• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Dorrin

How do PS+ cloud saves work with Dark Souls 2? I've got a 6 mil SM character and I'd kind of like to leave them at 150, buy 99 orbs invade for awhile and then reload. I see people on streams doing that on the PC version. Is that possible on PS3?

Finally finished my Dark Souls 1 playthrough today! So I'm about to start my Dark Souls 2 playthrough now and was wondering what builds everyone went with. I used a Dex/VIT/END build in DS1 and don't know whether I want to do a Dex build again or try a STR build this time. But Dex always has those awesome katanas :D

Went pure sorcering (Int), Dex in this game is kinda poor compared to Strgh/Faith and Int/Faith/Str but you can make an interesting Dex/Faith/Str using the lightning scale with faith at your pleasure

ElTopo

Banned
Speaking of the DarkLurker. If I use a Bonfire Ascetic on the underground Bonfire in Drangelic, does that bring him back?

Also, pro tip: using Bonfire Ascetic on the hidden Bonfire in The Gulch and fighting The Rotten is a great and easy way to grind.

Hugstable

Banned
You can do DEX build with spears as they're available early one and have decent scaling a pretty good reach. STR builds have a number of options from the beginning of the game. If you've got any sort of build you want specifically just ask.

What is usually a good build to go for a STR fighter? Just want to know so I don't start throwing stats in the wrong places haha. I played as Dex last time, so I feel it's probably time to switch it up a bit and try something new. Also what would be some good equipment to keep my eye out for? Hearing about using Greatswords sounds pretty fun. ALso I like to use support spells every once in awhile, like in DS1 I really relied on Iron Flesh, Power Within and Flash Sweat.

Speaking of the DarkLurker. If I use a Bonfire Ascetic on the underground Bonfire in Drangelic, does that bring him back?

Also, pro tip: using Bonfire Ascetic on the hidden Bonfire in The Gulch and fighting The Rotten is a great and easy way to grind.

I think it depends on where you speak to him the third and final time. So if the third time you spoke to him was under Dangleic, then I think it might. Then again you are getting teleported to a different location so it might not? Super helpful, I know D:.

neoism

So guys if I use an BA on the brigde bonfire in iron keep will I fight different higher level players my SM is almost 20mil lol but the bonfire is only at 2

Mistel

Banned
Dex scaling doesn't blow, it just isn't as high as strength scaling because the weapons are way faster.
Dex scaling is pretty awful you get about 60% of what would get from STR with the same value.
That is the bonfire darklurker is tied to to respawn it.
What is usually a good build to go for a STR fighter? Just want to know so I don't start throwing stats in the wrong places haha. I played as Dex last time, so I feel it's probably time to switch it up a bit and try something new. Also what would be some good equipment to keep my eye out for? Hearing about using Greatswords sounds pretty fun. ALso I like to use support spells every once in awhile, like in DS1 I really relied on Iron Flesh, Power Within and Flash Sweat.
You sound like you'd benefit from a STR build that has a bit of INT/FTH thrown in to give you access to support stuff. You'd need STR of 20 and DEX of 11 for the earliest greatsword the bastard sword.
So guys if I use an BA on the brigde bonfire in iron keep will I fight different higher level players my SM is almost 20mil lol but the bonfire is only at 2
No you won't.

Hugstable

Banned
Dex scaling is pretty awful you get about 60% of what would get from STR with the same value.

You sound like you'd benefit from a STR build that has a bit of INT/FTH thrown in to give you access to support stuff. You'd need STR of 20 and DEX of 11 for the earliest greatsword the bastard sword.

No you won't.

Well that's good then, I choose to go with Warrior as starting class since it seemed to have both decent STR and DEX stats with STR at 15 and DEX at 11. Which stats should I be raising anyway? I've noticed that END from Souls 1 is now split into two stats, END and VIT. Which is also confusing since VIT was health last game, but now it's Vigor for health and VIT now controls Equip load? which stats should I be going in with?

Just picked up the RIT, and dayum! You guys weren't kidding, this thing is guud. It's moveset is also a refreshing change from the typical GS/UGS I mainly use.

For a STR build, is it best to not infuse this weapon and take advantage of the A scaling>

neoism

No you won't.
thanks <3 storm as much as you know about this game and talk about it do you ever dream about it lol
I have a few times one was with the insane lighting before it came out it was more like a nightmare though scary as fuck

Mistel

Banned
Well that's good then, I choose to go with Warrior as starting class since it seemed to have both decent STR and DEX stats with STR at 15 and DEX at 11. Which stats should I be raising anyway? I've noticed that END from Souls 1 is now split into two stats, END and VIT. Which is also confusing since VIT was health last game, but now it's Vigor for health and VIT now controls Equip load? which stats should I be going in with?
You should raise STR, DEX, END, ADP, VIT, and VIG from the beginning. It will give you more damage along with higher health, agility, and equipload. Don't take DEX above minimum requirements it's a waste of points on a non dex build.

Just picked up the RIT, and dayum! You guys weren't kidding, this thing is guud. It's moveset is also a refreshing change from the typical GS/UGS I mainly use.

For a STR build, is it best to not infuse this weapon and take advantage of the A scaling>

It's really good for PvP too, it helps cover your backside so it's harder for them to backstab you.

No you won't.

Heh, you're like the DS 1 & 2 guru. All questions should be directed to you :p.

Sanctum gauntlets. Won't drop. Much frustration.
Are you using all the item discover bonuses? Jesters Hat, Gold Ring +2, Prisoners tatters(I think that's what it's called) and the coin, if it stacks with the others? I feel like I'm missing one...

v1perz53

It's because they made the poor decision of scaling poison and bleed with dex, so it has to give less benefit than str cause it does more things. Which kind of ruins dex weapons if you weren't interested in poison or bleed.

Now, of course, with the way scaling works in this game, if you got 50% of the benefit from dex but str weapons in general had double the swing speed they would be equal (I changed the numbers for easier calculations), but that wasn't really how it worked out. Dex weapons are totally viable, but in general there are less good dex options than str options.

Mistel

Banned
It's because they made the poor decision of scaling poison and bleed with dex, so it has to give less benefit than str cause it does more things. Which kind of ruins dex weapons if you weren't interested in poison or bleed.
The most viable DEX weapons are those that have some STR scaling with'em to up thier damage a lot. Drangleic sword is 270 damage at max with C/A scaling for example along with the Curved dragon sword with 400 damage at max with B/S scaling. Those are the sort DEX weapons that are the type you want. If you ever wanted to actually achieve something similar to what an STR build would have.
Heh, you're like the DS 1 & 2 guru. All questions should be directed to you :p.
Maybe. It's the watch dragon parma you're thinking of.
thanks <3 storm as much as you know about this game and talk about it do you ever dream about it lol.
Not really no.

Renekton

Now, of course, with the way scaling works in this game, if you got 50% of the benefit from dex but str weapons in general had double the swing speed they would be equal (I changed the numbers for easier calculations), but that wasn't really how it worked out. Dex weapons are totally viable, but in general there are less good dex options than str options.
I think In their mind at least, the fast DEX weapons would work well with poison/bleed imbue.

Not sure how great weapons fit in the picture, though.

Sullichin

This is true but katanas and spears rule PVP nonetheless.

nynt9

Ok, I'm SL 150 with Saint's gear (some parts +1/2), Archdrake Stafff +5, Pyro flame +3, Roaring Halberd +2, 40/40 Int/Fth, 50 Att, and spells Dark Orb x2, Dark Hail, Affinity and Flame Swathe.

I started working on the DLC and I'm getting my ass kicked. The dudes can take quite a beating, I run out of spells and durability before I can make any progress. What should I do?

inb4 respec/reroll because 1.10 screws magic

Mistel

Banned
Ok, I'm SL 150 with Saint's gear (some parts +1/2), Archdrake Stafff +5, Pyro flame +3, Roaring Halberd +2, 40/40 Int/Fth, 50 Att, and spells Dark Orb x2, Dark Hail, Affinity and Flame Swathe.

I started working on the DLC and I'm getting my ass kicked. The dudes can take quite a beating, I run out of spells and durability before I can make any progress. What should I do?

Bracing knuckle ring, repair power, and amber herbs will solve most of those issues.

Sullichin

Try to upgrade that Roaring halberd. You should get a massive damage increase going from +2 -> +5. You might also want to imbue it with dark, I think that's best for that weapon.

Mundane is useless until you start hitting 20 on all stats. That being said, another poster here said he got +100 damage from a Mundane Ladle, even with his lowest stat being 8, so take that as you will. I think it was after the latest patch as well.

Lightning Avelyn is the de facto meta for Avelyn, because Lightning Bolts.
So am I still better off infusing it with lightning even though I am a pure STR build? My FTH is at 6. Maybe raw would be my best bet?

I went back to my Dragon Tooth strength build but this time I added the Ring of Giants +2 and man does that make a big difference! Being able to tank through an attack and pancake someone for ~750 damage makes it a lot more viable for PVP.

2AdEPT

Katanas also got boosted a lot in the patch, but they were strong even before that. Go figure.
FROM likes katanas..demon's souls, dark, take your pick, they always are the quintessential souls weapon...it doesn't matter what the damage is (although DPS and ingenious ways to increase swings make it OP in the end regardless), they always set you up to be the ninja that defies all odds against OP STR builds....so you can get the maximum ninja ego boost at the end...works for me....
Finally finished my Dark Souls 1 playthrough today! So I'm about to start my Dark Souls 2 playthrough now and was wondering what builds everyone went with. I used a Dex/VIT/END build in DS1 and don't know whether I want to do a Dex build again or try a STR build this time. But Dex always has those awesome katanas :D
DEX was the way I went, Souls isnt about finding the most OP set up to make the game easier...its about overcoming tough odds through skill and feeeling great about it. Use whatever build turns your crank and enjoy the rush of getting gud!!

Dont ignore VIT and ADP...unlike DS1 and demons you have to invest in order to feell light and maneuverable. VIT for length of roll, ADP or ATT for agility which grants invincibility frames. You can go a couple ATT for slots, but unlike DS1 pyro requires some scaling to be powerful...good news is there is a special pyro glove that scales off hollowness, not INT. If you only use a few utility spells, DONT invest in magic or faith...you dont need the scaling for utility, plus in t his game there are spices which lower the requirements to cast..you can effectively use any utility spell with zero to low investment.

Ruuppa

I went back to my Dragon Tooth strength build but this time I added the Ring of Giants +2 and man does that make a big difference! Being able to tank through an attack and pancake someone for ~750 damage makes it a lot more viable for PVP.

So what can you tank through if you max out your Poise now?

So what can you tank through if you max out your Poise now?

Poise in DS2 only seems to apply when you're in the middle of swinging your weapon, so it's valuable for people using big weapons. I've been able to tank through mostly lighter weapons but also some magic as well. A guy was spamming that Heavenly Thunder miracle and as the lightning was hitting me I was just bashing him into the ground.

---

Edit: Goddamn it, I went into the Dark Chasm of Old to farm some Bonfire Ascetics and I leap into the abyss at the end thinking it'll just spit me out in front of the wheelchair guy... Nope, straight into the Darklurker fight on NG+ with my pure strength build. This fight suuuuuucks.

Trakan

Dex weapons hit twice as fast as something like a Great Club or a Zwei. It makes perfect sense. Dex was crazy overpowered in 1, and now it's more balanced.

That was a bad translation. Poise damage is being nerfed on all those spells, not the actual damage.

Punto

Neo Member
Can you get 2 chaos blades in NG using ascetics?

I´m considering dual chaos blade if I don´t like my faith build by the end of the game.

neoism

Can you get 2 chaos blades in NG using ascetics?

I´m considering dual chaos blade if I don´t like my faith build by the end of the game.
Well the sword takes 30 hp every swing whether you hit them or not I'm sure it would doubt to 60 if you used 2

Mistel

Banned
Dex weapons hit twice as fast as something like a Great Club or a Zwei. It makes perfect sense. Dex was crazy overpowered in 1, and now it's more balanced.
That's a pretty big generalisation with regards to attack speed. Picking ultra or great weapons is cherry picking to support it.

Ruuppa

Poise in DS2 only seems to apply when you're in the middle of swinging your weapon, so it's valuable for people using big weapons. I've been able to tank through mostly lighter weapons but also some magic as well. A guy was spamming that Heavenly Thunder miracle and as the lightning was hitting me I was just bashing him into the ground.

Many attacks have superpoise, so you just can't stagger people in the middle of the animation, regardless of what you hit them with (except flattening them outright). Or they just get a huge increase of Poise in the middle of the animation, either of those two. Normal Poise should work when you're just standing still and getting hit, but it's really easy to smash through.

Many attacks have superpoise, so you just can't stagger people in the middle of the animation, regardless of what you hit them with (except flattening them outright). Or they just get a huge increase of Poise in the middle of the animation, either of those two. Normal Poise should work when you're just standing still and getting hit, but it's really easy to smash through.

I haven't noticed poise having much effect when standing still, only when attacking. I have ~62 at the moment, which is a lot more than I've ever had on any previous build, but I still get staggered by the smallest weapons when standing still.

Here's me trivialising a fight by using poise (or superpoise, I guess)

Poise, superpoise -- Whatever it is, I'm a big fan.

I hear a lot of negative stuff about DS2 compared to DS1. I loved both Demon Souls and Dark Souls so it was a no brainer to start with but with the negative impressions what do people think now?

Mogwai

I hear a lot of negative stuff about DS2 compared to DS1. I loved both Demon Souls and Dark Souls so it was a no brainer to start with but with the negative impressions what do people think now?

I don't think the perception has changed much. In short:

Poorly designed world, lazy boss design (too many gank squads), decent PvP brought down by the Soul Memory matchmaking.

This is what 99% of all comments are about and I'd say they are very valid. But don't read too much into the complaints. It's still a game that's worth your time, just not that natural evolution of the series everybody expected.

Still the same opinions, the game have so many flaws to not being unnoticed but is a good game on its own in the souls series.

Haunted

It's an incredible game and much better than Demon's Souls. I don't think it's as brilliant as Dark Souls 1, but then again, what game is.

If you're a fan of the Souls series you really need to check it out.

neoism

It was increased in patch 1.06 to 50 so a pair of them would be 100 damage. Blacksteels would be your second best choice if you want to dual wield katana.
Wow 100 us op lol it's an ok looking katana but yeah I'd go with the BS plus the white comes Tuesday I may switch to Dex build just for the DLC

Mistel

Banned
How is the DLC? Worth getting?
It's about 4-6 hours worth of content within the sunken king one with some nice gear here and there for you to get.
Wow 100 us op lol it's an ok looking katana but yeah I'd go with the BS plus the white comes Tuesday I may switch to Dex build just for the DLC
If you want to go dex a Drangleic sword would be a good choice for it.

Top Bottom