• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Belfry Luna and Sol are the only place I think you can get invaded by 2 players at once, but don't quote me on that. It is actually the design of the place, you are trying to ring the bell and the odds are stacked against you as the Bell Keepers try to murder you. I would've been down for it if the area was totally optional without being inconvenient to skip for a bit (Gargoyle boss and the Lost Bastille Key), so I said screw it and went offline for the duration.

I only go there for the
Gold Serpent Ring +2
, other than that I avoid it. I can manage
Lost Sinner in the dark
, I don't need to fight them. Offline is uber useful. Fog gate, not so much. I remember when I was on my Sorcerer trying to get the items from killing trespassers, someone tried to run for the fog gate, as they were entering I hit them with soul arrows and killed em heh. It's basically the new forest of the game. I think you can be invaded by two Blue Phantoms(the one that invade you for being a dirty sinner, not for being a horrible person and invading someone). I think.

Ugh. What was the thinking behind the health penalty when you die? If anything, it makes me NOT want to explore the game.

To give you an actual punishment upon dying, to encourage you to try and regain your humanity since you don't want to be hollow, and since going hollow is a gradual process(i.e the more you die the more hollow you become) it fits with the the whole lore of the undead. Also, since you can be invaded while hollow, it's in your best interest to be human, otherwise you have 50% of your health(I think 80% with the ring of binding). If the penalty bothers you that much just wear the ring of binding, it makes it 5% health loss each time rather than 10% and you lose a maximum of 20% health instead of 50% I think. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Never wore any heavy armor in any of my previous runs, but this time I am liking how the Drakeblood Set looks.

With a spear, It reminds the Dragoon type class from other fantasy games.

F7689E09608978B574DE50D79CE46EF46C492AAF

BD4102E241744A46DF0E076322BE183BD9F2804A

Mogwai

Playing the game for the first time on PC, love it. Just got to Belfry Luna. What in the mother of fuck? Is there a way to stop these pointless invasions so I can get on with the part I enjoy (PVE)?

Edit: You can get invaded by 2 people at once? LOOOOOL

Play offline.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
So I got killed by this Red Phantom, got mixed feelings (not legit, but sure looks cool)

-----
Was he using the kungfu moveset? I really hope we can get access to that, and it's not just a miniboss/boss moveset. It just looks amazing, especially the hadoken.

Yes, the Phantom was using the unavailable KungFu moveset locked in the game. With the animation timings adhering to existing moves, like flying kick have the same mechanics/cooldown as a running spear move, hadoken having the same mechanics/cooldown to normal soul arrow casing animation and so on.

Ruuppa

So I got killed by this Red Phantom, got mixed feelings (not legit, but sure looks cool)

Was he using the kungfu moveset? I really hope we can get access to that, and it's not just a miniboss/boss moveset. It just looks amazing, especially the hadoken.

Mistel

Banned
Yes, the Phantom was using the unavailable KungFu moveset locked in the game. With the animation timings adhering to existing moves, like flying kick have the same mechanics/cooldown as a running spear move, hadoken having the same mechanics/cooldown to normal soul arrow casing animation and so on.
That's how it works pretty much as it's not technically a moveset it's just the animations still present within the game itself. Same thing for the Artorias animations too.

I am a mage and refuse to use the binoculars sniper mode

Lol, that's all I ever use. EXTREMELY helpful for killing the archers in Iron Keep. We were supposed to get first person casting, and stronger magical attacks that take longer to cast. They had them in the beta for PS#, but abruptly took them out in the full release. No idea why :(. Also, the trailer showed spells having levels ;o.

Sullichin

Lol, that's all I ever use. EXTREMELY helpful for killing the archers in Iron Keep. We were supposed to get first person casting, and stronger magical attacks that take longer to cast. They had them in the beta for PS#, but abruptly took them out in the full release. No idea why :(. Also, the trailer showed spells having levels ;o.

I suspect the strong attacks of spells got nixed because of the shields / weapons that let you cast spells with the strong attack.

I suspect the strong attacks of spells got nixed because of the shields / weapons that let you cast spells with the strong attack.

An odd choice. The former is definitely more interesting strategically than the latter.

A bow? Imaging shoothing at his little head makes me sad....but I will try it

Not me, those guys are assholes.

Or maybe they had the statues placed on their backs against their will?

Dammit, stop making me question myself.

v1perz53

I am a mage and refuse to use the binoculars sniper mode

I wish the binoculars were still an item like in Dark Souls 1 as opposed to equipped like a weapon. I like to switch hands with my staff and I always forget to switch binoculars too, and it wastes a weapon slot and makes combat swapping more annoying. And we have like 40 item slots now for no reason.

I just wish strong attack with a staff was a zoom with a small crosshair, or even just no zoom with a crosshair, some way to aim my spells. I know they made melee with staffs do decent damage now, but I would prefer a method of aiming much more. Binoculars are fine, but they still lack the crosshair. Any time I get an advantage by putting a piece of tape on the center of my screen, that is just bad game design.

knitoe

Anyone using the lastest GeDoSaTo able to downsample? I upgraded from beta 9 or 10 and can't. Pretty sure, I am using the same settings.

v1perz53

goddamnit. I feel like a noob climbing in that coffin and getting gender swapped. Knew it was a trap.

You can just climb back in and swap back. Not really sure what the point of the coffin is since you can't pick customization options so it always seemed pretty pointless to me.

v1perz53

Some might want to change their characters gender maybe?

I meant pointless as in poor implementation. I can't really see the person who would care enough to want to change the gender, but not care about actually picking options such as hairstyle etc. If they were gonna add a gender swap option they should've made it full featured.

It would be useful if it allowed you to remodel your character instead. Turning into Missus Manface is funny, but not all that aesthetically pleasing.

I found it hilarious the first time I used it. While going to fight The Last Giant I began looking at my character in all his hilariousness. When I noticed that my chest was a little bulgy. So I stripped my character down and saw that he was in fact a she. And was like o shit, did I make my character a woman? DAMMIT! Then after like an hour or so, the gears in my brain finally began to turn, quiet slowly at that. Then my brain finally connected the dots and was like hey, didn't you nestle into a coffin early? That could be what caused this transformation. And alas the mystery of the gender swap was solved.

I meant pointless as in poor implementation. I can't really see the person who would care enough to want to change the gender, but not care about actually picking options such as hairstyle etc. If they were gonna add a gender swap option they should've made it full featured.

Agreed, that feature is useful and appealing. Changing gender without changing your face, not so much. It's more of a mischievous prank on From's part than something meant to be useful.

ecosse_011172

Bloody hell, the sentinels boss in Lost Bastille is a fecker, I got slaughtered in no time despite having summoned help :-(

So, that's the stage I'm at, I have 5 Titanite shards and a load of souls, I now have the Alva Set which I've upgraded a bit and I still am Dual Wielding the homunculus mace+2 with the Club+2which does loads of damage but is slow and uses loads of stamina.
I'd like to use something far faster but it sounds that I can't get Katanas till The Iron Keep which seems miles away.
Do I upgrade my Club/Mace or is there anything interesting coming up?

Mistel

Banned
Bloody hell, the sentinels boss in Lost Bastille is a fecker, I got slaughtered in no time despite having summoned help :-(

So, that's the stage I'm at, I have 5 Titanite shards and a load of souls, I now have the Alva Set which I've upgraded a bit and I still am Dual Wielding the homunculus mace+2 with the Club+2which does loads of damage but is slow and uses loads of stamina.
I'd like to use something far faster but it sounds that I can't get Katanas till The Iron Keep which seems miles away.
Do I upgrade my Club/Mace or is there anything interesting coming up?
The dual hammer moveset is pretty fast for STR weapons in the whole scheme of things. If you've not invested in STR since our last conversation ditch the club for a mace and power stance that with the homonculus mace. A mace is stronger than the club is and will do more damage whilst still giving you returns on your STR investment. Upgrading your weapons in general will also help you deal more damage and improve their scaling. Maybe lay off upgrading your Alva set till you get both weapons to +5 can can deal some damage with them.

If stamina is your primary concern at this point the royal soldier ring and cloranthy ring will help, the former raising your equip load and the latter boosting stamina regen. Naturally raising END and VIT will help also.

ecosse_011172

The dual hammer moveset is pretty fast for STR weapons in the whole scheme of things. If you've not invested in STR since our last conversation ditch the club for a mace and power stance that with the homonculus mace. A mace is stronger than the club is and will do more damage whilst still giving you returns on your STR investment. Upgrading your weapons in general will also help you deal more damage and improve their scaling. Maybe lay off upgrading your Alva set till you get both weapons to +5 can can deal some damage with them.

If stamina is your primary concern at this point the royal soldier ring and cloranthy ring will help, the former raising your equip load and the latter boosting stamina regen. Naturally raising END and VIT will help also.
Thank you once again.
I have the Cloranthy Ring but not the Royal Solder ring, I'll look into a Mace tomorrow, I have the Morning Star IIRC...

Mistel

Banned
Thank you once again. I have the Cloranthy Ring but not the Royal Solder ring, I'll look into a Mace tomorrow, I have the Morning Star IIRC...
A mace you can by from Lenigrast for 1200 souls it's cheap to buy and upgrades via titanite. Morning stars are a lot more potent post patch as they are not only A scaling STR weapons at max they also inflict bleed. Although you might find as they're strike damage you kill things before that happens often times.

Morning stars are inferior to maces or Homoculus maces in terms of damage however so it's better to upgrade and use them instead.

Dsyndrome

Playing this game for the first time since May to see my faith build gone to shit thanks to 1.08. I'm guessing this was a common complaint a month ago? Any word on if there'll be a respec for Lightning Spears in the next patch? Sorry if this is the 1000th time this was asked.

Mistel

Banned
Playing this game for the first time since May to see my faith build gone to shit thanks to 1.08. I'm guessing this was a common complaint a month ago? Any word on if there'll be a respec for Lightning Spears in the next patch? Sorry if this is the 1000th time this was asked.
No word as far as I'm aware of the next patch, I assume it will be before the release of the next dlc on the 26th most likely. Your FTH build was purely miracle based I assume?

Dsyndrome

No word as far as I'm aware of the next patch, I assume it will be before the release of the next dlc on the 26th most likely. Your FTH build was purely miracle based I assume?

STR/FTH actually. +10 Lightning Heide Knight Sword is my best weapon. I never relied on the spears, just jarring to come in and see them halved and not doing as much damage. Probably just need to respec, go at stuff from a different angle, and/or stop bitching I guess. That and man up against the last Chasm of the Dark under Drangleic Castle.

Mistel

Banned
STR/FTH actually. +10 Lightning Heide Knight Sword is my best weapon. I never relied on the spears, just jarring to come in and see them halved and not doing as much damage. Probably just need to respec, go at stuff from a different angle, and/or stop bitching I guess. That and man up against the last Chasm of the Dark under Drangleic Castle.
You should maybe look at getting a different weapon a lightning mastodon greatsword it's going to make much better usage of your stats. 210/210 damage split with B/E/B scaling suitable for a STR/FTH build. Lightning greatswords are even better provided you like the moveset 280/280 damage split with A/E/B scaling.

Joei

So I made my way to No Man's Wharf, maybe halfway through now, just got to an NPC, just started the game, and am really enjoying it. It reminds me of a cross between DeS and DS1. I like the overall level design much more than in DS1, though not as much as DeS, and I'm not having noticible problems with the hit boxes or general movement that I had read about. I really enjoy the NPCs I've met so far much more than the NPCs in DS1 (Solaire the obvious exception). I don't, however, like the way they redid the menus in this game. I don't like the item select screen, and I don't like the character stat stuff, or just really any of the changes they did with the menus. I remember in the previous games you could see the exact number of a person's current HP, and I'm not sure you can in this game. I'm also noticing that the game seems harder, but only because it seems like there are swarms of enemies as opposed to just being difficult one on one encounters. They also seem to turn a bit quicker so its harder to block and go around them to backstab. Of course, I'm still very early in the game so I'll find out later on, but even with those minor complaints, I'm still enjoying it.

v1perz53

So I made my way to No Man's Wharf, maybe halfway through now, just got to an NPC, just started the game, and am really enjoying it. It reminds me of a cross between DeS and DS1. I like the overall level design much more than in DS1, though not as much as DeS, and I'm not having noticible problems with the hit boxes or general movement that I had read about. I really enjoy the NPCs I've met so far much more than the NPCs in DS1 (Solaire the obvious exception). I don't, however, like the way they redid the menus in this game. I don't like the item select screen, and I don't like the character stat stuff, or just really any of the changes they did with the menus. I remember in the previous games you could see the exact number of a person's current HP, and I'm not sure you can in this game. I'm also noticing that the game seems harder, but only because it seems like there are swarms of enemies as opposed to just being difficult one on one encounters. They also seem to turn a bit quicker so its harder to block and go around them to backstab. Of course, I'm still very early in the game so I'll find out later on, but even with those minor complaints, I'm still enjoying it.

My main piece of advice from someone who also came from Dark Souls 1 and Demon's Souls is give up on backstabbing, at least for a while. Enemies spin like tops in this game, so if you try to use the old "circle around them and backstab" method you will rarely succeed. Rolling through as they attack and backstabbing still works, but is generally not worth it, you are almost always better off in PvE just walking away from their attacks and attacking in turn. Combat definitely feels different from DkS 1 and DeS.

Hitbox problems are not as present early on, mostly a problem for me with specific enemies and bosses that you haven't gotten to yet. Also was a bigger problem for me with the PC version because of halved roll iframes at 60 FPS. There are definitely more groups of enemies as opposed to single enemies, but I think it has to do with game differences, like having unlimited uses of healing via lifegems.

NPCs are more friendly about their role/funtion and easy to find compared to DS1, they are just there in an obvious place to be found, the only "hard" to find is Ornifex but you are still early in the game.

And yes the game is harder compared to the learning curve in DS1, the bad thing is the hardest diffilculty you will find after surviving no man wharf which is a early zone then the game keeps of sending you swarms of enemies to make the impression the game becomes harder.

And yes, beware of the enemies and the weird frame cancels to turn around you to kill you.

Haunted

Yeah, I didn't really get the coffin either. Placement makes no sense in the world, everything about it is completely unexplained and the features it provides are not useful.

Almost everything in Souls games has a purpose and actual thought behind it, the coffin is an anomaly in that sense. Weird.

For a character that has 50 STR and 30 DEX, would any of these weapons be better in terms of raw damage or DPS than the Red Iron Twinblade or Kings Ultra Greatsword; Crypt Blacksword, Smelter Sword, Butchers Knife, Iron King Hammer. Since I'm not too keen on the whole build thing, and like to constantly level up my character, I may put points into FTH and INT later, but currently they're both at 5.

For a character that has 50 STR and 30 DEX, would any of these weapons be better in terms of raw damage or DPS than the Red Iron Twinblade or Kings Ultra Greatsword; Crypt Blacksword, Smelter Sword, Butchers Knife, Iron King Hammer. Since I'm not too keen on the whole build thing, and like to constantly level up my character, I may put points into FTH and INT later, but currently they're both at 5.

RIT, Butcher Knife and the Iron King hammer are better for your current build.

According to Storm Drakekeeper weapons and the Wrym great axe are better weapons for strengh build

Top Bottom