• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

ecosse_011172

Pretty much what I was going to suggest yes. You should be alright maybe... probably...

It ain't much of an issue it's pretty much identical except the great axe is more preferable.

I helped some peeps with No Mans Wharf boss, levelled up and then some dude helped me kick the Sentinel's ass, I now have 30K Souls.

VGR 16
END 20
VIT 14
ATN 6
STR 25
DEX 16
ADP 17
IN 5
FTH 5

Loving this game, playing online (which I never did with the previous Souls games) is loads of fun.
Hmm, ADP, END and maybe VGR methinks.
Hold on, I don't have the Silvercat Ring so haven't went down the Majula hole, maybe that's worth it...

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm on vacation all next week, so you guys are going to be ahead of me...again.
You poor soul ;)
I remember when Dark Souls came out, I had pre-ordered it, but had to ship it to my in-laws, because it came out while I was away in a Mediterranean cruise... I was all mad* that by the time I'd come back all my friends would have beaten it. xD

no, not really

I'm working my way through the game on a new character, but still torn on what type of build I want to go with for the new DLC.

What generally wrecks more face in PvE? A str/int/fth build using Crypt Blacksword with hexes/pyros, or a str/dex build using RIT and Avelynn? Any other suggestions?

SoldnerKei

damn, dlc incoming next week, this will be the one with the
kung fu
movesets right?

I wonder if they will add another piece of the Flower set, this game needs more kawaii stuff like that for FashionSouls' sake

You poor soul ;)
I remember when Dark Souls came out, I had pre-ordered it, but had to ship it to my in-laws, because it came out while I was away in a Mediterranean cruise... I was all mad* that by the time I'd come back all my friends would have beaten it. xD

no, not really

I think I may have heard you mention that elsewhere! Or maybe I'm imagining it.

Yeah, I shouldn't whine that I can't play the game I want to play on the vacation I'm very lucky to have. Souls is too stressful for vacation anyway. This will be the week of Animal Crossing.

Mistel

Banned
What generally wrecks more face in PvE? A str/int/fth build using Crypt Blacksword with hexes/pyros, or a str/dex build using RIT and Avelynn? Any other suggestions?
The STR/INT/FTH with the crypt black sword. Or just pure STR.
kung fu
movesets right?
Possibly it will be some of the content added. Most likely will be along with the Artoiras moveset.
Thanks, is it worth going down the pit for a non magic build?
There's easy chunk farming right at the bottom and there's several good STR weapons to gain from it.

I've decided to go this route. Started a Sorcerer. What spells should I use while going through the game, and what are some essential items that I have to pick up? Aka how do I get fast through the game and get where I want?

Since you want to go hexes and pyro, you need to go for the forest of giants get the heide sword/bastard sword and go back to majula. Then go for the heide's area which can be accessed on the tunnel near of the cat house beat the area (two bosses, 1 saint ashes) and you can finally meet Lycia a miracle trainer exhaust her dialogue to move her to majula.

Proceed to the next area then you will be in No man wharf, beat the area (1 boss, 1 estus fragment), before reaching the ship go to the right and you will meet the sorcerer trainer, again exhaust his dialogue to move him to majula. Beat the boss and you will get the fire glove and a pyro spell. You will be moved to Bastille, find a bonfire a return to majula

In Majula talk to Lycia (in the same tunnel to Heide)to unlock the hunstman area and get access to the Hexes trainer (a guy sitting in a chair).

While you are in your travel try to upgrade at least 20 faith/int (without counting your melee stats) before reaching the hexes trainer to get his set.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I wonder if they will add another piece of the Flower set, this game needs more kawaii stuff
image.php

neoism

Since you want to go hexes and pyro, you need to go for the forest of giants get the heide sword/bastard sword and go back to majula. Then go for the heide's area which can be accessed on the tunnel near of the cat house beat the area (two bosses, 1 saint ashes) and you can finally meet Lycia a miracle trainer exhaust her dialogue to move her to majula.

Proceed to the next area then you will be in No man wharf, beat the area (1 boss, 1 estus fragment), before reaching the ship go to the right and you will meet the sorcerer trainer, again exhaust his dialogue to move him to majula. Beat the boss and you will get the fire glove and a pyro spell. You will be moved to Bastille, find a bonfire a return to majula

In Majula talk to Lycia (in the same tunnel to Heide)to unlock the hunstman area and get access to the Hexes trainer (a guy sitting in a chair).

While you are in your travel try to upgrade at least 20 faith/int (without counting your melee stats) before reaching the hexes trainer to get his set.

man I love his hood besssss hood in da game.. I've used it for over 100 hours... <3
Never thought I'd like PVPing soo much... man the dragon curved sword is awesome a little bulky but awesome...

kung fu
movesets right?

I wonder if they will add another piece of the Flower set, this game needs more kawaii stuff like that for FashionSouls' sake

yeah agreed.. I love the cat pants had no idea in my first play-through.. I love that I still find new stuff in this game... I didn't like the flower skirt though looks meh...

nynt9

Should I buy the miracle staff or the sorcery staff from him? (Or neither?)

Mistel

Banned
If that's Felkin you're talking about get the archdrake staff it's got decent scaling A/A at max with 190/230 damage split it's pretty decent dark infused for hexes.

It depends, if you are new into DS2 I recommend you to buy both since there is not a good staff/chime before meeting him and start exploring for your own. Also lycia have a powerful chime but requires 30 faith.

There are specific hibrid staffs (sorcery/hexes) and dark chimes for hexes but most of the chimes have the same power for miracles and dark

nynt9

It depends, if you are new into DS2 I recommend you to buy both since there is not a good staff/chime before meeting him and start exploring for your own. Also lycia have a powerful chime but requires 30 faith.

There are specific hibrid staffs (sorcery/hexes) and dark chimes for hexes but most of the chimes have the same power for miracles and dark

So, I've finished the game before but I haven't really dug deep. How much upgrade material is available in the game? What should I be upgrading? I don't think the Heide sword is endgame material so I don't know if spending upgrade mats higher than +4 is meaningful on it. Also, what soul level should I "stop" at for PVP? Finally, do I use the vanilla pyro flame or the dark one?

Mistel

Banned
So, I've finished the game before but I haven't really dug deep. How much upgrade material is available in the game? What should I be upgrading? I don't think the Heide sword is endgame material so I don't know if spending upgrade mats higher than +4 is meaningful on it. Also, what soul level should I "stop" at for PVP? Finally, do I use the vanilla pyro flame or the dark one?
Answers:
  1. Upgrade material is more or less infinite.
  2. You should be upgrading your weapon, armor and spell tools.
  3. The heide knight sword is a endgame viable weapon so it is worth upgrading it.
  4. Matchmaking is SM based SL doesn't really matter at all.
  5. Use vanilla unless you want to go full hollow glass canon then pick the dark.

The only limited material would be the dragon scales and the twinkle titanite but after the DLC there is a soft zone to farm that titanite infinity times

v1perz53

The only limited material would be the dragon scales and the twinkle titanite but after the DLC there is a soft zone to farm that titanite infinity times

Wait, is there an area in the DLC to farm titanite chunks? Or are you talking about something else? Twinkling and Dragon Scales are pretty well infinite if you are ok using Aescetics in the dragon aerie, but it gets very annoying when the crystal lizards take 4 hits to kill.

Wait, is there an area in the DLC to farm titanite chunks? Or are you talking about something else? Twinkling and Dragon Scales are pretty well infinite if you are ok using Aescetics in the dragon aerie, but it gets very annoying when the crystal lizards take 4 hits to kill.

Yes, you can farm infinite twinkle titanites in the DLC and only requires killing two mobs

Odds are good that I'm the worst PVPer alive.

Get 50 STR Red Iron Twinblade +10, Full Havels +5, Third Dragon Ring, Royal Soldiers Ring +2 , Cloranthy Ring, enough VIT to be under 70% and like 50 VIG. Two hand the Red Iron Twinblade while having Blossom Shield on your back. Spin2win. I have lots of fun doing it to invaders. The build I'm doing is meant to tank hits while dealing significant damage to bosses. But when invaders come, I'm too lazy to switch things around, so I just spam RB and they die massive DPS and really good poise breaking.

Get 50 STR Red Iron Twinblade +10, Full Havels +5, Third Dragon Ring, Royal Soldiers Ring +2 , Cloranthy Ring, enough VIT to be under 70% and like 50 VIG. Two hand the Red Iron Twinblade while having Blossom Shield on your back. Spin2win. I have lots of fun doing it to invaders. The build I'm doing is meant to tank hits while dealing significant damage to bosses. But when invaders come, I'm too lazy to switch things around, so I just spam RB and they die massive DPS and really good poise breaking.

I think I lose so much because builds like that sound totally unappealing to me.

I think I lose so much because builds like that sound totally unappealing to me.

I don't PvP much, so none of my builds are ever made for PvP, they're usually made so I can solo bosses, or to help others cheese bosses. That's what I don't like about PvP, you can't really make a build that is both really fun for you to personally use, while also being viable in PvP, not in my eyes anyways.

Ruuppa

It's all about practice! Join the Bellbros and hunt for trespassers, that's one of the best ways to train your PVP skills.

Of course there is gear that can give you (sometimes in absurd amounts) an edge, but you can PVP proficiently in just about anything as long as you learn proper spacing and punish your opponent's mistakes. A lot of the same rules about fighting and learning bosses apply to PVP as well: Don't mash roll, don't mash R1, play it safe. Also: Learn your weapon's moveset! R1 is fine in PVE, but knowing when to backstepR1 and when to switch from 1h<->2h is important. If your opponent sees you doing the same stuff over and over again, he'll know exactly what to expect. Keep them on edge.

Learning how to counter the opponent's cheese is really important, so don't run away from those HavelSmelters with MonScims. But if you see this:

http://a.pomf.se/cbniiu.webm

Cheating is getting out of hand :v

Jump off a cliff. Quick.

Edit: Oh, and always roll or block when your opponent swings. Just because he looks to be miles away on your screen doesn't mean you aren't hugging him on his.

FloatOn

I've decided that my glass cannon build is shit so I respecced to STR and want to do a more tank style character.

I picked up havel's set yesterday just to use the shield but I'm having a hard time deciding what weapon I would want to use.

I'd like to avoid swords because they kind of bore me a this point. I have a +10 mace at the moment which I like but I'm kind of leaning towards mastodon halberd or drakekeepers warpick. How are the drops on those?

Mistel

Banned
I'd like to avoid swords because they kind of bore me a this point. I have a +10 mace at the moment which I like but I'm kind of leaning towards mastodon halberd or drakekeepers warpick. How are the drops on those?
The war pick is probably a bit harder to get but it's the better of the pair.

nynt9

For the pyro/hex build, I'm looking for a fast weapon that's supplementary. Preferably something that I can use to keep people from getting too close if possible. Any suggestions? I'm going for 40/40/50 int/fai/att, rest of the stats are whatever.

Mistel

Banned
For the pyro/hex build, I'm looking for a fast weapon that's supplementary. Preferably something that I can use to keep people from getting too close if possible. Any suggestions? I'm going for 40/40/50 int/fai/att, rest of the stats are whatever.
A claymore or halberd would be good a drakekeeper swrod if you've got one.

Just as a heads up for everyone there's server maintenance on the 25th of this month.

nynt9

A claymore or halberd would be good a drakekeeper swrod if you've got one.

Just as a heads up for everyone there's server maintenance on the 25th of this month.

I have a Black Knight Halberd but the stat requirements are a bit high. The regular halberd and claymore also have rather high requirements. How about the Dark Scythe? It's slightly lower in requirement and I think it does damage regardless of blocking.

Ruuppa

I have a Black Knight Halberd but the stat requirements are a bit high. The regular halberd and claymore also have rather high requirements. How about the Dark Scythe? It's slightly lower in requirement and I think it does damage regardless of blocking.

Scythes/Reapers are excellent, if you can nail down that sweet spot spacing. Otherwise they do rubbish damage. They're wicked cool though.

How about spears? They're quite good.

Guevara

I use a lightning-infused Heide Knight Sword on my Hex build. I know what you're thinking: that's not a dark weapon!

But with 40 faith the lightning damage is pretty good, and the weapon is light and easy to use. Moveset is divisive, but I happen to like it.

Mistel

Banned
A scythe isn't exactly the greatest it's got no thrust moves unlike the other two. If you can use a scythe you only need 2 more DEX for a claymore.

nynt9

I use a lightning-infused Heide Knight Sword on my Hex build. I know what you're thinking: that's not a dark weapon!

But with 40 faith the lightning damage is pretty good, and the weapon is light and easy to use. Moveset is divisive, but I happen to like it.

The moveset is my main issue with it, otherwise it's awesome.

A scythe isn't exactly the greatest it's got no thrust moves unlike the other two. If you can use a scythe you only need 2 more DEX for a claymore.

I guess you're right. But a claymore isn't cool :p Oh well.

Mistel

Banned
I guess you're right. But a claymore isn't cool :p Oh well.
You should go get a roaring halberd then if you want a dark weapon it's got the halberd moveset with low requirements at max it's a 310/210 split with A/C scaling. You'd only need to raise DEX 1 point to use it. Plus it already got dark naturally so it will scale with your stats nicely.

nynt9

You should go get a roaring halberd then if you want a dark weapon it's got the halberd moveset with low requirements at max it's a 310/210 split with A/C scaling. You'd only need to raise DEX 1 point to use it. Plus it already got dark naturally so it will scale with your stats nicely.

Just beat the Lords last night and was wondering what to do with the soul. I'll go for this one, thanks.

Top Bottom