• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Mistel

Banned
Want to go faith/dex so I'd prefer more dex oriented and less quality oriented, and I don't like whips at all.
DEX/FTH spear user would be pretty neat using Pate's and a partizan a maxed lightning one is 161/161 with E/A/B scaling.. Or you could use a flamberge or claws.

neoism

so guys what is a good smaller weapon with close to the damage of the dragon curved sword? I have 400+(181) maxxed PYH dam but its really big and was wondering if there is a smaller sword or other weapon with close stats im 55 STR and 40 DEX

Mistel

Banned
so guys what is a good smaller weapon with close to the damage of the dragon curved sword? I have 400+(181) maxxed PYH dam but its really big and was wondering if there is a smaller sword or other weapon with close stats im 55 STR and 40 DEX
If you want smaller weapons the best ones would be the mastodon greatsword or a gyrm axe are two good ones. You can out perform the dragon curved greatsword but it's going to be a STR weapon that's heavy.

Ruuppa

You want greatsword or straight sword as your size? From straight swords, the Sun Sword has the best scaling, but a Drakekeeper's Sword is also good.

From greatswords, you've got Claymore, Bastard Sword, Mirrah Greatsword, Drangleic Sword and Flamberge. Possibly the best choice would be a Mastodon Greatsword, since it's damn fast and strong, with an A/E scaling.

SoldnerKei

From greatswords, you've got Claymore, Bastard Sword, Mirrah Greatsword, Drangleic Sword and Flamberge. Possibly the best choice would be a Mastodon Greatsword, since it's damn fast and strong, with an A/E scaling.

Drangleic Sword has always worked like a charm to me, with 40 STR/DEX, moveset is pretty good, fast and second strong attack is a thrust with pretty good range, roll attack is the same

I know this won't be a popular choice I guess because of the lack of damage output, but my favourite weapon in DS2 is the humble Shortsword. I always grab it from the ledge behind the archer above the first Heide Knight in FOFG and it takes me through the whole game, I love the moveset - R1 is a regular slash and R2 is a slightly delayed thrust very much like a rapier.

If like me you want to invest as few points as possible into STR/DEX (I begrudge even putting in just a few) it's a great weapon. I love rapiers in Souls too, so I'm biased though :)

Hmm, I guess you know when you've been playing too much when you go to make a build and can't find a single weapon you want to use that you haven't used recently. I wanted to make a faith build to see how badly it would get nerfed after the calibrations, but I can'd find a weapon to use. My last three characters were strength so I wanted to go dex, but I already used Falchion and all the Katanas to death. Any other interesting/fun dex options (no puzzling sword, only have DLC on PC playing on PS3 for a change)? Want to go faith/dex so I'd prefer more dex oriented and less quality oriented, and I don't like whips at all.

Either way it is odd that you noted Smelter as an example, because with how that Reddit article read it seemed armor provides a flat damage reduction, so it should be much stronger against fast hitting low damage strikes than single big hits like Smelter does.

Well Smelter is a fight I noticed it in because that fight is where I'm constantly looking at my health bar. Other fights I don't look at it as often because: A) They one shot me
(Vendrick and Ancient)
or they don't do significant damage that requires me to make sure I have enough health to survive
(Nashandra on NG)
. Smelter lies more in the middle, while he doesn't OHK me, he does do a good chunk of damage. I do hate how poise works now though, I'll be trying to farm twinkling titnites in Shrine of Amana and get stun locked constantly. Really rather annoying.

Mistel

Banned
]blacky[;126489416 said:
So you dont get loot anymore when you defeat invaders?
You still get drops from NPC phantoms but some are rarer than others and the drop rates are here or there.
Drangleic Sword has always worked like a charm to me, with 40 STR/DEX, moveset is pretty good, fast and second strong attack is a thrust with pretty good range, roll attack is the same
A pair of them is even better. It's one of the strongest greatswords behind the old knight greatsword and the mastodon greatsword.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Were people stacking Sacred Oath, Numbness and Resonant Flesh together? I don't know how I never thought of that, but I can see how that would would be horribly abusive and unfair.

Surprised you never saw it actually. Aside from it being over powdered it's annoying to wait for someone to apply their fifteen buffs before starting a fight online.

Kind of bummed they haven't changed BOB arena level matching yet. I'm SL 170 why am I fighting people SL700+?

Surprised you never saw it actually. Aside from it being over powdered it's annoying to wait for someone to apply their fifteen buffs before starting a fight online.

Kind of bummed they haven't changed BOB arena level matching yet. I'm SL 170 why am I fighting people SL700+?

Why wait.

Ruuppa

Because From wants you to really work for those 500 victories (in a row).

Why wait.

Duel etiquette. Unless they cast HCSM/CSM/Affinity, it's good manners to wait.

But hey still better than DS1.

neoism

Lol man I swear I think the universe doesn't want me to play this.... As soon as I start and play it fucking thunders and lighting right near meh damn house. After being sunny all day ;___; I'm too paranoid to play I've had my PC get won't from lighting. O well guess I get to think about it some more. I did get a few PVP matches in and the sun sword is way better than I thought shame it fucking looks so plain :/

Ruuppa

Lol man I swear I think the universe doesn't want me to play this.... As soon as I start and play it fucking thunders and lighting right near meh damn house. After being sunny all day ;___; I'm too paranoid to play I've had my PC get won't from lighting. O well guess I get to think about it some more. I did get a few PVP matches in and the sun sword is way better than I thought shame it fucking looks so plain :/

That sword is Pale Justice all over again.

You should invest in some surge protection if thunder worries you.

neoism

That sword is Pale Justice all over again.

You should invest in some surge protection if thunder worries you.
Lol my new computer is on 2 surges man always did that not sure if it save or adds more protection I just have bad luck ;_; it happened over 5 years ago on another PC but still fryed the motherboard but it my have been the house it was over 70 years old and the wiring was terribad but my new crib is only like 7 years old soo I'm still parafloyd lol it's mostly passed now

Last time I got hacked in DS some invisible guy OHKO'd me with a backstab that gave me curse and egghead simultaneously.

I feel bad for laughing at other peoples misfortunes, but just imagining that happen to someone makes me laugh quiet a bit your avatar makes it even funnier because it's like the reaction it it. Unno, I guess I have a bad sense of humour :3. There were some pretty nasty hacks, there was this one guy that would invade your world, but he would appear as a summon and help you fight the boss, however, he'd also corrupt your save. Iplayed offline on DS1 for the most part.

I feel bad for laughing at other peoples misfortunes, but just imagining that happen to someone makes me laugh quiet a bit your avatar makes it even funnier because it's like the reaction it it. Unno, I guess I have a bad sense of humour :3. There were some pretty nasty hacks, there was this one guy that would invade your world, but he would appear as a summon and help you fight the boss, however, he'd also corrupt your save. Iplayed offline on DS1 for the most part.

The funny part is I fully intended to get egghead for aesthetic reasons and the guy helped me out in that regard without even knowing it.

Just beat the Pursuer and upgraded my Fire Longsword to +4, but kinda ran out of Human Effigy and am stuck at half health for now, which sucks :D

I need something like the Cling Ring in Demons.

Mistel

Banned
Just beat the Pursuer and upgraded my Fire Longsword to +4, but kinda ran out of Human Effigy and am stuck at half health for now, which sucks :D

I need something like the Cling Ring in Demons.
The ring of binding will help you if you want to get it. It's only a short trip.

neoism

guys I aggroed the blacksmith in majula does he stay that way forever... ;_; was wearing those poison gloves and didnt notice....

v1perz53

guys I aggroed the blacksmith in majula does he stay that way forever... ;_; was wearing those poison gloves and didnt notice....

You need to absolve your sin to unagro him. Unfortunately, unlike Dark Souls 1, the sin NPC is way the hell far into the game in Brightstone Cove. It is also hella expensive.

ZQQLANDER

Hey GAF, any advice for Elana? I've beaten every boss in Dark Souls 1 and 2 solo, but she is giving me serious problems even though I'm level 207. I do approx 330 damage with the black knight greatsword.

Elana isn't that difficult, but whenever she summons Velstadt its game over even though I don't even try to deal damage on him. If she summons skeletons then I kill 2 of them and leave 1 running around so there is less chance she summons Velstadt. When I do this however, I can't score hits because she is teleporting every 3 seconds.

What to do?

neoism

You need to absolve your sin to unagro him. Unfortunately, unlike Dark Souls 1, the sin NPC is way the hell far into the game in Brightstone Cove. It is also hella expensive.
Yeah it's 225k souls

-___________________-

I was just going to quit to after some awesome wins then the game shits on my face dark souls 2 <3
Does if for sure fix agroed npc snot just the ones you kill???

Mistel

Banned
Elana isn't that difficult, but whenever she summons Velstadt its game over even though I don't even try to deal damage on him. If she summons skeletons then I kill 2 of them and leave 1 running around so there is less chance she summons Velstadt. When I do this however, I can't score hits because she is teleporting every 3 seconds.

What to do?
You could try killing velstadt he don't power up so he's not too difficult. A player is worse to get. If you've got a strike weapon that helps a lot with her.

neoism

ok all is fixed -_- damn I know he really isnt useful seeing how the blacksmith in LB does the same... I've only killed the old man for the chime and that traitor women that took me like 20 trys to beat.. But man what a hassle... I did have some awesome matches lol and my first amazing backstab felt soo good... Is the Iron Keep bridge one of the main places other than the bloodhood duelist areas... I see they mean more business there and it seems like the dragon signs are easier fights... Played like 30 fights cant believe its took me 150 hours + to finally like PVP.. still dat LAG :p some fights were just BS.. lol

ZQQLANDER

ok all is fixed -_- damn I know he really isnt useful seeing how the blacksmith in LB does the same... I've only killed the old man for the chime and that traitor women that took me like 20 trys to beat.. But man what a hassle... I did have some awesome matches lol and my first amazing backstab felt soo good... Is the Iron Keep bridge one of the main places other than the bloodhood duelist areas... I see they mean more business there and it seems like the dragon signs are easier fights... Played like 30 fights cant believe its took me 150 hours + to finally like PVP.. still dat LAG :p some fights were just BS.. lol

Never could get into PVP with such epically bad lag....

Yes but the payment is still based aroud your current SL, so if you are in low levels is easy as cake to farm the souls to be absolved

Hey GAF, any advice for Elana? I've beaten every boss in Dark Souls 1 and 2 solo, but she is giving me serious problems even though I'm level 207. I do approx 330 damage with the black knight greatsword.

What to do?

You just have to kite him since if you kill him she could summon him again unlimited times so try to kite him wait for his strong attack and go attack her, repeat.

neoism

Yes but the payment is still based aroud your current SL, so if you are in low levels is easy as cake to farm the souls to be absolved

You just have to kite him since if you kill him she could summon him again unlimited times so try to kite him wait for his strong attack and go attack her, repeat.

yeah its 1k per level lol im SL252 I'm just glad it fixed aggro's I only thought it was for when killing an npc... I've yet to do it for anyone that can buy from but that old guy in the wheelchair...but I did that in my first play-through I still need to kill Darklurker. I'm right at the end of NG++ I would kill everyone but I read your sin carries over to your new game :/

yeah its 1k per level lol im SL252 I'm just glad it fixed aggro's I only thought it was for when killing an npc... I've yet to do it for anyone that can buy from but that old guy in the wheelchair...but I did that in my first play-through I still need to kill Darklurker. I'm right at the end of NG++ I would kill everyone but I read your sin carries over to your new game :/

Oh damn 252,000 payment (like killing 6 bosses) but can also let yourselft being killed by a blue sentinel and reduces your sin....

That was the same in DK1 wasn't it? The higher your level the more souls you had to pay. I do like how they made it more mid-game to absolve rather than early game it kinda teaches players a more strict lesson. Anyways,
if you had killed him a tombstone would appear and you could offer some souls(way less than the 252,000 it's a few thousand) and he would re-appear for some time and you could repair your items, buy stuff, upgrade your weapons, etc. At least I'm pretty sure he would still be able to do everything he could do in life before you brutally ended it.

EDIT:
Yeah, it's the new PvP haven, you go there if you want to do stuff like Dragon invades, Summon invades, get invaded, invade, do fight club, etc. Basically all PvP would be there.

Brakke

Banned
If I kill him can Elana spawn him again? I would hate to do all that work and then *poof* he shows up again.

Yes this happens all the time. She's a pretty tough fight because of Velstadts. One time when I was helping someone else kill her, she summoned Velstadt in three times, barely twenty seconds between two summons...

The A+ #1 thing is to have someone just aggro Velstadt and keep him distracted without even really trying to kill him. Whittle away but don't take big risks, other two rushdown Elena. 'course, it's impossible to coordinate so you just gotta take whatever job others aren't doing. The other thing is definitely don't take either of those NPC summons, and consider only summoning one human so her health isn't bonkers. My only character in the DLC is on NG++ and girl is a damn sponge...

Or just pray for skeletons.

So I've yet to infuse anything with the mundane stone. Is it pretty much useless in NG at low SL? (Lets say 100-120). My lowest stat is at level 6 right now.

I've heard mundane Avelyn is still solid even after the nerf, but I may be better off going lightning infusion/lightning bolts.

Ruuppa

So I've yet to infuse anything with the mundane stone. Is it pretty much useless in NG at low SL? (Lets say 100-120). My lowest stat is at level 6 right now.

I've heard mundane Avelyn is still solid even after the nerf, but I may be better off going lightning infusion/lightning bolts.

Mundane is useless until you start hitting 20 on all stats. That being said, another poster here said he got +100 damage from a Mundane Ladle, even with his lowest stat being 8, so take that as you will. I think it was after the latest patch as well.

Lightning Avelyn is the de facto meta for Avelyn, because Lightning Bolts.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

I waited till my lowest stat was 10 before I started using the Mundane infusion. I'm on 15 now and the returns on +10 Bandit Knives are pretty damn tasty. Had some really good wins against some well armoured opponents in the Belfries and on Iron Keep Bridge the last couple of nights, It all depends on your build/weapon though.

Mistel

Banned
Mundane is useless until you start hitting 20 on all stats. That being said, another poster here said he got +100 damage from a Mundane Ladle, even with his lowest stat being 8, so take that as you will. I think it was after the latest patch as well.
With your lowest stat at 8 you only get a bonus of 98.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
It's that high even with that low stats? Pretty useful for low damage weapons like the Ladle then. I thought it only started to get bigger gains past 15/20. Might have to make a Mundane build now.

I'm enjoying it a lot. I'm rocking with Duel +10 Mundane Bandit Knives (w/ RoB +1, Stone Ring and Dark Weapon buff) which isn't strictly optimal. Regardless, with the pretty high DPS I'm getting, I chew through PvPer's health like I'm a one-man Ebola outbreak. The backstabs are of course utterly ridiculous, so much so that sometimes I feel bad about it.

Only sometimes though.

The new A.I buff is stupid. Every NPC is now a broken roll-cancel hyper armor poise tank. And that was after they were a bunch of stupid stun-lock fests; it is either a brain-dead A.I or a broken one.

Also, what the heck is wrong with the new poise system? It completely ruined setups with rapiers. Hopefully, the new stone ring buff will make rapiers more viable in PvE, especially against the stupid NPCs/phantoms.

Top Bottom