• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Ruuppa

WHY?

Clerics are already undesirable, not even more so..

Gotta get people using them Hexes. I mean, no-one at all is using Hexes, so they really had to fix that. They were so underpowered man, that's why they didn't get their damage lowered like the other spellschools. /s

Edit: I cannot read. Goddammit.

neoism

Moving them less to easy mode throw lightning at everything under the sun, to a melee/FTH hybrid most likely. STR/FTH even DEX/FTH is effective at PvE and PvP(depending how good you are etc).

yeah Ive used lighting FTH for mostly all the time Ive played... I really dont like INT sorcery though will try hexes after this.... I am a little tried of having to have 50 FTH though since I'm gonna PVP more I'll just go STR/INT and use hexes and pyro for awhile...

Mistel

Banned
yeah Ive used lighting FTH for mostly all the time Ive played... I really dont like INT sorcery though will try hexes after this.... I am a little tried of having to have 50 FTH though since I'm gonna PVP more I'll just go STR/INT and use hexes and pyro for awhile...
Hexes scale from your casting tool for them dark BNS however scales from the lowest of your INT/FTH. That's why it's best to have them equal to maximize the damage you get from the dark BNS.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Moving them less to easy mode throw lightning at everything under the sun, to a melee/FTH hybrid most likely. STR/FTH even DEX/FTH is effective at PvE and PvP(depending how good you are etc).

Easy mode is relative
.I can find a few melee weapons in the game, which makes the game very easy at different sections
.I find the starting equipment/spells of a sorcerer character to be extremely OP for the initial stages of the game
..also in later stages sorcerer characters are OP
...more so with HEX spells

They made a FTH character irrelevant now, because of the progression and how encounters are presented in the base game itself (Dark Souls 2 specifically, not Dark Souls 1 or older games).

All the FTH spells have less reasons to be utilized, except in very few very specific weaker section of the game where its almost broken and in PvP (where they nerfed it now anyways)

Lightning Spears (and its successive ones) were all round spells which could be used everywhere, first they made less casts and now they are making it to do less damage.

Not to mention Lightning Spears already does tiny bits of damage to bosses during multiplayer PvE, its almost useless now.

ElTopo

Banned
WHY?

Clerics are already undesirable, now (edit 2) even more so.
*Its genocide*

Edit: Remember the days when there were Lightning Gods in the game, now they are just Clerics who generate sparks by static electricity.

Make you a bet that someone watched the DON'T play of DS2 and thought the Lightning Spells need to be nerfed.

I like what I'm seeing so far and I'm really glad they didn't nerf the Red Iron Twin Blade. I'd be so pissed if they did that.

onionfrog

WHY?

Clerics are already undesirable, now (edit 2) even more so.
*Its genocide*

Edit: Remember the days when there were Lightning Gods in the game, now they are just Clerics who generate sparks by static electricity.
I'm so glad I did a Cleric playthrough a month or two ago before all the nerfs.

Sorceries are getting down too? The souls shower *dirty toughts* wasnt that op to be nerfed but the soul geyser would be uselesss to bosses now and it is the main only funtion of the geyser.......

Poor priests their miracles would be focused in healing getting buffs but Hexes and Pyro are still dominating the caster area.....

Ruuppa

I consider myself lucky that I've never encountered a hacker.

At least the cheaters haven't found out a way to permanently bork your character like in DkS1. Just a matter of time of course, but the hacks we see now are a lot less malicious than the ones that were in the prequel.

Mistel

Banned
They made a FTH character irrelevant now, because of the progression and how encounters are presented in the base game itself (Dark Souls 2 specifically, not Dark Souls 1 or older games).
FTH still has the benefits of infusion on melee weapons that doesn't make it irrelevant, now miracle usage is shifted to more of a defensive role than an aggressive one.

v1perz53

Man, this is kind of a dumb complaint, but I wish the Silver Serpent ring (especially the +1 version) and the Tseldora set wasn't available so early, and was instead fairy late unless you did some VERY risky stuff like in Dark Souls 1. I've played through the beginning of this game so much, and more enjoy the later parts when I have a more full build that I feel almost obligated to use Tseldora/Silver. I mostly blame agility, because it is very awkward to go from a 105 agi character to a sub 90 agi guy, because your roll visually looks the same it just sucks more for no apparent reason unless you understand iframes. As an aside, I wish they went with different roll animations based on iframes, it is very un-intuitive having the same roll be better or worse without a visual cue as to why.

I guess I feel bad that I always have to murder Maughlin if I don't want a slow start in the game, and it makes all my characters feel very samey at the start. I could just not use it, but that would also make things less fun but for different reasons.

v1perz53

The set doesn't give that much of an increase, though. Maybe 2000 extra souls for most bosses and only a few hundred for enemies.

Wearing the full set (no ring yet) going to Heide's tower, the Old Knights are giving 497 souls instead of 400 normally. I think that's pretty significant! 25% increase in souls gained from enemies. And really, what is armor doing for me anyway, the difference between heavy and light armor in PvE in this game is only very slightly noticeable.

So I thought the damage nerf to the Lightning Spears was a mistake? Doesn't appear that way, since they're following through and making them weaker. Wonder how much Blinding Bolt was nerfed.

Mistel

Banned
Wearing the full set (no ring yet) going to Heide's tower, the Old Knights are giving 497 souls instead of 400 normally. I think that's pretty significant! 25% increase in souls gained from enemies. And really, what is armor doing for me anyway, the difference between heavy and light armor in PvE in this game is only very slightly noticeable.
Tseldora set offers a 22.5% increase for the full set. Combined with the silver serpent ring +1 you should be getting 42.5% increase in gained souls. It comes at a cost as you cannot expand Maughlin's inventory if you kill him. Plus the set is available as drops later on into the game.
So I thought the damage nerf to the Lightning Spears was a mistake? Doesn't appear that way, since they're following through and making them weaker. Wonder how much Blinding Bolt was nerfed.
It probably was intended to happen as how unbalanced lightning miracles were in general.

ElTopo

Banned
At least the cheaters haven't found out a way to permanently bork your character like in DkS1. Just a matter of time of course, but the hacks we see now are a lot less malicious than the ones that were in the prequel.

How would they do that? Would they just drop you in an environment where you can't use items?

v1perz53

Tseldora set offers a 22.5% increase for the full set. Combined with the silver serpent ring +1 you should be getting 42.5% increase in gained souls. It comes at a cost as you cannot expand Maughlin's inventory if you kill him. Plus the set is available as drops later on into the game.

It probably was intended to happen as how unbalanced lightning miracles were in general.

Yea, I don't think the tradeoff is strong enough I guess. If you spend 1000 souls before killing him, Maughlin will still sell everything eventually (I killed him on my first character for the set after spending 1000 souls, and he currently sells all boss armors and Avla when I use his tombstone). And to me, bonus souls are infinitely more valuable at the start of the game than later on. When an extra 150 souls per kill is equivalent to a full level every 6-8 kills, that is pretty strong.

I just wish armor felt stronger, or there were more strong rings early on. For late game, sure, using the ring is a tradeoff, same with the set. But early on, you don't even have 4 good rings to use otherwise, and the difference between fully naked and heavy armor against something like old knights is a tiny difference, so might as well put on the only early armor that has an added benefit.

Again, minor complaint, I just wish there was a compelling tradeoff.

Mistel

Banned
How would they do that? Would they just drop you in an environment where you can't use items?
Kill NPC's like the blacksmiths. Bump off Gywnevre that sort of thing.
Yea, I don't think the tradeoff is strong enough I guess. If you spend 1000 souls before killing him, Maughlin will still sell everything eventually (I killed him on my first character for the set after spending 1000 souls, and he currently sells all boss armors and Avla when I use his tombstone).

I just wish armor felt stronger, or there were more strong rings early on. For late game, sure, using the ring is a tradeoff, same with the set. But early on, you don't even have 4 good rings to use otherwise, and the difference between fully naked and heavy armor against something like old knights is a tiny difference, so might as well put on the only early armor that has an added benefit.
You can't get Avla before spending 15000 with him. With 1000 spent you get the elite knight and royal soldier sets unlocked from him. I disagree with you on the whole lack of early game rings that are useful thing. As for armor it's a trade off between using lighter stuff for lower defense or going heavy and having high defense.

v1perz53

Kill NPC's like the blacksmiths. Bump off Gywnevre that sort of thing.

You can't get Avla before spending 15000 with him. With 1000 spent you get the elite knight and royal soldier sets unlocked from him. I disagree with you on the whole lack of early game rings that are useful thing. As for armor it's a trade off between using lighter stuff for lower defense or going heavy and having high defense.

In my current save on PS3, which is still in NG but after killing
Nashandra
, I spent 1000 souls with Maughlin, then killed him. I spent more than 16000 souls with his tombstone, and now his tombstone sells Avla. I can currently buy it. All I can speak of are my own experiences, and that is the current state on my Maughlin killing character.

Anyway, about armor, even that tradeoff is a joke. Just tested on my character with 115 physical defense (fairly high, so should benefit heavy armor with good phys def scaling). Taking a full 3 hit combo from an Old Knight wearing full Havel vs totally naked was a difference in 8% damage taken, or around 150 damage. That is absolutely butt naked vs full Havels at high level. Difference between full Alonne and full Tseldora was only 5%, or around 100 HP. I found similar percentage difference results on lower level characters, but honestly there aren't many good heavy armor options early on, so I was stuck with Tseldora vs Knight Set. Sure, any amount of damage prevented could save your life, but it doesn't seem to me like heavy armor is good enough to justify the mobility tradeoff and stat investment to use it, especially early. Keep in mind, this is entirely based on PvE, heavy armor has a much more noticeable effect on PvP and I definitely prefer using it there.

I think the main disconnect is what I meant when I said early on. When I am talking early game, I mean things like clearing to the end of No Man's Wharf, and Clearing Forest of Lost Giants/Lost Bastille. I really don't see how any heavier armor options or rings you can get during this time outweigh ~40% more souls gained, giving you a decent boost of a few levels letting you meet the requirements for more fun and interesting weapons/spells earlier, and getting you to a useable agi level faster.

Man, this is kind of a dumb complaint, but I wish the Silver Serpent ring (especially the +1 version) and the Tseldora set wasn't available so early, and was instead fairy late unless you did some VERY risky stuff like in Dark Souls 1. I've played through the beginning of this game so much, and more enjoy the later parts when I have a more full build that I feel almost obligated to use Tseldora/Silver. I mostly blame agility, because it is very awkward to go from a 105 agi character to a sub 90 agi guy, because your roll visually looks the same it just sucks more for no apparent reason unless you understand iframes. As an aside, I wish they went with different roll animations based on iframes, it is very un-intuitive having the same roll be better or worse without a visual cue as to why.

I guess I feel bad that I always have to murder Maughlin if I don't want a slow start in the game, and it makes all my characters feel very samey at the start. I could just not use it, but that would also make things less fun but for different reasons.

I like it, it's a nice way to gain a nice amount of souls at the beginning so you can upgrade your equipment while not sacrificing too many levels. The second one is somewhat mid-game, but the first you get really early which is nice.

o Smelter Demon Helm

• Changed so the effect does not apply to spells:
o Red Tearstone Ring

• Lowered effect of:
o Clear Bluestone Ring +2

• Raised casting time and lowered strength of:
o Soul Spear

• Raised casting time, lowered strength, raised required magic slots, and raised usage count for:
o Crystal Soul Spear

• Lowered damage of:
o Soul Geyser
o Soul Shower
o Lightning Spear
o Great Lightning Spear
o Sunlight Spear
l

• Spells “Sacred Oath” and “Bountiful Sunlight”
o Casting this on one’s self will now diffuse all support effects
o Having it cast by someone else will not diffuse other support effects
o Casting spells on yourself to create other support effects after having these used will diffuse the effect of the above spells
(players cannot use the effects of these spells in conjunction with other effects from spells they cast on themselves)
Hopefully they didn't nerf it too much to where it's less than Havels Helm. Not that I like or dislike it at all, I just think it looks super funny with a full Havels set, so out of place it make me chuckle.

It applied to spells? I swear I tried ding it once and it didn't affect my spell damage and was like, well this was a waste of time.

D: Why they do this? Was it that overused and OP?

R.I.P Soul Spear, I rarely used thee anyways.

Soul Geyser sucked already...the cast time was super long, it took up like 3/4 of your stamina, it hardly landed all the hits, and was only really useful for large bosses. LS, GLS, SLS...welp time to delete my cleric, he's pretty much obsolete now.

Whut? What happens if you cast one on yourself, then another person casts the other on you, will you have them both?

Mistel

Banned
Anyway, about armor, even that tradeoff is a joke. Just tested on my character with 115 physical defense (fairly high, so should benefit heavy armor with good phys def scaling). Taking a full 3 hit combo from an Old Knight wearing full Havel vs totally naked was a difference in 8% damage taken, or around 150 damage. That is absolutely butt naked vs full Havels at high level.
Your telling me that full havel's even at base level is 731 physical defense let's you take only 8% more damage despite a 616 difference between the pair? How are you even working this out?

v1perz53

Your telling me that full havel's even at base level is 731 physical defense let's you take only 8% more damage despite a 616 difference between the pair? How are you even working this out?

I loaded up my game, walked up to the first Old Knight in Heide's, and let him hit me with his 3 attack combo totally naked and then again in Havel's. I was recording both times, and I used photoshop to measure the number of pixels my HP bar went down by in Havels vs naked, and then measured the total number of pixels of the HP bar (because unlike DkS 1, I don't know a way to find current HP values ingame, only max HP). When naked, my HP was at 68% of max after attacks, with full Havel's my HP was at 76% of max, a difference of 8% of my total HP or 150 HP, since 8% of the bar is 150 HP on that character.

I used un-upgraded Havels because it was all I had, and compares best against totally naked. I would like to compare fully upgraded Havels vs fully upgraded Tseldora but I don't have that yet (it is disingenuous to compare fully upgraded Havels vs non fully upgraded alternative, naked was just done as an absolute baseline).

I can upload the videos if you want. But many people assume armor does a whole lot more in this game than it actually does, due to the static nature of damage reduction. I just went and physically tested this and these are the exact values I found, if you want to test and find different values and let me know where I went wrong I would like it, I really wish armor is actually better than I am giving it credit for.

Again, armor is MUCH more useful in PvP than it is in PvE. I swear by heavy armor when I PvP, this comparison is purely against computer enemies.

Ruuppa

Ok, so that defense stuff sounded weird. Tested it out on the Old Knights myself.

- Naked - 54 Slash Def
- Havel - 974 Slash Def

Measured with a ruler, so might be off:
- 6.2cm lost with Naked
- 4.4cm lost with Havel

Out of a total of 18.3cm (2000HP). So I took ~30% less damage with full Havels. I did have only half of what v1perz53 had as his naked Slash def, and due to the way that the physical defense formula works, I don't doubt that ~8% that he got as a difference. It's pretty cray.

Are mundane builds still pretty good? I'm thinking of re-rolling, since I've gotten to the last DLC boss and just sort of put the game down for a few weeks. A new build would invigorate me.

Not looking for that old cheap Dual Avelyn. I was thinking of going with a dagger build, but I might need a beefier weapon to finish off the last DLC boss.

Mistel

Banned
I can upload the videos if you want. But many people assume armor does a whole lot more in this game than it actually does, due to the static nature of damage reduction. I just went and physically tested this and these are the exact values I found, if you want to test and find different values and let me know where I went wrong I would like it, I really wish armor is actually better than I am giving it credit for.
I don't doubt you it just seems a bit odd that it's not that much of a difference from nude to havel's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWSR9fnVd7A

I am attempting to make the game darker--similar to the alpha build. I am still adjusting it. Youtube obviously ruined some of the post-processing effects on lighting. I decreased some of them (Bloom and HDR strength) that are causing halos around weapons; they do not appear as halos during gameplay, as youtube ruined the video but some of them were excessive.

I didn't use SGSSAA. I used it in conjunction with SweetFX, and the game was still blurry even with LOD bias adjustments. I occasionally downsample from 4k and I get 60fps in most areas; Elana boss battle had slight FPS so I decided to stick with 1080p for challenge runs.

I loaded up my game, walked up to the first Old Knight in Heide's, and let him hit me with his 3 attack combo totally naked and then again in Havel's. I was recording both times, and I used photoshop to measure the number of pixels my HP bar went down by in Havels vs naked, and then measured the total number of pixels of the HP bar (because unlike DkS 1, I don't know a way to find current HP values ingame, only max HP). When naked, my HP was at 68% of max after attacks, with full Havel's my HP was at 76% of max, a difference of 8% of my total HP or 150 HP, since 8% of the bar is 150 HP on that character.

I used un-upgraded Havels because it was all I had, and compares best against totally naked. I would like to compare fully upgraded Havels vs fully upgraded Tseldora but I don't have that yet (it is disingenuous to compare fully upgraded Havels vs non fully upgraded alternative, naked was just done as an absolute baseline).

Again, armor is MUCH more useful in PvP than it is in PvE. I swear by heavy armor when I PvP, this comparison is purely against computer enemies.

Might just be those particular enemies, or that attack type(slashing, strike, etc). I'd personally try it out on various enemies with various attack types to make sure before dismissing armour against PvE entirely. I've found against some bosses, like smelter, I take significantly less damage than I would have if I were naked. It could also just be that you're still in NG, you could also try seeing if the same happens in NG+. Seems really weird and counterintuitive for armour to have such a low damage resist.

Ruuppa

Might just be those particular enemies, or that attack type(slashing, strike, etc). I'd personally try it out on various enemies with various attack types to make sure before dismissing armour against PvE entirely. I've found against some bosses, like smelter, I take significantly less damage than I would have if I were naked. It could also just be that you're still in NG, you could also try seeing if the same happens in NG+. Seems really weird and counterintuitive for armour to have such a low damage resist.

Keep in mind that Smelter uses Fire+Physical, and Elemental defenses are vastly more powerful than Physical.

Edit: Someone on reddit did some tests. 4 months ago, but they haven't overhauled the Physical defense system, so it should be accurate.

v1perz53

I am very curious, so I'll definitely test more. Benefit of being on PC is I can back up my save so I can test a few different things. I'll report back after more tests. I think most heavy armor looks much cooler than light, so I hope it has more use than I think!

http://farfire.darksoulsii.com/pc/information/index.html

Yessss. Fuck you, buff stackers and OHKO shadow dagger users. lol @ the CSS nerf, though. Why would you ever use it over Soul Spear now.

And no Monscim nerf ┐(´ー`)┌

Also, pretty into the Stone Ring buff.

Were people stacking Sacred Oath, Numbness and Resonant Flesh together? I don't know how I never thought of that, but I can see how that would would be horribly abusive and unfair.

SoldnerKei

http://farfire.darksoulsii.com/pc/information/index.html

Yessss. Fuck you, buff stackers and OHKO shadow dagger users. lol @ the CSS nerf, though. Why would you ever use it over Soul Spear now.

And no Monscim nerf ┐(´ー`)┌

Also, pretty into the Stone Ring buff.

damn, that's a lot of nerfs, some of them that I was unaware of lol

and well monscim is stupid, but at least it has work around, the stacking buffs look pretty nasty, I never thought of doing that

Mistel

Banned
Were people stacking Sacred Oath, Numbness and Resonant Flesh together?
Quite a few were once they realized you could do it.
Are mundane builds still pretty good? I'm thinking of re-rolling, since I've gotten to the last DLC boss and just sort of put the game down for a few weeks. A new build would invigorate me.
Mundane got nerfed awhile ago, you could try minumum requirements raw weapon build.

Keep in mind that Smelter uses Fire+Physical, and Elemental defenses are vastly more powerful than Physical.

Edit: Someone on reddit did some tests. 4 months ago, but they haven't overhauled the Physical defense system, so it should be accurate.

Yeah, but I thought that only comes into effect when he decides to stab himself through the chest instead of doing that to me? I figured he starts off doing pure physical damage, I could be mistaken though.

v1perz53

Hmm, I guess you know when you've been playing too much when you go to make a build and can't find a single weapon you want to use that you haven't used recently. I wanted to make a faith build to see how badly it would get nerfed after the calibrations, but I can'd find a weapon to use. My last three characters were strength so I wanted to go dex, but I already used Falchion and all the Katanas to death. Any other interesting/fun dex options (no puzzling sword, only have DLC on PC playing on PS3 for a change)? Want to go faith/dex so I'd prefer more dex oriented and less quality oriented, and I don't like whips at all.

Yeah, but I thought that only comes into effect when he decides to stab himself through the chest instead of doing that to me? I figured he starts off doing pure physical damage, I could be mistaken though.

Either way it is odd that you noted Smelter as an example, because with how that Reddit article read it seemed armor provides a flat damage reduction, so it should be much stronger against fast hitting low damage strikes than single big hits like Smelter does.

Ruuppa

Hmm, I guess you know when you've been playing too much when you go to make a build and can't find a single weapon you want to use that you haven't used recently. I wanted to make a faith build to see how badly it would get nerfed after the calibrations, but I can'd find a weapon to use. My last three characters were strength so I wanted to go dex, but I already used Falchion and all the Katanas to death. Any other interesting/fun dex options (no puzzling sword, only have DLC on PC playing on PS3 for a change)? Want to go faith/dex so I'd prefer more dex oriented and less quality oriented, and I don't like whips at all.

How about a fencer? Thrusting swords and a Buckler/empty hand. They're fun and stylish as hell. Not the most amazing build for PVE, but fun in PVP.

Top Bottom