• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

SoldnerKei

You can't reach
Sir Alonne
until after you get the
Crown of the Old Iron King

You use it like the
Ashen Mist Heart to go into the Memories of his Armor/Weapon.

nice, thanks for the info!

I will try to get this dlc done by tonight, and then help people with the bosses

I just realized I got almost no enemy drops at all from this DLC. I don't think I got a single piece or armor, and nothing more interesting than upgrade materials.

I got the Axe from the iron paper soldiers, and some armor from the yellow dudes in the cave thing section before the recycle boss

do the black lighting mages drope their gear? they look funny

probably the most annoying part of the new DLC is the path to the
Smelter Demon
. Especially on NG++. They expect me to go through there with nerfed magic, tanky as fuck red phantoms. Not to mention shitty layout.

ElTopo

Banned
probably the most annoying part of the new DLC is the path to the
Smelter Demon
. Especially on NG++. They expect me to go through there with nerfed magic, tanky as fuck red phantoms. Not to mention shitty layout.

I didn't deal with any Phantoms on the path to the Smelter Demon. I'm on NG+.

In the area with the fog gate, there 2 fire spilling Giant (one of them is Red Phantom), 2 Hollow mages (one of them Red), and Possessed Armor.

I didn't find this to be true. Each of the two DLCs have been the same length if not longer the AotA.

Yeah, it took me about 5-6 hours to beat the DS1 DLC. And so far each DLC for DS2 has taken me between 6-8 hours to beat.

That was actually how a Namco rep described the DLC during E3, it just happened to also agree with my experiences. I wouldn't use "time to beat" as the measure of how much content is there, especially for Souls games that could vary a lot based on your character build, if it's NG or a later NG+, etc.

Iron King in particular has a lot of content but AotA also had a lot of depth not included in these DLCs. AotA introduced multiple new NPCs with story lines and voice acting (
Elizabeth, Chester, Gough, Ciaran
), more environmental and enemy variety than Sunken especially, and the bosses have a lot more "content" to them. It also introduced the PvP arenas that DaS2 used in the Blood/Sentinel covenants.

I mean just compare bosses: AotA's
Sanctuary Guardian (and bonus double SG fight), Artorias, Kalameet, and Manus
to Sunken's
gank squad of pre-existing character models, a combo of Nashandra/Velstadt, and then a very cool dragon fight that's reminiscent of Kalameet but not too much.

I love the DLCs like I said but I think they cut a few more corners. I've certainly spent a ton of time playing them, just like AotA. Bottom line is Souls games do DLC right.

zewone

2 switches? May i ask where? because i am about to play dark souls 1 to make myself feel better.

Right when you enter, you should see a switch in front of what looks like jail cells and a salamander statue behind bars as well.

Pull the switch and run towards the salamander statue (while dodging) to skip an entire area.

In the next room, you should see a switch and jail cells again. Do the exact same thing.

If you do this, you'll be in an area right above the boss mist door.

Xeroblade

Right when you enter, you should see a switch in front of what looks like jail cells and a salamander statue behind bars as well.

Pull the switch and run towards the salamander statue (while dodging) to skip an entire area.

In the next room, you should see a switch and jail cells again. Do the exact same thing.

If you do this, you'll be in an area right above the boss mist door.

That sounds a lot better but that still doesnt make it right to create a gauntlet like that. I want to fight all those enemies i do, but when they are thrown at us like that, whats the point?

So no, upgrading the
Chime of Scream
is not worth it.
At all.
Scaling stays at B(fth) et B(int), even infused wth lightning.
The cast speed is an absolute joke (25, LOL).
But hey, it raise your Faith stat by... 2 points.

What a load of crap.

v1perz53

So no, upgrading the
Chime of Scream
is not worth it.
At all.

What a load of crap.

I don't really know what the point of it is, to be honest. It is kind of garbage in every way. Maybe slow cast speed to fake people out in PvP, get them to roll early?

Sullichin

So no, upgrading the
Chime of Scream
is not worth it.
At all.

What a load of crap.
Wtf. I can't think of any scenario where you would want to use this. Especially considering how late you get it.

That sounds a lot better but that still doesnt make it right to create a gauntlet like that. I want to fight all those enemies i do, but when they are thrown at us like that, whats the point?

"challenge".
Normal enemy encounters in this dlc are crap. Only good thing i can say about them is that at least they can be stunned easily.

It's either rush through the shortcut, or go the long way, skipping the ranged mobs in unreachable position.

At least the two new bosses and the tower itself are well designed.

Can someone tell me if the (dlc n°2 slight spoilers)
ashen idols and smelter wedges
respawn with the use of a bonfire ascetic?

On another note, still can't play on EU PSN for Season Pass holders...this is ridiculous :(

So no, upgrading the
Chime of Scream
is not worth it.
At all.

What a load of crap.

Tell me about it with the dlc sorceries, not really worth it to get it early since lycia is the easiest chime to get.

Maybe it have a passive ability?

Mogwai

Any word on when the DLC will be available for PS3?

I'm sitting here in United States of Europe and don't know what to do with myself :(

It's already there if you want to pay 9.99€

If you have the Season Pass like myself...you still need to wait until someone on Sony's side decides to flip the switch on the price D:

Oh btw, i found out something with the Defender Sword : when you push L2, you get Lightning infuse.

Didn't know that.

I've been using it for 3 months.

ah ah (-_-;)7

Sullichin

Oh btw, i found out something with the Defender Sword : when you push L2, you get Lightning infuse.

Didn't know that.

I've been using it for 3 months.

ah ah (-_-;)7

You can imbue it with lightning as well if you're more of a FTH build and get more lightning damage. Lightning clutch ring too.

chunk3rvd

Just offed Nashandra. Been playing on and off since launch day so it feels good to finally have that first playthrough behind me (although I still have the 2 open DLC areas to explore). Are there any good lore videos on Youtube like the ones ENB did for the first Dark Souls?

Ruuppa

Wtf. I can't think of any scenario where you would want to use this. Especially considering how late you get it.

You could perhaps use it for buffing and stuff only in your offhand to benefit from the +2 Fth? And then roll around as a fast melee smasher without a shield?

I got nothing. Bad item all around.

I'm a caster and can't kill the
fume knight

I even tried meleeing with my magic mace + 10 and still not luck.

Any tips?

Hug him and circle him to your right, where he keeps his big sword. Doing that allows you to avoid his fast combos. He only has one punishment attack for that, and it's relatively easy to avoid.

When he powers up, do the opposite: Stay at range. His jumping attack and stabbing charges are really easy to punish, as are his Balls of Fury if you can roll through the gaps quick enough.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Why has no one mentioned the
Gauntlet Run to Smelter fuck 2.0?

Seriously if THAT is what you do to define your game as tough then its stupid.
I hate that place so much. Having those archers and mages that are completely out of range of melee AND who actually slow you down with some cheap spell is just asinine. And yes, the rehash boss is very disappointing. I killed him, and haven't encountered any other bosses yet
though I'm at the lowermost bonfire and saw a big fog so I assume that's a boss
, but I hope the other bosses are better than this a fucking palette swap. That's really unacceptable, come on From.

Just offed Nashandra. Been playing on and off since launch day so it feels good to finally have that first playthrough behind me (although I still have the 2 open DLC areas to explore). Are there any good lore videos on Youtube like the ones ENB did for the first Dark Souls?

Mmmm yes, outside ENB there is Vaati since he is the unofficial, official spokerman of FROM.

I'm a caster and can't kill the
fume knight

I even tried meleeing with my magic mace + 10 and still not luck.

Any tips?

Best strategy is to go two-handed and get in his grill and dodge. It is a tricky fight especially on ng+ and beyond, but I found that better than trying to tank or keep distance for range attacks.

Xeroblade

I hate that place so much. Having those archers and mages that are completely out of range of melee AND who actually slow you down with some cheap spell is just asinine. And yes, the rehash boss is very disappointing. I killed him, and haven't encountered any other bosses yet
though I'm at the lowermost bonfire and saw a big fog so I assume that's a boss
, but I hope the other bosses are better than this a fucking palette swap. That's really unacceptable, come on From.

You are my best friend from now on.

Mistel

Banned
You could perhaps use it for buffing and stuff only in your offhand to benefit from the +2 Fth? And then roll around as a fast melee smasher without a shield?

I got nothing. Bad item all around.
Along with being the slowest charm in game its FTH bonus is outperformed the ring of prayer which you can obtain far earlier. How humorous a boss weapon.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The NPC summons are weak
I tried them in the pre-
Smelter
gauntlet, though I dismissed them before the boss because I wanted to solo him. They were hilariously ineffective. I did laugh at the gestures and the "hello!" carving, though, that was a nice touch. But yeah, they stick to you and don't go towards the enemies, which is what I wanted them to do (Felicia the Brave, how I miss thee), even when they're being bombarded by arrows or spells they just stand there and don't aggro the enemies, their damage is pitifully weak, and worse, they have no ranged attacks so they are only "useful" as distractions from the enemies. They could have at least given one of them a bow or crossbow or hell even firebombs or something. :\

Top Bottom