• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

DemiMatt

Question . . . On NG+ After you beat Duke's Dear Freya . . ..
there is this new area with a shrine afterwards
, what is the deal with it?

Mistel

Banned
Can't waste a slot on it unfortunately.
Given your problem it seems like an ideal solution. No?
Unlimited protection rings
Considering you can get 5 rings in a first playthrough more if you use ascetics pretty much so.
Question . . . On NG+ After you beat Duke's Dear Freya . . ..
there is this new area with a shrine afterwards
, what is the deal with it?
Snake shrine thingy? That's a dlc area portal if so.

DemiMatt

Snake shrine thingy? That's a dlc area portal if so.

Ohhhhhhhh. Ok cool, thank you!

Also whenever I tried to farm Freya w/ Bonfire Aesthetics, it wouldn't work because the Dragon Stone thing appeared, is there a point in the game from which you can't farm her? or a point where it gets activated? Thanks!

v1perz53

And they don't do that for us Blue Sentinels? I'd rather use that ring spot for something else :eek:

Well, I would think Blue Sentinels would like to be able to choose when they do or do not get summoned without having to abandon the covenant. Like if you are doing something PvE wise and would rather not get interrupted. Way of the Blue members would never really not want help when they are invaded, or they would be in a different covenant.

Though I agree I wish there was a way to do it without taking up ring slots..

Mistel

Banned

Also whenever I tried to farm Freya w/ Bonfire Aesthetics, it wouldn't work because the Dragon Stone thing appeared, is there a point in the game from which you can't farm her? or a point where it gets activated? Thanks!
You probably used an ascetic on the wrong bonfire then. You needed to use it at the lower brightstone bonfire for her to respawn.

neoism

goddamn darklurker I hate you... gotta love it I thought about DS2 allday at work I finally start to play it and get fucked by the shittiest deaths do you have to kill those 6 enemies every time... I was going to just run past but at leat you get bonfire ascetics, then I give up and go kill the two watchers and get ownt by Nashandra -________- time fo a break
thought I "got Guud" but I guess not..

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Weird, it's not there for me, is the second DLC gonna be locked behind NG+ or something? :lol

Speaking of GeDoSaTo, I am trying to use CleanUI on PC without all the fancy other stuff (I prefer to do the downsampling on driver level). Any way to tell GeDoSaTo to only do the texture modding and ignore the rest? My performance suddenly turned to crap with it activated. (And I always downsample 3200x1800 @60fps)

Given your problem it seems like an ideal solution. No?

No, the whips degrade ridiculously fast, so they'd probably still break (and fixing them is not expensive). On the other hand the Ring OLP will still break, so it really would not help me much.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
PC players, is there a decent HBAO+ bit for this game yet? I remember there being a few around launch but they were all a bit buggy.

Just a heads up but if you're using GeDo with it, driver SSAO won't be applied unfortunately.

I wish I could get GeDoSaTo working with my pc and not have the game run like dogshit.... I would like to use some of the armor "mods" but the game just runs too fucking good by itself with only sweetfx... I wouldn't even want to down-sample it either.. :/ owell hopefully Durante well keep makin it better and better

Speaking of GeDoSaTo, I am trying to use CleanUI on PC without all the fancy other stuff (I prefer to do the downsampling on driver level). Any way to tell GeDoSaTo to only do the texture modding and ignore the rest? My performance suddenly turned to crap with it activated. (And I always downsample 3200x1800 @60fps)

No, the whips degrade ridiculously fast, so they'd probably still break (and fixing them is not expensive). On the other hand the Ring OLP will still break, so it really would not help me much.

Assuming you set it up appropriately, GeDo should have nearly exact 0 performance hit if you're only using it for texture replacement.

Disable bloom, disable SSAO, disable DoF, disable PostProcessing, disable AA, enable texture override.

DoF, Bloom, SSAO, AA, and PostProcessing is the order from most demanding to least demanding. I do think the postprocessing looks good and has a small impact, I do recommend using it if you have the GPu overhead for it.

If you aren't downsampling, you might want to disable the sharpening the PostProcessing does, but aside from that the way it affects colors looks really good.

No one around to coop with my new NG character. Sucks.

Right now the NG bosses coop zones are

The pursuer (second encounter)
Old Dragonslayer
The sinner (before taking the elevator or right on the boss door)
Smelter Demon
Iron King
The Rotten
Dual Dragon riders bros

----

DLC
Queen
Sinh
Ganksquad (on the tombstones area right after the bonfire)

-----

Small soapstone coop

Forest of giants
Hunstman corpse
Shaded woods
Bastille
Shulva (DLC)

------

PvP

------

Iron keep bridge (First bonfire)
Shulva first area (DLC)
The black gultch (run run forest)

lordy88

Okay, so I just played Dark Soul 2 for the first time and spent a about 2 1/2 hours getting acclimated to the game. Here are my quick thoughts:

- I couldn't find the Estus Flask until the very end of my play session. I had already encountered Orstein and the Dragonrider (wrong name maybe?), and explored the other side up to the fire breathing tunnel before sitting down with my friend and saying "we must have missed it". We even got an upgrade for it before even having one! Why is that woman so hard to find?

- I'm loving a lot of the subtle added features. Durability bars under items (my Axe broke in a few moments, any reason it seems to have sped up in this game? Also, do bonfires automatically repair items now?), Better inventory management, the ability to spend multiple souls at once, etc.

- When I first got the Estus Flask, I instantly upgraded it, and it only has two uses available. Is this consistently upgraded during the game?

- I noticed that my health bar max gets lower every time I die, unless I use a Human Effigy (or I assume if I kill a boss). Is there a limit to how much it goes down? Is there a way to reverse the effect outside of the two solutions I already stated?

Loving the game, it looks pretty and I'm digging the exploration a lot so far. Can't wait to continue!

v1perz53

Questions

I'll try to answer your questions in order.

- Yea, it is super annoying, there really is nothing obvious pointing to the emerald herald when you first reach Majula. I only found it because I had 3000 souls and wanted to level, and I figured someone in that town had to let me.

- Durability is different now than in DkS 1. It isn't as much of a slow trickle down that is more or less meaningless. Durability goes down fast, but bonfires reset it to full. Unless you let the durability go to 0, at which point an item breaks, and you have to pay to repair it. Keep some spare weapons that are partially upgraded with you, or stock repair powder. Known bug is that durability decays faster for weapons on the PC version, so that kind of sucks.

- Yea, you find ways to upgrade how much it heals and how many uses you have throughout the game. Max is 12 uses, +5 flask. Stock up on them lifegems!

- You can't go below 50% (40%? around half) max HP. There is a ring that makes you lose less HP from each death and I think sets the limit to 80% max HP, but takes up a ring slot. You actually might have it already given what you said you've explored. You can equip it after the fact and it will "fix" your HP loss to be correct, so you can have another ring on and put it on if you die a few times. I actually don't think killing a boss makes you human like it did in Demon's Souls, you can only do it with effigies or I think through some multiplayer stuff.

Okay, so I just played Dark Soul 2 for the first time and spent a about 2 1/2 hours getting acclimated to the game. Here are my quick thoughts:

- I couldn't find the Estus Flask until the very end of my play session. I had already encountered Orstein and the Dragonrider (wrong name maybe?), and explored the other side up to the fire breathing tunnel before sitting down with my friend and saying "we must have missed it". We even got an upgrade for it before even having one! Why is that woman so hard to find?

- I'm loving a lot of the subtle added features. Durability bars under items (my Axe broke in a few moments, any reason it seems to have sped up in this game? Also, do bonfires automatically repair items now?), Better inventory management, the ability to spend multiple souls at once, etc.

- When I first got the Estus Flask, I instantly upgraded it, and it only has two uses available. Is this consistently upgraded during the game?

- I noticed that my health bar max gets lower every time I die, unless I use a Human Effigy (or I assume if I kill a boss). Is there a limit to how much it goes down? Is there a way to reverse the effect outside of the two solutions I already stated?

Loving the game, it looks pretty and I'm digging the exploration a lot so far. Can't wait to continue!

You should talk to the majula NPC more, Majula is the central hub of your adventure keep visit them since they are the only one who can sells you repairs, upgrades,armor and some other consumables

The repair powder is still there but yeah resting repairs your items but not fix the broken ones

Yes, there is a upgrade each zone you visit (13 shards but max out with 12 shards)

I think 40% of your health penalty is max health penalty (less penalty if you have the binding ring)

TnK

Can I use gedosato for applying post processing mods like ENB? Having the game be really close is nice, and wouldn't want to lose it, but I also would really like to down sample instead of using FXAA.

Also, has there been a fix for the weapon durability @ 60 FPS?

Next DLC is coming this month on the 23rd, and the other at the 23rd of sept correct?

I'll try to answer your questions in order.

- Yea, it is super annoying, there really is nothing obvious pointing to the emerald herald when you first reach Majula. I only found it because I had 3000 souls and wanted to level, and I figured someone in that town had to let me.

- Durability is different now than in DkS 1. It isn't as much of a slow trickle down that is more or less meaningless. Durability goes down fast, but bonfires reset it to full. Unless you let the durability go to 0, at which point an item breaks, and you have to pay to repair it. Keep some spare weapons that are partially upgraded with you, or stock repair powder. Known bug is that durability decays faster for weapons on the PC version, so that kind of sucks.

- Yea, you find ways to upgrade how much it heals and how many uses you have throughout the game. Max is 12 uses, +5 flask. Stock up on them lifegems!

- You can't go below 50% (40%? around half) max HP. There is a ring that makes you lose less HP from each death and I think sets the limit to 80% max HP, but takes up a ring slot. You actually might have it already given what you said you've explored. You can equip it after the fact and it will "fix" your HP loss to be correct, so you can have another ring on and put it on if you die a few times. I actually don't think killing a boss makes you human like it did in Demon's Souls, you can only do it with effigies or I think through some multiplayer stuff.

It's 50% of your max health, and with the multiplayer if you successfully help a host beat the boss. Also, I think if you use Small White Soapstone and your session ends without you or the host dying it still counts as duty fulfilled, and thus you get humanity back. It's a quick way to get humanity, since you have like 5 or so minutes using Small White Soapstone then you get sent back to your world. Aside from that everything looks good :p.

Thanks a lot for the info!

A bit annoying to hear about the durability changes and the health situation, but glad to have the knowledge so I can prepare/level/fight with it in mind.

Some weapons have less durability than others and some drains their durability by using the strong attack with both hands so in the end you have to choose wisely how to use your weapon.

Guevara

What's your SM? A great place to co-op from 300k-1M SM is Old Iron King. I kept getting summoned there til I reached around 1M.
1.7M, I guess that is high? I'm right after Shrine of Amana. I've only co-oped about 30 times and I haven't been grinding.
Right now the NG bosses coop zones are
Thanks very much, I tried a number of these areas. I only really had luck at The Rotten but that was very active. The new DLC zones still feel dead, with the exception of Q
ueen Elana
. I don't know if I'm too high or too low.

Guevara

Turns out the new DLC end boss
(Dragon)
was easier for me solo than with the NPC summons. I ended up using no shield, no magic, just two handing a Heide Knight Sword +10 Lightning and the new ring
(Lightning Clutch Ring) to boost my damage.

By playing solo
you can keep very close to his back legs/tail and stay very aggressive. That also prevents most of his flying and toxic fire fuckery. It still took me a few tries but it was a very fun fight.

1.7M, I guess that is high? I'm right after Shrine of Amana. I've only co-oped about 30 times and I haven't been grinding.

Thanks very much, I tried a number of these areas. I only really had luck at The Rotten but that was very active. The new DLC zones still feel dead, with the exception of Q
ueen Elana

Elana
is pretty active, just put your summon sign and refresh it every 5 mins.

Turns out the new DLC end boss
(Dragon)
was easier for me solo than with the NPC summons. I ended up using no shield, no magic, just two handing a Heide Knight Sword +10 Lightning and the new ring
(Lightning Clutch Ring) to boost my damage.

By playing solo
you can keep very close to his back legs/tail and stay very aggressive. That also prevents most of his flying and toxic fire fuckery. It still took me a few tries but it was a very fun fight.

congratz of beating him, he is the easiest compared to
Elana and the ganksquad

Guevara

Elana
is pretty active, just put your summon sign and refresh it every 5 mins.

congratz of beating him, he is the easiest compared to
Elana and the ganksquad

Thanks, she gave me no trouble at all on both my current NG run and my NG++ run previously.
Gank squad
I just don't care for all the much. Pretty much have to
bring two human summons. which I think is questionable game design.

Ruuppa

Thanks, she gave me no trouble at all on both my current NG run and my NG++ run previously.
Gank squad
I just don't care for all the much. Pretty much have to
bring two human summons. which I think is questionable game design.

The
Ganksquad
reminds me of Ornstein & Smough from DkS1: Pretty much the first fight where summons aren't optional for most players. The
Ganksquad
is the same, but it applies for veteran players as well. It's a real sucky boss if you don't summon anyone, that I agree with. Haven't tried with the two NPC summons since they're right near the start instead of next to the fogdoor.
And considering NPCs propensity to get afflicted by statuespit (goddammit Lucatiel), they'll probably be stone before they get down.

Mogwai

The
Ganksquad
reminds me of Ornstein & Smough from DkS1: Pretty much the first fight where summons aren't optional for most players. The
Ganksquad
is the same, but it applies for veteran players as well. It's a real sucky boss if you don't summon anyone, that I agree with. Haven't tried with the two NPC summons since they're right near the start instead of next to the fogdoor.
And considering NPCs propensity to get afflicted by statuespit (goddammit Lucatiel), they'll probably be stone before they get down.

The DkS2 devs just dont understand that boss fights with more enemies doesn't necessarily mean fun and challenging gameplay. Compare it to Artorias of the Abyss. All single mob boss fights that were done extremely well.

It's fine with boss fights that are tuned for multiplayer. But when the fight is an indisputable pain in the ass playing it solo it's a problem.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Unable to kill the
Smelter Demon
in Iron Keep, I rerolled my run again (new char).

Milestone 1 - SunBro, SM at 89K
914C46DE0D474ADA39AF6FB1E76BCAA9FA5DDD6D

Milestone 2 - Iron Keep, SM at 140K
1D2A3032D448B6645B9C2B47C23CF861E16C9E0E

Summoned Lucatiel and killed the
Smelter Demon
, with my Rapier+3/4 with Lightning Resin.

ElTopo

Banned
By playing solo

Hitting his tail stuns him briefly. And you can also cut off his tail and that stuns him for a longer period. You don't get a sword by doing this though.

Just a heads up but if you're using GeDo with it, driver SSAO won't be applied unfortunately.

Assuming you set it up appropriately, GeDo should have nearly exact 0 performance hit if you're only using it for texture replacement.

Disable bloom, disable SSAO, disable DoF, disable PostProcessing, disable AA, enable texture override.

DoF, Bloom, SSAO, AA, and PostProcessing is the order from most demanding to least demanding. I do think the postprocessing looks good and has a small impact, I do recommend using it if you have the GPu overhead for it.

If you aren't downsampling, you might want to disable the sharpening the PostProcessing does, but aside from that the way it affects colors looks really good.

Thank you, I'll give it a try

edit: Ok, making some progress.
One more question on this, what is the benefit of using SSAO (or AA for that matter) in GeDoSaTo? The game already has it, no?
Will it overwrite the game version? (I get that SMAA will probably look better than the game AA)

ueen Elana

At 1.7M I'd try putting a summon sign down for throne Defender/Watcher. That place is a summon hotspot because of how many people really hate that fight.

Is there any consensus on what the best PvE builds are now that miracles/lightning have been nerfed? I think I'm going to start a new character for Crown of the Old Iron King.

I respecced my NG++ character to use the Crypt Blacksword for the last DLC, and it was still a major pain in my ass lol. Maybe I just need to git gud.

Is there any consensus on what the best PvE builds are now that miracles/lightning have been nerfed? I think I'm going to start a new character for Crown of the Old Iron King.

I respecced my NG++ character to use the Great Darksword for the last DLC, and it was still a major pain in my ass lol. Maybe I just need to git gud.

If you are caster pyro and hexes are a go right now.

Mistel

Banned
I think I see a pattern here ;)

I'm thinking about trying str/fth/int again, but in NG. Since I wont have access to the Crypt Blacksword, is there another early/mid game weapon that scales well with fth/int?
You just need to get the dull ember to access infusions and make a weapon into dark scaling weapon.

The earliest ones are halberds and a spear off of the top of my head. Roaring halberd from the three skeleton kings, silverblack spear at earthen peak from grave wardens, and a dark scythe in shaded woods.

Beat
the trio
solo on my first try. I was really dreading this fight the way people were talking about it but I personally thought
Notshandra
was a lot harder. And it's a good thing too, because the path leading there was so annoying I doubt I'd even attempt it again unless I summoned someone.

Basically I just
kited everyone around the path to your left when you enter the battle and took potshots at anyone who got separated from the group. I was able to separate them fairly easily by jumping into the pool and running back to the top, a couple of them would usually hop in after me and have to climb out so I'd be alone with the sniper for a second. Repeat that whole process for scimitar guy. When I was finally alone with Havel I just got him with my Bow of Want - every shot stunned him, so it was easy to lay into him.

You know people hate on
the trio
a lot, some I'd agree with and some I wouldn't, but I think my least favorite thing about them is how out of place they are. Most bosses feel like they fit in the world. You get their soul and you can read about who or what they were, but these guys just seem totally random. It didn't even make sense to find them where you did. Is there any lore I'm missing that hints at who these people were?

Beat
the trio
solo on my first try. I was really dreading this fight the way people were talking about it but I personally thought
Notshandra
was a lot harder. And it's a good thing too, because the path leading there was so annoying I doubt I'd even attempt it again unless I summoned someone.

Basically I just
kited everyone around the path to your left when you enter the battle and took potshots at anyone who got separated from the group. I was able to separate them fairly easily by jumping into the pool and running back to the top, a couple of them would usually hop in after me and have to climb out so I'd be alone with the sniper for a second. Repeat that whole process for scimitar guy. When I was finally alone with Havel I just got him with my Bow of Want - every shot stunned him, so it was easy to lay into him.

You know people hate on
the trio
a lot, some I'd agree with and some I wouldn't, but I think my least favorite thing about them is how out of place they are. Most bosses feel like they fit in the world. You get their soul and you can read about who or what they were, but these guys just seem totally random. It didn't even make sense to find them where you did. Is there any lore I'm missing that hints at who these people were?

I think they're meant to be people who ransacked the Sunken Kingdom before you arrived. All those open chests you find around the place could have contained some of the gear they were using, or something like that.

And I agree that the trio aren't too difficult if you can kite them around and then take out the greatbow user. Parrying the Havel (twice) to death was really satisfying once he was the only one left.

Ruuppa

I think they're meant to be people who ransacked the Sunken Kingdom before you arrived. All those open chests you find around the place could have contained some of the gear they were using, or something like that.

And I agree that the trio aren't too difficult if you can kite them around and then take out the greatbow user. Parrying the Havel (twice) to death was really satisfying once he was the only one left.

I figured that the invading Yorgh and his Drakeblood Knights were the ones who ransacked the open chests. Would make sense, considering they are the enemies you encounter in the area with the open chests.

I figured that the invading Yorgh and his Drakeblood Knights were the ones who ransacked the open chests. Would make sense, considering they are the enemies you encounter in the area with the open chests.

You're probably right, that does make more sense.

--

Is it possible to jump from where my guy is standing to those stairs in Iron Keep?
screenshot_2014_08_14_19_29_28_by_realghostvids-d7v3o6e.jpg

I invaded a guy who sprinted past all the enemies and then was suddenly up where that archer is. The bridge to the Smelter Demon hadn't been lowered on either side so I couldn't get over there. He kept doing well what is it so I tried the jump and fell quite short of making it.

Top Bottom