• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Going to sound a bit far fetched but you sure you're not using the bluemoon greatsword?

If not I'm stumped as it's not meant to work like that it's pure magic damage so gains nothing from physical so two hand verses one handed should be like it is in the dlc area.

I'm positive. It's the Moonlight GreatSword +5.

ElTopo

Banned
I'll be honest; to anyone who hates fighting multiple enemies and thinks they suck compared to DS1 and Demons Souls, you're going to fucking hate this DLC. Flat out hate it. I had no problems with multiple enemies in DS2 because the multiple enemies were fairly weak and could be killed in 1-2 hits or they were placed in such a way that you knew they were coming and could lure them out and deal with 1 on 1. The later strategy still applies but now there's archers, firebombers, sorcerers and other annoying assholes placed in a spot that you can't melee them. Not to mention near-constant ambushes.

Thus follows this post immediately after mine:

Never had a problem with fighting more enemies at once. Just take your time. Stop running around like mad men. The game being harder because you have to manage fights with more than one enemy doesn't make it bad.

In typical Souls-ism, Get gud.

followed by:

Fucking finally beat
Sir Alonne
, with the help of a decent player summon.

Now for
Smelter 2.

And didn't see this comment because I had him on ignore and didn't see it until someone quoted him.

Nothing worse than someone trying to start shit, and ignores the post detailing how you are obviously confused.

So you tell me to "git gud" your words and not mine. Then brag about summoning to beat a boss...

jokerwk4.gif

Yeah, glad I put this guy on ignore.

Also, Solo'd the
Fume Knight
. No magic used. Only 2 handed MLGS. Was a really fun and tense fight. Haven't fought the other boss yet.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
DLC done, everything acquired. I like the Fume Sword moveset.

Had to spend like 40 minutes looking for the last Nadalia statue thing though.

Also, Solo'd the
Fume Knight
. No magic used. Only 2 handed MLGS. Was a really fun and tense fight. Haven't fought the other boss yet.

I beat him solo with the Great Club and my heart was racing as I delivered the final bonk. Great boss fight!
I liked the bullet hell-lite aspect of his AoE attack, it really caught me off guard.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Having now given the dlc a spin and just acquired the tower key, i honestly can't see what the fuck whoever designed this was thinking.

Enemies spawning from walls? Fucksake, only place that had that was the crypt, and they were CHAINED to the walls and did shit damage

Enemies spawning from the ground with absolutely zero indication of the spawn point? Seriously?

Enemies having delayed spawns after you hit the trigger, so that they only spawn about ten seconds later, to make sure that they hit you in the back?

Enemies spawning from walls already performing a lunge attack?

An illusory wall in
an elevator shaft
? Who the fuck
rides an elevator spamming A
?

None of those things promote taking your surroundings into account and proceeding slowly, all they promote is making you advance with your shield raised for absolutely no fucking reason besides protecting yourself from a shit encounter designer. Met an enemy? Better backtrack the fuck out, son. you don't know what staggered triggers you've popped.

Fucksake.

Yeah, I agree. This DLC sucks. I'm also sick to death of enemies with %1000 poise. This DLC is an exercise in frustration.

I'm going to stop for today: Defeated Maldron the Assassin using poison (same strategy I used against Licia and Jester Thomas), it took me several tries but it felt nice to see his corpse rotting in the same area... he "died" there. So far the area has been fun, haven't found any bosses yet though. I think I like more the Crown of the Sunken King DLC and I think it was more difficult as well (because of the poison maybe), anyways I liked a lot what I played today.

Levyne

Banned
Going to stop before fighting
Alonne
since it's gotten late and it seems like he might take several tries ; ;

I like the first DLC a lot better I think.

I started playing the first DLC and got to the first boss. I regret every decision I made in life that has led me to to this point.
3v1 Seriously? They didn't get enough with the Ruin Sentinels? These guys are worse, at least with the Sentinels you did 1v1, then got another 1v1 for a few seconds before the third jumped up. Now it's 2v1 with 1 shooting arrows at you, da fuq?

I beat him solo with the Great Club and my heart was racing as I delivered the final bonk. Great boss fight!
I liked the bullet hell-lite aspect of his AoE attack, it really caught me off guard.

That boss kept you on your toes. I couldn't scratch my nose or I would be dead.

Levyne

Banned
I started playing the first DLC and got to the first boss. I regret every decision I made in life that has led me to to this point.
3v1 Seriously? They didn't get enough with the Ruin Sentinels? These guys are worse, at least with the Sentinels you did 1v1, then got another 1v1 for a few seconds before the third jumped up. Now it's 2v1 with 1 shooting arrows at you, da fuq?

Just fyi, that's an optional boss of the first dlc.

ElTopo

Banned
Okay guys, I just beat it. Didn't do a 100% perfectionist run but I think I got all the good shit and I beat all 3 bosses so here's some strategy I will lay down.

(For reference, I run Melee. I apologize if I mention that too much but this is to inform anyone who casually visits the thread)

Fume Knight
(Artorias 2.0): Be good at dodging. Otherwise run a 100% physical reduction Greatshield and block his short sword. Not much strategy here.

Sir Alone:
Stick to his left when strafing. If you're at the right spot certain attacks will whiff and give you a shot. You can block everything he does except for the attack where his blade glows with Dark and he does an unblockable stab. Stick close and strafe to his left (or your right).

Easy way to cheese Smelter Demon:
This boss sucks. Honestly. It's the same exact fight except this time he infuses himself with blue magic and he has one new attack (AOE blue magic) that he does once and only once when he activates the burning magic inside him. Lame. Ass. Boss. He has almost the same exact pattern as before except he likes to do that leaping stab a little more often it seems.

Easy way to cheese this guy if you're not GDLK at dodging: get Havel's shield (Havel's shield has 100% physical reduction and generally good stats across the board) infuse it with magic. Now it has 100% magic reduction and roughly 95% physical reduction. You can level up the shield all the way to 98% physical reduction. Now you can block ALL of the Smelter Demons attack except the AOE shit. The chip damage you get is very minimal as you can imagine.

Anyone experience weird hitboxes with the Smelter Demon? At least twice he killed me while my shield was fully up but his attack went through my shield.

Does anyone know if the mobs inside the memories desapawn after enough times or are they infinite. Just curious, I don't think it will take too many attempt to get through this one, but I wondered if they were different.

ElTopo

Banned
Does anyone know if the mobs inside the memories desapawn after enough times or are they infinite. Just curious, I don't think it will take too many attempt to get through this one, but I wondered if they were different.

They do in fact despawn. At least From showed some mercy there. That gauntlet still sucks though.

zewone

I thought the new DLC was pretty crappy compared to the first. Level design not as good and bosses were a huge step down.

It also felt a lot easier. One shot every boss.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I thought the new DLC was pretty crappy compared to the first. Level design not as good and bosses were a huge step down.

It also felt a lot easier. One shot every boss.

You one shot every boss lmao okay

Unless you mean on your first try then never mind.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I honestly don't know. I got all the obvious ones, and two in the horrible curse areas.

Did you get the smoke roll ring? Around there there's an elevator that leads you to a room with like 6 doors or something and thats where my last one was.

Alright, I finally beat S
ir
A
lonne
with the help of a nice tanky summon. I had been going through the previous parts of the DLC in offline mode because I didn't want cheaters invading me, though I was probably being too cautious. It was still pretty touch and go, that boss is a tough customer.

The run to the last boss though, ugh. I read there's a shortcut somewhere though, is it actually helpful?

Ruuppa

Alright, I finally beat S
ir
A
lonne
with the help of a nice tanky summon. I had been going through the previous parts of the DLC in offline mode because I didn't want cheaters invading me, though I was probably being too cautious. It was still pretty touch and go, that boss is a tough customer.

The run to the last boss though, ugh. I read there's a shortcut somewhere though, is it actually helpful?

Shortcut to
Sir Alonne
? No such thing, you always have to slog through his adds. Or are you talking about the
Reskin Demon
?

Ruuppa

Blue Smelter

Pull the switch in the room right after the summoning room, and sprint/roll to the end of the cage-corridor, where the fireball machine is shooting at you. It's not too hard, but if you don't make it, you'll probably die. There are two shortcuts like those, back-to-back, and the second one is a lot harder to do. But even the first one allows you to skip 80% of the fighting in the area.

Mistel

Banned
So I haven't played DS 2 since a couple of days after it's release. Will play it again and actually finish it this time so my question is simple: should I build around Magic or Melee?

...for Early game.

- I usually always play a melee oriented class in all of the Souls games. Might want to mix things up a bit by going Magic first.

- Is Magic like Wrath of God or Hexes still OP or are most of them nerfed? I heard Great Soul Spear is really strong but not much of anything else at the moment.

- if Magic, Sorceries, Hexes, or Miracles? Or just simply all?

- If Melee, what's the current best weapons for PVP? I heard that there is this sword that is REALLY easy to parry with especially if you have a Dagger in your off hand and can one shot with it in a riposte.

Any advice is gladly appreciated. :)
Some answers:
  1. You could do both melee or melee hybrid it's doable either way.
  2. Hexes are still pretty strong.
  3. What ever takes your fancy really you can use everything if you want.
  4. That is the monastery scimitar it's a drop from a NG+ phantom its got insta parry frames
I'm positive. It's the Moonlight GreatSword +5.
Well I can't explain that then.
Um anyone know where I can get like 6 more
smelter wedges?
:-/
There's 4 in the chest
go up the lifts twice and go left, you find a room with possessed armor and powder keg hollows it's in there at the end. One more is after Sir Alonne
Anyone experience weird hitboxes with the Smelter Demon? At least twice he killed me while my shield was fully up but his attack went through my shield.
You said why that happened yourself your magic +5 havel greatsheild no longer has 100% physical block. Hence the bleed through of attacks.

Man, Fume was no pushover. About 12 attempts, I reckon (NG+). Some of his delayed, physics-defying attacks are complete bullshit.

Is the remaining boss more difficult? And how does one get Fume's armour set?

Cheers, Gaf.

Mistel

Banned
Man, Fume was no pushover. About 12 attempts, I reckon (NG+). Some of his delayed, physics-defying attacks are complete bullshit.

Is the remaining boss more difficult? And how does one get Fume's armour set?

Cheers, Gaf.
Marigold sell it once you kill him. Sir Alonne is alright Smelter 2.0 is the same but blue and magicy.

Jaeger

Ended up beating Smelter 2 at the cost of some sleep last night. Going solo in NG+++ worked out better on him and Fume, due to him losing much more health per hit than he would have with summons. The longer the match went on, the less likely I was to finish.

Still need to get;

Umbral Dagger
Fume Sorcerer Boots
Possessed Armor Sword
Fume Sword
Ashen Warrior Sword
Minotaur Helm

Marigold sell it once you kill him. Sir Alonne is alright Smelter 2.0 is the same but blue and magicy.

Grazie, Stormtrooper.

Already pwnd Aqua Smelter. He actually gave me quite a bit of trouble, which is odd, seeing as I never had any issues with OG Smelter in NG/NG+.

I think the deplorable rehash was messing with my Souls chi... Yep... Must have been it.

Mistel

Banned
Blah, using the Third Dragon Ring affects the AR you get from Flynn's Ring? Oh well, time to respec I guess.
Drop to 10 VIT then you can use it without reducing the bonus or take it off and go to 14 VIT your choice.
Grazie, Stormtrooper.

Already pwnd Aqua Smelter. He actually gave me quite a bit of trouble, which is odd, seeing as I never had any issues with OG Smelter in NG/NG+.

I think the deplorable rehash was messing with my Souls chi... Yep... Must have been it.
That probably it lol. It's pretty much the same fight except being magic instead of fire.

Top Bottom