• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

I find it funny that lots of people like to co-op, but once a boss co-ops with his buddies everyone hates on the poor boss :(. Random epiphany I got while waiting to be summoned heh. I really like how you can get summoned into the DLC, allows you to do it without owning it, thus giving you a first hand experience of if you like it or not. Question, can you do ALL the DLC, or just like the first boss?

v1perz53

I find it funny that lots of people like to co-op, but once a boss co-ops with his buddies everyone hates on the poor boss :(. Random epiphany I got while waiting to be summoned heh. I really like how you can get summoned into the DLC, allows you to do it without owning it, thus giving you a first hand experience of if you like it or not. Question, can you do ALL the DLC, or just like the first boss?

Hey, if I got a HP and damage reduction boost when bosses co-opped against me, I wouldn't be as annoyed when it happened!

Jaeger

Fume Knight battle
was intense. Easily my fave of the DLC so far. Had no idea the
Crown
itself was directly after that, either.

Still have not run into the other two bosses. I am definitely lost in most of this area.

All in all, my experience has been incredible thus far. Better than the first DLC, which was already top notch, in my book.

Hey, if I got a HP and damage reduction boost when bosses co-opped against me, I wouldn't be as annoyed when it happened!

Hah, yeah true. That's the main reason I'm iffy on getting the DLC. I'm on NG+ so I doubt there isn't a boss that either
A) Outnumbers me on NG(Like Ruin Sentinals or Duo Dragon Riders) thus making their boss fight even harder on NG+
or B)
Outnumber me in NG+ like Felxile Sentry and Lost Sinner
. Hopefully there's no stupid boss fights like
Ancient Dragon optional or not, that boss fight is just irritating.

I don't really know what constitutes a spoiler, since everyone is different. So better to be safe than to spoil something for someone :p.

I have the bow but it kills my stamina after 2 shots. Spam with the staff and souls arrows, I can get 6-7 shots with great heavy soul arrows.
I'm willing to respec, but I dunno how advantageous less INT and more STR and DEX will be in Endgame. I want to finish the game with all bosses defeated and
Rat Authority
is a bastard.

If you still got Nashandra's soul you could always craft a lightning bow of want. Thing is a machinegun.

Also dunno what melee weapon you're using, but red iron twinblade is pretty much crystal soul spear level damage on demand. Alternatively, a dash+r1 2h raw santier spear (or backstep+r1) does 900+dmg on dlc enemies, and allows you to keep your int and attun stats cray high while having just enough str+dex to equip the thing

Secret to rat authority is blitzing the dogs then sticking to the hind legs at melee range. Best of luck!

Zocano

DLC still not up on PSN |:

Thanks for shafting the PS3 users (though it's technically Sony's fault since they are really terrible with their update times).

Exr

News of magic nerfs is music to my ears always. What is that shield that allows you to parry spells? Please don't tell me it's a DLC only weapon, I'm holding out on the DLC until there's a bundle.

There are several shields that allow spellparry in the base game. Think you can get the golden wing shield, which allows for that, in less than... two hours from the start.

News of magic nerfs is music to my ears always. What is that shield that allows you to parry spells? Please don't tell me it's a DLC only weapon, I'm holding out on the DLC until there's a bundle.

I believe it's the
Magic shield you get it from the ghost dudes that spawn when the bells in Undead Crypt are rung.
You could get the Season Pass, it gives you it for $25 rather than $30. If you're on Steam there could be a Steam Sale of it, you never know with Steam Sales.

Close but no it is not tower it's
across the chain bridge. Near the fume sorcerers.

It's always been like that it doesn't do physical damage so it doesn't benefit from it. Was it infused with enchanted before the patch?
No it is currently not infused.
It definitely did additional damage while two handed before this patch. I would have to check the older enemies to check the damage to see if this change affects them as well.

Zocano

On a general note, it frustrates me that people are so hard on Dark Souls 2 and play up its negatives when Dark Souls 1 has its fair share of problems.

It's mostly the emphasis of "this game is so bad compared to 1" sort of stuff.

Also I think Dark Souls 1 is the weakest of the three.

Mistel

Banned
There's several in the base game five normal shields, a great shield, and 3 small shields off the top of my head have spell parry.
No it is currently not infused.
It definitely did additional damage while two handed before this patch. I would have to check the older enemies to check the damage to see if this change affects them as well.
It's not had anything done too it in this patch though.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
The run to OPTIONAL BOSS SPOILER FOR DLC
Smelter Demon is giving me a fucking migraine. This shit is not fun at al.

Ruuppa

What do I do with all of these
Souls of Nadalia
? I have like 5 now

They're only pieces. You need to get 12 or 11 of them to complete the soul. You can then make a chime out of it.

The run to OPTIONAL BOSS SPOILER FOR DLC
Smelter Demon is giving me a fucking migraine. This shit is not fun at al.

Did you try
the shortcuts? Pull the lever and run to the end of the passage before the door closes and you can skip a lot of fighting. The first shortcut is really easy, but the second one is a huge pain. The first shortcut can take you 80% of the way towards the boss though, so you can use that and ignore the second one. Obviously won't work as well with phantoms..

ilium

On a general note, it frustrates me that people are so hard on Dark Souls 2 and play up its negatives when Dark Souls 1 has its fair share of problems.

I thought i'm all alone with that! I honestly didn't "feel" it with DS1. It wasn't Bad or anything but i never understood the Hype while playing.
I enjoyed DS2 alot more than DS1 and Demon's is still my favorite.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
They're only pieces. You need to get 12 or 11 of them to complete the soul. You can then make a chime out of it.

Did you try
the shortcuts? Pull the lever and run to the end of the passage before the door closes and you can skip a lot of fighting. The first shortcut is really easy, but the second one is a huge pain. The first shortcut can take you 80% of the way towards the boss though, so you can use that and ignore the second one. Obviously won't work as well with phantoms..

I tried, but I get rekt every time. Is there a trick to not getting rekt?

Zocano

I thought i'm all alone with that! I honestly didn't "feel" it with DS1. It wasn't Bad or anything but i never understood the Hype while playing.
I enjoyed DS2 alot more than DS1 and Demon's is still my favorite.

Yah, Demon's Souls is still king. It's not even a contest. Not even close.

Great souls aren't giant souls they're different.

I know what souls you're talking about. I used 2 of them in weapons/magic trades.

If you still got Nashandra's soul you could always craft a lightning bow of want. Thing is a machinegun.

Also dunno what melee weapon you're using, but red iron twinblade is pretty much crystal soul spear level damage on demand. Alternatively, a dash+r1 2h raw santier spear (or backstep+r1) does 900+dmg on dlc enemies, and allows you to keep your int and attun stats cray high while having just enough str+dex to equip the thing

Secret to rat authority is blitzing the dogs then sticking to the hind legs at melee range. Best of luck!

I use the Lost SInner's Sword, 2 hand. I just love how cool the thing looks. With Drangelic Armor +4 and the Sinner Mask... OH man its imposing.

I think I still have her soul.

ilium

Yah, Demon's Souls is still king. It's not even a contest. Not even close.

Preach it brother!

god-church-pray.gif

You're entitled to your opinion...even if it's wrong :p. On a serious note, the problems I have with it aren't so much in comparison, rather stuff that just annoys me. Sure some stuff like map layout were way better in DS1 route wise and in terms of logical sense(
seriously a floating lava kingdom?
) Most of my issues are with how they made boss fights(
out numbering you and instakill AoEs are NOT difficult, they're just a pain in the ass
) Also, I hate how
Some events and items are only triggerable or purchasable in NG+ and some items can only be bought in NG++. Although you can get them in covenants before NG++ they require a substantial and ludicrous amount of covenant requirements. And by making it so progressive NGs have items unobtainable in earlier NGs they had to split the NGs, making Co-Oping and invading a pain the ass. Invading is another thing, you hardly ever get invaded in NG and since NG+ can't invade NG you won't get much PvP until NG+. Basically all the complaints I have with it revolve around how they set up NG, the bosses, and the torch being useless.

Ruuppa

You're entitled to your opinion...even if it's wrong :p. On a serious note, the problems I have with it aren't so much in comparison, rather stuff that just annoys me. Sure some stuff like map layout were way better in DS1 route wise and in terms of logical sense(
seriously a floating lava kingdom?
) Most of my issues are with how they made boss fights(
out numbering you and instakill AoEs are NOT difficult, they're just a pain in the ass
) Also, I hate how
Some events and items are only triggerable or purchasable in NG+ and some items can only be bought in NG++. Although you can get them in covenants before NG++ they require a substantial and ludicrous amount of covenant requirements. And by making it so progressive NGs have items unobtainable in earlier NGs they had to split the NGs, making Co-Oping and invading a pain the ass. Invading is another thing, you hardly ever get invaded in NG and since NG+ can't invade NG you won't get much PvP until NG+. Basically all the complaints I have with it revolve around how they set up NG, the bosses, and the torch being useless.

One of my bigger gripes with the game is that the PVP covenants are nerfed and annoying. It's completely impossible to rank up two of the four PVP covenants if you're offline, and even when you're online, ranking up in them is a tremendous pain in the ass (ten times so with BoB). Add to that that there is no infinite invasion item for either of them (not that it would help with bloody BoB), and you're in for a long, annoying haul if you want to max them out without cheating.

neoism

well gaf doesn't forgive most are just really pissed still about the lighting issue plus most realllllly love Miyazaki. I'll never understand it DS2 is the best game in the series by ALOT

One of my bigger gripes with the game is that the PVP covenants are nerfed and annoying. It's completely impossible to rank up two of the four PVP covenants if you're offline, and even when you're online, ranking up in them is a tremendous pain in the ass (ten times so with BoB). Add to that that there is no infinite invasion item for either of them (not that it would help with bloody BoB), and you're in for a long, annoying haul if you want to max them out without cheating.

Well, that's why there's an alternate way of getting everything in those two covenants.
The Ghost you meet when first stepping into Drangleic Castle sells all the Spells, Weapons and Shield in NG++, but it has to be actual NG++, not BAs. So I guess that's their way of saying sorry for putting such insanely high requirements to level up in these covenants.

Sullichin

Well, that's why there's an alternate way of getting everything in those two covenants.
The Ghost you meet when first stepping into Drangleic Castle sells all the Spells, Weapons and Shield in NG++, but it has to be actual NG++, not BAs. So I guess that's their way of saying sorry for putting such insanely high requirements to level up in these covenants.
I much prefer the solution of putting it behind NG++ instead of having to farm for items if you don't want to do it online. Getting great chaos fireball from the covenant is ridiculous.

chunk3rvd

What's the best advice for taking on Vendrick and Nashandra with my HEX/DEX build? I currently have 14 STR, 25 DEX, 30 INT and 30 FAI and my main weapons are a Dark Uchi +10, Dark Silverback Sickle + 10 and a Fire Longsword +10. I read that both bosses have good defense against dark which ruins most of my offense?

Was planning on taking the BSK in Majula Dark +10 since I couldn't get one to drop off any enemies in this playthrough but would I be better leaving it at normal +10 for now and buffing it with resins or something for these two?

I haven't beaten Darklurker yet which I'm guessing could be trouble on this build as well?

What's the best advice for taking on Vendrick and Nashandra with my HEX/DEX build? I currently have 14 STR, 25 DEX, 30 INT and 30 FAI and my main weapons are a Dark Uchi +10, Dark Silverback Sickle + 10 and a Fire Longsword +10. I read that both bosses have good defense against dark which ruins most of my offense?

Was planning on taking the BSK in Majula Dark +10 since I couldn't get one to drop off any enemies in this playthrough but would I be better leaving it at normal +10 for now and buffing it with resins or something for these two?

I haven't beaten Darklurker yet which I'm guessing could be trouble on this build as well?

Just melee them with the Fire Longsword. Both have pretty easy melee patterns.
Bait nashandra until she fires her laz0r, then whack.
Stick to vendrick~s...left leg, and wait for the several openings in his moveset.

Vendrick will take a while.

Could just go pyro and unload a crapton of flame swathes, tho.

Mistel

Banned

You'd be fine buffing the blacksteel with resins for the dark resistant enemies. The dark lurker has high fire defense but is weak to fire so your longsword should be alright. The longsword will work better on vendrick too compared to your dark weapons.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Crown of the Iron King DLC

So I got to bosses;
Smelter Demon took a few tries as SOLO, Fume Knight took me insane number of tries before finally nailing him in SOLO fight. But DAMN Sir Alonne always gets me with that Upper cut attack (Appears FROM just used Old Dragon Slayers moves)

Ruuppa

I much prefer the solution of putting it behind NG++ instead of having to farm for items if you don't want to do it online. Getting great chaos fireball from the covenant is ridiculous.

It's a solution, sure, but NG++? I barely ever make it to NG+ before I want to try out a new build, a new playstyle. If it were NG+, it'd be a lot simpler a matter. Having the option to farm the actual covenant ranks instead of the rewards would have been much preferable, for me at least. Obviously problematic with the farming prevention system we have now.

While we're on the subject, Sunbros, Ratbros and the Dragon covenant are also horrifying to max out when offline, with the item drops being low and the enemies easy to farm out.

Ah, gripes gripes gripes! Questionable design decisions on the covenants, sure, but I didn't much fancy farming out 30 Dragon Scales in DkS1 either. So there's that.

Crown of the Iron King DLC

So I got to bosses;
Smelter Demon took a few tries as SOLO, Fume Knight took me insane number of tries before finally nailing him in SOLO fight. But DAMN Sir Alonne always gets me with that Upper cut attack (Appears FROM just used Old Dragon Slayers moves)

Start your dodge when he lowers his sword to start the uppercut charge. If you wait any more than that, the teleport will smack you.

Not sure if this DLC mob's have rare drops or the item discovered got nerfed.

Also the Fall spell sorcerie is great in this DLC but the soul spear got useless

Ruuppa

Not sure if this DLC mob's have rare drops or the item discovered got nerfed.

Also the Fall spell sorcerie is great in this DLC but the soul spear got useless

The drops are super-rare. I'm still missing some pants, after Terminatoring all of my targets in search of them. I really don't feel like Asceticcin' that place. Seems like a bad idea all around.

Edit: What, you too? Damn rare things.

ilium

So i just realised something while watching a DS2 Video on YouTube and wonder if i'm alone with this: very often when someone opens his/her inventory it's PACKED with useless stuff, weapons and armor they don't use and never will. Sometimes they want to switch to another weapon and can't find it among all that useless trash. "Omg omg where is it, where aahh come on quick quick - YOU DIED"

I always cringe at that and am like "y u no put stuff away at bonfire?" ;.;

Am i weird for only having stuff in my inventory that i really need/use?

Ruuppa

So i just realised something while watching a DS2 Video on YouTube and wonder if i'm alone with this: very often when someone opens his/her inventory it's PACKED with useless stuff, weapons and armor they don't use and never will. Sometimes they want to switch to another weapon and can't find it among all that useless trash. "Omg omg where is it, where aahh come on quick quick - YOU DIED"

I always cringe at that and am like "y u no put stuff away at bonfire?" ;.;

Am i weird for only having stuff in my inventory that i really need/use?

I used to put stuff into my Bottomless Box. Then I learned that stuffin' my pants with garbage makes me feel more masculine.

But seriously, I've started keeping all of my stuff, except duplicate items or weaker versions of rings, on my person. You never know when you need that item no. #71 for that hard to reach spot. Helps me keep track of what I have as well, without having to consult the oracle of the Box every time.

The drops are super-rare. I'm still missing some pants, after Terminatoring all of my targets in search of them. I really don't feel like Asceticcin' that place. Seems like a bad idea all around.

Edit: What, you too? Damn rare things.

Yup, most of the gear stuff looks like rare drop.

i need the gloves and maybe their daggers

Pooya

DLC #2

+ Area, enemies all seem new, not reskins.
- But it's kinda boring, not really liking the level design. First DLC was better.
- I haven't gone down
the curse hole area yet
, but the other way is pretty easy. At the second area now,
it's too similar to first DLC... I wonder how they're connected.
- Nothing notable as far as loot that I've seen. I'm yet to beat the boss.

Top Bottom