• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Essay

Damn this NPC was tough... the guy started running twice when he dropped below 50% life.

http://youtu.be/n55PQMv67j0

Just managed to kill him because I ignored the curse and went for it.

I got lucky and caused him to fall down onto the first circular platform below with the bomb-tossers. After that, I just whittled them all away with arrows, and he never went to run away. Just stood there and took it like a man.. ^_^

vgBR.com

Banned
I got lucky and caused him to fall down onto the first circular platform below with the bomb-tossers. After that, I just whittled them all away with arrows, and he never went to run away. Just stood there and took it like a man.. ^_^

Got lucky indeed. I died right after killing him, on my way up... damn curse.

Killed the other NPC right now. This one was not so difficult, but that sword dealt a lot of damage.

http://youtu.be/Jbc7UlKKVos

Zocano

Wait.

So you're telling me. The "reskin" everyone keeps complaining about isn't actually a reskin?

People really are out to hate anything in this game.

SoldnerKei

so I came to the part where the coward npc invades you, no boss so far, the dlc is good, but I don't feel it's that hard,
curse
is a bother, but nothing to worry about, poison makes everything quite easy too, I like the level so far, let's see how bosses get me

Mistel

Banned
Wait.

So you're telling me. The "reskin" everyone keeps complaining about isn't actually a reskin?

People really are out to hate anything in this game.
Blue smelter is the same as the orange one in attacks and general appearance only difference is the horns and being blue due to magic.

There's several in the base game five normal shields, a great shield, and 3 small shields off the top of my head have spell parry.

It's not had anything done too it in this patch though.

Just got home to test it out. In the Forest of the Giants, One hand does 553 to enemies and 717 while two handed.

Seems to ignore two handed in the new DLC area.

EDIT: Hmm, it seems to be working correctly in the DLC area now. Must have to do with what part of the sword I hit the enemies with.

Jaeger

Yes, making sure people remember Dark Souls 1 isn't a masterpiece/special snowflake is bias.

Also of course there's bias. Everyone talks with some bias. That's called having an opinion.

What is going on ITT? Why the fuck is everyone so hostile, and not actually reading the post? I'm agreeing with you, about people having a bias with Dark Souls 1.

Mistel

Banned
Just got home to test it out. In the Forest of the Giants, One hand does 553 to enemies and 717 while two handed.

Seems to ignore two handed in the new DLC area.
Going to sound a bit far fetched but you sure you're not using the bluemoon greatsword?

If not I'm stumped as it's not meant to work like that it's pure magic damage so gains nothing from physical so two hand verses one handed should be like it is in the dlc area.

Zocano

What is going on ITT? Why the fuck is everyone so hostile, and not actually reading the post? I'm agreeing with you, about people having a bias with Dark Souls 1.

Oh, sorry.

I thought it was directed at me. Just thought you were thinking I was biased and shitting on Dark Souls 1. My bad ):

blado

Neogaf seems to be more hostile towards Dark Souls 2 then many other websites. It feels like there's at least one active Dark Souls 2 bashing thread at a time. I'd imagine this starts to annoy people after a while, so you just start assuming it's another attack on the game. I know it's annoying for me.

Levyne

Banned
Well, made it to the first (non initial) bonfire with no issue.

(DLC)
Should I use the items to destroy all the idols I see? For instance I'm not sure there's any reason to get the very first one if I went around it.

KarmaCow

Other than one room (I'm sure you can guess which one) I really enjoyed the DLC. I enjoyed the bosses and npc invasions more so than the actual areas and enemies within but there were some clever uses of the mechanics to change things up. I think I got most of the interesting weapons/armour/spells other than the Blue Dagger but haven't found a good use for any of them yet. I'll probably jump right in with another character in a week or so.

Well, made it to the first (non initial) bonfire with no issue.

(DLC)
Should I use the items to destroy all the idols I see? For instance I'm not sure there's any reason to get the very first one if I went around it.

You'll get enough to destroy all of them, eventually. You'll need to if you want to get something.

(More indepth spoilers)
Though if you use them immediately, you might have some issues with a boss since you get the final Smelter Wedge at the very end of the DLC.

Levyne

Banned
You'll get enough to destroy all of them, eventually. You'll need to if you want to get something.

(More indepth spoilers)
Though if you use them immediately, you might have some issues with a boss since you get the final Smelter Wedge at the very end of the DLC.

Ah okay, good to know!

Fuck this giant
club guy leaking fire,

AngryMoth

Beat the new DLC. Enjoyed it more than the first one. 2 pretty great boss fights, good level design and a bunch of really cool gear. Would probably have just cut iron passage though, that area sucked. What makes the reskinned boss even more annoying is that they messed with the timing of his attacks so you sort of have to relearn how to dodge him.

Guevara

Man what a gauntlet before the first (?) DLC boss.

I'd like to see someone successful run both "shortcuts", I can't do it. Also is the mage enemy casting the slowdown hex?

elohel

man two aspects of this game overall remind me so much of shadow tower and that's undead crypt in the undead ditch area and
the enemy in the dlc that makes weird noises and summons fire at the beginning of the new area btw how do you defeat that? lol

new dlc I mean

KarmaCow

I'd like to see someone successful run both "shortcuts", I can't do it. Also is the mage enemy casting the slowdown hex?

About the enemies,
yea the mages cast Walk of Peace. Makes it easier to backstab them. :p

As for the shortcuts,
it was really disappointing seeing the loot you can get for doing it. Really not worth it, not even anything unique.

Mistel

Banned
the enemy in the dlc that makes weird noises and summons fire at the beginning of the new area btw how do you defeat that? lol

new dlc I mean
There's an item nearby you pick it up then
stab her in her bosom when you use it that kills them.

Zocano

I really liked the DLC. It got a lot better after you turned on the tower and exploration became a bit more fun.

Enemies were alright. The mage assassins were neat. I liked the big golem dudes.

Also was annoyed at how the game would throw even more enemies at you at once.

Not as fascinating as the first's but the two new bosses were excellent
even if they were both swordsman

ElTopo

Banned
Progress report:

Beat Artorias 2.0. Took me about 20-30 attempts maybe. Half of that due to trying to kill him without taking out those healing generatorfuckerswhateveryawantocallem. I wanted to see if it 's possible and it looks like it is but it's really hard to keep him in the center or around the entrance.

Much harder than the original Artorias.

Got to the other two bosses. Smelter is a bitch but not so much the fight itself, it's the gauntlet leading up to him. From really overdid it in regards to mobs, ambushes and gauntlets in this DLC. I figured out the trick to getting through the gate (if you want to call it a trick) and I went through it hoping to find a bonfire or maybe some kickass item but nope. No bonfire and nothing really special. And taking that path is just as hard if not harder then just running through in the other path which you can totally do... Again, WTF From?

Kinda' figured out the Samurai boss. I take it that once you get to him you don't have to worry about a time limit and the memory fading. Annoying boss but he feels less fair than Artorias 2.0. Rolling through some of his attacks is really finnicky.

Going to try to take out the Samurai tomorrow, get the new pyromancy, then go after the Smelter Demon.

Also, I enchanted Havel's Shield with Magic and leveled it up a bit so now it has 100% Magic Defense and 98% Physical Defense. I want to see if this will work against the Smelter Demon because my Gyrim Shield did nothing against that Blue Flame.

Essay

someone on the Fextralife DSII wiki said:
I accidentally rested at the first bonfire in the iron keep and immediately ejected the disk and STILL got the ring

I hope the above entry from the wiki is true, because part-way through my current no-bonfires run, I accidentally sat at a bonfire, but ejected the disk <2 seconds later. I'm at Drangleic Castle now, so I might as well press on and see if I get the ring or not in the end. Whether I get it or not, I figure I'll at least be able to add a bit more information to this entry on the wiki.

How do you get onto the upper level shortcut? I couldn't figure it out. Is that fence beyond all the cells at the beginning meant to open?

I managed the entire lower level on my own a few times; SL250 with a Lightning Pursuer's UGS on NG+. After dying a suprising number of times to
Blue Smelter
, though, I decided to cheese it and run past everything.

I hate these gauntlets. They add nothing to the game and just don't mesh tonally, in my opinion.

ElTopo

Banned
How do you get onto the upper level shortcut? I couldn't figure it out. Is that fence beyond all the cells at the beginning meant to open?

You rush through it. Just run, roll through the fire, take the hit, just go. Then there's going to be another set of cells where you do the exact same thing.

And unless I missed a hidden bonfire it's not worth it. Just not worth it. The other path you can just run through where you might take a hit or two but going through the cells you are guaranteed to take damage unless you get really lucky.

I fucking hate that part.

You rush through it. Just run, roll through the fire, take the hit, just go. Then there's going to be another set of cells where you do the exact same thing.

And unless I missed a hidden bonfire it's not worth it. Just not worth it. The other path you can just run through where you might take a hit or two but going through the cells you are guaranteed to take damage unless you get really lucky.

I fucking hate that part.

Spanks, man.

Another question: the Tower Door that you unlock next to the Foyer bonfire... It's filled with toxic and one of those wedge asshats, along with a buttload of enemies; I can hear it, but I couldn't locate it. Where the hell is it and what's in there?

ElTopo

Banned
Fucking finally beat
Sir Alonne
, with the help of a decent player summon.

Now for
Smelter 2.

You tell me to "git gud" and you summoned? What a sissy.

Spanks, man.

Another question: the Tower Door that you unlock next to the Foyer bonfire... It's filled with toxic and one of those wedge asshats, along with a buttload of enemies; I can hear it, but I couldn't locate it. Where the hell is it and what's in there?

You mean the one that you have to walk on that chain and there's a phantom? That area sucks, but there's another Ashen Idol down there.

I think there's another spot that curses but I've honestly forgotten where it is. I play while hollow 99.9% of the time.

KarmaCow

Spanks, man.

On the bottom floor, to the left behind an iron door with a floating sword+greatbow enemy in front of it. I don't remember if there is anything special about that area other than the the Nadalia thing.

If you're annoyed by the constant curse the Ring of Binding helps because the curse effect doesn't do anything when you're already at the minimum health.

There is also
a helmet in dlc that nullifies curse
. (Item location spoilers)
Try looking for an illusory wall while riding an elevator.

JNA

Banned
So I haven't played DS 2 since a couple of days after it's release. Will play it again and actually finish it this time so my question is simple: should I build around Magic or Melee?

...for Early game.

- I usually always play a melee oriented class in all of the Souls games. Might want to mix things up a bit by going Magic first.

- Is Magic like Wrath of God or Hexes still OP or are most of them nerfed? I heard Great Soul Spear is really strong but not much of anything else at the moment.

- if Magic, Sorceries, Hexes, or Miracles? Or just simply all?

- If Melee, what's the current best weapons for PVP? I heard that there is this sword that is REALLY easy to parry with especially if you have a Dagger in your off hand and can one shot with it in a riposte.

Any advice is gladly appreciated. :)

Having now given the dlc a spin and just acquired the tower key, i honestly can't see what the fuck whoever designed this was thinking.

Enemies spawning from walls? Fucksake, only place that had that was the crypt, and they were CHAINED to the walls and did shit damage

Enemies spawning from the ground with absolutely zero indication of the spawn point? Seriously?

Enemies having delayed spawns after you hit the trigger, so that they only spawn about ten seconds later, to make sure that they hit you in the back?

Enemies spawning from walls already performing a lunge attack?

An illusory wall in
an elevator shaft
? Who the fuck
rides an elevator spamming A
?

None of those things promote taking your surroundings into account and proceeding slowly, all they promote is making you advance with your shield raised for absolutely no fucking reason besides protecting yourself from a shit encounter designer. Met an enemy? Better backtrack the fuck out, son. you don't know what staggered triggers you've popped.

Fucksake.

Also the reliance on fire arrows is ridiculous. Glad i'm apparently good at divining and had stocked 900 of them before i went there.

So after getting the
elevators
working again, should I go
up or down the tower
? Haha, indecisive :/

down, get a key, then up.

ElTopo

Banned
Having now given the dlc a spin and just acquired the tower key, i honestly can't see what the fuck whoever designed this was thinking.

Enemies spawning from walls? Fucksake, only place that had that was the crypt, and they were CHAINED to the walls and did shit damage

Enemies spawning from the ground with absolutely zero indication of the spawn point? Seriously?

Enemies having delayed spawns after you hit the trigger, so that they only spawn about ten seconds later, to make sure that they hit you in the back?

Enemies spawning from walls already performing a lunge attack?

An illusory wall in
an elevator shaft
? Who the fuck
rides an elevator spamming A
?

None of those things promote taking your surroundings into account and proceeding slowly, all they promote is making you advance with your shield raised for absolutely no fucking reason besides protecting yourself from a shit encounter designer. Met an enemy? Better backtrack the fuck out, son. you don't know what staggered triggers you've popped.

Fucksake.

Also the reliance on fire arrows is ridiculous. Glad i'm apparently good at divining and had stocked 900 of them before i went there.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

Top Bottom