• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Ruuppa

I've seen speedrunners do that jump many a times. And failing many a times. You can do it, but it's extremely finicky and frustrating.

Edit: Also what Storm said. Try it as a butterfly.

ecosse_011172

had my first proper online session, I summoned 2 dudes, went to attack the Last Giant and some invader kicked my arse (my fault).
Ok, human again, with help I killed the Last giant and The Pursuer, then got my soapstone and helped someone kill old Dragonslayer which was awesome!

Anyone willing to give me some pointers on PVP. I recently wen't through the most annoying part of the game for me so far, the Belfry in the Lost Bastille. It wasn't annoying due to the creeps, though those little guys hit like a truck! It was the constant invasions. 9/10 times I was invaded trying to get to the boss. Usually by multiple invaders.

I'm playing a pure fist weapons build. Level 91 now with a Right Handed 8+Caestus and 6+ Left handed Caestus. If I get close I can usually wreck them, the problem is they nearly always get a hit on me and I never have enough staminia and they keep healing while keeping me at bay with spells.

How do you guys do it? I'm actually tempted to join the Belfry covenant just to learn PVP. On that note where do you guys learn PVP?

Stats are:

Vigor 21
Endurance 20
Vitality 21
Attunement 6
Str 22
Dex 22
Faith 6
Int 6
Adap 20

PS: I love helping people out with bosses, but I've noticed that I'm not getting summoned anymore or finding any summons. I've only got two of the great souls.

Mistel

Banned
Anyone willing to give me some pointers on PVP. I recently wen't through the most annoying part of the game for me so far, the Belfry in the Lost Bastille. It wasn't annoying due to the creeps, though those little guys hit like a truck! It was the constant invasions. 9/10 times I was invaded trying to get to the boss. Usually by multiple invaders.

I'm playing a pure fist weapons build. Level 91 now with a Right Handed 8+Caestus and 6+ Left handed Caestus. If I get close I can usually wreck them, the problem is they nearly always get a hit on me and I never have enough staminia and they keep healing while keeping me at bay with spells.

How do you guys do it? I'm actually tempted to join the Belfry covenant just to learn PVP. On that note where do you guys learn PVP?

Stats are:

Vigor 21
Endurance 20
Vitality 21
Attunement 6
Str 22
Dex 22
Faith 6
Int 6
Adap 20

PS: I love helping people out with bosses, but I've noticed that I'm not getting summoned anymore or finding any summons. I've only got two of the great souls.
With Caestuses you've got to play very aggressively and manage your stamina so you can keep the hits coming. Upgrade both of them to the maximum and use a stone ring plus ring of blades with them. I'd also recommend dropping DEX to the powerstance requirements and using the points else where such as VIT and END.

Summoning drying up is due to your soul memory being out of range of those in the area.

Ruuppa

Anyone willing to give me some pointers on PVP.

To add to what was already posted, a boxer really needs all the iframes they can get on rolls so you should aim for 105 Agility. It's your only way to avoid damage outside of landing a parry with your offhand, which is super hard. And you can't parry when powerstancing, so it requires fiddling in the middle of the battle as well.

Staying below 50% or 40% weight also boosts your Stamina regen and roll length, so that's also a good thing to go for.

Boxers got pretty nerfed in the previous patch, since you can no longer keep a dude stunned with repeated powerstanced L1s. Fair nerf, but makes PVP that much tougher, until we get the kungfu moves from the next DLC.

Sullichin

Stats are:

Vigor 21
Endurance 20
Vitality 21
Attunement 6
Str 22
Dex 22
Faith 6
Int 6
Adap 20

Belfry is a good place to get your feet wet for PVP because it is such a shit show. You'll collect some chunks to upgrade your weapons and encounter lots of different builds.

Belfry is a good place to get your feet wet for PVP because it is such a shit show. You'll collect some chunks to upgrade your weapons and encounter lots of different builds.

Yup, Belfry ganking is a good start for PVP. Later you can go to Iron Keep or into the arenas. You will also earn a huge supply of Chunks if you decide to fully level the covenant up.

Also fuck boxers, you are my enemy from now on. ;)

Ruuppa

Yup, Belfry ganking is a good start for PVP. Later you can go to Iron Keep or into the arenas. You will also earn a huge supply of Chunks if you decide to fully level the covenant up.

Also fuck boxers, you are my enemy from now on. ;)

No love for old timey fisticuffs?
rpSZ15b.jpg

Mistel

Banned
Hopefully they learnt their lesson and won't release the extra content in a patch as early as they did last time.
I doubt it the attack animations were found for what probably will be future content. Some reskins have even popped up on the far fire site too.

BigAl1992

Hey guys, I need help here on this one. Basically, I've completed the game and the crown of the sunken king DLC, and I want to beat Vendrick. Unfortunately, he completely kicked my arse when I let my guard down, so what am I doing wrong here. My build is lvl.159 with Faraam set +10, Tower Shield +8, Curved Dragon Sword +3. The stats are:

VGR 22
END 20
VIT 34
ATN 16
STR 31
DEX 24
ADP 22
INT 20
FTH 23

I want to keep VGR, END and VIT untouched, as my build was originally going to be a tank that could switch between Pyromancy and Lightning for a back up, until miracles got nerfed to oblivion. So what changes do I need to make and what's the best way to prepare to fight Vendrick?

AngryMoth

Haven't played for a few months, bit rusty to start off with but I'm having a lot of success now in the arena with the puzzling stone sword. It's a really fun weapon. Also no hackers so far, touch wood!

Mistel

Banned
Hey guys, I need help here on this one. Basically, I've completed the game and the crown of the sunken king DLC, and I want to beat Vendrick. Unfortunately, he completely kicked my arse when I let my guard down, so what am I doing wrong here. My build is lvl.159 with Faraam set +10, Tower Shield +8, Curved Dragon Sword +3. The stats are:

VGR 22
END 20
VIT 34
ATN 16
STR 31
DEX 24
ADP 22
INT 20
FTH 23

I want to keep VGR, END and VIT untouched, as my build was originally going to be a tank that could switch between Pyromancy and Lightning for a back up, until miracles got nerfed to oblivion. So what changes do I need to make and what's the best way to prepare to fight Vendrick?
He's completely resistant to poison with high dark resistance too. Moderate resistances to fire, lightning, and magic. So you could use fire infused curved dragon greatsword to make use of your fire attack bonus from FTH/INT if you'd like.

Or you could go get a STR scaling weapon like the Giant warrior club or the Gyrm great hammer. Take DEX to minimum dump the other points in STR and beat him do death like that. You might want to raise equip load a bit for both for faster stamina recovery.

Ruuppa

VGR 22
END 20
VIT 34
ATN 16
STR 31
DEX 24
ADP 22
INT 20
FTH 23

Low Vgr for a tank there. If you're not into Sorceries or Hexes, drop the Int and dump those points into Vgr. Trying to block Vendrick is sort of a fool's errand, since if you roll from his attacks you'll probably lose less stamina than blocking them, even with a Tower Shield.

Third Dragon Ring, Life Ring, Chloranthy Ring and Ring of Steel Protection are good for him. The fight is gonna take quite some time anyway, so keeping alive is more important than upping your damage.

How many Giant's Souls do you have?

BigAl1992

Low Vgr for a tank there. If you're not into Sorceries or Hexes, drop the Int and dump those points into Vgr. Trying to block Vendrick is sort of a fool's errand, since if you roll from his attacks you'll probably lose less stamina than blocking them, even with a Tower Shield.

Third Dragon Ring, Life Ring, Chloranthy Ring and Ring of Steel Protection are good for him. The fight is gonna take quite some time anyway, so keeping alive is more important than upping your damage.

How many Giant's Souls do you have?

Four. I haven't dealt with the ancient dragon as of yet.

Ruuppa

only way to play :p

I like to hear that little breaking sound when I kill someone. Just warms me up from the bottom of my heart. I've never seen the point in using that ring fulltime, there are much better rings to use instead.

Unless you're doing a run back to your deathspot with too many souls to risk it. Otherwise it's actually more expensive to keep repairing it: 3k souls for a repair, whereas you can buy Human Effigies for a 1.5k/3k a pop (limited as though they may be). And you can use a Small Soapstone to easily pop yourself back to human in most areas.

zewone

Finally got the Heide Greatlance after using about a dozen ascetics. On the plus side I now have about a dozen Rings of Life Protection.

Which area were you farming for so many rings?

I like to hear that little breaking sound when I kill someone. Just warms me up from the bottom of my heart. I've never seen the point in using that ring fulltime, there are much better rings to use instead.

Unless you're doing a run back to your deathspot with too many souls to risk it. Otherwise it's actually more expensive to keep repairing it: 3k souls for a repair, whereas you can buy Human Effigies for a 1.5k/3k a pop (limited as though they may be). And you can use a Small Soapstone to easily pop yourself back to human in most areas.

So...it's the same price as an effigie (which aren't unlimited) and you recommend using a small soapstone instead.

That's much easier than just paying 3K...

Ruuppa

So...it's the same price as an effigie (which aren't unlimited) and you recommend using a small soapstone instead.

That's much easier than just paying 3K...

Ha, true.

But there are lots of rings that can be used in that slot instead, for the price of the slight inconvenience of having to Effigy/Coop and grabbing your deathspot. Each to his own I guess.

For those who bought the DLC, is it worth it? Not just value wise, but also time and item gain wise(equipment, soul items, etc). I'm debating getting it, however, I don't want a repeat of the Three Sentinels, Dragonrider Duo, or Throne Duo, where you either get help, or manmode the fight hating every second of your existence and regretting every decision you made that led you to that point. I might have exaggerated a tad.

Ruuppa

For those who bought the DLC, is it worth it? Not just value wise, but also time and item gain wise(equipment, soul items, etc). I'm debating getting it, however, I don't want a repeat of the Three Sentinels, Dragonrider Duo, or Throne Duo, where you either get help, or manmode the fight hating every second of your existence and regretting every decision you made that led you to that point. I might have exaggerated a tad.

Two of the three bosses are enjoyable solo, whereas the third one can either be a slog or you can oneshot it like Deified Data.
Elana can turn into a slog if she brings her summons out to play. Especially if she does it multiple times.

You get four useful rings out of it and one that's of dubious value
(the spell-deflecting one. Any impressions, anyone?)
. One really cool armor set, one okay armorset with a silly aura on it and some funky weapons like a spear that reduces your magic defense, but boosts your status defenses. There's also a Shotgun -type crossbow.

It's not Artorias of the Abyss, but it's a definite step in the right direction.

I'm still kinda waffling on this. I really liked the environments but the bosses left something to be desired. The best fight is a pallette swap of a boss from the base game, another is an easier version of a boss from Dark Souls 1, and the last is an optional fight that doesn't feel like a boss at all. I solo'd all the bosses personally, but there's a couple where I'm pretty sure you're supposed to summon and I'll probably just do that on future replays.

Honestly I wish they just released one big expansion like AotA instead of releasing them in episodes, it makes it harder to evaluate their worth when you bought the DLC season pass like I did.

Ah, so that respawns the Heide knight, eh?

Thanks.
Yep, lots of decent respawning treasure on that route to make it feel like not such a waste when you don't get what you want. The aforementioned rings, a twinkling titanite from the Flexile Sentry, a Divine Blessing, and a Human Effigy. As well as all the gear you'll get from the respawning Heide Knight.

neoism

Yeah I understand some wouldn't but for that little bit of time tryin to get back to your souls and dying :/ I didn't even really understand what it did until really late game NG and was amazed. Never paid attention but once I had like 500k in my first play-through,which was alot of souls at the time and lost them. It's happened a few more times really early game too. but near the end of my NG I realized I had like 5 in my inventory and started using them. I will agree its fucked me using them soo much it's why I'm 14mil SM and only level 245. By for me it takes out the one thing about death in this game I hate. Its one of the major things in Diablo 2 I hated going back to get it and maybe or maybe not fucking it up and losing them lol also I've had like 99 effigies for a long time. It also lets me avoid the hollow heath system which was fun the first dozen hours of the game, but I'd rather have a little bit of control on the souls I have or dont not because I suck and its not like it stops me from dying over and over :p lol I wish i had an end game counter for deaths.. I know I'm in the thousands lol

Mistel

Banned
It also lets me avoid the hollow heath system which was fun the first dozen hours of the game, but I'd rather have a little bit of control on the souls I have or dont not because I suck and its not like it stops me from dying over and over :p lol I wish i had an end game counter for deaths.. I know I'm in the thousands lol
Ring of binding caps your health loss and is available in the early stages of the game. As for death go to the death plaque on the tower in majula whilst offline then it is your total death displayed.

neoism

I think you can discover your deathcount by playing offline and checking the monolith in Majula that displays the global deathcount.

:O
Ring of binding caps your health loss and is available in the early stages of the game. As for death go to the death plaque on the tower in majula whilst offline then it is your total death displayed.

yeah I used that ring in my first few hours of my first play-through I said before the game really didnt click with me until The Iron Keep. Its like I was overly-cautions and it made me not want to play but a few hours at most... but once you can cheese the death in this game a little it makes it better and anything that gives me more control in a game Im using.... thanks though didnt know that about the plaque...
Also first time for everything my very first crash while playing the game today...1 crash with 150 hours isnt bad lol. Not sure if its steam or just this game but my internet went out in game and it made it crash I was infront of the tree... :p. got scared shitless I got that warning message about my DLC not being there but because this game has the best save system ever I was just right infront of the tree... <3 didn't loose anything... thankfully I've been backing my saves up ever since I found out it doesn't have steam cloud...

NEO0MJ

So, I just finished the DLC area.
Sinh was a lot of fun to fight, even if the weapon his soul gave you was pretty meh.

Can't wait for the rest, now.

Edit: I'm disappointed that the new music isn't in the album.

So, I just finished the DLC area.
Sinh was a lot of fun to fight, even if the weapon his soul gave you was pretty meh.

Can't wait for the rest, now.

Edit: I'm disappointed that the new music isn't in the album.

Really? I figured upon acquiring the DLC it would be automatically downloaded into the folder. They will probably release it later, you could also try e-mailing them and see if they will provide you with OST, or if they will release to all some other way.

Khronico

Ooh boy.... So... I found that Giant Lord ranged safe spot (takes 40ish poison arrows with +10 hunters blackbow) and have killed him 4 times so far with the ascetic trick. I now am SL 147 with all my needed stats at the soft cap and also have 99 of titanite and large titanite shards. I kinda feel dirty doing that...

The good thing is I can finally upgrade my shield along with all the armor I use.

Ooh boy.... So... I found that Giant Lord ranged safe spot (takes 40ish poison arrows with +10 hunters blackbow) and have killed him 4 times so far with the ascetic trick. I now am SL 147 with all my needed stats at the soft cap and also have 99 of titanite and large titanite shards. I kinda feel dirty doing that...

The good thing is I can finally upgrade my shield along with all the armor I use.

You can also get x2 Twink titanite outside the tree

Exr

Is there an updated wiki anywhere with weapon data? Just got back into playing this after a few months away, missed a lot of patches. Need to know which hueg sward to use in PvP.

Top Bottom