL1 run though. 30 hours worth of frustrating progress lost there.
The other saves aren't too big a deal, since I'm not big into PVP or anything.

Its kinda ridiculous, since Dark Souls 1 has cloud saves, and I was able to get my saves back there.

I get nerfing great lightning spear and sunlight spear, since they both make bosses trivial. But did the regular lightning spear really need to be reduced to 3 casts? Reducing it to 5 or 6 would have been fine.

I'm most upset about the SL1 run though. 30 hours worth of frustrating progress lost there.
The other saves aren't too big a deal, since I'm not big into PVP or anything.

They want too try and make people play the clerics the way they wanted them to be played, i.e hybrid instead of spell casters. I find nerfing it to that extent makes the class nearly unplayable though, I agree 5 or 6 would have been much more acceptable.

Top Bottom