• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

nynt9

Is it more feasible to get Great Chaos Fireball in NG++ or through the covenant? I really want that spell but I don't really want to go through the game 2 times, especially on harder difficulties since I have to keep my SL at a certain level.

Dunkelgrau

Guys, I am stuck at the Lost Bastille. I am on level 67 right now playing with a knight. I have no idea how to defeat the three ruin sentinels (even with one NPC and one online comrade we hadn't had a chance).

Normally I fight the bosses overpowered, but I am not allowed to farm right now, because I killed every enemy in every area I visited till now for ten times.
I also got now bonfire ascetic to farm and I am not sure if this is the right way in my situation.

Any suggestions?

nynt9

]blacky[;126278447 said:
Guys, I am stuck at the Lost Bastille. I am on level 67 right now playing with a knight. I have no idea how to defeat the three ruin sentinels (even with one NPC and one online comrade we hadn't had a chance).

Normally I fight the bosses overpowered, but I am not allowed to farm right now, because I killed every enemy in every area I visited till now for ten times.
I also got now bonfire ascetic to farm and I am not sure if this is the right way in my situation.

Any suggestions?

Which phase of the fight are you having problems with? Killing the first one by itself shouldn't be too hard.

Mistel

Banned
Is it more feasible to get Great Chaos Fireball in NG++ or through the covenant? I really want that spell but I don't really want to go through the game 2 times, especially on harder difficulties since I have to keep my SL at a certain level.
If PvP isn't your thing then NG++ is easier unless you can chain 500 victories in a row with no losses.
]blacky[;126278447 said:

Any suggestions?
Strike damage or just using a greatshield will help immensely with the ruin sentinels. Try to deal with the one on the platform first then the other two on the floor. Ascetics will make the enemies harder whilst offering more souls for them but it's irreversible and not the best idea if you're in a bind.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
]blacky[;126278447 said:

Any suggestions?

What is your current Soul Memory, because a right phantom can make all the difference.

Sullichin

]blacky[;126278447 said:

Any suggestions?

Use a weapon with strike damage like club/mace/two of them. They are easily staggered. Kill the first two as quickly as possible before dropping down.

v1perz53

I always hated SL restrictions for PvP. I really enjoy the feeling of progression and being able to build up my character, one of my favorite part of Souls games is that there are always stats you can increase. Once you can't level up, the only thing left is trying to win more than you lose. I guess that's why I was never into fighting games that much, no feeling of progression.

But I do understand the point/usefulness of it, I just wish there were different solutions that levelled the playing field for duels while leaving invasions untouched.

R1/RB when the person has been parried or stunned.

Yes but the enemies usually goes down then is smash time, I was refering to the frontal standing execution.

Maybe I am doing it wrong.

I start pressing L2 (parry) then there is a sound indicating I did it tright, the enemies got stunned and goes down to the ground, RB1 while the enemy is on the ground, SMASH!.

zewone

See this informative guide :p. I don't know how you could not actually manage to not parry with the banana it literally does it for you.

Probably the shit-tastic netcode.

I've mostly given up, as parry is useless when phantom pokes run the PVP world.

During boss battles too?

There is no difference in NG+ and ++ except enemies hitting harder and having more HP.

Oh and an NPC selling some hard to find spells.

Guevara

Thinking of making a THOR build:

• Craftsman Hammer in primary hand
  • Odin Blade (Heide Knight Sword?) in off hand
  • Lightning Spears/Great Lightning Spears/Sunlight Spear
  • Sunlight Blade/Great Pine Resin
  • Ax (for when I don't have Mjolnir)
  • Need a decent winged helmet
  • Drakeblood set (DLC) because of the red cape mostly
Difficulty: no shield, Thor don't block.

Probably the shit-tastic netcode.

I've mostly given up, as parry is useless when phantom pokes run the PVP world.

There is no difference in NG+ and ++ except enemies hitting harder and having more HP.

Oh and an NPC selling some hard to find spells.

Sorry, after reading this I doubled back on the post I quoted and realized they were talking about the shift from NG+ to NG++. Thought they meant NG to NG+. Sorry for any confusion.

I always hated SL restrictions for PvP. I really enjoy the feeling of progression and being able to build up my character, one of my favorite part of Souls games is that there are always stats you can increase. Once you can't level up, the only thing left is trying to win more than you lose. I guess that's why I was never into fighting games that much, no feeling of progression.

But I do understand the point/usefulness of it, I just wish there were different solutions that levelled the playing field for duels while leaving invasions untouched.
Well, the thing is people like doing builds, it's what makes PvP unique, usually people don't have the same build. but if everyone just keeps leveling up all their stats, the uniqueness goes away, rather than being really tanky and dealing moderate damage, or going glass cannon and dealing huge damage and rolling through everything, everyone is basically high health, high equip load and high damage. Which is why the community usually agrees on a level, so people can make builds and be unique. However, if you don't care for builds then it shouldn't really mater, all up to the player really.

Well, NG+ is the hardest transition, if you get NG+ down NG++ is just as easy, the increase from NG+ to NG++ isn't as massive as NG to NG+. You can also summon phantoms to help you, and co-op a lot, which if you d enough you can get through Shrine of Winter without needing to fight the four main bosses. All you need to do is:
Get 1 million SM on NG, 2M on NG+ and 3M in NG++, but it only counts the souls you accumulated in that playthrough, for example if you have 3M SM in NG+ you would need an additional 2M SM so your SM has ot be 5M to get through Shrine of Winter on NG+. I found that tons of people like to summon for Old Iron King, so you could try that.

I teared up at the ending :( such a powerful, moving video, and that music. Sad sad, so sad.

Brakke

Banned
So what's up with the Crown of the Sunken King? I have two options right now, fight Havel and his Jolly Cooperators, or fight Scary Witch Lady. I haven't challenged either because I was due for a respec, planning on going up against them tonight... but! I haven't really gotten any worthwhile loot? I got a couple crossbows that I don't care about, a big mace that poisons me, and a totally milquetoast high level sorcery. Plus I guess an armor set inside the pyramid. Did I miss some stash, are those boss souls valuable, or is there just not any big ticket gear in here?

So what's up with the Crown of the Sunken King? I have two options right now, fight Havel and his Jolly Cooperators, or fight Scary Witch Lady. I haven't challenged either because I was due for a respec, planning on going up against them tonight... but! I haven't really gotten any worthwhile loot? I got a couple crossbows that I don't care about, a big mace that poisons me, and a totally milquetoast high level sorcery. Plus I guess an armor set inside the pyramid. Did I miss some stash, are those boss souls valuable, or is there just not any big ticket gear in here?

The best loot you'll find in the DLC are the rings, IMO.

Mistel

Banned
I teared up at the ending :( such a powerful, moving video, and that music. Sad sad, so sad.
Watch the other ending them.
Did I miss some stash, are those boss souls valuable, or is there just not any big ticket gear in here?
You've missed a few things on the way there. Several pieces of armor, a straight sword, +3 resistance rings, and a greatsword of the top of my head. Some are drops others are found in the world from corpses or chests.

zewone

The best loot you'll find in the DLC are the rings, IMO.

There's at least two epic rings (depending on your build) you missed.

I really hope we get the (spoiler based on data logs and dlc)
other Clutch rings, especially Dark clutch
(spoiler based on data logs and dlc) in the next DLC

Yeah, it'd be weird if they just allowed it for the one element.

Personally I consider it proper recompense for From fucking with my miracles.

Watch the other ending them.

You've missed a few things on the way there. Several pieces of armor, a straight sword, +3 resistance rings, and a greatsword of the top of my head. Some are drops others are found in the world from corpses or chests.

Man, I was hoping for a backstab or something. I am disappoint.

EDIT: I derped and put that in that in the quote heh.

Yeah, it'd be weird if they just allowed it for the one element.

Personally I consider it proper recompense for From fucking with my miracles.

To be fair, you are supposed to be a caster/melee hybrid as a cleric. Although, making it 3 was a bit drastic. 5 would have been acceptable.

To be fair, you are supposed to be a caster/melee hybrid as a cleric. Although, making it 3 was a bit drastic. 5 would have been acceptable.

I don't even use the lightning miracles much honestly, I was mostly joking. A fully-upgraded Lightning Bow of Want has pretty much filled the niche that lightning miracles once served.

I don't even use the lightning miracles much honestly, I was mostly joking. A fully-upgraded Lightning Bow of Want has pretty much filled the niche that lightning miracles once served.

O I should try that, thanks for the tip :p. Also, only NG and NG+ are separate in terms of co-op, invading, etc, right? Like if I'm in NG+ I can still be summoned by people in NG++ and beyond, correct?

All new game cycles are separate in terms of player interaction.

Hard to please I guess.

Really? That blows. Only NG and NG+ should be separate, I guess I have to go into NG++ if I wanna continue to Co-Op :/. All I ask for is a bit of backstabbery, literally and metaphorically, is that too much to ask D:

Mistel

Banned
Yeah I did get a handful or rings. The naked man and the lightning damage, plus probably a couple resist rings. I don't really roll naked or lightning tho so hmm.
For flynn's ring you can still use armor with it. Don't go above 14 VIT or 10 VIT with third dragon crest ring.

zewone

Yeah I did get a handful or rings. The naked man and the lightning damage, plus probably a couple resist rings. I don't really roll naked or lightning tho so hmm.
The Naked ring actually gives you better AR depending on how close you are to 60.0 equip load max. +50AR max. So like a second Ring of Blades +2. Can also get +50AR with lightning ring, depending on weapon.

zewone

I was summoning invaders at Iron Keep when a second invader entered my world.

I killed the first guy and the second guy started doing the hacked hadoken moves on me. I ended up killing him but I was surprised to see it, since I thought this kind of hacking was only on PC.

PS3 by the way.

Just complete Dark Souls 2! WOOOOOOOT!

Now I'm just farming The Giant Lord with Bombfire ascetics and going to the Iron Keep for PVP.

My PVP build is kinda cheesy, I've got two Caestus, both level 10 and with Poison on both. Dear god I can wreck people. I've won my last 5 duels, just power stancing and hitting them with poison fists. Usually one or two hits is more than enough to get a player poisoned. The best part is that if I infect them they will have to swap to green moss and I can just lock them every time they try to cure themselves.

I think I may be evil. >:)

Ruuppa

You could make it even better with sanctum soldier gauntlets and the rat covenant ring. That would help in the long run.

Throw some pretty Butterfly cosplay on there and you're poison incarnate. It's a fun gimmick build, but the opponents really start turtling up after they see that poison meter go over half and it becomes a game of tag.

Mistel

Banned
You could counter poison rather easily with Yorgh's spear as it adds 200 poison resistance. You'd have to use it though to do that.

Ruuppa

If you have enough Vit, you can keep it in your weaponslot for just such an occasion. Bit of a waste though, since poisoners are rare. And it decreases your elemental resistances.

Unless I get absolutely stomped, I've been able to successfully poison my opponents every time with my poison build.

50 Dex, poison infused Manikin Sabre (for style), poison Spotted Whip, poison Black Stinger, and dual Mytha's Bent Blades. Combine that with the Sanctum Soldier Gauntlets and the Rat ring and you've got yourself some hefty poison without having to wear the ugly Butterfly gear :p

That whip though, such a high poison bonus! Backstabbing someone with it will activate the poison nine times out of ten.

Edit: Jeez, since poise was patched I guess parry spamming is now a real thing online. Twice I've had my opponent do three or four parries in my face as I'm hitting them with a small weapon. They just tank the first hit, the first parry misses, and then they catch the second hit with the spam :(

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
http://farfire.darksoulsii.com/pc/information/index.html

The following fixes, changes, and refinements are included in the update:
• Undead Crypt: Fixed the bell not ringing if you continuously attack the bell that appears after Ledia’s shaman appears.

Adjustments that will be made with Calibrations 1.10 (all following changes):
• Balanced fatal blows done on other players in online multiplayer
• Spell parry time and area of effect has been raised:

o Cleric's Parma
o Cleric's Small Shield
o Cursed Bone Shield
o Spirit Tree Shield
o Golden Wing Shield
o Shield of the Insolent
o Grand Spirit Tree Shield

• Spell parry time has been raised:
o King's Mirror

• Lowered damage caused by the following weapons:
o Defender's Shield
o Havel's Greatshield
o Gyrm Greatshield
o Dragonrider Greatshield

• Lowered defense of:
o Gyrm Helm
o Gyrm Warrior Helm
o Gyrm Warrior Greathelm
o Smelter Demon Helm
o Velstadt's Helm
o Black Witch Robe

• Raised effect of:
o Stone Ring

• Changed so the effect does not apply to spells:
o Red Tearstone Ring

• Raised defense against enemies in offline play only (multiplayer not affected)
o Ring of Steel Protection

• Lowered effect of:
o Clear Bluestone Ring +2

• Raised casting time and lowered strength of:
o Soul Spear

• Raised casting time, lowered strength, raised required magic slots, and raised usage count for:
o Crystal Soul Spear

• Lowered effectiveness of:
o Strong Magic Shield

• Lowered damage of:
o Soul Geyser
o Soul Shower
o Lightning Spear
o Great Lightning Spear
o Sunlight Spear
o Emit Force
o Blinding Bolt
o Heavenly Thunder
o Fire Whip
o Affinity
o Scraps of Life
o Resonant Soul
o Great Resonant Soul

• Spells “Sacred Oath” and “Bountiful Sunlight”
o Casting this on one’s self will now diffuse all support effects
o Having it cast by someone else will not diffuse other support effects
o Casting spells on yourself to create other support effects after having these used will diffuse the effect of the above spells
(players cannot use the effects of these spells in conjunction with other effects from spells they cast on themselves)

• Spells “Numbness” and “Resonant Flesh”
o Casting this on one’s self will now diffuse all support effects
o Casting spells on yourself to create other support effects after having these used will diffuse the effect of the above spells
(players cannot use the effects of these spells in conjunction with other effects from spells they cast on themselves)

Yessss. Fuck you, buff stackers and OHKO shadow dagger users. lol @ the CSS nerf, though. Why would you ever use it over Soul Spear now.

And no Monscim nerf ┐(´ー`)┌

Also, pretty into the Stone Ring buff.

Ruuppa

-Patchnotes-

-Bye bye OHKO parries/backstabs! Thank goodness for that.
-Stone Ring buff? With the broken Poise we now have? Righty-o.
-Nerfing Lightning spears some more? Uh. Right. It was so strong after the previous patch as well.
-No more buffstacking, at least with those four spells. GMB stacking still in effect.

Pretty good stuff. No mention of changing parries of curved swords, but if they remove the OHKO -element, I guess it's fine.

Top Bottom