• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

v1perz53

You know, I've never really minded palette swap/reused boss models as long as they have a unique moveset and are in a different arena. To me, the arena and moveset are what makes up a boss, not what his model happens to look like. I would prefer fresh models but not that big a deal. Especially if there are lore reasons why I am fighting a variation of a boss that already exists, I usually like that a lot because it ties the story together.

On the other hand, same model in the same arena with the same moves, I wouldn't be able to handle that. (not sure where
blue smelter
falls in the spectrum, just voicing my own general opinions)

Rizzi

You know, I've never really minded palette swap/reused boss models as long as they have a unique moveset and are in a different arena. To me, the arena and moveset are what makes up a boss, not what his model happens to look like. I would prefer fresh models but not that big a deal. Especially if there are lore reasons why I am fighting a variation of a boss that already exists, I usually like that a lot because it ties the story together.

On the other hand, same model in the same arena with the same moves, I wouldn't be able to handle that. (not sure where
blue smelter
falls in the spectrum, just voicing my own general opinions)

It's the exact same boss in a larger round room that has nothing in it.

Let's Positive Thinking! :p

I am positive that Fume Knight is a cunt. :p

Foggy

Actually, no.

Please put in spoilers any info about the DLC,bosses and enemies too please, not everyone is playing the DLC right now. So please use the spoilers tag in the future.

I was mostly being sarcastic. Luckily I'm not too bothered by spoilers, but it's still pretty lame to just throw it out there palette-swap or not. The last DLC's boss spoilers were hidden well, but maybe I just stumbled in here at the right time or something.

I know everyone is talking about the DLC, but man, pretty happy right now. First time making it to the Gargoyles and beating them while online, I tried a bit before but could never deal with the 2 invaders at the same time because they were often way higher level than me, so I always did gargoyles offline. I did cheese one of them by smashing him down the ladder, but hey all's fair in a 2v1.

That said, did they nerf the Gargoyles? I vividly remember frantically running around the room with 4 of them out chasing me around, but this time I never got more than 2 at a time until the end, when I had 3 for a few seconds. I've only ever fought them on NG so I am definitely not confusing it with NG+. And I didn't use strategy or anything, I had the first two at like 40% each at first and a third still didn't spawn till one was dead.

That's weird, from what I remember it depends on how much damage you do to their total health pool, if you do enough damage for a gargoyle to die, another spawns. So if you were to do 25% of ones health and 75% of the other, a third would spawn even though two are alive. I guess they found that, that was a stupid idea and made it so when a gargoyle dies another spawns, if that's the case OMGYES gargoyles will be much easier now.

Hugstable

Banned
That's weird, from what I remember it depends on how much damage you do to their total health pool, if you do enough damage for a gargoyle to die, another spawns. So if you were to do 25% of ones health and 75% of the other, a third would spawn even though two are alive. I guess they found that, that was a stupid idea and made it so when a gargoyle dies another spawns, if that's the case OMGYES gargoyles will be much easier now.

How do I get to the Gargs offline? Or how do I make the game offline, just disconnect my internet or something? I can't last more than 2 minutes everytime I enter the Belfry area and I know that's where the Gargoyles are. Are they even a needed boss or is it an optional area?

v1perz53

How do I get to the Gargs offline? Or how do I make the game offline, just disconnect my internet or something? I can't last more than 2 minutes everytime I enter the Belfry area and I know that's where the Gargoyles are. Are they even a needed boss or is it an optional area?

On PS3 you can just log off PSN and you will start in offline mode. On steam you can open steam in offline mode for a similar result. Not sure for Xbox 360. Disconnecting your internet will also work in all cases. Totally optional boss, but with some very nice loot and a key that makes the Sinner a bit easier.

Ok so I have 3 bosses left:

Royal Rat Authority, Vendrick, and Ancient Dragon.

Then I can enter NG+ finally!

Anyone have optimal strategies for a Greatsword/Sorcery/Bow build?

Ruuppa

Fume Knight is some bullshit.
Stop fucking healing you cunt!

Use Smelter Wedges on the 4 Ashen Idols outside of the boss arena. That'll stop the heals.

On PS3 you can just log off PSN and you will start in offline mode. On steam you can open steam in offline mode for a similar result. Not sure for Xbox 360. Disconnecting your internet will also work in all cases. Totally optional boss, but with some very nice loot and a key that makes the Sinner a bit easier.

Yup. Disconnect internet cable, reconnect it when you get the message about going into offline mode. Easy as pie.

Is the DLC2 still closed for folks on the West Coast? Says I can't get in.

EDIT: Was I supposed to get an auto drop item like the first DLC? Didn't get anything when logging in.

Rizzi

Use Smelter Wedges on the 4 Ashen Idols outside of the boss arena. That'll stop the heals.

Yup. Disconnect internet cable, reconnect it when you get the message about going into offline mode. Easy as pie.

I already used all of them on the other idols in the dlc..

For standard game? If you're going GS, ditch sorcery and get the Dragonrider bow if str focused, or hunter's blackbow / sea bow if dex. You'll do pretty much same damage as great heavy soul arrow spam without having to dump all the stats into int/attun, or having to bother with sorcerer gear, plus elemental arrows are far more versatile.

Hrm, that late game, though... if you have a lotta soul spears/ crystal soul spears, sorc might be worthwhile.

ilium

How Bad is the latest sorcery nerf, especially regarding spell speed? I only recently respecced to a sorcery build because i was tired of my faith paladin that i played to NG+++ and seeing those nerfs truly hurts my soul because i grew really fond of my katana wielding, witch hat + llewelyn set wearing sorcerer. Dat fashion souls...so good.
Also regarding a certain ring
is the magic clutch ring in the 2nd dlc?

Xeroblade

How Bad is the latest sorcery nerf, especially regarding spell speed? I only recently respecced to a sorcery build because i was tired of my faith paladin that i played to NG+++ and seeing those nerfs truly hurts my soul because i grew really fond of my katana wielding, witch hat + llewelyn set wearing sorcerer. Dat fashion souls...so good.
Also regarding a certain ring
is the magic clutch ring in the 2nd dlc?

I have 30 ATT, 37INT, and 37FTH. No rings and my cast speed is set a 100. fucking slow as hell to cast GRS and Sacred Oath and Greath Heal. but thats fine for me, spells should be used as a secondary like bows.

Read at your own discretion.
Well, for Vendrick all you gotta do is get the 5 Giant souls, which if you don't know where they are, I can help you with that. Each Giant Souls reduces his physical defense, without them he has like 32x physical defense. Anyways, if you stay at his left leg and a little to hit butt all his attacks will miss you, and you can hit him once or twice after he swings. Makes him super easy. Ancient, on the other hand is an annoying boss, he has never been consistent with me, he constantly does a different moves each time I meet him, even though the way I fight him doesn't change :/.

For spells go for the soul greatsword,heavy soul arrow, soul spear, homing soulmass and great magic weapon. Of course I want to think you already have the wisdom staff infused with magic.

For weapons you can use the moonlight greatsword (ng+ only) which scales with Int and for bows the great bow dropped by the alonnes capitans

Conezays

Yes

Ah, didn't see that, good find. I had opened the DLC menu and it said Old Iron King was not installed. I just restarted Steam and it changed to Installed. Thanks

No problem. Definitely a bit convoluted/irritating. I assume Steam will fix it later today for those who've yet to play.

Ruuppa

For those wondering where to get the DLC armorsets:
Magerold sells Sir Alonne's and Raime's set after you've beaten them.

SoldnerKei

For those wondering where to get the DLC armorsets:
Magerold sells Sir Alonne's and Raime's set after you've beaten them.

is
Sir Alonne
alike to his knights' armor?? cause that thing is hella ugly IMO lol

still 5 hrs till I can play ; -;

v1perz53

For all the people posting about spell nerfs, my Lightning Spear and Greater Lightning Spear seem actually better overall. I only have a lightning Priest's Chime +3 and 42 faith and I am doing similar damage to what I remember doing on my 50 faith character with a lightning Dragon Chime +5 right after the last number of casts nerf. Maybe they finally added in the damage boost there was supposed to be last nerf?

Cast time doesn't seem very different to me, but I only have 19 atn and no ring, so I'm sure it's mostly people using the +2 ring that will notice it bad. I should go on my Sor/Hex build and see if I notice it there.

And I agree with above that I prefer magic to be supplemental to melee combat as opposed to instead of it, since magic has so many advantages to melee that if you could fight solely with it, it is a bit too powerful. Used to be limited casts balanced it, but with herbs you can get around that as quickly as if you were using an estus mid boss.

For all the people posting about spell nerfs, my Lightning Spear and Greater Lightning Spear seem actually better overall. I only have a lightning Priest's Chime +3 and 42 faith and I am doing similar damage to what I remember doing on my 50 faith character with a lightning Dragon Chime +5 right after the last number of casts nerf. Maybe they finally added in the damage boost there was supposed to be last nerf?

Cast time doesn't seem very different to me, but I only have 19 atn and no ring, so I'm sure it's mostly people using the +2 ring that will notice it bad. I should go on my Sor/Hex build and see if I notice it there.

And I agree with above that I prefer magic to be supplemental to melee combat as opposed to instead of it, since magic has so many advantages to melee that if you could fight solely with it, it is a bit too powerful. Used to be limited casts balanced it, but with herbs you can get around that as quickly as if you were using an estus mid boss.

Yeah they finally fixed the error that reduced damage rather than boosting it. So now I'm less butthurt about the casting nerf, clerics seem to be viable again. However, it did take a hit in poise damage, which in PvE shouldn't matter too terribly, but if you PvP you'll notice it I guess.

Mistel

Banned
IIRC two-handing a weapon only increases the physical damage. And Moonlight has 0 of that, unless it's Enchanted. Could be wrong though.
No that's right because it doesn't do physical other than as an enchanted weapon it doesn't benefit from being two handed.

Read at your own discretion.
Well, for Vendrick all you gotta do is get the 5 Giant souls, which if you don't know where they are, I can help you with that. Each Giant Souls reduces his physical defense, without them he has like 32x physical defense. Anyways, if you stay at his left leg and a little to hit butt all his attacks will miss you, and you can hit him once or twice after he swings. Makes him super easy. Ancient, on the other hand is an annoying boss, he has never been consistent with me, he constantly does a different moves each time I meet him, even though the way I fight him doesn't change :/.

I used two of the Great Souls to make weapons @_@. The Lost Sinner's Sword is my main greatsword, so I now need the Dragon soul to beat Vendrick.

For standard game? If you're going GS, ditch sorcery and get the Dragonrider bow if str focused, or hunter's blackbow / sea bow if dex. You'll do pretty much same damage as great heavy soul arrow spam without having to dump all the stats into int/attun, or having to bother with sorcerer gear, plus elemental arrows are far more versatile.

Hrm, that late game, though... if you have a lotta soul spears/ crystal soul spears, sorc might be worthwhile.

I have the bow but it kills my stamina after 2 shots. Spam with the staff and souls arrows, I can get 6-7 shots with great heavy soul arrows.
I'm willing to respec, but I dunno how advantageous less INT and more STR and DEX will be in Endgame. I want to finish the game with all bosses defeated and
Rat Authority
is a bastard.

v1perz53

I think its funny that as soon as a dlc comes out 10k players come out of nowhere and start playing. jerks.

Hey, works for me, made getting my last 10 sunlight medals and a bunch of Titanite Chunks from Bell Keeping that much easier!

I used two of the Great Souls to make weapons @_@. The Lost Sinner's Sword is my main greatsword, so I now need the Dragon soul to beat Vendrick.

No, the
giant souls
he is talking about are different. You
can't make weapons from them
. You get the ones you need for
Vendrick
from
Giant's memories areas, and the giants under Black Gulch

Top Bottom