• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

I would like to be able to get summoned as a blue phantom and help those that are invaded, I just don't want to risk being invaded while I'm waiting to get summoned. Wish they would allow it to work the same way with soapstones, you can put your soapstone down, then run into the boss room, you will never be invaded and can still get summoned.

The covenant would work a lot better if it summoned you to the world of anyone getting invaded, not just Way of Blue players.

The covenant would work a lot better if it summoned you to the world of anyone getting invaded, not just Way of Blue players.

While that is true, some people would rather not get help when they invade, the covenant is there for new players and those who don't like invasions very much. You no longer have to wear the ring for the covenant to get help though, or was it always like that?

v1perz53

Its kinda ridiculous, since Dark Souls 1 has cloud saves, and I was able to get my saves back there.

I get nerfing great lightning spear and sunlight spear, since they both make bosses trivial. But did the regular lightning spear really need to be reduced to 3 casts? Reducing it to 5 or 6 would have been fine.

I'm most upset about the SL1 run though. 30 hours worth of frustrating progress lost there.
The other saves aren't too big a deal, since I'm not big into PVP or anything.

My thoughts on the nerf was that they wanted to gate your ability to spam spears in PvE (while also nerfing their use in PvP). You can eventually get more casts by equipping more spells, but early in the game you can only get one. When you are farther into the game and lightning spear is less OP, you can find/buy more casts. The same thing with greater lightning spear, when you first get it and it is super strong you have limited casts, but by the end of the game you can have like 12 casts equipping it 3 times. And you will have the attunement slots to equip tons of spells because you want the cast speed and use increases from it. I think it mostly hurts hex builds, because adding in one equip of spears used to be a lot more potent than it was.

Speaking of hexes, I've always wanted to try a hex build, but I cannot bring myself to use any of the spells that cost souls. I typically really enjoy levelling up and buying new stuff, so losing even a small amount of souls every cast just makes me feel bad, can't seem to get over it. Can you have a decent hex build without using any of those spells?

v1perz53

You can use most of the hexes without sacrificing souls the last dlc added a hex version of soul greatsword, dark greatsword if that floats your boat.

That sounds really cool, I had a lot of fun with soul greatsword. My major question with the soul-costing hexes was about relative power I guess. Since you can't really look up damage numbers for spells without using them, I was making sure it wasn't like all the weak hexes were the non-soul costing ones, and all the stronger later ones were the ones that ate souls, but it doesn't seem to be the case. Still meaning to do a Champion's Covenant playthrough, maybe I'll do that on a hexer.

So I'm just fighting
Nashandra
again...who summons
Velstadt
...well at least her attacks are different. I take it this fight is meant to be co-oped. Is it worth trying to solo?

Guevara

That sounds really cool, I had a lot of fun with soul greatsword. My major question with the soul-costing hexes was about relative power I guess. Since you can't really look up damage numbers for spells without using them, I was making sure it wasn't like all the weak hexes were the non-soul costing ones, and all the stronger later ones were the ones that ate souls, but it doesn't seem to be the case. Still meaning to do a Champion's Covenant playthrough, maybe I'll do that on a hexer.

Dark Orb is surprisingly decent and doesn't use souls. Plus you can get 3 copies (60+ uses) pretty quickly in new game.

Mistel

Banned
My major question with the soul-costing hexes was about relative power I guess. Since you can't really look up damage numbers for spells without using them, I was making sure it wasn't like all the weak hexes were the non-soul costing ones, and all the stronger later ones were the ones that ate souls, but it doesn't seem to be the case
The ones that consume souls can be used without them but they're considerably weaker than the are with them. Climax takes all your souls so best be careful about that one.
So I'm just fighting
Nashandra
again...who summons
Velstadt
...well at least her attacks are different. I take it this fight is meant to be co-oped. Is it worth trying to solo?
You can do it solo it really depend on luck of the draw with summons that's mostly it. Strike damage is your best bet for her.

The ones that consume souls can be used without them but they're considerably weaker than the are with them. Climax takes all your souls so best be careful about that one.

You can do it solo it really depend on luck of the draw with summons that's mostly it. Strike damage is your best bet for her.

Whether I stick with it solo or not depends on one thing:
does Velstadt respawn if I kill him? Can I turn it into a one-on-one fight?

Mistel

Banned
It's possible for him to be summoned again. Or even another summon with him there at the same time. You can turn it into one on one but it's just a matter of time before she summons again.

So I'm just fighting
Nashandra
again...who summons
Velstadt

It depends how good you are about kiting enemies. easy if she keeps summoning Velstad but hard if she summon the squeletons

Her summons are infinite, I saw three Velstads summons once since the host and another sunbro keep killing her summons ignoring her.

This fight would be great if each summoning happened once, or if they didn't start overlapping each other.

Not seeing many people put their sign down for this fight, thought it'd be a co-op hotspot. What SL is everyone when they attempt this fight?

v1perz53

Wait what? Summoning? I did that fight in NG, NG+ and NG++ and she never summoned anything. Is it random, only on higher NG cycles or something else? Seems strange that I could have never seen it. Or does she
come back in DLC
and thats what is being talked about? Haven't played it yet.

Wait what? Summoning? I did that fight in NG, NG+ and NG++ and she never summoned anything. Is it random, only on higher NG cycles or something else? Seems strange that I could have never seen it. Or does she
come back in DLC
and thats what is being talked about? Haven't played it yet.

lol, sorry, I should have been more clear that I'm talking about
Elena, Squalid Queen
in the DLC who is a pallette swap of
Nashandra
. The latter definitely never summons anything.

This fight would be great if each summoning happened once, or if they didn't start overlapping each other.

Not seeing many people put their sign down for this fight, thought it'd be a co-op hotspot. What SL is everyone when they attempt this fight?

There is a rare summon that consist of summoning
the Majula's piglets

SoldnerKei

You sure you didn't confuse the Way of Blue with the Blue Sentinels covenant?

I did at first xD
but then I went back to the WoB covenant

This might seem silly but are you in the covenant and using them in a PvP area?

actually one dude invaded me with one, so I checked if I could use it but still nothing, dunno is sinning makes them unusable, thou I only have sinned by invading other players

Finally solo'd
Elana
on my 7th or 8th try. She was merciful and didn't summon any more skeletons after
Velstadt
. I would have been a goner otherwise. The key to that fight in my experience seems to be
laying into her as much as possible before she summons anything, getting her to about half health before she summons her skeletons. If you can do that you should be able to kill her before her third summoning.

Finally solo'd
Elana
on my 7th or 8th try. She was merciful and didn't summon any more skeletons after
Velstadt
. I would have been a goner otherwise. The key to that fight in my experience seems to be
laying into her as much as possible before she summons anything, getting her to about half health before she summons her skeletons. If you can do that you should be able to kill her before her third summoning.

Good work now you can rest for the next bo....oh...

SoldnerKei

There is a rare summon that consist of summoning
the Majula's piglets

yup, she did it to me lol

I didn't kill them, so she didn't summon anything else, I guess the summoning % for them is pretty low, since I have helped quite a bunch with that boss and it has never summon those for the host

Finally solo'd
Elana
Velstadt

congrats, to me the key was two-handing, I needed damage output... thou the special summon played a big factor to beat that boss

Didnt noticed killing
lycia
makes you a sinner, such misunderstood character.
damn... and I killed her yesterday... never fought her on NG, got her set with the 30 FTH requirement but since she was an asshole I thought it was fitting to finish her off,,, now I gotta hit the church

Good work now you can rest for the next bo....oh...

Had a go at the next one before calling it a night just to see what's up. I died, but I did a lot better than my first attempt against
Elana
. I can tell this boss is going to be easier.

congrats, to me the key was two-handing, I needed damage output... thou the special summon played a big factor to beat that boss

Same. The fight got a lot more manageable when I threw caution to the wind and just kited everything while 2-handing. Turtling in that fight will get you killed eventually.

Didnt noticed killing
lycia
makes you a sinner, such misunderstood character.

How so? I always thought it was weird that she gave you sin, but she just always seemed like a greedy soul glutton to me.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I did at first xD
but then I went back to the WoB covenant

actually one dude invaded me with one, so I checked if I could use it but still nothing, dunno is sinning makes them unusable, thou I only have sinned by invading other players

You gotta be a Blue Sentinel to use the cracked blue eye orbs. Being in the Way of Blue (And wearing the ring) auto-summons blue phantoms to aid you when reds invade :p

Trakan

Don't waste your time with the soul costing spells. They were nerfed to hell. Resonant Soul just barely outdamages Dark Orb, takes 2 slots and you get way less castings. Great Resonant Soul does better damage, but again 2 slots and less castings just makes Dark Orb better. Resonant Weapon now does comparable damage to Dark Weapon, and takes up 1 more slot. They also nerfed the Abyss ring. I don't know what the fuck they were thinking.

SoldnerKei

You gotta be a Blue Sentinel to use the cracked blue eye orbs. Being in the Way of Blue (And wearing the ring) auto-summons blue phantoms to aid you when reds invade :p

damn, it's just to many blue covenants for me to handle!! lol

gotta check that out, thanks for the clarification

Don't waste your time with the soul costing spells. They were nerfed to hell. Resonant Soul just barely outdamages Dark Orb, takes 2 slots and you get way less castings. Great Resonant Soul does better damage, but again 2 slots and less castings just makes Dark Orb better. Resonant Weapon now does comparable damage to Dark Weapon, and takes up 1 more slot. They also nerfed the Abyss ring. I don't know what the fuck they were thinking.

The only thing I would disagree with is GRS. In NG+ with a bunch of attunement slots, I liked the extra damage it gave over Dark Orb for bosses. My friend who plays mage more than I do stuck with Dark Orb, but I think GRS is worth trying out at higher levels.

v1perz53

Her being a con artist maybe?

Con artist with the "miracles" gate, thief with soothing sunlight, and possibly (likely) an invader multiple times. Don't really understand why you get sin for killing her, I don't think you ever got sin for killing Lautrec, even before he did anything bad. Unless kicking him off the edge didn't count as you actually killing him or something.

I always really enjoy these types of characters in Souls games, whose story is much deeper than you know. A typical player can go through the whole game never knowing Licia is anything but a nice disciple of miracles (though her dialogue makes it more obvious then most). Similarly, someone could go through all of DkS 1 without ever seeing anything wrong with Petrous. But digging deeper and reading some item descriptions gives you a different side to these characters.

Oh god I'm so pissed right now. I accidentally killed the
repair tree
three times (old whip too strong) and now it stopped respawning. Fucking bullshit.

How so? I always thought it was weird that she gave you sin, but she just always seemed like a greedy soul glutton to me.

Lycia is a miracle collector and the priest guys are still assholes in that world so she had to stole the rarest miracles from them (and you). I still killed her with my main cuz she was stoling souls from me.

Too bad her dialogue is pretty obvious about her nature compared to Petrus and Patches

v1perz53

Lycia is a miracle collector and the priest guys are still assholes in that world so she had to stole the rarest miracles from them (and you). I still killed her with my main cuz she was stoling souls from me.

Too bad her dialogue is pretty obvious about her nature compared to Petrus and Patches

I would give her the benefit of the doubt and say she was misunderstood if she didn't
invade and try to kill me multiple times
. And yes, I know there are arguments that it isn't her, but the fact that the
equipment is identical
and that she says
now I can finish you off
when you use the cracked eye makes me pretty confident it is her.

Steal from a corrupt church? I can forgive you. Charge money to open a path under false pretenses? I can forgive as well. But
invade and try to kill me
, you are a bad person and I feel no remorse in killing you.

I would give her the benefit of the doubt and say she was misunderstood if she didn't
invade and try to kill me multiple times
. And yes, I know there are arguments that it isn't her, but the fact that the
equipment is identical
and that she says
now I can finish you off
when you use the cracked eye makes me pretty confident it is her.

Steal from a corrupt church? I can forgive you. Charge money to open a path under false pretenses? I can forgive as well. But
invade and try to kill me
, you are a bad person and I feel no remorse in killing you.

She is
the invader
since the orb recognized her inmediately after the
second invasion
and the orb only reacts when you find your aggressor.

That invasion character is funny because of ambiguous title the invader gets is silly since the invasion have to show the real name of the invader not the invader's pseudo name

lordy88

Hey all,

I beat Dark Souls 1 in January, got myself a PS3 and just finished Demon's Souls.

Now I'm pumped to start Dark Souls 2 tonight (DS1 was much better than DeS), and I wanted to know if I should download any mods for it like I did with Dark Souls 1 (high res, texture packs, DSfix, etc.)

Can't wait to play it! I apologize if you have answered this question somewher eelse in this thread, but I'm making sure I don't read any posts in case I make get spoiled in some way.

ObbyDent

Banned
Hey all,

I beat Dark Souls 1 in January, got myself a PS3 and just finished Demon's Souls.

Now I'm pumped to start Dark Souls 2 tonight (DS1 was much better than DeS), and I wanted to know if I should download any mods for it like I did with Dark Souls 1 (high res, texture packs, DSfix, etc.)

Can't wait to play it! I apologize if you have answered this question somewher eelse in this thread, but I'm making sure I don't read any posts in case I make get spoiled in some way.

There are some graphics mods you can do. Though I'm not sure they are exactly "mods".

I'm obviously not a PC gamer. xD

Ruuppa

Hey all,

You'll need GeDoSaTo for the texture mods, so grab that. It also allows for prettier graphics and other swanky stuff.
Of course there are Rumours (note the capital R) that using it will get you either softbanned or VAC banned (if they ever implement that again). But these rumours are in the same category of "Trading items with other players will get you banned!", so yeah.

Metacap is nice to have, if you're into PVP. There are some guys here who'll swear up and down on it, but I haven't taken the plunge myself.

lordy88

You'll need GeDoSaTo for the texture mods, so grab that. It also allows for prettier graphics and other swanky stuff.
Of course there are Rumours (note the capital R) that using it will get you either softbanned or VAC banned (if they ever implement that again). But these rumours are in the same category of "Trading items with other players will get you banned!", so yeah.

Metacap is nice to have, if you're into PVP. There are some guys here who'll swear up and down on it, but I haven't taken the plunge myself.

Awesome, thanks!

Not in PvP at all. I play the single player campaign with a friend of mine. We refuse to use summoning and dislike when we get invaded, I know we're weird.

Quick question: Do I just follow the readme in the ZIP file and I'm good to go?

Ruuppa

Awesome, thanks!

Not in PvP at all. I play the single player campaign with a friend of mine. We refuse to use summoning and dislike when we get invaded, I know we're weird.

Quick question: Do I just follow the readme in the ZIP file and I'm good to go?

I hope you both bought the Name-Engraved Ring. It is the absolute best item in the game for co-opping with friends.

And yes, just follow the instructions and you can't do much wrong. If it screws something up, just remove it.

lordy88

I hope you both bought the Name-Engraved Ring. It is the absolute best item in the game for co-opping with friends.

And yes, just follow the instructions and you can't do much wrong. If it screws something up, just remove it.

Not co-op, just one of us plays while the other watches, but thanks for the suggestion. Sounds boring, but it's incredibly fun. We have way too many inside jokes and traditions just from the first two games alone.

It's turned into a sort of therapy for us to meet about once a week and play.

Mistel

Banned
My whips and rings break a lot in PVP so I need to waste a lot of souls on repair costs. I was really happy about the stupid tree. XD (I am already over it and will use a bonfire ascetic if I have to)
Bracing knuckle rings are you friend if you're not already using them.

v1perz53

My whips and rings break a lot in PVP so I need to waste a lot of souls on repair costs. I was really happy about the stupid tree. XD (I am already over it and will use a bonfire ascetic if I have to)

I thought the tree only reset the durability of partially used items like resting at a bonfire does, but didn't actually repair broken items? If it actually repairs straight broken items then it is useful, but that isn't how I understood it to work. Hope I'm wrong on this one!

Mistel

Banned
I thought the tree only reset the durability of partially used items like resting at a bonfire does, but didn't actually repair broken items? If it actually repairs straight broken items then it is useful, but that isn't how I understood it to work. Hope I'm wrong on this one!
Broken items will be repaired by the tree when you whip it.

neoism

I wish I could get GeDoSaTo working with my pc and not have the game run like dogshit.... I would like to use some of the armor "mods" but the game just runs too fucking good by itself with only sweetfx... I wouldn't even want to down-sample it either.. :/ owell hopefully Durante well keep makin it better and better

Top Bottom