• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

v1perz53

Summons should do about as much damage as the player. After all, the boss gets a buff x every summons.

I agree, there are unfortunately always outliers. Like the summons here that are terrible, but then you have Jester Thomas or Iron Tarkus who can solo the bosses without your help at all. Though even summons that do no damage have uses, like taking boss focus so you can heal. Like Sif in the Manus fight from Dark Souls 1.

NEO0MJ

So, am I the only one having trouble with
The Smelter Demon? He always seems to overwhelm me near the end of the fight.

Ruuppa

The NPC summons are weak

Carhillion, more like some day my teachings will do 24 damage to Fume :-/

The ones for the Smelter were surprisingly effective, at least on NG. I got both of them down to the boss that hard way, and only the twinblade dude died to the boss. It was fun seeing them facetank the boss like it was nothing. The survivor did the Joy -gesture when I won, too. I did try healing them with Warmth just before the boss, as they were both at half health, but they were healing for less than 0.5% every tick. They have metric tons of HP.

Didn't try the ones at Fume, since he was a fun solofight without a stupid gauntlet to go through first.

Facism

this dlc epitomizes the shit-ai, enemy gangbang of DS2. Absolutely horrible approach to
lazy-devs Demon
and
Allone

Turned to complete shit after the
Fume Knight

ugoo18

This DLC is an absolute grind geez,
feels like there are more enemies in this DLC alone than some areas combined. It's like every room has upto 10 if not more enemies. Is there any real reason why the area before you use the ashen mist has 4 of the same damm red phantoms literally on the same staircase all funneling into a room with a 5th red phantom that's the exact same -_-, There's challenging from creative enemy use then there's annoying tedious difficulty by just packing a room full of enemies in the laziest possible way.

Also gain with the rejigged bosses and the humanoid bosses.

Levyne

Banned
I just didn't like the two parts where it felt like you were required (well, heavily encouraged) to YOLO your way to the
flaming totem thing
, then die, then manage your way back to your body afterwards. Seemed a bit silly.

Got summoned today in
Alonne memory
The host summoned a NPC too.
It's probably a bug, but this guy keep spamming HELLO carving through all the fights, he did absolutely nothing else.
That was hilarious.
The host didn't seem to appreciate it tough (._.)

Guevara

I am also not enjoying this DLC as much as the first. Some areas I beat just by running through. That's not usually how I play.

this dlc epitomizes the shit-ai, enemy gangbang of DS2. Absolutely horrible approach to
lazy-devs Demon
and
Allone

Turned to complete shit after the
Fume Knight

You're right bro, the game should be more like it's vastly inferior predecessors. Who didn't like fighting the boring as fuck reskinned Demon's Souls intro boss 3 times in Dark Souls 1?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
IMO this DLC is way better than the first. Level design, aesthetics, items and equipment and bosses are all better.

Also a cool little 'secret':
Because of the Raime (Fume Knight) x Velstadt Lore, if you enter the Fume Knight boss fight wearing full Velstadt armour he will enter his second phase immediately.

http://a.pomf.se/wolwvf. webm

ugoo18

You're right bro, the game should be more like it's vastly inferior predecessors. Who didn't like fighting the boring as fuck reskinned Demon's Souls intro boss 3 times in Dark Souls 1?

Because having
multiples of the same red phantom all spawn in the same area
is good design?

Blue Smelter's
ability to switch up his timing was such a nice touch to that boss. Normal Smelter was always such a joke to fight so it was cool to see how small changes can make a fight more challenging.

Ah, that old 'wait ten minutes outside the boss door and see zero summon signs but then when I put mine down I am summoned instantly' thing... I'd just like some help for the stupid Smelter Demon ;_;

Maybe tonight after work I'll have more success.

ugoo18

Did you really just compare phantoms to bosses?

Yes i did, there's no excuse or reason to have something like that at all. How is that good game design?

Better yet give me an example of these apparently vastly inferior games having to devolve to such cheap methods of difficulty like having 4+ of THE SAME RED PHANTOM all spawn essentially in the same room.

Multiple different phantoms i've got no issue with but the same freaking phantom is outright lazy.

Yes i did, there's no excuse or reason to have something like that at all. How is that good game design?

Better yet give me an example of these apparently vastly inferior games having to devolve to such cheap methods of difficulty like having 4+ of THE SAME RED PHANTOM all spawn essentially in the same room.

Multiple different phantoms i've got no issue with but the same freaking phantom is outright lazy.

How is it bad design? Phantoms are just regular old enemies yet slightly harder. What's bad design about being one of the only multi-summon enemies series, besides them being a complete push over like every phantom in Dark Souls history besides Jester Thomas? There are a few that fight range while others go for melee & you have to keep track of both. Hardly poor game design, sounds like more of a case of scrubby nerd rage to me.

zewone

This DLC is an absolute grind geez,
feels like there are more enemies in this DLC alone than some areas combined. It's like every room has upto 10 if not more enemies. Is there any real reason why the area before you use the ashen mist has 4 of the same damm red phantoms literally on the same staircase all funneling into a room with a 5th red phantom that's the exact same -_-, There's challenging from creative enemy use then there's annoying tedious difficulty by just packing a room full of enemies in the laziest possible way.

Also gain with the rejigged bosses and the humanoid bosses.

This sums up the difference between DS1 and 2's design philosophies.

Heh, I thought the
multiple phantoms
were super novel.
I don't think they have as much health as other red phantoms or maybe it just seemed that way as each one of their own is relatively easy, so even as a group they're not especially difficult and it's totally unexpected to see. Plus, given how difficult it is to farm that NPC in Belfry Sol, it felt like they were rewarding DLC owners by doing this to give more opportunities to get his equipment.

zewone

If they want to reward the DLC owners, let us buy unlimited petrified dragon bones from a new NPC.

I'm well aware of the run in Shulva for 3, but I'm on intensity 42. It's boring as hell. Just let me buy the damn things.

ugoo18

How is it bad design? Phantoms are just regular old enemies yet slightly harder. What's bad design about being one of the only multi-summon enemies series, besides them being a complete push over like every phantom in Dark Souls history besides Jester Thomas? There are a few that fight range while others go for melee & you have to keep track of both. Hardly poor game design, sounds like more of a case of scrubby nerd rage to me.

Are you being intentionally dense?

4 of the exact same phantoms, not slightly different phantoms. THE EXACT SAME PHANTOM. 4 of them spawned on the stairs leading into a room where a 5th one spawns that's also the same.

Yes scrubby nerd rage that must be it, even though i've played up to and completed this game in NG+++ with numerous areas far in excess of that (Not to mention playing through DS1 and completing upto NG+++ as well). Nothing at all to do with the fact that 5 of the exact same phantom all spawn in essentially the same room. Whatever you say.

Maybe in your game world that's clever design but it certainly isn't in mine.

Sullichin

Better yet give me an example of these apparently vastly inferior games ever having to devolve to such cheap methods of difficulty like having 4+ of THE SAME RED PHANTOM all spawn essentially in the same room.

They're all part of the same "invader". It's weird but I didn't have a problem with it or think it was bad or lazy. Not any different than having 4 of the same normal enemies in one room which all three games do (although DS2 definitely has more groups of enemies). It also provides 5x more chances at the very annoying to farm
Mad Warrior Set / Blacksteel Katana
, so at least there's that.

The only time I thought the groups were overkill in the DLC is in the run to
Smelter
. There's lots of rooms in the DLC with many enemies but they're set up so you can utilize the barrel guys / fire statues / verticality of the level. For the most part I really enjoyed this approach to the combat but I definitely got frustrated. You can usually peer into a room and figure out how to separate some of the enemies, and once you see guys coming out of ash the first time, it's fair game to expect.

ElFly

Goddamn, it seems the Possessed
Armor Sword
is absolutely weaksauce.

Checking, it does less damage than, the Fire Longsword that you pick at the beginning, and that has a god tier moveset.

ugoo18

They're all part of the same "invader". It's weird but I didn't have a problem with it or think it was bad or lazy. Not any different than having 4 of the same normal enemies in one room which all three games do (although DS2 definitely has more groups of enemies). It also provides 5x more chances at the very annoying to farm
Mad Warrior Set / Blacksteel Katana
, so at least there's that.

The only time I thought the groups were overkill in the DLC is in the run to
Smelter
. There's lots of rooms in the DLC with many enemies but they're set up so you can utilize the barrel guys / fire statues / verticality of the level. For the most part I really enjoyed this approach to the combat but I definitely got frustrated. You can usually peer into a room and figure out how to separate some of the enemies, and once you see guys coming out of ash the first time, it's fair game to expect.

Oh i've got no issue with multiple of the same normal enemies as that's pretty much a staple of any game. But multiple of the same invader feels like a way of artificially boosting the challenge by simply packing on the enemies and cheapens the idea of an invader by essentially lowering them to grunt status. There's nothing unique to me about having multiples of the same invader.

I'd have no problem with 4 different invaders, it's the fact that it's 4 of the exact same phantom that i dislike.

zewone

Yeah, DS1 put 82 Taurus Demons and 76 Capra Demons in the same area. DS2 just uses normal enemies.

Having a boss because a normal enemy later in the game is not a new phenomenon..

Maybe the Dragon Riders, Smelter Demon, Old Dragonslyer, Gargoyles, Artorias-reskin, Kalameet-reskin, Nashandra-reskin, & the Gank Squad didn't become regular enemies, but the design is lazy.

Facism

i liked the multiple phantom invasion. was funny as shit for me, plus they dropped mad warrior items so bonus there lol

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Invading new smelter area is by far the easiest area to invade for me. The exception is if they take the top unreachable platform near the boss room and range kill everything but other than that it works out.

Trakan

Having a boss because a normal enemy later in the game is not a new phenomenon..

Maybe the Dragon Riders, Smelter Demon, Old Dragonslyer, Gargoyles, Artorias-reskin, Kalameet-reskin, Nashandra-reskin, & the Gank Squad didn't become regular enemies, but the design is lazy.

Duke's Archives with the crystal skeletons, the forest in the DLC with the scarecrows and stone knights, the hollows/baldur knights in the parish, the ass dinosaurs in demon ruins, the catacombs with the skeletons, the tomb of giants with the giant skeltons, the painting guardians/silver knights in Anor Londo...

They all use the same mechanic of throwing multiple enemies at you. It's nothing new.

zewone

Duke's Archives with the crystal skeletons, the forest in the DLC with the scarecrows and stone knights, the hollows/baldur knights in the parish, the ass dinosaurs in demon ruins, the painting guardians/silver knights in Anor Londo...

They all use the same mechanic of throwing multiple enemies at you. It's nothing new.

If you don't get it, you don't get it, man.

v1perz53

Duke's Archives with the crystal skeletons, the forest in the DLC with the scarecrows and stone knights, the hollows/baldur knights in the parish, the ass dinosaurs in demon ruins, the painting guardians/silver knights in Anor Londo...

Yea but at least in Dark Souls 1 you had immunity during backstabs and ripostes, so you could play strategically to get to parry or backstab a group one at a time. In this game, you are actively punished for getting a parry or backstab when fighting a group of enemies. Maybe you will say immunity frames is bad design, but I like being rewarded for pulling of a skillful move, not punished for it. Also the way Dark Souls 2 handles group fights can be very frustrating, as it is much harder to roll out of a bad situation than it was in 1, since you get knocked off balance for a much longer time. One tiny clip from an enemy in a group in Dark Souls 2 can be enough to stunlock you to death.

Anyway, DkS 1 vs 2 debates will rage on. My own opinion on which is better is irrelevant, because I just passed 200 hours played in this game. Even if I like 1 better, I still enjoy 2 immensely.

Mistel

Banned
Maxing a new dex character for the DLC. What's a good lvl 150 dex build?
Somthing with 30STR and 50 DEX enables you to use the curved dragon greatsword along with a drangleic sword. CDS is 400 damage with B/S scaling and the drangleic is 270 damage with C/A scaling. Two strong DEX weapons maybe have a spear like Pates or Yorgh's on standby if needs be. For the rest just the standard stuff for any other melee build.

Top Bottom