• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Mistel

Banned
It's that high even with that low stats? Pretty useful for low damage weapons like the Ladle then. I thought it only started to get bigger gains past 15/20. Might have to make a Mundane build now.
That's pretty low actually it pales most of the time to raw infusion where it needs much higher stats to break even. Don't forget mundane reduces base weapons damage

Ruuppa

That's pretty low actually it pales most of the time to raw infusion where it needs much higher stats to break even. Don't forget mundane reduces base weapons damage

Ladle has 20 base unupgraded and 40 max uninfused, so the gains are super-high for that. Most daggers have low base as well, so they also have super gains from Mundane.

Edit: Mundane Ladle + Mundane Work Hook, there we go. Pirate Cook is go.

Mundane is the best, I can't get enough of that shit. Fast weapons, low equip weight, crazy dagger, and Forbidden Sun hidden up my sleeve for fun. My curved sword + rapier combo can be pretty damn effective; I've stunlocked people off of cliffs with the rapier a few times which feels scummy but I can't help but enjoy it.

Sullichin

Manikin knife is pretty amazing mundane with your lowest stat >20.

I respecced to dragonslayer spear. Secret oats +rob+Flynn+Leo+lightning clutch. This build is bullshit good.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
edit: wrong thread. Was supposed to type this in the DkS1-thread.

Punto

Neo Member
Ok guys. So I started playing the game like back in march when it came out but had some other obligation so I didn't have too much time to finish the game. My build was going to be faith 50/ str 30 and I was going great defenders sword.

Soo... That was the plan back in april, now I read that they nerfed the shit out of that weapon and build somewhat.

Is it still worth going DGS or should I respec and go something else?

Any suggestion on something new to try, good/fun weapons or a good replacement for DGS? I want something that does decent in pvp. Kinda out of ideas.

Oh Im currently on iron keep and still using the heide knight sword +7, although it´s starting to get kinda meh.

Mistel

Banned
Any suggestion on something new to try, good/fun weapons or a good replacement for DGS? I want something that does decent in pvp. Kinda out of ideas.

Oh Im currently on iron keep and still using the heide knight sword +7, although it´s starting to get kinda meh.
Lighting infused mastodon greatsword 210/210 damage with B/E/B scaling or get 40 STR and a lightning gyrm great hammer 301/301 damage with B/B scaling that's pretty good too.
Ladle has 20 base unupgraded and 40 max uninfused, so the gains are super-high for that. Most daggers have low base as well, so they also have super gains from Mundane.

Edit: Mundane Ladle + Mundane Work Hook, there we go. Pirate Cook is go.
Weapons like that really do benefit from mundane quite a bit with low base damage and not much to use once you get above 20 as your minimum stat you get 170 scaling bonus. For some weapons like the santier's spear it doesn't out perform raw it's more of a case by case thing.

Mistel

Banned
Anyone know the number of hours the 2nd DLC will take to beat? I would guess at least 6 hours (hopefully).
According to something I read a week or so ago it's a bit easier than the first but they didn't comment on the actual time it took as it was a preview.

Haunted

I've already positioned my character near the old iron king primal bonfire in anticipation of the second DLC. :D

People have been speculating that we will learn more about the past of the iron king, the downfall of the iron keep and the smelter demon, but I haven't seen any indication that the portals to the new areas contain any sort of time travelling?

As far as I'm concerned, the sunken king DLC took place concurrently to the main game. (Yes yes, I know time and space are warped things in the souls games:p)

I've already positioned my character near the old iron king primal bonfire in anticipation of the second DLC. :D

People have been speculating that we will learn more about the past of the iron king, the downfall of the iron keep and the smelter demon, but I haven't seen any indication that the portals to the new areas contain any sort of time travelling?

As far as I'm concerned, the sunken king DLC took place concurrently to the main game. (Yes yes, I know time and space are warped things in the souls games:p)

It looks like you are descending the tower which in the top of the tower is some sort oe mechanical structure to harvest something, maybe the black iron. To reach some sort his throne and theres one person there, watching from the tower who in reality is

Then you understand the tower is actually where the fire was relinked the last time. dun dun duuuuuun

Mistel

Banned

We already know about how the Iron king died and what happened to the castle with relation to the smelter demon and sinking into a caldera of a volcano. The time thing is iffy because it's obviously in the past with relation to the age of the crowns due to Vendrick's memories stuff but the area's themselves don't give much to actually date them.
I think is the same as DLC 1 but in a tower now, with lava, lava stuff and switches
Brume towers is the name of the tower it takes place in.

Punto

Neo Member
Lighting infused mastodon greatsword 210/210 damage with B/E/B scaling or get 40 STR and a lightning gyrm great hammer 301/301 damage with B/B scaling that's pretty good too.

Weapons like that really do benefit from mundane quite a bit with low base damage and not much to use once you get above 20 as your minimum stat you get 170 scaling bonus. For some weapons like the santier's spear it doesn't out perform raw it's more of a case by case thing.

Isn´t that quite low compared to for instance the red iron twinblade which apparently does what? 482 AR at +10

Mistel

Banned
Oh I see. I might try it then and try the DGS, maybe it isn´t that bad.
It is alright ain't anything you'd right home about though. Defender is outpeformed by Thorned greatsword on paper other than the FTH scaling when infused with lightning. Plus lightning spear shot from a sword so you've got some ranged options and all that. Unless you desperately want to have a 45 second long lightning buff.

Ruuppa

It is alright ain't anything you'd right home about though. Defender is outpeformed by Thorned greatsword on paper other than the FTH scaling when infused with lightning. Plus lightning spear shot from a sword so you've got some ranged options and all that. Unless you desperately want to have a 45 second long lightning buff.

Thorned Greatsword is great, but that Lightning bolt attack really eats durability up in a protracted fight, with 7 uses at max durability or 14 with Bracing Knuckle +2. It's a good punish for flasking or casting though.

Punto

Neo Member
Other than the great swords, are there any other "new" weapon class that gotten viable after the patch? I hear the twin blades are great for instance. Any thoughts on that?

Ruuppa

Other than the great swords, are there any other "new" weapon class that gotten viable after the patch? I hear the twin blades are great for instance. Any thoughts on that?

Red Iron Twinblade is the strongest weapon in terms of DPS after the patch if you're into Str at all. The other twinblades are still mid- to low-tier.
Spears got a huge boost after the patch, and are top-tier at the moment. Try one with Old Leo Ring for extra oomph.
Katanas also got boosted a lot in the patch, but they were strong even before that. Go figure.

Mistel

Banned
Thorned Greatsword is great, but that Lightning bolt attack really eats durability up in a protracted fight, with 7 uses at max durability or 14 with Bracing Knuckle +2. It's a good punish for flasking or casting though.
It does the same amount of durabilty reduction as all the other special attacks do. Smelter, drakewing, bow of want, watcher greatsword, and defenders greatsword all loose 10 durability for their special attacks. They all have the same durability too go figure.
Ultra greatswords got buffed quite a bit along with some of the axes and greataxes. Twinblades other than the red iron twin blade are not worth it.

Ruuppa

It does the same amount of durabilty reduction as all the other special attacks do. Smelter, drakewing, bow of want, watcher greatsword, and defenders greatsword all loose 10 durability for their special attacks. They all have the same durability too go figure.

Huh, didn't think they all had the same cost. Explains why Spider Fang breaks in 4 specials. Defender and Watcher get the most bang out of that buck, with the 45sec buff. Sure it's not long, but it's (almost) free. Wonder how strong the Magic buff from Watcher is.

My PS3 had been offline, so my faith character was able to finish my platinum run after the last patch. And now this?

I'm just going to keep that character offline until a GOTY edition with all the DLC comes out later. :D

Priest are pretty much forced to go warrior or going hexes right now

Mistel

Banned
Huh, didn't think they all had the same cost. Explains why Spider Fang breaks in 4 specials. Defender and Watcher get the most bang out of that buck, with the 45sec buff. Sure it's not long, but it's (almost) free. Wonder how strong the Magic buff from Watcher is.
Yeah all the specials have the same cost of ten durability ain't a single one that different from that. The buff is probably the same as the defenders but magic instead of lightning.

Priest are pretty much forced to go warrior or going hexes right now

I haven't looked at all the changed stats, but my build is STR/FTH, so I'll probably respec to work in hexes and eliminate the pure faith spells. I may have to change my Lightning Mastadon Greatsword +10 to Dark.

Ruuppa

Are the engraved gauntlets worth getting? Does it have a reasonable % chance? And does it work on bosses >:D?

5% chance to deal increased damage, I think the damage it makes your normal attack deal your weapon's Critical damage. So it would work best with a weapon that has high crit damage. It might also be a fixed % damage, but I don't know what that is..

They're not exactly amazing, but they do work on bosses.

Hugstable

Banned
Finally finished my Dark Souls 1 playthrough today! So I'm about to start my Dark Souls 2 playthrough now and was wondering what builds everyone went with. I used a Dex/VIT/END build in DS1 and don't know whether I want to do a Dex build again or try a STR build this time. But Dex always has those awesome katanas :D

ObbyDent

Banned
Finally finished my Dark Souls 1 playthrough today! So I'm about to start my Dark Souls 2 playthrough now and was wondering what builds everyone went with. I used a Dex/VIT/END build in DS1 and don't know whether I want to do a Dex build again or try a STR build this time. But Dex always has those awesome katanas :D

Dex scaling blows in this game. If you go a katana route, you may want to go with Raw imbue.

Mistel

Banned
You can do DEX build with spears as they're available early one and have decent scaling a pretty good reach. STR builds have a number of options from the beginning of the game. If you've got any sort of build you want specifically just ask.

zewone

So I ended up killing Darkdiver for the Dragon Chime after Darklurker kicked my ass and not wanting to deal with it. Anyway for me to go to the Abyss and challenge him again without going to NG+?

Mistel

Banned
So I ended up killing Darkdiver for the Dragon Chime after Darklurker kicked my ass and not wanting to deal with it. Anyway for me to go to the Abyss and challenge him again without going to NG+?
His grave stone should pop up in a bit 5500 souls every time you want to revive him.

I don't think so. I don't think NPCs don't come back to life via bonfire ascetics when they are killed. However, seeing is how he is a somewhat useful NPC, his gravestone may be there and you can go pray to it in exchange for some souls. Warp to some place and just hang out for a little bit, then warp back to the third place you talked to him, there may be a gravestone.

Trakan

Dex scaling blows in this game. If you go a katana route, you may want to go with Raw imbue.

Dex scaling doesn't blow, it just isn't as high as strength scaling because the weapons are way faster.

Do not infuse a raw katana. The Chaos Blade has great scaling and so does the Uchigatana/Blacksteel.

Top Bottom