• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

v1perz53

I was gonna say that power stancing a pair of twinblades isn't that great of an idea the moveset is very mediocre compared to the single handed moveset.

Twinblades get halberd power stance moveset, which is kind of blech (at least the ones I've used do). The one thing I really wish with power stance was that I could map R1 and R2 to the power stance attacks and have L1 and L2 be the normal attacks. So used to playing Souls games with R1 and R2 being my main attacks that power stance always throws me off cause it changes.

v1perz53

Hmm, been getting the co-op itch recently and at the same time been playing my faith character, so that means it is time to grind some sunlight medals. What are common bosses that people like to summon for? I figured I would go through the game and at each common co-op boss farm around 5 medals and move on. Was getting summoned fairly regularly for Old Dragonslayer, but in 30 minutes wasn't summoned once for Pursuer, what is the next boss I should try for? I know Old Dragonslayer and Smelter are usually good choices, but I have no idea where else to drop my sign.

Hmm, been getting the co-op itch recently and at the same time been playing my faith character, so that means it is time to grind some sunlight medals. What are common bosses that people like to summon for? I figured I would go through the game and at each common co-op boss farm around 5 medals and move on. Was getting summoned fairly regularly for Old Dragonslayer, but in 30 minutes wasn't summoned once for Pursuer, what is the next boss I should try for? I know Old Dragonslayer and Smelter are usually good choices, but I have no idea where else to drop my sign.

-Twin dragonriders (right on the fog gate)
-The Sinner (after the bonfire)
-The Rotten (hidden the bonfire) this spots could be crowed for the recent DLC
-Pursuer
-Elana (DLC, right in the fog gate)
-Sinh (DLC, after the bonfire)

so apparently there is a child version of the emerald herald within the game files.
since she is wearing winter clothing and the third DLC is speculated to take place in a snowy area we might meet her after all!
Here is the video showing the model.

also, has anyone posted the "Peeper of Drangleic" video yet? it's hilarious.

Please no more time travel mumbo jumbo to fix the awful plot but seeing how you can interact with Vendrik in the past so freely it would go that way

-Twin dragonriders (right on the fog gate)
-The Sinner (after the bonfire)
-The Rotten (hidden the bonfire) this spots could be crowed for the recent DLC
-Pursuer
-Elana (DLC, right in the fog gate)
-Sinh (DLC, after the bonfire)

Adding on that:
Old Iron King got me tons of summons, at the bonfire located where you turn the fire off, also the fog area works too.
Medusa at the bonfire near the burnable windmill
Mirror Knight(in the area after the elevator, where the statue of a head is)
Demon of Song(at the bonfire)

Some of my descriptions suck, ask if you need clarification :p.

Ruuppa

Adding to what has been said, Prowling Magus and Congregation is my go-to Sunlight Medal farm. As long as your SM is somewhere in 100k - 900k axis, you can get summoned at him really reliably. Just put it in the room with the fog gate and you're set. He's a super easy boss, and you can finish him off in about a minute.

neoism

Daaaaaamn the fth lighting build is still soo op lol I did the giant lord exp run and got 1mil souls in like 30min I will miss it ;___;

Zukuu

Banned
So, did someone release a mod for DS II PC version that adds in the lightning engine (aka emulates it) so you actually need torches and can't see shit in some areas without them?

Spears are pretty much the meta right now. You can pretty much shut down a majority magic users with profound still.

First of all if we are talking about SL150 which is what we are talking about, the requirements for profound still is very high. So unless you plan on farming around 60 combined sceptic & simpleton & investing points into faith, Int, & Attun which can be spent best else where, you wont have that spell. Even if you do, the cast speed will be terrible & leave you wide open. Assuming you fixed that with a ring, you are now down 15 to 20 SLs, uncountable hours of time farming, & a ring slot just to have magic users not cast for seconds. Assuming you did all this you now have 30 seconds to take advanatage of it & all you did was make the match even. Your still going to have to fight a character with some very strong infused weapon & all of the strong defensive options in the game.

If you are willing to do all that to fight a magic user, that's called "running the meta". You build to fight it or you lose. Spears are high tier, no doubt, specfically power stanced Pate's, but they have a hard time with good defensive play. Spears are good cause they are easy, but they don't dominate the meta at all currentlly (tomorrow that may change).

neoism

wow the rusty red sword is a beast dat STR scaling...191(226) pvp was awesome today their was an arena going on right at the bridge. first time I used a prism stone the whole game lol <3

neoism

So, did someone release a mod for DS II PC version that adds in the lightning engine (aka emulates it) so you actually need torches and can't see shit in some areas without them?

eng works... sweetfx can sort of do it but not really.. I use it because I'm a saturation whore.. I really like colors...
iburEfhPlI9Kfk.png
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWSR9fnVd7A

I am attempting to make the game darker--similar to the alpha build. I am still adjusting it. Youtube obviously ruined some of the post-processing effects on lighting. I decreased some of them (Bloom and HDR strength) that are causing halos around weapons; they do not appear as halos during gameplay, as youtube ruined the video but some of them were excessive.

I didn't use SGSSAA. I used it in conjunction with SweetFX, and the game was still blurry even with LOD bias adjustments. I occasionally downsample from 4k and I get 60fps in most areas; Elana boss battle had slight FPS so I decided to stick with 1080p for challenge runs.

this guys posted a few pages back and its pretty dark lol waay too dark... torches aren't my thang though.

Mistel

Banned
wow the rusty red sword is a beast dat STR scaling...191(226) pvp was awesome today their was an arena going on right at the bridge. first time I used a prism stone the whole game lol <3
The axe moveset really works well with it along with its naturally high STR scaling. I assume you ran out of twinkling as 191 is the + 4's damage.

Haunted

There's a dark ENB out there that makes a torch necessary indoors, in caves and during nighttime.

Haunted

so apparently there is a child version of the emerald herald within the game files.
since she is wearing winter clothing and the third DLC is speculated to take place in a snowy area we might meet her after all!
Here is the video showing the model.
Really confused they didn't just put child Shanalotte in the Dragon Aerie when you talk to her there if that was their intention.

But maybe she just got scrapped entirely, or will be used in the DLC.

also, has anyone posted the "Peeper of Drangleic" video yet? it's hilarious.

oh my

It took me a while but I just finished the first DLC ! I liked DS2 but it was definitely my least favorite entry in the series but this new area was very satisfying to explore, it's probably the best one in the game.

The general look of it isn't particularly impressive but the level design is great and the enemies are interesting to fight.

I started a new character for this, my first Strength character in a Souls game. Very satisfying to play, I might have go back to the earlier games to try it there !

It took me a while but I just finished the first DLC ! I liked DS2 but it was definitely my least favorite entry in the series but this new area was very satisfying to explore, it's probably the best one in the game.

The general look of it isn't particularly impressive but the level design is great and the enemies are interesting to fight.

I started a new character for this, my first Strength character in a Souls game. Very satisfying to play, I might have go back to the earlier games to try it there !

There are pretty op gear if you enter the DLC in a lower Soul memory and enter pvp

You cray. Best thing about the previous souls game is getting a heavy as heck weapon and timing the swing to smash the enemy as it gets close to you.

DeSo has the most OP heavy weapons, iirc, although DaSo aint far behind.

You cray. Best thing about the previous souls game is getting a heavy as heck weapon and timing the swing to smash the enemy as it gets close to you.

That is indeed quite fun but slowly poisoning them from a distance while they don't even realize you're there is also quite satisfying. You just have to be patient !

neoism

The axe moveset really works well with it along with its naturally high STR scaling. I assume you ran out of twinkling as 191 is the + 4's damage.

yeah lol 5 to max i will do it tomorrow morning...I really wanted to like the red curved sword but its just not that great.

Mistel

Banned
yeah lol 5 to max i will do it tomorrow morning...I really wanted to like the red curved sword but its just not that great.
Even though it's rather mediocre compared to the red rust sword it's still the strongest curved sword. Scaling could be a bit higher though.

i got one of those shield but doesnt look like the shield guy&#8217;s shield protecting the egg altar
I think the invader uses a Black Dragon Shield: http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Black+Dragon+Shield

The one I was trying to get is a rare drop from the SnS Drakekeepers: http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Drakekeepers+Shield

RnG was not playing nicely with me today, but I eventually got it
(after having to use an ascetic)
. It's probably one of the best all around shields in the game, great for PvE.

I think the invader uses a Black Dragon Shield: http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Black+Dragon+Shield

The one I was trying to get is a rare drop from the SnS Drakekeepers: http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Drakekeepers+Shield

RnG was not playing nicely with me today, but I eventually got it
(after having to use an ascetic)
. It's probably one of the best all around shields in the game, great for PvE.
Before that invader i mean, there is a shield drakeeper, dunno if you can get that shield.

ecosse_011172

I switched back from my DualWielding Swordsman to my HEXDEX Sorcerer save last night, about to enter Sinners Rise, much more fun, mixing magic with Fire Longsword is brilliant.
What are the best spells to be using ?
So far I’vm using Soul Arrow x2, Great Soul Arrow and Heavy Great Soul Arrow.
I tried Fireball but it was poo.
I have Dark Weapon but don’t really have a worthwhile weapon to use it on yet.

Ruuppa

Ohh right, the dude with the warpick? It's like a square shield? I know there's also a Drakekeepers greatshield, but it looks different.

The square one is the Greatshield of Glory, and is good against Lightning with 90 resistance to it. It's somewhat meh otherwise.

For some reason when the warpick Drakekeepers block with it, they don't benefit from the 100 physical resistance.

I switched back from my DualWielding Swordsman to my HEXDEX Sorcerer save last night, about to enter Sinners Rise, much more fun, mixing magic with Fire Longsword is brilliant.
What are the best spells to be using ?
So far I&#8217;vm using Soul Arrow x2, Great Soul Arrow and Heavy Great Soul Arrow.
I tried Fireball but it was poo.
I have Dark Weapon but don&#8217;t really have a worthwhile weapon to use it on yet.

Great Heavy Soul Arrow and Great Soul Arrow will be your bread'n'butter for a long, long time. Completely through the NG in fact. You get a couple of Soul Spears for boss killing, but not enough to use as your main until NG+. I like keeping one normal Soul Arrow as my fallback, since you get tons of casts for that and it has the fastest cast in the game.
If you're into hexing, get Dark Orb. It's pretty much Soul Arrow with about double the damage and a slower castspeed.

Jin

Someone at reddit translated the patch notes. It looks like they're nerfing the stability on some shields.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/2e97iz/i_did_a_retranslation_of_the_107_patch_notes/

Retranslated them from the Japanese patch notes because the official translations are usually a bit off. The parts that differ from the official translation are bolded for emphasis.
tl;dr if you don't want to go through it:
All the statements about reduced damage for spells are for reduced poise damage.
The referenced greatshields have reduced stability, not damage. How they even got damage out of &#21463;&#12369;&#20516; is beyond me, that's pretty explicit.
Magic Shield, Rebel's Greatshield, and Climax are not mentioned in the official translation, but exist in the Japanese notes.
Nope, there's no mention of the Monastery Scimitar.
Original: http://info.darksouls.jp/other/pc/information_detail/2014-08-22-01.html[1]
Official translation: http://farfire.darksoulsii.com/pc/information/index.html[2]
1.07/1.05 patch changes:
In the Undead Crypt, corrected problem where the bell that summons the Leydia Pyromancers no longer rings if you hit it repeatedly.
1.10 regulation changes:
In online multiplayer, critical damage against other players is reduced.
Weapons, armor, other equipment, and spells are all generally rebalanced. Below for information.
<Equipment and spell adjustment information>
Weapons [Cleric's Parma] [Cleric's Small Shield] [Magic Shield] [Cursed Bone Shield] [Spirit Tree Shield] [Golden Wing Shield] [Shield of the Insolent] [Grand Spirit Tree Shield] have increased spell parry duration and angle.
Weapon [King's Mirror] has increased spell parry duration.
Weapons [Defender's Shield] [Havel's Greatshield] [Gyrm Greatshield] [Dragonrider Greatshield] [Rebel's Greatshield] have reduced stability.
Armors [Gyrm Helm] [Gyrm Warrior Helm] [Gyrm Warrior Greathelm] [Smelter Demon Helm] [Velstadt's Helm] [Black Witch Robe] have reduced defense.
Armor [Sanctum Priestess Tiara] has had its description fixed. (ed: Japanese error only?)
Ring [Stone Ring] has increased effect.
Ring [Red Tearstone Ring] changed to no longer effect spells.
Ring [Ring of Steel Protection] has increased effect against enemies. No change when against other players.
Ring [Clear Bluestone Ring +2] has reduced effect.
Sorcery [Soul Spear] has reduced casting speed and damage to poise. (ed: 'reduced casting speed' means slower to cast, in this context.)
Sorcery [Crystal Soul Spear] has reduced casting speed and damage to poise, requires more slots, and has increased uses.
Sorceries [Soul Geyser] [Soul Shower] have reduced damage to poise.
Sorcery [Strong Magic Shield] has reduced stability effect.
Miracles [Lightning Spear] [Great Lightning Spear] [Sunlight Spear] [Emit Force] [Blinding Bolt] [Heavenly Thunder] have reduced damage to poise.
Miracle [Sacred Oath] when casted on yourself will remove other buffs that you have casted on yourself. Other players' [Sacred Oath] may overlap. After using [Sacred Oath], if another buff to yourself is used, [Sacred Oath]'s effect will be removed.
Miracle [Bountiful Sunlight] when casted on yourself will remove other buffs that you have casted on yourself. Other players' [Bountiful Sunlight] may overlap. After using [Bountiful Sunlight], if another buff to yourself is used, [Bountiful Sunlight]'s effect will be removed.
Pyromancy [Fire Whip] has reduced damage to poise.
Hexes [Affinity] [Scraps of Life] [Resonant Soul] [Great Resonant Soul] [Climax] have reduced damage to poise.
Hex [Numbness] when casted on yourself will remove other buffs that you have casted on yourself. After using [Numbness], if another buff to yourself is used, [Numbness]'s effect will be removed.
Hex [Resonant Flesh] when casted on yourself will remove other buffs that you have casted on yourself. After using [Resonant Flesh], if another buff to yourself is used, [Resonant Flesh]'s effect will be removed.
That's all. If I got anything wrong let me know, thanks. -@mauvecow

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
:O

Where is that?

I believe it's going to be around the Old Iron King primal bonfire? Or it's there now if you patched?

DLC items from
/dsg/
if anyone is interested. Most people here seem to NOT be interested, usually for spoiler reasons, but just in case.

Obvious spoilers

Umbral Dagger pic
Bewitched Alonne Sword pic
Majestic Greatsword pic
Possessed Armor Greatbow pic
Raime's Set pic
Minotaur Helm pic
Fume Ultra Greatsword pic
Alonne's Set pic
Smelter Hammer (!!!) pic
Possessed Armor Sword pic
Pharros Mask (lol) pic
Ashen Warrior Sword pic
Pilgrim's Spontoon pic

Phew. Lots of unique looking stuff, though.

ecosse_011172

Great Heavy Soul Arrow and Great Soul Arrow will be your bread'n'butter for a long, long time. Completely through the NG in fact. You get a couple of Soul Spears for boss killing, but not enough to use as your main until NG+. I like keeping one normal Soul Arrow as my fallback, since you get tons of casts for that and it has the fastest cast in the game.
If you're into hexing, get Dark Orb. It's pretty much Soul Arrow with about double the damage and a slower castspeed.

Thanks a lot, I'll go and see Felkin this evening and give Dark Orb a try.
I have Soul Spear but with so few uses I didn't want to waste a slot.

jimmyd

Wow just about everything I've built my character on has been nerfed since 1.05, which is about when I stopped playing. Defender's Greatsword, Velstadt's Armor, Lightning Spears (twice nerfed), Clear Bluestone Ring. I think I've been forced into a complete character overhaul. Although I did switch to the Claymore to go through the first DLC last week, thanks to some good advice here.

Miracles nerfed AGAIN?
What a load of crap.
And the bluestone ring +2 too, you're fucking kidding me.

Hey you know what, just remove miracles, it will be faster than nerf them every two month.

Top Bottom