• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

120v

I hear a lot of negative stuff about DS2 compared to DS1. I loved both Demon Souls and Dark Souls so it was a no brainer to start with but with the negative impressions what do people think now?

i just started DS2... was LTTP because everybody was so meh on it. ... honestly i may be enjoying it more than DS1, or least just as much. it's a fantastic game

not to derail the OT into another tired DS1 vs DS2 debate but i think a lot of people were just "homesick" after putting hundreds of hours into the first game

zewone

How do invade in the abyss? I thought you had to be a BoB to use a red cracked eye.

i just started DS2... was LTTP because everybody was so meh on it. ... honestly i may be enjoying it more than DS1, or least just as much. it's a fantastic game

not to derail the OT into another tired DS1 vs DS2 debate but i think a lot of people were just "homesick" after putting hundreds of hours into the first game
DS1 does a lot of things better, but DS2 makes a number of improvements. They are both amazing games and better than just about anything else out there.

Holiday

Banned
I love that everytime I have a fashion crisis in this game, I can find some new outfit combination that I love.

I'm currently trying to grind blood bros fro the Crescent Sickle. Is it worthwhile? I need I weapon that I'm into now that I've finally given up on Yorgh's useless spear.

Mistel

Banned
I'm currently trying to grind blood bros fro the Crescent Sickle. Is it worthwhile? I need I weapon that I'm into now that I've finally given up on Yorgh's useless spear.
Yorgh's spear really is a spear in name only its got a lance plus twinblade hybrid moveset at max it's got pretty decent B/B scaling with 300 damage. But with its moveset and all I can understand why it's not really used often along with the whole lowered resistances stuff.

The crescent sickle isn't really all to great compared to other INT scaling weapons that are available far easier than it is. Plus it takes 150 straight victories in a row to get it.

Yorgh's spear really is a spear in name only its got a lance plus twinblade hybrid moveset at max it's got pretty decent B/B scaling with 300 damage. But with its moveset and all I can understand why it's not really used often along with the whole lowered resistances stuff.

The crescent sickle isn't really all to great compared to other INT scaling weapons that are available far easier than it is. Plus it takes 150 straight victories in a row to get it.

I wonder if FROm fix that and make the victories acumulative instead of being in a row

Ruuppa

I wonder if FROm fix that and make the victories acumulative instead of being in a row

That would be amazing. Ranking up in BoB now is a pain in the ass if you are running something other than an optimized build, or are really good in PVP. Even the Cops are a horrid exercise in frustration trying to rank up. 500 goddamn matches.

Holiday

Banned

Ah thanks. Yorgh's spear was just too slow for me. I was getting waxed even more than usual in PvP while I was using it.

ZQQLANDER

Beat Elana. Two handed Pursuer"s Greatsword with Gold Pine Resin=850 damage per hit. Just had to be more aggressive when she was spawning her minions as I could get in 4 hits.

That would be amazing. Ranking up in BoB now is a pain in the ass if you are running something other than an optimized build, or are really good in PVP. Even the Cops are a horrid exercise in frustration trying to rank up. 500 goddamn matches.

*Dead or Alive 4 flashbacks*

Curved dragon greatsword.

I knew we could count on you :D

Just about everything in it is improved over the main game. If the next DLCs follow on its tracks, they're going to be great.

I hope they don't have any of that annoying multiple enemy boss fights like
(Lost Sinner, Flexile, Sentinels, Dragonriders, or Throne Defender/Watcher) That is what's putting me off form the DLC, I enjoy 1v1 battles, I can't concentrate on multiple enemies, ;_;.

Booshka

Haven't played this game in a long time, probably gonna wait for a sale on the DLC, since I am not very excited to play them as they come out at full price. Probably only gonna purchase on PC.

How is the state of the game at this point, went back to Dark 1 and Demon's for my Souls fix, just got tired of Dark 2 after a few hundred hours, the gameplay just wasnt there. Did some of the major patches, and latest DLC releases help the game and make it more playable for an enthusiast invader and co-op player?

Trakan

That's a pretty big generalisation with regards to attack speed. Picking ultra or great weapons is cherry picking to support it.

Fair enough, though I think Katanas/Rapiers are faster than even Greatswords. There are some STR scaling faster weapons like the Mace or Club, but then you're sacrificing range.

Unless there's another weapon you're thinking of that I'm missing?

Sullichin

Haven't played this game in a long time, probably gonna wait for a sale on the DLC, since I am not very excited to play them as they come out at full price. Probably only gonna purchase on PC.

How is the state of the game at this point, went back to Dark 1 and Demon's for my Souls fix, just got tired of Dark 2 after a few hundred hours, the gameplay just wasnt there. Did some of the major patches, and latest DLC releases help the game and make it more playable for an enthusiast invader and co-op player?

- No estus in the arenas now.
- A lot of weapons got rebalanced for the better. Butcher knife and some other weapons that did shit damage got a big buff and are now really good
- Bullshit buff stacking is going away in the next patch coming this week
- Spears are the new meta pretty much.
- Flynn's Ring in the DLC (extra ROB+2 if your VIT is <= 14, basically) is a cool addition, but used with those spear builds
- The DLC area itself is really cool and better than the new bosses but one of them stands out. Still doesn't really touch the best DS1 bosses though.

Booshka

- A lot of weapons got rebalanced for the better. Butcher knife and some other weapons that did shit damage got a big buff and are now really good
- Bullshit buff stacking is going away in the next patch coming this week
- Flynn's Ring in the DLC (extra ROB+2 if your VIT is <= 14, basically) is a cool addition, but used with those spear builds
- The DLC area itself is really cool and better than the new bosses but one of them stands out. Still doesn't really touch the best DS1 bosses though.

Thanks for the quick update Sullichin, ya I'll wait on getting back into it if Spears are the new meta lol.

Core mechanics are still not satisfying, and a Spear dominated meta sounds unbearable. I'll keep playing DkS 1.

What spear setups are people using these days? I heard mundane santiers ain't what they used to be pre-patch.

Sullichin

What spear setups are people using these days? I heard mundane santiers ain't what they used to be pre-patch.

Dragonslayer's spear is one. It's is way too easy to land 2 R1s and take away 1200HP Compared to STR weapons where you pretty much have to play unlocked to ever land a hit.
Old Leo + Lightning Clutch + ROB+2 + Flynns Ring + Sacred Oath. It is a monster. I like the idea of it as a build because you're dedicating all of your ring / spell slots to the weapon. It's just too good though.

Mistel

Banned
Unless there's another weapon you're thinking of that I'm missing?
Estoc, Red Iron twin blade, Archdrake mace, Drakekeeper warpick, Lucrene, and Yorgh's spear even at a stretch. Basically the point is being just because STR weapon don't count it out as being fast on the attack front.
The most important things are probably that you can no longer stack self buffs, estus is no longer usable in the arenas, miracle damage reduced along with casts, and the monastery scimitar is still insta parry. That's pretty much the most major changes.

What ring setup would you guys recommend for using the RIT? (mainly PvE, dabbling in some PvP)

Right now I have the following: RoB+1/Flynn's/Stone/Cloranthy+1. Does the Old Leo have any effect for it's thrust attack?

Punto

Neo Member
Ok. So DLC it is then. You guys all seem to think it´s worth it.

I just got to Tseldora. Not sure what I think about the area yet.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Oh god, 4 lightning spears?! I turn away for a few months and this is what I come back to.

Also fuck the fake spirit things in the sanctum.

I'm taking my ball and going home. Respec time. Does anyone have any build recommendations? Roughly SL 120.

Ruuppa

What ring setup would you guys recommend for using the RIT? (mainly PvE, dabbling in some PvP)

Right now I have the following: RoB+1/Flynn's/Stone/Cloranthy+1. Does the Old Leo have any effect for it's thrust attack?

It does, but it's not worth a ringslot for just one attack in the moveset. Just aim for double- or triplecombos and you'll be fine.

I'm taking my ball and going home. Respec time. Does anyone have any build recommendations? Roughly SL 120.

Don't fight them. Fight their corpses.
14 or less Vit melee cannon with Flynn's Ring + Ring of Blades is a powerful build. Try it with spears, katanas or Red Iron Twinblade. Add Sacred Oath for that extra oomph if you like.

Oh god, 4 lightning spears?! I turn away for a few months and this is what I come back to.

Try the Drakekeeper's Greataxe, it's an amazing weapon.

ElTopo

Banned
Question regarding the Red Iron Twin Blade. Awesome weapon. I want to know if it's possible to have enough Stamina left after doing the hard attack and the followup to it while Dual Wielding? Right now I'm at 42 END and I know it's a waste but I'm pure melee so it's no big deal and I'm about to go NG++ and will re-spec when I get a chance after all the DLC is out.

I want to see if I can get to just to even a pixel of Stamina left after 2nd hard attack so I can immediately dodge.

Ruuppa

Question regarding the Red Iron Twin Blade. Awesome weapon. I want to know if it's possible to have enough Stamina left after doing the hard attack and the followup to it? Right now I'm at 42 END and now it's a waste but I'm pure melee so it's no big deal and I'm about to go NG++ and will respect when I get a chance after all the DLC is out.

I want to see if I can get to just to even a pixel of Stamina left after 2nd hard attack so I can immediately dodge.

In theory yes. How much stamina do you have left after the first heavy attack?

ElTopo

Banned
In theory yes. How much stamina do you have left after the first heavy attack?

About 60%. And I have the 3rd Dragon Ring on on top of that.

I think it's programmed that the followup attack drains all remaining stamina. Which would make sense because it's so good in a Dual Wield. Did I mention Dual Wield? I'll fix my post in a sec. But the 2nd swing is so deceptive after the first and blasts through everything. I've caught so many people with it in PVP.

Ruuppa

I think it's programmed that the followup attack drains all remaining stamina. Which would make sense because it's so good in a Dual Wield. Did I mention Dual Wield? I'll fix my post in a sec. But the 2nd swing is so deceptive after the first and blasts through everything. I've caught so many people with it in PVP.

You could test if the 2nd swing drains all the stamina by respeccing and putting absurd amounts into Endurance.

Mistel

Banned

You mean power stancing a pair of them or two handed moveset?

Meh, I dunno about right now but they probably will after the patch. Certain Magic Builds are what really run the meta right now which is why they are getting nerfed to hell. There are some magic builds especially on Iron Keep which are super cheap.

Mistel

Banned
Meh, I dunno about right now but they probably will after the patch. Certain Magic Builds are what really run the meta right now which is why they are getting nerfed to hell. There are some magic builds especially on Iron Keep which are super cheap.
Spears are pretty much the meta right now. You can pretty much shut down a majority magic users with profound still.

Trakan

They aren't getting nerfed like you thought. The patch notes were incorrectly translated the first time. Just the poise damage is being changed.

Mistel

Banned
New Meta
.kill Pates at the start of the game for the best spear

Else
.there is still a
Sanctum Priestess Tiara
That's why I said a majority I know the tiara is a counter to profound still. Yorgh's and dragonslayer are the superior spears.

Ruuppa

Dragon Slayers Spear I agree, but Yorgh's is just a sharp edged quarterstaff (I wish it had strike damage).

Yorgh has some *serious* reach on its pokes though. I've gotten bodied by those enough times to know. It's moveset is a bit off for me to use it myself.

Pate's is my go-to spear, even though the running attacks are pretty bad. Dat reach, man.

Mistel

Banned
Dragon Slayers Spear I agree, but Yorgh's is just a sharp edged quarterstaff (I wish it had strike damage).
Yorgh's is still classed as a spear though regardless of what it actually is it's got the reach too. If you want a spear that has strike damage along with STR scaling use a gargoyle bident.

Sullichin

What magic builds? I usually do the arena (lol) or Heides or just invade. Iron Keep is gank city.

chunk3rvd

Just saw this pic on the Dark Souls Facebook group that Ghibli fans should get a kick out of!

RBTkTRs.jpg

Top Bottom