• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Jaeger

There is a new smelter boss? Hooo boy. How is the new dlc? I've yet to start it.

In line with the original. Nice, large maze like level design. A handful of new enemies and lots of delicious goodies.

One rehash boss (a bigger offender than the first DLC), but he's optional.

Very challenging.

Sullichin

Wtf, is there no way to get back up after
Fume Knight
? No feather or bones.
Nevermind. I can't believe I missed that bonfire and find it after the boss.

Mistel

Banned
You still lose 1pt on the ring's AR bonus at 10 VIT. It brings the overall weight to 60.2 on my Main. Small price to pay though.
You don't lose a point it counts as 60 still as it rounds down from 60.2. Once it's >60.5 that's when points are lost. For every 0.5 over 60 that is a point lost from the AR.

Xeroblade

Why has no one mentioned the
Gauntlet Run to Smelter fuck 2.0?

Seriously if THAT is what you do to define your game as tough then its stupid.

v1perz53

So I just noticed that throughout playing my faith build for the past week or so, I've only been invaded once and I've been online the whole time. Have people given up on invading anything that isn't the DLC? It used to be that I would be invaded pretty much instantly if I entered Heide's or Iron Keep, and at least once or twice in Forest of Fallen Giants. I mean, I just did all of Belfry Sol online and didn't get one grey spirit. Seems odd.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
So I just noticed that throughout playing my faith build for the past week or so, I've only been invaded once and I've been online the whole time. Have people given up on invading anything that isn't the DLC? It used to be that I would be invaded pretty much instantly if I entered Heide's or Iron Keep, and at least once or twice in Forest of Fallen Giants. I mean, I just did all of Belfry Sol online and didn't get one grey spirit. Seems odd.

What SM are you?

v1perz53

What SM are you?

Started a week ago at SM 0 fresh character, currently about 1,500,000 SM and through that whole range only been invaded once by a red phantom. Been sitting around in all areas waiting to co-op so I figured I would get at least a few red phantoms.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Started a week ago at SM 0 fresh character, currently about 1,500,000 SM and through that whole range only been invaded once by a red phantom. Been sitting around in all areas waiting to co-op so I figured I would get at least a few red phantoms.

They're pretty rare in general but probably more so until you go into NG+

Trakan

There is a new smelter boss? Hooo boy. How is the new dlc? I've yet to start it.

I think it's right up there with the first. Great level design and aesthetic. Shulva and Brume Tower are quickly becoming my two favorite areas in the series.

The Fume Knight and Sir Alonne are awesome bosses. I think it's pretty cool how you can choose to make the Fume Knight harder on yourself if you want to. The fact that he's Velstadt's brother is a nice lore addition as well. Loved Alonne's boss arena.

I also love the amount of fan service in the DLC. I can't wait to use Artorias' sword.

Is the DLC worth it, is it as good/long as Artorias of the Abyss? I'm thinking of getting the season pass but 24,99 is pretty steep unless it's at least as big as the expansion for DS 1.

Sullichin

My fight against
Fume King
using everyone's new favorite
Magestic Greatsword
. Took 3 or 4 tries. He didn't power up this time for whatever reason. Maybe I killed him too fast, or just got lucky. As you can see I'm not very good at dodging this guy yet
https://www.youtube. com/watch?v=ULOx8zNTzWw&list=UUFXZ08EAkQsK0ALRFvBw_uQ
(does putting youtube links in spoiler tags prevent mobile embeds? that's my intention)

ElTopo

Banned
You said why that happened yourself your magic +5 havel greatsheild no longer has 100% physical block. Hence the bleed through of attacks.

No, it wasn't bleed through. I had the shield up, plenty of stamina, he was targeted, I was facing him, and his attack went right through the shield doing full damage. I don't even think he does bleed.

v1perz53

No, it wasn't bleed through. I had the shield up, plenty of stamina, he was targeted, I was facing him, and his attack went right through the shield doing full damage. I don't even think he does bleed.

Bleed through as in a part of the attack made it through since the shield isn't 100%, not actual in game bleed. But that still doesn't explain taking full damage.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
1 AR point isn't really much to worry about it as to get the full 50 when you've got 60.2 it depends on what weapon you use it's kinda strange like that.

Ah, okay.

I agree about the 1pt though, it's a small price to pay really. 49AR is still worth it. In conjunction with RoB+1 and 50 DEX, it's boosted my lovely new Whitesteel Katana to something around 425+ AR. Can't wait to get my hands on the RoB+2 :)

Mistel

Banned
Bleedthrough is a mechanic where damage is taken through the shield as it doesn't have the ability to block 100% of the damage.

ElTopo

Banned
Bleedthrough is a mechanic where damage is taken through the shield as it doesn't have the ability to block 100% of the damage.

But it wasn't bleedthrough. The attack didn't even make contact with my shield and there was no sound effect of him hitting the shield.I had the shield up fully and I took full damage. It happened twice and there was zero indication of bleed through and I was blocking every attack.

You can run through it at least. Not the path with the cells and the switch though.

I wasted a lot of time slogging through the long way since I didn't think I could make it past the gates in time. New Smelter was tough (especially for solo NG3+) but the route there was much more annoying.

Then I realized you could take the high road through the gates, take a flying leap off the top right ledge, past those giant iron warrior enemies, and right to the fog door. I only bothered to kill the sorceress by the 2nd gate lever and the possessed armor at the end of the ledge where you need to jump.

Edit:
Is the DLC worth it, is it as good/long as Artorias of the Abyss? I'm thinking of getting the season pass but 24,99 is pretty steep unless it's at least as big as the expansion for DS 1.

Each piece of DLC is smaller than AotA but all three together will be considerably larger. If you liked DaS2, you should definitely pick up the DLC. Honestly I think these two areas are better than anything from the main game. Especially the DLC that just came out, which is some of the best stuff of the entire series (and I don't say that lightly).

I don't know when they started working on the DLC but it seems clear that they paid a lot of attention to DaS2 criticisms and went out of their way to make more interesting and complex levels. DeS and DaS1 will always be top dogs for me, but this team has really elevated their output.

ElTopo

Banned
I wasted a lot of time slogging through the long way since I didn't think I could make it past the gates in time.

You totally can though. Just gotta' run, time some rolls, and run to the boss door, time a roll for the giant dude and boom. I found it easier anyway.

Guevara

Got pretty lost in the DLC. Somehow I 'finished' it last night:
beat Fume and got the crown
but totally missed optional boss
Sir Alonne

SoldnerKei

finally got to the
Smelter smelly Demon
, tried twice and went to sleep, so I guess that after getting the
Tower Key
all bosses become accessible right? the level feels longer than the previous dlc imo

Jaeger

finally got to the
Smelter smelly Demon
, tried twice and went to sleep, so I guess that after getting the
Tower Key
all bosses become accessible right? the level feels longer than the previous dlc imo

You can't reach
Sir Alonne
until after you get the
Crown of the Old Iron King

You use it like the
Ashen Mist Heart to go into the Memories of his Armor/Weapon.

Mistel

Banned
But it wasn't bleedthrough. The attack didn't even make contact with my shield and there was no sound effect of him hitting the shield.I had the shield up fully and I took full damage. It happened twice and there was zero indication of bleed through and I was blocking every attack.
Then that broken hitboxes then like the other Smelter. It probably uses the same hitboxes for its sword in both encounters.

You totally can though. Just gotta' run, time some rolls, and run to the boss door, time a roll for the giant dude and boom. I found it easier anyway.

For sure. It's completely do-able and I had some successful runs that way, but just found the other route to be easier for me. The game is also designing the "low road" as a punishment for not making it through the gates in time since you have less control over separating yourself from the enemies. Some well-timed rolls can make up for all that of course!

Guevara

I just realized I got almost no enemy drops at all from this DLC. I don't think I got a single piece or armor, and nothing more interesting than upgrade materials.

Jaeger

I just realized I got almost no enemy drops at all from this DLC. I don't think I got a single piece or armor, and nothing more interesting than upgrade materials.

I believe some if not all of the drops are rare drops. Jester + Gold Ring +2 for me to get anything to drop.

This DLC has the most interesting items, IMO too.

Top Bottom