• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

nynt9

Break his stuff with Acid Mist and Corrosive Urns. Use a curved sword, Monastery Scim if you can get one, to parry him onto his ass and throw some urns or mist. You can also stop him from rolling through those by using the strong attack from the Spider's Silk. There's also Promised Walk of Peace to stop him in his tracks, but that needs heavy speccing into Hexes for that 30Fai/40Int.

lol sounds like Scraping Spear 2.0

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So I made a template for myself to start any new(game) character...

.swordsman
.avoid killing every enemy along the way, if possible *(important)*
.kill Pursuer, for The Ring
.kill Last Giant
.fly to Lost Bastille
.get Steady Hand McDuff's Craftsman's Hammer
.Majula
.kill Dragon Rider by dual handing Craftsman's Hammer
.rush to Skeleton Lords; kill right most lord first, middle one second and the remaining the last (hope that the bonewheel skeletons don't kill you)
.get two Fragrant Branch of Yore from Harvest Valley
.kill Covetous Demon
.get the Laddersmith Gilligan to shift to Majula
.Majula
.purchase Silvercat Ring
.get Laddersmith Gilligan to place an intermediate ladder to survive the fall into the pit
.traverse through the Gutter via the shortcut, kill two exploding undead along the way
.kill Rotten
.enter The Kingdom of the Sunken King
.rush to the Puzzling Sword, killing the three enemies
.run,dodge,roll, jump past all the insects to get Flynn's Ring
.NOW START YOUR ADVENTURE
And what will all of this do?

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
And what will all of this do?

.access to +70 melee damage without increasing stats (by Ring of Blades and
Flynn's Ring
)
.remove dependency on progressing past a single melee weapon upgrade route
..hence making every weapon in the game viable at +0
.good starting point for mage/cleric builds
.lower Soul Memory
..advantage for Bell Covenant invasions
..advantage for Heir of the Sunlight Covenant summon
..advantage for Blue Sentinels Covenant Ring Summon
..advantage for Brotherhood of Blood Covenant

Also
.access to one of the best heavy? armors from the DLC, The
Drakeblood Set
..good 450+ overall defense from physical weapons at the start of the game (at Lower SM)
.Ease of structuring character to progress further from this point
..level ups (can be respec'ed by Soul Vessel)
..Weapon upgrades (but weapon upgrades cannot be respec'ed)

Ruuppa

Flynn's Ring
)
.lower Soul Memory

Also
Drakeblood Set
..good 450+ overall defense from physical weapons at the start of the game (at Lower SM)

If we're talking about speedrunning for tons of damage on low SM, I'd go this route:
Start as a Cleric for the free Mace
Smash the Ogre that gives you the Stone Ring, or just roll past him and grab the Gold Pine Resin
Dragonrider, make him slip and fall off the arena
Buy the Silvercat Ring
Jump down the well, blaze through Gutter and get the Branch and the Bonfire before the Rotten
Go smash Pursuers for the ring
Fly to Bastile, open up the smithy
Go smack Rotten with your confidence and Gold Pine Resin with the Mace or Craftsman's Hammer
Grab Flynn's Ring from above the bugroom
Done
Some optional parts, and interchangeable order. But that'd be how I'd max my damage in the start.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
If we're talking about speedrunning for tons of damage on low SM, I'd go this route:
Start as a Cleric for the free Mace
Smash the Ogre that gives you the Stone Ring, or just roll past him and grab the Gold Pine Resin
Dragonrider, make him slip and fall off the arena
Buy the Silvercat Ring
Jump down the well, blaze through Gutter and get the Branch and the Bonfire before the Rotten
Go smash Pursuers for the ring
Fly to Bastile, open up the smithy
Go smack Rotten with your confidence and Gold Pine Resin with the Mace or Craftsman's Hammer
Grab Flynn's Ring from above the bugroom
Done
Some optional parts, and interchangeable order. But that'd be how I'd max my damage in the start.

I had problems with:

Purchasing the Silvercat Ring and then immediately jumping down the well, resulted in my character's death lately (for less than 1200 hit points overall).

Was pretty sure this wasn't the case when I tried previously, but I was running at lower FPS due to Downsampling (not sure if this affects fall damage, but either this or the new patches..not sure at all)

-----
Edit

You can survive the drop with around 900 HP. I usually bump my Vig to 11, 12 and wear the Way of the Blue ring for the small boost. Just take off all your armor and stuff, since equip weight causes falldamage to be higher. No idea if FPS affects it.

That fall killed me naked, had 11xx odd Hit Points overall (boosted to the final value by Life Ring and Blue Seal)

Ruuppa

I had problems with:

Purchasing the Silvercat Ring and then immediately jumping down the well, resulted in my character's death lately (for less than 1200 hit points overall).

Was pretty sure this wasn't the case when I tried previously, but I was running at lower FPS due to Downsampling (not sure if this affects fall damage, but either this or the new patches..not sure at all)

You can survive the drop with around 900 HP. I usually bump my Vig to 11, 12 and wear the Way of the Blue ring for the small boost. Just take off all your armor and stuff, since equip weight causes falldamage to be higher. No idea if FPS affects it.

That fall killed me naked, had 11xx odd Hit Points overall (boosted to the final value by Life Ring and Blue Seal)

I have no idea what's going on there. I always do that drop after Dragonrider with 11/12 Vig and Blue Seal. Are you stepping off of the edge really carefully?

v1perz53

I just did some testing myself, I was able to survive as a Sorcerer with 1 point in vigor (6 total) and the blue seal and silvercat ring, which was 918 HP. The key is to make the drop with absolutely no forward momentum. If you are moving at anything more than the slowest speed at the edge, you have a tiny bit of forward momentum which increases fall damage. It is very finicky. I did it by pressing the left stick forward until my character just started moving, once you hit the edge you should fall straight down instead of slightly forward, and you can live.

Just tested some more, did the drop totally naked with just the Silvercat ring, 892 HP. Survived fairly clearly, with at least 5% HP remaining. You should definitely be able to survive at over 1000. Again, make sure to drop straight down, don't run off the edge.

Mistel

Banned
I'm working on a Mundane Dagger/Curved Sword type build. Warped Sword has got A scaling in DEX so I'm wondering if the Mundane scaling will out damage that given that it knocks the base down so much.
It probably wouldn't do more as it's half it's damage and you have A DEX scaling without half the damage.

I've grown to love my mundane build for it's variety. It's got less than 40% equip load, a greatsword, a curved sword, a rapier, a dagger, a shield and pyromancy. I've tried going back to my other builds since then but I miss having all the options available to me mid-fight.

It has been a while since I've played online but I managed to get two tasty parries this evening:

This poor Havel was ridiculously clueless and did very low damage with his Washing Pole.
http://a.pomf.se/aillmj.webm

I've been destroyed by the post-patch Red Iron Twinblade so many times, so this one felt fantastic.
http://a.pomf.se/ixqkwk.webm

Ruuppa

I've grown to love my mundane build for it's variety. It's got less than 40% equip load, a greatsword, a curved sword, a rapier, a dagger, a shield and pyromancy. I've tried going back to my other builds since then but I missing having all the options available to me mid-fight.

It has been a while since I've played online but I managed to get two tasty parries this evening:

This poor Havel was ridiculously clueless and did very low damage with his Washing Pole.
http://a.pomf.se/aillmj.webm

I've been destroyed by the post-patch Red Iron Twinblade so many times, so this one felt fantastic.
http://a.pomf.se/ixqkwk.webm

Dat 2.5k damage riposte. I hate that ridiculous crap so much.

Dat 2.5k damage riposte. I hate that ridiculous crap so much.

I agree, it's way too powerful. Because of this I never backstab with the dagger; They're so common that it would end fights way too quickly. Parries are generally so rare for me that when I do manage to land one I reward myself with the insta-death riposte.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member

I have no idea what's going on there. I always do that drop after Dragonrider with 11/12 Vig and Blue Seal. Are you stepping off of the edge really carefully?

I just did some testing myself, I was able to survive as a Sorcerer with 1 point in vigor (6 total) and the blue seal and silvercat ring, which was 918 HP. The key is to make the drop with absolutely no forward momentum. If you are moving at anything more than the slowest speed at the edge, you have a tiny bit of forward momentum which increases fall damage. It is very finicky. I did it by pressing the left stick forward until my character just started moving, once you hit the edge you should fall straight down instead of slightly forward, and you can live.

Just tested some more, did the drop totally naked with just the Silvercat ring, 892 HP. Survived fairly clearly, with at least 5% HP remaining. You should definitely be able to survive at over 1000. Again, make sure to drop straight down, don't run off the edge.

I think that must be it*, was jumped down running into the pit like taking a leap of faith.

Will try walking slowly..

Edit: Walking off the edge slowly did the trick*

v1perz53

Nope, no season pass for US on PSN. Very odd seeing as US got a PC season pass and a 360 one as well I think.

Also, this is very minor but I really wish that the "bow" gesture was a bit deeper and more exaggerated. I feel like it is a little too subtle and easily missed, it was a good way to come to a mutual understanding for invasions in DkS 1, but now I miss it a lot of times.

Guevara

Beat (late game bosses)
Ancient Dragon
and then
King Vendrick
back-to-back last night. So good.

Summoned a dude who was a pro.
He had a magic(?) craftsman hammer and just wailed on AD's toes. Together we basically kept him in his stomp/firebreath between his legs/stomp cycle. I have never seen AD beat that quickly, it really was unbelievable.

If you're reading this and it was you: you the real MVP.

SoldnerKei

finally I was able to use blue cracked orbs, had fun delivering justice last night

dunno if it actually helps, but I wasn't able to invade from other pvp areas, I went to the dlc map and invading became easier, and I invaded most people on dlc map

Butcher's Knife with 70 STR is pretty good, thou it dosen't feel right to invest so much points in STR for some reason, dunno how much points a STR build should have

Beat (late game bosses)
Ancient Dragon
and then
King Vendrick
back-to-back last night. So good.

Summoned a dude who was a pro.
He had a magic(?) craftsman hammer and just wailed on AD's toes. Together we basically kept him in his stomp/firebreath between his legs/stomp cycle. I have never seen AD beat that quickly, it really was unbelievable.

If you're reading this and it was you: you the real MVP.

So the dragon never fly? Thats amazing

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
I did it, I got the Puzzling Stone Sword and Flynn's Ring with the least possible Soul Memory.

Thanks to
.@Ruuppa
.@v1perz53

Milestone 1a - Puzzling Stone Sword and Flynn's Ring, SM at 77K
0ED7B39CAF61A5445E76AB6F35C7D69FBAA9F822

v1perz53

Why Puzzling Stone Sword? I didn't really like it, seems underwhelming.

For one, it has super low stat requirements, so it is very nice to have at lower stat levels, but very rarely seen in those builds because of how to get it. RVinP has high enough stats to use other things, but that is still a benefit. Also has one of the highest damages of the straight swords while having low requirements and a unique moveset, so it can be fun.

Why Puzzling Stone Sword? I didn't really like it, seems underwhelming.

Its a good weapon if you get it earlier with low stats requirements.

Since the DLC doesnt require anything to be accesed you can get a huge boost of gear, spells, rings and weapons very early because screw balance.

Mistel

Banned
Also has one of the highest damages of the straight swords..
How did you work that one out then? Even going by base stats it's weaker than every other straight sword with 145 damage a broken straight sword is stronger than it with 160 damage.

With RVinP stats with 14 STR and 20 DEX it is inferior to most straight swords. The only sword it's superior to is the broken straight sword. With his stats the strongest are the vargarian sword and the drakekeeper.

v1perz53

How did you work that one out then? Even going by base stats it's weaker than every other straight sword with 145 damage a broken straight sword is stronger than it with 160 damage.

With RVinP stats with 14 STR and 20 DEX it is inferior to most straight swords. The only sword it's superior to is the broken straight sword. With his stats the strongest are the vargarian sword and the drakekeeper.

I was going based off un-upgraded weapons. Puzzling scales terribly with upgrades, goes from 120 at +0 to 145 at +5. At +0, compared to all other +0 straight swords it is only out damaged by Varangian, Red Rust and Drakekeeper, two of which are not applicable for low SM builds. Unless fextralife is off on the weapon damage for the sword.

I was only mentioning +0 stuff in the context of using for low SM stuff, since upgrading costs souls and getting titanite increases your SM. Drakekeeper is irrelevant when talking about anything low SM, Varangian is superior damage wise though for sure, but again kind of irrelevant for low SM stuff because who knows how many souls you will get trying to farm it. the only weapons really relevant in that specific context are guaranteed loot that you can buy or find on a corpse.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Its a good weapon if you get it earlier with low stats requirements.

Since the DLC doesnt require anything to be accesed you can get a huge boost of gear, spells, rings and weapons very early because screw balance.

Played a bit to get the Drakeblood armor and weapon, had to kill one enemy who couldn't be avoided for a safer progression.

.Giant Club has 329 damage, when wielded in two hands

Note that I haven't upgraded any of the weapons, I only have Ring of Blades and
Flynn's Ring
equipped for damage boost.

Drakeblood Set, Drakeblood Greatsword
5336E1F95EE5BED534799FC61BFEF55CBC7747F7

Mistel

Banned
I was going based off un-upgraded weapons. Varangian is superior damage wise though for sure, but again kind of irrelevant for low SM stuff because who knows how many souls you will get trying to farm it.
You could of got a vargarian sword in probably at a lower SM than the puzzling it's an uncommon drop from an enemy that gives you 200 souls at base difficulty.

Mistel

Banned
Somehow missed this post. In what sense? With what stat distribution? Using which flame/weapon? I think there's something I'm missing here.
Minimum 30/30 INT/FTH with a maxed pyromancy glove for one. Probably a cathia's chime if you want to cast fast with hexes. If I knew what equipment your friend used I could probably tell you what they are weakest too.

Is the Rulers Sword at all? It says it gets more powerful the more souls you have, is it a significant amount? Do you need lots of souls to make it viable? And it is an endless increase or is there a cap?

nynt9

Minimum 30/30 INT/FTH with a maxed pyromancy glove for one. Probably a cathia's chime if you want to cast fast with hexes. If I knew what equipment your friend used I could probably tell you what they are weakest too.

Warped sword and spears, he's mostly a dex guy.

Mistel

Banned
Is the Rulers Sword at all? It says it gets more powerful the more souls you have, is it a significant amount? Do you need lots of souls to make it viable? And it is an endless increase or is there a cap?
You need a lot of souls on hand if you want to make it the most viable it can be it caps of at a million for added damage bonus. If I recall correctly it also gets a penalty too if you've got sub 300 thousand souls.
Warped sword and spears, he's mostly a dex guy.
So he's either dual wielding dex or poke machine. That means you've got to punish them when their stamina runs out. There's also a hex that raises equip load that would be perfect for that.

What sort of armor is he in?

Somehow missed this post. In what sense? With what stat distribution? Using which flame/weapon? I think there's something I'm missing here.

Since hexes and pyromancy are the best spells in the game right now by their dynamism and faster casting, pretty strong in early game compared to miracles and sorcering that requires a more ingame progression to get better.

Hexes requires Int and Faith to scale but it scales better with Int and just the required faith for the spells. hexes are infamous to destroy your enemies mostly instantly and are commonly used as set of traps or strike the enemy when you are using a melee or pyromancy.

Even its most basic spell is a beast in both PVE and PVP enviroments.

Pyromancy relies on the fire glove but scales with Int (30) and faith (30) stats too, this caster branch is commonly use to troll or keeping the enemy at a safe distance then change your tactic to melee just to simply punish the enemy with a shot faster, nearly instant fire spell.

I general stats, you need 50 in Att, Int 40 and Faith 40 to use most of the spells and get that Int bonus scale to work, except maybe for the life drain path. without counting your melee weapon requires stats

For melee weapons you can use a Whip, a curved sword, a claymore or a weapons that suits you better to realize quick attacks and stuns. (ask Storm or Ruuppa for our promotional info)

v1perz53

Hexes requires Int and Faith to scale but it scales better with Int and just the required faith for the spells. hexes are infamous to destroy your enemies mostly instantly and are commonly used as set of traps or strike the enemy when you are using a melee or pyromancy.

I actually thought that hexes scaled based on the lowest of your int and faith, so that you would always want to keep int/faith balanced for maximum damage? For example for Dark Orb it requires 12 int 10 faith, and if you just met the requirement your dark bonus would scale off your 10 faith, but if you bump faith to 13 then it would scale based off your 12 int. I know that is how dark scaling works, do hexes scale off something other than dark bonus?

Mistel

Banned
I actually thought that hexes scaled based on the lowest of your int and faith, so that you would always want to keep int/faith balanced for maximum damage?
Hexes don't work like dark BNS as far as I'm aware. It soft caps at roughly about 60/60 for both with regards to dark BNS.

I actually thought that hexes scaled based on the lowest of your int and faith, so that you would always want to keep int/faith balanced for maximum damage? For example for Dark Orb it requires 12 int 10 faith, and if you just met the requirement your dark bonus would scale off your 10 faith, but if you bump faith to 13 then it would scale based off your 12 int. I know that is how dark scaling works, do hexes scale off something other than dark bonus?

I actually depends on the catalyst to scale like a sorcerer, staff (int), chime (faith) reaching the soft cap in 30/30. So is really easy to use a hibrid staff to use standar hexers and be a sorcerer hibrid but still you need a chime to acesss the exclusive late game hexes.

So, do I just suck or is there a trick to beating
Elana
? There's just too much random stuff going on, I have to rely on summons, none of which do any better than me. I think I've tried this battle ten times now, mostly helping others, and I've never seen anyone win.

It combines the most annoying aspects of several other bossfights...

Obviously, I'm on NG+ because my main character had beaten the game, but still.

Flynn's Ring
)
.lower Soul Memory

Also
Drakeblood Set

This would be interesting if SM didn't make that window of advantage fleetingly small the more you win with your twinked-out build. Sounds like a lot of work for a limited benefit.

Mistel

Banned
Elana
? There's just too much random stuff going on, I have to rely on summons, none of which do any better than me. I think I've tried this battle ten times now, mostly helping others, and I've never seen anyone win.

What are you using against Elana? It's more of a fight where you focus on her an just hope for the best against her and her summons.

Elana

Dont kill her summons and/or let one skeleton alive to block her a refreshed summon call, then one of your allies or you kite the summon away from her and let the other two kill her. That boss is annoying bullet sponge to deal try to rotate around her to or tank her behind your teammates because her AOEs can miss you but kill your allies.

In second phase when you fight the sha kill the goddam sha mobs then run kill garrosh.

Elana

Summons would definitely help distract her summons a bit while you focus on her, or vice versa.
If you're gonna do it solo you basically have to get lucky with what she decides to summon - if she summons skeletons just kill them, if she summons Velstadt just kite him and focus on Elana when you get the chance. I rarely got the chance for more than one blow at a time, so don't get greedy. Chomp a Green Blossom and buff your weapon before entering the fog door so you can make the most of the very brief window of opportunity before she decides to attack - you should be able to get her to less than 3/4 usually. If you get lucky she might summon early and give you the chance to get her down to almost 1/2 before her first summon hits the field.

Definitely the hardest boss of the DLC, in my opinion.

nynt9

Since hexes and pyromancy are the best spells in the game right now by their dynamism and faster casting, pretty strong in early game compared to miracles and sorcering that requires a more ingame progression to get better.

Even its most basic spell is a beast in both PVE and PVP enviroments.

Pyromancy relies on the fire glove but scales with Int (30) and faith (30) stats too, this caster branch is commonly use to troll or keeping the enemy at a safe distance then change your tactic to melee just to simply punish the enemy with a shot faster, nearly instant fire spell.

I general stats, you need 50 in Att, Int 40 and Faith 40 to use most of the spells and get that Int bonus scale to work, except maybe for the life drain path. without counting your melee weapon requires stats

For melee weapons you can use a Whip, a curved sword, a claymore or a weapons that suits you better to realize quick attacks and stuns. (ask Storm or Ruuppa for our promotional info)

I've decided to go this route. Started a Sorcerer. What spells should I use while going through the game, and what are some essential items that I have to pick up? Aka how do I get fast through the game and get where I want?

Top Bottom