• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

2AdEPT

Wow,
Maldros the Assassin is an asshole.

yep calling it a night there...that guy
disappears most times when I go back across the bridge..he doesnt die, just disappears..
could be glitch. Didnt seem to matter...got
cursed
down below. Dark Souls.

Wow. Three DLC bonfires in and I'm yet to fight a boss. Interesting.
yep...intriguing layout.....anyone remember who sells doz arrows we want here?

NBtoaster

Maldron is exactly what a troll player is like. Uses op lances, hides around corners, runs away when low and heals, and stands next to enemies.

NEO0MJ

Played the new area for a couple of hours, finally reached the first boss, though I have yet to kill him. I love it so far.

Starting a new game, anyone got any build or tip advice for a sorcerer build? I just completed the game with a Boxer Build and it was a lot of fun. Mainly because the dmg you can do is crazy. I

With this new game I want to see the full potential of spells. Ofcourse I would do this with the first game to really nerf magic. :p

v1perz53

Man I feel like such a jerk when doing Bell Keeper invasions. Why does this have to be one of the only reliable ways to get Titanite Chunks early on! Takes a while for the queue to pop, so I usually just wait for the other invader and 2 v 1 the host, I need those chunks! Also the only PvP situation where I will use healing miracles/heal in general.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The inner sanctum is just too hard for me to do alone. That one room with the caster and, like, five or six poison knights is just absurd. I don't think I've even got close to finishing it.

I'm really digging the first bit of DLC overall, though. I can't find the other bonfires in the city (other than the Prayer Tower) for the life of me.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Starting a new game, anyone got any build or tip advice for a sorcerer build? I just completed the game with a Boxer Build and it was a lot of fun. Mainly because the dmg you can do is crazy. I

With this new game I want to see the full potential of spells. Ofcourse I would do this with the first game to really nerf magic. :p

Int +++++++ Att +++++++++++++

Mistel

Banned

Hexes on a STR/INT/FTH build might be more enjoyable. But if you want a INT scaling weapon early on a dragon rider halberd is good, has very nice scaling and damage when upgraded.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Oh look, this boss is a giant humanoid enemy who uses a large weapon. Also he heals himself. Great.

The warm orbs heal him and you can stop them

Did they stealth nerf healing speed as a phantom? My flask and lifegem healing speed when getting summoned is crazy slow.

UrbanRats

Damnit GAF, i really want to play the new DLC, but i have yet to beat the optional boss in the first DLC (only tried twice and then put the game down).

Boss spoilers:

Boy howdy, the fucking Fume Knight. He hits VERY HARD! Those two summons were aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabsolutely useless both hitting for about 50 damage each. I think I'll do this one solo.

Edit: Beat him! :D

Ruuppa

Boss spoilers:

Boy howdy, the fucking Fume Knight. He hits VERY HARD! Those two summons were aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabsolutely useless both hitting for about 50 damage each. I think I'll do this one solo.

Edit: Beat him! :D

GatDANG he was hard. He could three- or two-shot me when he powered up, and those damn delayed combos are horrifying! Good lord.

Managed to beat it with about 7-ish tries? Damn hard boss.

Edit:
HOLY MOLEY! Sir Alonne. Teleporting dude, with hits that kill you in three strikes. What the hell.

v1perz53

I know everyone is talking about the DLC, but man, pretty happy right now. First time making it to the Gargoyles and beating them while online, I tried a bit before but could never deal with the 2 invaders at the same time because they were often way higher level than me, so I always did gargoyles offline. I did cheese one of them by smashing him down the ladder, but hey all's fair in a 2v1.

That said, did they nerf the Gargoyles? I vividly remember frantically running around the room with 4 of them out chasing me around, but this time I never got more than 2 at a time until the end, when I had 3 for a few seconds. I've only ever fought them on NG so I am definitely not confusing it with NG+. And I didn't use strategy or anything, I had the first two at like 40% each at first and a third still didn't spawn till one was dead.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, the DLC is already up?

Edit: ah, Japan only?

My Wife has been playing the DLC_2 for quite some time now (from past 3 hours to be frank), on STEAM.

Edit: I am not in Japan, but access must be related to Time Zones and activating slowly across the Time Zones (around 12:00 or 13:00 something?).

GatDANG he was hard. He could three- or two-shot me when he powered up, and those damn delayed combos are horrifying! Good lord.

Managed to beat it with about 7-ish tries? Damn hard boss.

Edit:
HOLY MOLEY! Sir Alonne. Teleporting dude, with hits that kill you in three strikes. What the hell.

My build has fairly low armour, so I'm dying in one or two hits :p

Sir Alonne is a real bastard as well, but I really love the shiny floors! Haha

Ruuppa

FUCK

Sir Alonne and the path leading up to him can go fuck itself.

The last bonfire is after Sir Alonne, right? Uuuuugh

No bonfire after him. You might have missed one. Sir Alonne's attacks aren't *too* hard to dodge once you get the timing right. His uppercut is the worst offender of the lot, since if you don't dodge right when he readies it, you'll get hit.

No bonfire after him. You might have missed one. Sir Alonne's attacks aren't *too* hard to dodge once you get the timing right. His uppercut is the worst offender of the lot, since if you don't dodge right when he readies it, you'll get hit.

I have the five in the first area of the DLC but there's one left in the second area on the warp menu. I don't have a clue where it would be.

v1perz53

I don't really understand how Dark Souls 2 decides where to place my bloodstain. In Dark Souls 1 it seemed to be something like "you die, place where you were ~3 seconds before that is where your bloodstain is". But in Dark Souls 2 it is more random. I was in Iron Keep running to one of the chests that you have to run over lava rocks to get (the one to the right of the bridge by the first bonfire). I didn't realize I didn't have my FR stuff on, so I jumped onto the first lava rock and died within a second, but my bloodstain was in the middle of that lava rock. Said screw those souls, tried again with FR gear on but died by a hair, this time after ~3 seconds, my bloodstain was on the safe spot before the lava rock.

More an academic question, as I am just curious why that happened.

Ruuppa

I have the five in the first area of the DLC but there's one left in the second area on the warp menu. I don't have a clue where it would be.

That's the "optional" area bonfire. Ride the elevator down from the 3rd bonfire and open a locked door on that level. Follow that route and you'll get it.

Still no idea where to get the most of the armor sets said to be in the DLC..

I don't really understand how Dark Souls 2 decides where to place my bloodstain. In Dark Souls 1 it seemed to be something like "you die, place where you were ~3 seconds before that is where your bloodstain is". But in Dark Souls 2 it is more random. I was in Iron Keep running to one of the chests that you have to run over lava rocks to get (the one to the right of the bridge by the first bonfire). I didn't realize I didn't have my FR stuff on, so I jumped onto the first lava rock and died within a second, but my bloodstain was in the middle of that lava rock. Said screw those souls, tried again with FR gear on but died by a hair, this time after ~3 seconds, my bloodstain was on the safe spot before the lava rock.

More an academic question, as I am just curious why that happened.

Mine got placed behind a locked cage door in the DLC area, forcing me to do that place an extra time. It has a bit weird placing, but that's the only time I had it screw me over.

Blue Smelter
is just laughable. What were they thinking? I mean,
rehashes from DS1
I can understand (not condone, however), but from
the actual fucking game I'm playing
? Awful.

Another thing...

I've had it up to here with the 'overpowered and/or invincible mob; run around shitting yourself whilst looking for the thing to smash/interact with so you can actually engage' encounter design of both DLCs thus far. It's lazy and it only exacerbates one of DS2's gravest offences in its over-reliance on enemy gangbangs.

Apart from these grievances, I'm enjoying myself.

Also, I have no idea where to go now. Is it down the dark path behind the locked Tower Key door near the third bonfire? I guess I have to find the abovementioned thing for those annoying fuckers.

The second DLC is MUCH better than the first one. Not that the first one was bad, it just lacked anything particularly memorable.

These areas are much more in line with what I want from Dark Souls. Twisting levels, shortcuts, enemies that actually provide a challenge and don't just attack "three times".

This is much more like it and would have been a brilliant section if it was in the base game (if you know what I mean).

Bosses?
bosses still suck...

Oh, but the optional area is garbage. Why even bother to throw it in? To me it really emphasise how quantity does not work for Souls.

Ruuppa

Time for some gripes.

-Bosses hit really goddamn hard. 3 hits and dead on both Sir Alonne and Fume Knight? With 2k max HP? kthx From
-Way too many big groupfights. I get it that this is endgame content, but damn.
-The route to Sir Alonne. 'nuff said
-Getting to the Ashen Idols is a huge pain sometimes. I guess that's as intended though.

Other than those, I'm liking it. The new AI stuff for NPCs is nice, as are most of the new enemies.
The bosses are a bit lazy on the design side. A reskin and two dudes with swords? Really, From?

sliferx94

Neo Member
Time for some gripes.

-Bosses hit really goddamn hard. 3 hits and dead on both Sir Alonne and Fume Knight? With 2k max HP? kthx From
-Way too many big groupfights. I get it that this is endgame content, but damn.
-The route to Sir Alonne. 'nuff said
-Getting to the Ashen Idols is a huge pain sometimes. I guess that's as intended though.

Other than those, I'm liking it. The new AI stuff for NPCs is nice, as are most of the new enemies.
The bosses are a bit lazy on the design side. A reskin and two dudes with swords? Really, From?

Personally i thought bosses should hit even harder... Raime and Sir Alonne are awesome bosses. Smelter not so much but its fine the DLC is really enjoyable :D.

Really a blue smelter? That's inexcusable. That's a giant fuck you, seriously why the fuck would they do that? Is that what all the bosses from now on will be rehashes? Fucking shit that pisses me off.

NEO0MJ

So I can use the fountain to go to the 2nd DLC area, but I can't open the door (says "Closed"). I'm on PC. Is there an item I'm missing?

Edit: I see http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...d-iron-king-walkthrough-and-game-guide?page=2

I have no Heavy Iron Key in my inventory.

Solution: For others afflicted with this stupid issue, de-selecting and selecting the DLC in my Steam game properties fixed this problem.

I just restarted steam and it worked for me.

SoldnerKei

will play this as soon as I get out of work, reading your comments makes me excited, I mean
Sir Alonne
?! awesome

has anybody found another armor like the Flower Skirt? and well blue
smelter
dosen't bother me, as long as the level is fun

Top Bottom