• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Haunted

http://a.pomf.se/cbniiu.webm

Cheating is getting out of hand :v
Dota2_RubickMV.jpg

zewone

Finished SL1 run last night.

My first time attempting this in a Souls game.

I don't really feel like it's that hard. I guess some people just like to limit themselves?

It got very boring just using the mace the entire game.

nynt9

You should go get a roaring halberd then if you want a dark weapon it's got the halberd moveset with low requirements at max it's a 310/210 split with A/C scaling. You'd only need to raise DEX 1 point to use it. Plus it already got dark naturally so it will scale with your stats nicely.

Yeah I just got it and I dig this. I'm also now wearing Licia's set. Feeling pretty good about it right now! I'm also using Archdrake Staff and Licia's Chime. What's the next upgrade to my gear I should strive for?

Mistel

Banned
Yeah I just got it and I dig this. I'm also now wearing Licia's set. Feeling pretty good about it right now! I'm also using Archdrake Staff and Licia's Chime. What's the next upgrade to my gear I should strive for?
Get fire seeds for your pyromancy glove and get the dull ember so you can infuse stuff.

Ruuppa

Finished SL1 run last night.

My first time attempting this in a Souls game.

I don't really feel like it's that hard. I guess some people just like to limit themselves?

It got very boring just using the mace the entire game.

Try with no upgrades next. It does get dreadfully boring swinging the mace after a while. You can spice it up by using the +Int/Faith Rings and Southern Ritual Band. Can actually cast some spells that way, if you invest in some Incense.

The only real difficulty in SL1 is the lack of a good dodgeroll. If you've gotten used to a really good Agility, and the roll it brings, trying to roll through attacks and subsequently getting hit can be frustrating. It was easier in DkS1.

Edit: Holy crap. You can drop Smoothstones to the Crows one by one without exiting your inventory to pick them up in between drops. Goddammit. That blew my mind.

Ruuppa

Just figured this out this week as well, saw it in Kay's LP actually.

It's so much better than how I was previously doing it, goddamn.

But even that method was about a billion times faster than in the prequel. That was crazy, especially with the instakill ledge right next to you.

SoldnerKei

I know
Straid
, when I said "I was wondering" I meant "what item should I trade it for" :p

regarding this, since the last patch, what Boss weapon is viable regardless if it's PvP or PvE?

I just made some because they looked cool, but the only one I ever use it's the Pursuer Great Sword, I have OHK some people with a backstab with that thing, obviously landing that is quite uncommon, but pretty satisfying, and when I help people I can take a bunch of life from bosses with the same weapon

I used the Dragonrider Bow too, but Hunter's Blackbow uses less stamina, and I mainly use it for poisoning, so I keep using that one

neoism

man you know a game is sooooooooooo good when you think of it all day but still don't play it lol I think about this game everyday and sometimes dont play it because I don't have time or am too fuckked up or want to savor the time I play it but still................ thinks guys for your awesome posts... you make it harder to not play it when I dont have time or other things come around 4 months in this is without a doubt my game of the year...
<3
http://a.pomf.se/cbniiu.webm

Cheating is getting out of hand :v

lol damn..

;o

The STR/INT/FTH with the crypt black sword. Or just pure STR.
I've decided to try a melee centric build this time, since I've already got a str/fth/int build on my NG++ character.

That said, I would like to have a ranged weapon to mix up the combat some and aggro enemies. Is the avelyn still the best crossbow in the game? I heard they nerfed mundane...

Ruuppa

I've decided to try a melee centric build this time, since I've already got a str/fth/int build on my NG++ character.

That said, I would like to have a ranged weapon to mix up the combat some and aggro enemies. Is the avelyn still the best crossbow in the game? I heard they nerfed mundane...

Avelyn is still strong, if you hit with all three bolts. But you have to be really lucky to hit with all of the bolts and the individual bolts aren't especially strong. Plus it's slow. Light Crossbow and Sanctum Crossbow are good, but they're more for plinking your opponent when they get too far. They have quite good recovery speed though.

That mostly applies to PVP tho'. PVE Avelyn is still good.

Avelyn is still strong, if you hit with all three bolts. But you have to be really lucky to hit with all of the bolts and the individual bolts aren't especially strong. Plus it's slow. Light Crossbow and Sanctum Crossbow are good, but they're more for plinking your opponent when they get too far. They have quite good recovery speed though.

That mostly applies to PVP tho'. PVE Avelyn is still good.
Yeah this is going to be a PvE focused build in preparation for the DLC.

Mistel

Banned
If you're going the ranged option you could do no worse than an Alonne greatbow very useful in PvE. Quite damaging too if you know what you're doing.

Brakke

Banned
Somehow missed the train on the DLC for this (probably because I was sort of sour on it after getting the platinum). Picked up the first a couple days ago on a lark and I gotta say I'm really into dragon sanctum. I just beat the red dude on the bridge, looking forward to the rest. I'm really into the style of these Cthulonic pyramids.

Not sure if it's harder than the rest of the game or if I'm still just ramping back up (and in NG++ no less). My spells and miracles are hilariously worthless against most of the enemies in the area... Maybe I should respec my dude.

Try with no upgrades next. It does get dreadfully boring swinging the mace after a while. You can spice it up by using the +Int/Faith Rings and Southern Ritual Band. Can actually cast some spells that way, if you invest in some Incense.

The only real difficulty in SL1 is the lack of a good dodgeroll. If you've gotten used to a really good Agility, and the roll it brings, trying to roll through attacks and subsequently getting hit can be frustrating. It was easier in DkS1.

Edit: Holy crap. You can drop Smoothstones to the Crows one by one without exiting your inventory to pick them up in between drops. Goddammit. That blew my mind.
Yeah it's a nice feature. The first time I traded with them I was used to the quitting and loading back in, like in the first one. Then When I dropped a second one, I was like hmmm I wonder if they made it so we don't need to quit out. So glad I tried heh. I found out about the multi drop from my friend though.
BTW if you don't know, petrified something gives the highest chances for rare items, although I have gotten a few Channlers Tridents from Small Smooth & Silky Stones.

v1perz53

Yeah it's a nice feature. The first time I traded with them I was used to the quitting and loading back in, like in the first one. Then When I dropped a second one, I was like hmmm I wonder if they made it so we don't need to quit out. So glad I tried heh. I found out about the multi drop from my friend though.
BTW if you don't know, petrified something gives the highest chances for rare items, although I have gotten a few Channlers Tridents from Small Smooth & Silky Stones.

Now if only I could drop a whole stack of them, instead of having to drop them one by one that would be the best, like what they did with using consumable souls. I always end up accidentally using one or two when trying to quickly exchange a bunch of them. Like when I farmed sunlight medals offline, I had close to 50 smooth and silky stones at the end. Still infinitely better than Snuggly trading in DkS 1 though. Another thing better in DkS 2, I can actually use the start button to skip through intro splash screens faster on PC, thank god. Made snuggly even worse on PC than PS3.

Is there any good early game shield? I only found the buckler and it has a 13 DEX requirement. Urgh.

You can buy a shield off Maughlin in majula for 1500 souls with 90% physical defense that only requires you to have 10 str. Next best would be a blue wooden shield you can find after a while in forest of fallen giants with 85% physical reduction but only requires 6 str. 100% block shields are much rarer in this game than in DkS 1, especially early game.

Now if only I could drop a whole stack of them, instead of having to drop them one by one that would be the best, like what they did with using consumable souls. I always end up accidentally using one or two when trying to quickly exchange a bunch of them. Like when I farmed sunlight medals offline, I had close to 50 smooth and silky stones at the end. Still infinitely better than Snuggly trading in DkS 1 though. Another thing better in DkS 2, I can actually use the start button to skip through intro splash screens faster on PC, thank god. Made snuggly even worse on PC than PS3.

You can buy a shield off Maughlin in majula for 1500 souls with 90% physical defense that only requires you to have 10 str. Next best would be a blue wooden shield you can find after a while in forest of fallen giants with 85% physical reduction but only requires 6 str. 100% block shields are much rarer in this game than in DkS 1, especially early game.

I wish you could offer covenant items quickly like they did with souls items too. That shit takes so long still. I ended up getting DScFix and DSFix which allowed you to delete the intro screens, so you were at the start screen instantly :p.

v1perz53

I wish you could offer covenant items quickly like they did with souls items too. That shit takes so long still. I ended up getting DScFix and DSFix which allowed you to delete the intro screens, so you were at the start screen instantly :p.

Gah that option existed with DSFix/DScFix? I tried googling for a way to make that happen but I didn't know how to phrase it well enough, that is so useful.

ElTopo

Banned
Quick question. In NG++ are there more phantoms than in NG+? I assume more bosses will have Phantom assistance. Any other noticeable differences?

Gah that option existed with DSFix/DScFix? I tried googling for a way to make that happen but I didn't know how to phrase it well enough, that is so useful.

Yeah, in the text file you get that lets you change the graphics and FPS and such, under Other Options the first one has skip intro screen, change it from a 0 to a 1. Now you instantly go to the Dark Souls screen, it's so glorious.

CHC

So am I "rude" for leveling my dude past 150? I had millions of souls so I went to level 218. Now when I duel or get invaded I win at least 2 out of 3 times. That said, I fight using only a Drakekeeper's Sword (straight sword), no spells, no buffs, no gimmicks, only medium armor.

On one hand I feel like I am just outmaneuvering and beating most people fair and square, on the other hand I am wondering if this is placebo effect since I have 40 str, 40 dex, 50 vigor.

So am I "rude" for leveling my dude past 150? I had millions of souls so I went to level 218. Now when I duel or get invaded I win at least 2 out of 3 times. That said, I fight using only a Drakekeeper's Sword (straight sword), no spells, no buffs, no gimmicks, only medium armor.

On one hand I feel like I am just outmaneuvering and beating most people fair and square, on the other hand I am wondering if this is placebo effect since I have 40 str, 40 dex, 50 vigor.

Uhm, for getting invaded, not really. If they have the same SM as you, they could have easily been within your level range, and them not leveling it up is their problem, they could also be past 150, so there's that. However, the way I see it, duels should be where you're both on equal playing field, which is why they should use SL in duels not SM. But again, you have no idea if they are honouring the 150 level too, so I say play it safe and be whatever level you want to be.

I think 150 is the meta for pvp, but you can level up and still find pvp and coop but since ascestics can reset and the vendor with all the spell is in NG+++ you would be alone if you level up more.

I don't honestly think DSII has a "meta" range that the community as a whole has agreed on. SM means there's basically no point to trying to stay within a specific bracket for very long, unless I'm missing something.

Level to wherever you feel comfortable and don't worry about what other people are doing. Matchmaking is done entirely through Soul Memory in this game so you'll find PVP no matter what level your character is.

I don't honestly think DSII has a "meta" range that the community as a whole has agreed on. SM means there's basically no point to trying to stay within a specific bracket for very long, unless I'm missing something.

Not an official one but 150 is where "mayority" goes to do pvp, the same happened in DS1's 120 sl.

Not an official one but 150 is where "mayority" goes to do pvp, the same happened in DS1's 120 sl.

I never understood that for PvP, I thought you invade infinitely up? So wouldn't you always be able to get invaded regardless of your level? You may not be able to invade as much since many people would likely not be very high, but by being a much higher level you'd have an advantage. Co-Op wise I can understand since it was like 10 +/- 10% or something along those lines. Now it's all SM which kinda sucks for the PvPers, but works nicely for us who engage in Jolly Cooperation!

I never understood that for PvP, I thought you invade infinitely up? So wouldn't you always be able to get invaded regardless of your level? You may not be able to invade as much since many people would likely not be very high, but by being a much higher level you'd have an advantage. Co-Op wise I can understand since it was like 10 +/- 10% or something along those lines. Now it's all SM which kinda sucks for the PvPers, but works nicely for us who engage in Jolly Cooperation!

No idea, I think the invaders are the ones who really have fun in that pvp area.

Ruuppa

No idea, I think the invaders are the ones who really have fun in that pvp area.

Invaders, duel-signs, co-op.. It all rolls into a nice neat ball where all of those happen most often on the established metaSL in DkS1. Red Eye Orb and Red Soapstone did invade infinitely up, yes, but priority was always given to players closer in SL.

In DkS2, if you look at the stats from Farfire, you can see that most people stick to SL 200 (or 200 to 250?). So that might indicate the new meta SL. Anywhere around or under that is pretty much fine in terms of general fairness.

I think the "rudeness" goes more by what you wear and use, rather than your SL. Full HavelSmelter with Jester's chest and playing with full buffs etc., yeah. That's annoying. Looks like crap too.

I was just defeated by the ultimate parry spam... Four parries in a row! I swiped at him with my dagger as he parried once, then he knocked me down with the second parry, but then he went for two more just to be safe.

Obviously compensating for lag, but it still made me laugh.

nynt9

re: SM and matchmaking, all my friends use this mod called metacap that modifies your SM so you can be matched with people according to SL and not SM.

re: SM and matchmaking, all my friends use this mod called metacap that modifies your SM so you can be matched with people according to SL and not SM.

Even with metacap it's still using SM for matchmaking, so with the most recent patch adding more tiers to SM and increasing the ranges or all types of co-op/PVP you won't be seeing SL-style matchmaking. At SL 150 and 3 million SM you can still match up with people up to 15 million SM by using a Cracked Red Eye Orb.

CHC

Eh well good to hear that I'm not some cheap ass for going to low 200s. I feel like fights are more fair now and I've always liked beating people with just a sword and shield anyway. I'm at around SM 10 million and there is still plenty of PvP (constant invasions). A lot of people fight fair and use interesting weapon combos but there are still many who spam Dark Orbs or Homing Crystal Soulmass relentlessly and who you hit for like 1% of their health on a swing.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Citing references/inspiration from Bloodborne, is there a skybox replacement for Majula.

.pull the skybox texture from Last Bastille
.override it for Majula

Use PostFX or ENB to turn Majula color tone from red/orange to bluish.

Edit: Then use external program to switch between the bright skybox vs the dark one, upon certain conditions? (modded static day and static night cycle?)

Top Bottom