• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

I love killing invaders using Havels +5 and two handing a Red Iron Twinblade +10. In my defense that was supposed to be for Co-Op so I could tank and also deal out significant damage while my host buddy is safely away from death. Should I feel bad for doing it on invaders doe, it seems like it wreaks pretty hard, I killed like 4 invaders and max they got me was down to half health D:.

TnK

Joining the dark covenant just to fight darklurker sucks. Having to fight 3-4 NPCs is a huge pain. Any tips?

Also, offering human effigies every time is annoying, any places to farm those things?

Ruuppa

I don't understand how people play this shit PVP. Nothing but laggy backstabs and phantom pokes.

PVP is great when you get one of those great matches where everything works out: The other guy doesn't heal, there's little to no lag, it's not a dime-a-dozen SmelterHavel with anti-backstab gear, he doesn't have MonScim, etc. etc.

Good ol' footsies with a player who's close to your level in skill is always a fun time.

Joining the dark covenant just to fight darklurker sucks. Having to fight 3-4 NPCs is a huge pain. Any tips?

Also, offering human effigies every time is annoying, any places to farm those things?

Great Hammer 2hR2 flattens any NPC, and you can usually keep them stunlocked forever with it. That's one of the easier ways to get through the NPCs.

Agdayne sells 13 of them if you haven't bought them out yet. You can farm them from the lizardmen in Shrine of Amana, who have the best droprate IIRC. Even if they don't have the best droprate, there are a lot of them and they're super easy to farm. The dogs also drop them, so you can farm them from the Belfry Luna bonfire.

Is there an updated wiki anywhere with weapon data? Just got back into playing this after a few months away, missed a lot of patches. Need to know which hueg sward to use in PvP.

Not a wiki, but here's the weapons that were changed in the last patch: http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/2b2mbu/here_are_all_the_weapon_adjustments_from_the_july/

TnK

Good ol' footsies with a player who's close to your level in skill is always a fun time.

Great Hammer 2hR2 flattens any NPC, and you can usually keep them stunlocked forever with it. That's one of the easier ways to get through the NPCs.

Did that, but you know what, screw darklurker. My build is not good for this boss. I have 0 pyromancy skills, and I don't have a good fire based weapon to fight this guy. I'll just ignore him.

Sullichin

I don't understand how people play this shit PVP. Nothing but laggy backstabs and phantom pokes.

Phantom running attacks are the worst thing about the game. But when you get good PVP matches going, it's awesome
I love killing invaders using Havels +5 and two handing a Red Iron Twinblade +10. In my defense that was supposed to be for Co-Op so I could tank and also deal out significant damage while my host buddy is safely away from death. Should I feel bad for doing it on invaders doe, it seems like it wreaks pretty hard, I killed like 4 invaders and max they got me was down to half health D:.

Nah use whatever you want especially if someone is invading you. Havel's is most annoying in duels when you stack buffs.

Mistel

Banned
Is there an updated wiki anywhere with weapon data? Just got back into playing this after a few months away, missed a lot of patches. Need to know which hueg sward to use in PvP.
A drakekeeper ultra greatsword is one of the better ones to use.

Jaeger

Eagerly awaiting this DLC.

In the meantime just PVP'ing in the Blood Covenant. Still not at the highest level, but slowly getting there.

Guevara

You're probably right, that does make more sense.

--

Is it possible to jump from where my guy is standing to those stairs in Iron Keep?
screenshot_2014_08_14_19_29_28_by_realghostvids-d7v3o6e.jpg

I invaded a guy who sprinted past all the enemies and then was suddenly up where that archer is. The bridge to the Smelter Demon hadn't been lowered on either side so I couldn't get over there. He kept doing well what is it so I tried the jump and fell quite short of making it.

Yep very possible. I've seen it done in speed runs, through I can't remember why.

-----

Deified Data I'm calling you out! For inspiring me to take on (optional DLC boss)
The Trio
solo. It wasn't a super elegant fight, a little poison, a lot of kiting, but I was able to do it second try. It was extremely satisfying finally murdering that
great bow motherfucker.

Praise the sun and then praise the sun!

Deified Data I'm calling you out! For inspiring me to take on (optional DLC boss)
The Trio
solo. It wasn't a super elegant fight, a little poison, a lot of kiting, but I was able to do it second try. It was extremely satisfying finally murdering that
great bow motherfucker.

Praise the sun and then praise the sun!

Praise the Sun but Hole!

Yeah, I'm convinced there's no way to solo that fight without cheesing it a little, whether via ranged tactics or using the environment like I did. If some badass is out there wading into the thick of it and parrying every attack I'd love to see it. What order did you kill them in?

NEO0MJ

Yeah, I'm convinced there's no way to solo that fight without cheesing it a little, whether via ranged tactics or using the environment like I did. If some badass is out there wading into the thick of it and parrying every attack I'd love to see it. What order did you kill them in?

Yeah, it seems really difficult to take them out alone using only close range combat, I gave in and summoned someone to help me in the end.

A drakekeeper ultra greatsword is one of the better ones to use.

I've been using the Pursuer's Ultra Greatsword. It seems that its damage isn't as good as it should be for a boss weapon.

Ruuppa

I've been using the Pursuer's Ultra Greatsword. It seems that its damage isn't as good as it should be for a boss weapon.

A common problem with many of the boss weapons. The Butcher's Knife was pathetic, aside from the moveset, before it was fixed in the last patch, IIRC it only had E scaling in Str and low to middling base damage. I guess they tried to balance the boss weapons having special moves and abilities with reduced damage, and applied it broadly even to boss weapons without special abilities.

Mistel

Banned
At maximum it's the third strongest of the ultra greatswords with 390 damage with A/C scaling at maximum. It is only superceeded by the greatsword with 400 damage and S/D scaling. The kings ultra greatsword which is the strongest currently has 450 damage with S/E scaling. That aside it's pretty crap.

Khronico

I have a +5 Pursuer UGS and it's godlike. 394 base damage with A str and C dex scaling, so I'm doing about 670 a hit while staggering almost every enemy in the game. It starts out pretty lame but it scales beautifully if you invest the resources.

Edit: I also have 46 dex and 40 str so I'm getting good extra damage out of both scaling stats.

NEO0MJ

A common problem with many of the boss weapons. The Butcher's Knife was pathetic, aside from the moveset, before it was fixed in the last patch, IIRC it only had E scaling in Str and low to middling base damage. I guess they tried to balance the boss weapons having special moves and abilities with reduced damage, and applied it broadly even to boss weapons without special abilities.

The first game had this problem as well. It's nnice though that in this game you can at least power up some of them using spells/resin.

At maximum it's the third strongest of the ultra greatswords with 390 damage with A/C scaling at maximum. It is only superceeded by the greatsword with 400 damage and S/D scaling. The kings ultra greatsword which is the strongest currently has 450 damage with S/E scaling. That aside it's pretty crap.

Maybe I should change it, I have been using it for most of my current run. I was just surprised how strong the old knight mace is in comparison, and that weapon doesn't even scale! I currently have 50 str (for power stance) and 28 dex.

I have a +5 Pursuer UGS and it's godlike. 394 base damage with A str and C dex scaling, so I'm doing about 670 a hit while staggering almost every enemy in the game. It starts out pretty lame but it scales beautifully if you invest the resources.

My favorite thing about this weapon is how it sends some enemies flying with some hits.

Sullichin

Yeah but now it's really good! One of my favorite weapons.

Guevara

Praise the Sun but Hole!

The wrong order:
Swordsman, Havel, Archer

Swordsman fell very quickly to my hexes
Havel was extremely susceptible to poison/dark cloud but his shield make it tougher otherwise
Then I played sniper v sniper with the Archer

Mistel

Banned
Maybe I should change it, I have been using it for most of my current run. I was just surprised how strong the old knight mace is in comparison, and that weapon doesn't even scale! I currently have 50 str (for power stance) and 28 dex.
Use one of the other ultras such as the drakekeeper ultra greatsword or the greatsword. They have the attacks that send things flying and make better use of your stats.

The old knight mace is stronger because it has no scaling and compensates by having higher damage.

NEO0MJ

The old knight mace is stronger because it has no scaling and compensates by having higher damage.

I know, and I expected it to beat most weapons damage wise. But the persuer Ultra Greatsword had good base stats, great scaling and when combined with my character's build should have been stronger than most weapons, but it was still weaker than a weapon that didn't make use of scaling, even if if it did beat it in base stats.

Ruuppa

Yeah but now it's really good! One of my favorite weapons.

I made a cosbuild just for Butcher's Knife before the patch, and totally fell in love. That moveset is godlike! And now it's really powerful as well, loving it to bits.

Edit: I do dislike the fact that the 1hR2 jumping attack is parryable.

Mistel

Banned
I know, and I expected it to beat most weapons damage wise. But the persuer Ultra Greatsword had good base stats, great scaling and when combined with my character's build should have been stronger than most weapons, but it was still weaker than a weapon that didn't make use of scaling, even if if it did beat it in base stats.
Strike damage is superior in the terms of damage to most things in PvE. Old knight mace has inherent advantages against most enemies compared to the puruser ultra greatsword. Due to the nature of damage type resistantances themselves.

Guevara

As a new Hex guy it seems like almost everything is weak to Dark. My 500+ Dark Orb 1-2 shot most mobs even late into the game.

What's funny are the few exceptions, some enemies obviously have strong Dark resistance:

- Dark Aberrations (hideous bulky creature in Sinner's Rise water and Aldia's Crypt)
- DLC Sanctum Knights

Praise the Sun but Hole!

Edit: I also have 46 dex and 40 str so I'm getting good extra damage out of both scaling stats.

I like using the Red Iron Twinblade +10. With 40 STR that DPS is pretty ridiculous. if you decide to make your STR 49 you can Power-stance them, although in my opinion the power-stance of Twinblade sucks, I rather two hand one and just spam RB to win.

Ruuppa

As a new Hex guy it seems like almost everything is weak to Dark. My 500+ Dark Orb 1-2 shot most mobs even late into the game.

What's funny are the few exceptions, some enemies obviously have strong Dark resistance:

- Dark Aberrations (hideous bulky creature in Sinner's Rise water and Aldia's Crypt)
- DLC Sanctum Knights

It feels like the devs wanted Hexes to be the final endgame magic branch, with requirements in both Int and Fai, and made it powerful accordingly. They just went too far with the power, and it's crazy strong now. Goddamn Great Resonant Soul has lots of casts and is a horrifyingly strong bosskiller, even against dark resistant bosses.

It feels like the devs wanted Hexes to be the final endgame magic branch, with requirements in both Int and Fai, and made it powerful accordingly. They just went too far with the power, and it's crazy strong now. Goddamn Great Resonant Soul has lots of casts and is a horrifyingly strong bosskiller, even against dark resistant bosses.

I thought they heavily nerfed GRS? If not, I'd be pissed they kept that broken spell normal while reducing casts of GLS, Lighting Spear to near unviability(it's a word now because I said so.), Sunlight Spear got reduced for me by like one cast, so I don't care too much about that one it already obliterated some bosses with 4-5 casts so I'm content with that. However, I lost nearly half my casts for GLS, and they messed up and gave it less damage too. I used to use GLS for minions, and now I can't even get to Ancient Dragon without running out of them.

Ruuppa

I thought they heavily nerfed GRS? If not, I'd be pissed they kept that broken spell normal while reducing casts of GLS, Lighting Spear to near unviability(it's a word now because I said so.), Sunlight Spear got reduced for me by like one cast, so I don't care too much about that one it already obliterated some bosses with 4-5 casts so I'm content with that. However, I lost nearly half my casts for GLS, and they messed up and gave it less damage too. I used to use GLS for minions, and now I can't even get to Ancient Dragon without running out of them.

GRS is still really powerful for the casts you get and the cost. It's somewhere between GLS and SLS in damage, but gets two to three times the casts.

Edit: It does take two slots though.

Guevara

I just did this run last night with Dark Orb, and a +5 Dark Sunset Staff. The knights go down in 2 hits, the dragonbros in like 4. Total cake walk and way easier than it ever was with LS/GLS on my faith character.

Ruuppa

I just did this run last night with Dark Orb, and a +5 Dark Sunset Staff. The knights go down in 2 hits, the dragonbros in like 4. Total cake walk and way easier than it ever was with LS/GLS on my faith character.

Whoa, I thought Hexes were all about GRS. But that Dark Orb, the Soul Arrow of Hexes, does that.. Jeez.

Edit: Was trying to find out Dark Orb damage and stuff, and found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--yQV8_4Y4o

Hexes are probably the best caster class right now alonside with Pyro after the miracle nerf, the only downside is the most powerfull spells drains a lot of souls but the game provides with more souls after a successfull kill anyway.

Guevara

Hexes are probably the best caster class right now alonside with Pyro after the miracle nerf, the only downside is the most powerfull spells drains a lot of souls but the game provides with more souls after a successfull kill anyway.

I don't even use the hexes that cost souls ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dark Orb, Dark Weapon, Dark Fog are all free

Did that, but you know what, screw darklurker. My build is not good for this boss. I have 0 pyromancy skills, and I don't have a good fire based weapon to fight this guy. I'll just ignore him.

lightning does pretty good damage on him, that's how I beat it.

Mistel

Banned
Whats a good bow for the str/fth/int build? Dragonrider w/dark arrows?
A dark infused Alonne greatbow would be a better choice it means that you get scaling off your INT/FTH along with your STR and avoids the triple defense issue with your suggestion.

v1perz53

The issue with this bow is the 25 Dex requirement. What do you mean by triple defense issue?

Basically every type of damage that a weapon does is resisted separately. So if an enemy has 100 thrust defense, 100 magic defense and 100 dark defense each part of damage from the dragonrider bow with dark arrows(physical, magic and dark) is getting resisted separately as though you were hitting them 3 times. The end result of this is that a weapon that does 100 physical and 100 dark damage will almost always do less damage than 200 physical because the formula for damage reduction isn't percentage based.

Similarly, a bow doing 3 types of damage would have to do a LOT more unmitigated damage than a bow doing 2 types of damage to actually hurt the enemy more. It is all very unintuitive. It is also why the numbers would appear to show that something like the fire longsword you get early on should do a ton more damage than the regular longsword (78 phys 78 fire vs 110 phys) but they are pretty similar damage wise, to give a real example so you get a sense of scale.

Mistel

Banned
The issue with this bow is the 25 Dex requirement. What do you mean by triple defense issue?
Using dark arrows with a dragon rider bow means that multiple defenses are taken into account for the damage a shot does making it weaker. This is due to the already split damage a dragon rider bow has if you're dead set on using one use magic arrows instead.

Sothpaw

Playing the game for the first time on PC, love it. Just got to Belfry Luna. What in the mother of fuck? Is there a way to stop these pointless invasions so I can get on with the part I enjoy (PVE)?

Edit: You can get invaded by 2 people at once? LOOOOOL

Mistel

Banned
So the initial damage gets weaker for the three damage defense input?
Pretty much it's the mace of the insolent problem looks great on paper but goes through loads of different defense type making it weaker.
Playing the game for the first time on PC, love it. Just got to Belfry Luna. What in the mother of fuck? Is there a way to stop these pointless invasions so I can get on with the part I enjoy (PVE)?
Other than go offline or burn a human effigy not really. You will be invaded for trespassing in the belfry. Getting to the fog gate will also stop it.

Sothpaw

Pretty much it's the mace of the insolent problem looks great on paper but goes through loads of different defense type making it weaker.

Other than go offline or burn a human effigy not really. You will be invaded for trespassing in the belfry. Getting to the fog gate will also stop it.

Phew just ran to the gargoyles and killed them. Killing five gargoyles is a hell of a lot easier than killing two players at once.

Edit: Turns out Vorgel + 6 dogs is also much easier than fighting 2 players.

v1perz53

Phew just ran to the gargoyles and killed them. Killing five gargoyles is a hell of a lot easier than killing two players at once.

Edit: Turns out Vorgel + 6 dogs is also much easier than fighting 2 players.

Belfry Luna and Sol are the only place I think you can get invaded by 2 players at once, but don't quote me on that. It is actually the design of the place, you are trying to ring the bell and the odds are stacked against you as the Bell Keepers try to murder you. I would've been down for it if the area was totally optional without being inconvenient to skip for a bit (Gargoyle boss and the Lost Bastille Key), so I said screw it and went offline for the duration.

Top Bottom