• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I solo'd every single boss in all Souls games, including Manus and Kalameet and Artorias at SL1, but I can't seem to beat the Fume Knight. :( I tried Steelheart Ellie and she's pretty much useless, she buffs his defense so hard that even the distraction isn't enough.

I wish Fume Knight was like Flamelurker. At least his attacks don't clip me through my rolls...

ElFly

WELP 40 fucking tries in and im DONE fuck this shit taking a good brake from this game this is rediculious the regular SD is fucking CAKE. FUCK those npc summons they are fucking useless... I tried a few times by myself also and I just dont understand I guess I just fucking suck at this game :********(
I even vessaled to this and 20 more tires nope got to 1/4 inch of health ownt....

NEVER had to take this many tries for any boss in a souls game before..lol hell the way to get to him isnt even hard I just fucking run all the way their hell the "the short cut" is harder

I just dont understand..

I summoned both of them, used the shortcuts and reunited with them just before the boss, where I used magic to heal them almost back to 100%.

Then they tanked the boss most of the time while I plinked at it with hexes. One of them died when I had the boss at 80%. Had to eat an herb to replenish -took like 50 casts of whatever hex I have, don't remember, lol- and he barely attacked me twice.

Fuck the Flamelurker though :p

In my first playthrough I soloed Flamelurker after like four tries. Then my ps3 got stolen and I couldn't finish it.

Second playthrough, I had learned how to do multiplayer and I summoned help for Flamelurker. Was super easy.

Then I summoned a phantom for Dragon God, and I just sat back, letting him do literally all the work.

Fuck Dragon God. He is the Bed of Chaos of Demon.

I solo'd every single boss in all Souls games, including Manus and Kalameet and Artorias at SL1, but I can't seem to beat the Fume Knight. :( I tried Steelheart Ellie and she's pretty much useless, she buffs his defense so hard that even the distraction isn't enough.

I wish Fume Knight was like Flamelurker. At least his attacks don't clip me through my rolls...

O wow. I'm still doing my SL1 run DS1.
I just need to beat Artorias, Manus, Kalameet, and Gwyn. Gwyn shouldn't be too hard, he is weak to fire funny enough. I feel like Kalameet will be my biggest concern, maybe Manus if I decide to go even harder mode and not use silver pendant.

Levyne

Banned
I soloed Artorias and Kalameet but fuck Manus, I cheese him every time, it's truly shameful.

The (this dlc boss)
Fume Knight
took a few tries to learn his attacks but otherwise I though he was really straight forward and most everything could be easily rolled away from. That weird
orb
attack kept getting me though.

The other boss I had to summon the two npc help and keep spamming spells at his back, much tougher. It's interesting to see people struggle and succeed at different points.

Maybe I'm just not remembering but there didn't seem to be any Red Phantom additions for NG+ in the Sunken Crown DLC, but there are numerous in the Old Iron King. Seems kind of odd.

Sullichin

Smelter Hammer is amazing but was pretty impossible to use effectively at SL150 with the stat requirements, weight, and stamina usage. What the hell, I went to 200.

ElFly

Maybe I'm just not remembering but there didn't seem to be any Red Phantom additions for NG+ in the Sunken Crown DLC, but there are numerous in the Old Iron King. Seems kind of odd.

I like that the two DLCs are structured differently. Thought it was going to be just like sunken crown, with a
copy of nashandra guarding the real final boss, and then a side gauntlet of three npcs.

Instead the bosses here each have their own area, and there's no three sided ganking.

Here's hoping Ivory King is also different.

Jaeger

I'm loving
Sir Alonne's weapon and armor set. That and Raime's belongings are easily my favorite things in the game currently.

Beat Fume Knight for a second time to get both weapons.

Let the Cosplay begin!

Here's hoping Ivory King is better. Please no more Ambushes and Gauntlets.

I really hope From doesn't do anymore
outnumbering fights, whether they be summons, red phantoms, minions, or 3 bosses it's all just irritating. Multiple common enemies I have no problem dealing with, however, when it comes to a boss I want some 1 on 1 awesome battle going. I have faith in them, of all the Dragons I've fought in Dark Souls, Sinh is the only one I feel like it was my fault that I died, not any artificial difficulty crap. I found Kalameet, Hellkite(technically he's a drake, but still he's a descendant the dragons) and Ancient to be all artificial, mainly due to their OHK AoEs.

vgBR.com

Banned

My advice is to strip yourself of all armor and use flynns ring. Also focus everything on the attack, full scale. If you have ring of blades, use it. If you have ring of strengh, use it as well. Also, have at least 105 agility so you can roll out of his attacks with a good frame window.

When the battle starts, put some pressure on him and keep circling all the time behind him.

I hope my video helps

I've died a lot on this bastard, but was able to finish it by doing this.

The road to
Blue Smelter
is really annoying, need to coop just for reaching the area to fight him.

he's the first boss of the DLC I'm going to face (even though I already defeated him while helping another guy), but I'll have to do it tomorrow in my game since I need to wake up early tomorrow for my job =/

Please guys, leave your signs there tomorrow =(

ElFly

I am ok with multiple enemies/bosses.

Helped so many people with NG+ Lost Sinner in consoles, before the patches. It was one of the greatest fights in the game. Everything could go so fucking wrong, it was really really fun.

ElTopo

Banned
I really hope From doesn't do anymore
outnumbering fights, whether they be summons, red phantoms, minions, or 3 bosses it's all just irritating. Multiple common enemies I have no problem dealing with, however, when it comes to a boss I want some 1 on 1 awesome battle going. I have faith in them, of all the Dragons I've fought in Dark Souls, Sinh is the only one I feel like it was my fault that I died, not any artificial difficulty crap. I found Kalameet, Hellkite(technically he's a drake, but still he's a descendant the dragons) and Ancient to be all artificial, mainly due to their OHK AoEs.

I was fine with dealing with multiple enemies in DS2 up until the 2nd DLC. I had no problems with the spiders, those horsehead statue dudes leading to the Looking Glass Knight, the gauntlet leading to Velstadt and Vendrick, and the gauntlet to Ancient Dragon.

This time they just went overboard with it. In all of those encounters I just wrote about, in every single one I felt that I had the ability of taking out the enemies one at a time by luring them out or they're so weak (like the spiders) that a weapon with a wide swinging arc can take care of them.

Again, in the 2nd DLC it was just constant ambushes and gauntlets. The gauntlet leading to Smelter gives you so little room to work with and taking the other path through the cells is a pain in the ass and feels like it boils down to dumb luck to get by with minimal damage taken. All that just to fight the same exact boss as before...

So many times you go through an area and assholes spawn in and they easily ambush you. And WTF was up with that one spot (after you cross a chain bridge) where a phantom appears and once you get him down to low health he runs away to the bottom of that staircase and heals and he doesn't come back up to fight you?

Why have a gauntlet inside the Alone Knight's memory? Not only do they throw a shit load of enemies at you but now you have a time limit to deal with.

Just not a great DLC especially when compared to the 1st one.

The road to
Blue Smelter
is really annoying, need to coop just for reaching the area to fight him.

he's the first boss of the DLC I'm going to face (even though I already defeated him while helping another guy), but I'll have to do it tomorrow in my game since I need to wake up early tomorrow for my job =/

(

He is completely optional and ultimately pointless to fight.

ElFly

That phantom-going
-away-and-healing
thingie never happened to me.

I am still surprised they didn't put a phantom in
one of the chains.

Maybe in NG+

ElTopo

Banned
That phantom-going-away-and-healing thingie never happened to me.

I am still surprised they didn't put a phantom in one of the chains.

Maybe in NG+

I was NG+ and I was like "WTF? Why is he running away?" and I was Human and couldn't get down there without getting cursed. I couldn't get away to use a Bonfire either. First and only time I've seen a Phantom run away and then refuse to come back out and fight you while you remain in the same spot where he spawned.

Zocano

To make me feel even more inferior I just watched some dude roll him on ng+7 solo with no damage or shield.

The 2 main DLC bosses I didn't bother using a shield for.

I don't know what's up but blocking even a single hit just ended up staggering so I felt it was completely worthless to bother. I just rolled through every attack and hit when I needed to. Felt like using a shield was completely useless this time around.

2-handing my katana against
Sir Alonne
felt reeeal good, though.

I am ok with multiple enemies/bosses.

Helped so many people with NG+ Lost Sinner in consoles, before the patches. It was one of the greatest fights in the game. Everything could go so fucking wrong, it was really really fun.

I needed help with her on NG+.
I couldn't do it on NG+ alone9Plus I also wanted the lucitel achievement). I would use GLS and the pyromancer would just live slightly, then I'd get pelted with pyormancies and The Sinner. I would have preferred they just nerf the health of the pyromancers, that would have been sufficient. Nerfing the boss itself was overkill.

ElFly

I was NG+ and I was like "WTF? Why is he running away?" and I was Human and couldn't get down there without getting cursed. I couldn't get away to use a Bonfire either. First and only time I've seen a Phantom run away and then refuse to come back out and fight you while you remain in the same spot where he spawned.

One of the NPC summons fooled me into thinking he was a human, since he comes to you and drops the "HELLOOOOO" stone.

I couldn't do it on NG+ alone9Plus I also wanted the lucitel achievement). I would use GLS and the pyromancer would just live slightly, then I'd get pelted with pyormancies and The Sinner. I would have preferred they just nerf the health of the pyromancers, that would have been sufficient. Nerfing the boss itself was overkill.

I agree. Post patch Lost Sinner is just too slow.

Essay

Sweet. Just got my Illusory Ring of the Exalted after my no-bonfires run. I had rested at a bonfire immediately after my first death to The Rotten, but ejected my disk and powered down my console within 2 seconds of hitting the A button. Clearly, that didn't register as resting, as I got my ring in the end.

Yippie, 7 hours not wasted! Now to invisi-great-bow people in PVP. :D

ElTopo

Banned

Did they nerf him recently? I didn't notice when I first played it on PC on launch. My strategy for Lost Sinner in NG+ is to just focus on him with your shield up and continue to strafe around him. The pyromancers don't deal a lot of damage and the lingering flame is easily dodged/blocked. Just focus on him and kill the Sinner and then go after the pyromancers.

Did they nerf him recently? I didn't notice when I first played it on PC on launch. My strategy for Lost Sinner in NG+ is to just focus on him with your shield up and continue to strafe around him. The pyromancers don't deal a lot of damage and the lingering flame is easily dodged/blocked. Just focus on him and kill the Sinner and then go after the pyromancers.

They nerfed her damage and health, I think her movement was also nerfed. Not sure how drastically she was nerfed though. Was nerfed a while back though, like end of April I think

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
MOTHERFUCKER YOU DEAD GRAHHHHHH
My advice is to strip yourself of all armor and use flynns ring. Also focus everything on the attack, full scale. If you have ring of blades, use it. If you have ring of strengh, use it as well. Also, have at least 105 agility so you can roll out of his attacks with a good frame window.

When the battle starts, put some pressure on him and keep circling all the time behind him.

I hope my video helps

I've died a lot on this bastard, but was able to finish it by doing this.

I did something like that haha. I didn't strip the armour, but I replaced my brace knuckles ring+2 with the ring of blades+1 (I use two powerstanced Old Whip which degrade blazingly fast), respecced to 105 agility, removed all other equipment to stay beneath 30%, then I wailed L2s on him like I did but more aggressively, and he barely had time to buff, he had very little health left when he did so I finished him pretty quick. I actually spent my remaining souls on lightning resin but didn't even end up using it, lol. Also, I only used 3 estus the whole fight, where previously, by trying to be too careful, I sometimes used all 12 and he still had 30% of his HP left. This boss really punishes slow or passive players.

I just checked your video and it amazes me how his greatsword sweep doesn't hit you, Vendrick style. Perhaps it's the distance you are at, but if I didn't roll in time for that it would always clip me. Weird.

Now I'm confused though. I got the
crown
but somehow missed a boss, I know there are 3. Hmmmmm... thought I'd explored everything too. o_O

SoldnerKei

got down the
smelter demon
boss, with the help of a sun bro, that made the boss hella easy, also I was using a +5 dragon tooth infused with lighting, also sturdy shield infused with magic, but now that I beat it, what was the point?? I just got
pharros mask
it's that all?

at least the other boss dosen't look so annoying

MOTHERFUCKER YOU DEAD GRAHHHHHH

I did something like that haha. I didn't strip the armour, but I replaced my brace knuckles ring+2 with the ring of blades+1 (I use two powerstanced Old Whip which degrade blazingly fast), respecced to 105 agility, removed all other equipment to stay beneath 30%, then I wailed L2s on him like I did but more aggressively, and he barely had time to buff, he had very little health left when he did so I finished him pretty quick. I actually spent my remaining souls on lightning resin but didn't even end up using it, lol. Also, I only used 3 estus the whole fight, where previously, by trying to be too careful, I sometimes used all 12 and he still had 30% of his HP left. This boss really punishes slow or passive players.

I just checked your video and it amazes me how his greatsword sweep doesn't hit you, Vendrick style. Perhaps it's the distance you are at, but if I didn't roll in time for that it would always clip me. Weird.

Now I'm confused though. I got the
crown
but somehow missed a boss, I know there are 3. Hmmmmm... thought I'd explored everything too. o_O

Keep exploring, one of them is in a direction you wouldn't expect and could easily miss.

ElTopo

Banned
They nerfed her damage and health, I think her movement was also nerfed. Not sure how drastically she was nerfed though. Was nerfed a while back though, like end of April I think

Interesting. I didn't fight her until the end of my first playthrough but I don't remember any kind of significant patch before I fought her. Interesting thing, even though she is guardaing a Primal Bonfire you don't in fact need to beat her in order to beat the game. She's completely skippable.

AHA-Lambda

I'm not liking the sound of some of these impressions, haven't had a chance to play the dlc yet myself.
this fume knight just doesn't sound fair, how difficult is it to get these idols I hear about? A regenerating boss to me doesn't seem fair.

Sounds shorter too
only one mandatory area and boss am I right?
Sounds like a step back from the last dlc :/

burgerdog

The fuck, Mr Blue actually killed me ten times. DLC worth it, no other boss has challenged me this much in Dark Souls II. He'll die tomorrow.

ElTopo

Banned
I'm not liking the sound of some of these impressions, haven't had a chance to play the dlc yet myself.
this fume knight just doesn't sound fair, how difficult is it to get these idols I hear about? A regenerating boss to me doesn't seem fair.

Sounds shorter too

If you do some exploring you should find some additional wedges that you can use on the Idols near the Fume Knight. You can look it up on the wiki in where to find them exactly. You don't need to do it, but it makes the fight easier if you do and if you want all the soul items in the DLC you need to do it anyway so you might as well.

But honestly I thought Fume was pretty fair. Alone Knight was pretty fair except for his lunging stab has an odd hitbox, it won't go through your shield but if you try to roll it it has to be precise and I have 110 Agility...

Smelter and the path to get to him and the reward for fighting him is just shit. Possibly the worst boss fight in the entire game. Covetous Demon was easy as fuck, but at the least he looked cool and had some lore (I think) tied to him. What was the lore behind the 2nd Smelter Demon? Why did From make us fight the same exact boss again except now he hurts you with magic instead of fire?

Interesting. I didn't fight her until the end of my first playthrough but I don't remember any kind of significant patch before I fought her. Interesting thing, even though she is guardaing a Primal Bonfire you don't in fact need to beat her in order to beat the game. She's completely skippable.

Yeah, many bosses are skipable. Also, there's this:
You can technically skip all bosses before Shrine of Winter once you get a Fragment Branch of Yore. Shrine of Winter opens if you beat the four lords, or if you get 1 million SM in your playthrough whichever comes first. The number does go up by a million per NG+ though, so NG+ needs 2 million extra SM NG++ needs 3 million, and so on. Up to a max of 7 million and it has to be in the current playthrough. So if you have 3 million and you go into NG+ you will need to get your SM to 5 million to get through without beating the four lords. So you could just keep co-oping in a place until 1 million and basically skip all of the bosses before Shrine of Winter.

Sounds shorter too

It's not shorter than Sunken. Assuming you want to explore all the content, I would say there's even more here. For bosses,
only 1 is required for the crown but another is required for other reasons related to the boss souls. The third boss is similar to the Sunken gank squad, optional side area designed for co-op but still fun solo. For Fume Knight healing, just make sure to explore to the bottom before using too many Smelter Wedges. Also he only heals if he gets near the arena edges so you can keep him away especially if only one idol is left.

Overall I think the DLC is fantastic, definitely recommended.

Lost Sinner got nerfed hard early after console release. Another big change was
they made the two pyromancers that spawn during the fight much, much weaker. They originally took a lot of damage before going down, now you can take them out with a few swings. Flexile Sentry's friends also got nerfed hard while summons like Lucatiel were buffed a lot because it was so hard to keep them alive for fights like Smelter.

Also, as Dark Heart mentioned,
all 4 Primal Bonfire bosses are optional, not just Sinner.

Interesting, can you elaborate on this one?

I like to go into my Dark Souls adventures a little self aware :p

Sure thing. In this DLC,
the "boss soul" for the Child of Dark (ala Nashandra and Elana) is split into 12 pieces and you have to find all the pieces before the real soul is formed. One of the 12 pieces can only be accessed after killing a boss that isn't required for just getting the crown. Then you can trade it with Ornifex, etc. I thought it was a nice twist on what I was expecting going into it after the Nash and Elana fights.

Edited for clarity.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So I got invaded in the [2nd DLC]
Memory of the Old Iron King
with some guy using an extremely long katana. I bowed to him, he bowed back, cool, a non-douchey invader right? I killed him with my dual whips. Then I get a message: "I see your name again I go tryhard, good luck".

Wot

AHA-Lambda

Sure thing. In this DLC,
the "boss soul" for the Child of Dark (ala Nashandra and Elana) is split into 12 pieces and you have to find all the pieces before the real soul is formed. One of the 12 pieces can only be accessed after killing a boss that isn't required for just getting the crown. Then you can trade it with Ornifex, etc. I thought it was a nice twist on what I was expecting going into it after the Nash and Elana fights.

Edited for clarity.

Hmm, interesting, thanks :)

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
After a lot of tries on how to successfully help (as a phantom) against the hardest boss
Fume Knight
in the DLC, I finally optimized my gear and gameplay.

My Gear
.Hands
..Gyrm Greatshield +10
..Espada Ropera +10
..Any catalyst for casting sorceries

.Rings
..Leo's Ring (for counter damage)
..Baneful Bird Ring (for low stamina draining shield blocks)
..Flynn's Ring (for a bit of damage)
..Ring of Blades +2 (for a bit of damage)

.Casts
..Strong Magic Shield

My Strategy
.Before Fume Knight buffs his ultra greatsword
..block hits with the Gyrm Greatshield
..hit with Espada Ropera, aiming for count damage only

.while/after Fume Knight buffs his ultra greatsword
..cast Strong Magic Shield on the Grym Greatshield
..block hits with the buffed Grym Greatshield
.With the buffed shield, I can damn tank Fume Knight's AOE head on with a small portion of damage
I had very high success with the above strategy as a phantom, Soul Memory around 8 Million.

After a lot of tries on how to successfully help (as a phantom) against the hardest boss
Fume Knight
in the DLC, I finally optimized my gear and gameplay.

My Gear

My Strategy

I had very high success with the above strategy as a phantom, Soul Memory around 8 Million.

Another possible strategy tweak to that would be to swap out one of the rings for the Red Eye ring, keep the boss's attention and tank everything while the host whales on him.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
So I got invaded in the [2nd DLC]
Memory of the Old Iron King
with some guy using an extremely long katana. I bowed to him, he bowed back, cool, a non-douchey invader right? I killed him with my dual whips. Then I get a message: "I see your name again I go tryhard, good luck".

Wot

Dick.

Who here sends complimentary messages to other players?

Hypron

I'm finding this DLC very tedious. I'm not really having fun... I liked the first one though :/

I beat the
fume knight
with summons because I couldn't get bothered. I also got to the
blue smelter demon
but couldn't find the motivation to walk back there after dying.

Hm, is ayone else having problems 'purchasing' this? I have the season pass, but when I go to DLC on PSN the new DLC comes up as 9,99.

When I go to the Dark Souls II store page, the DLC isn't even there. Just the Sunken King DLC only.

EUR PSN, btw

Edit: Ah, found it, looks like they're looking into it... seems unlikely they'll fix it before the scheduled PSN maintenance :/

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Another possible strategy tweak to that would be to swap out one of the rings for the Red Eye ring, keep the boss's attention and tank everything while the host whales on him.

I am not sure if the Red Eye Ring functions properly against bosses in the game, but every bit of damage is needed in that boss fight.

Found loads of hosts to be dying in the fight, because of either mistakes or just not having patience in that fight.

Tried going in with larger weapons, but they drain loads of stamina and blocking with heavy shields do not work in that case (lower shields/less stability just gets destroyed in the fight for a second hit stagger damage). Then I tried with Vanquisher's Seal, but punching melee range is damn tiny and was missing loads of hits.

Then at last singled down to Rapier class weapons, because stamina consumption for R1 stabs are lowest in the game and counter damage offsets the weapons low damage (upto an extent).

-----
Alternatively, I tried the Ninja way too

with
.Sim
pleton
's Ring

.other weapons

But it really requires one to keep rolling and time it right, risky and damn painful to keep doing it (as compared to bit of leniency when you can just tap BLOCK with a shield and wait for the weapon hit to register, then reinstate block again)

Ruuppa

Can't even give out a "gg" in gaming utopia, eh? Sad state of affairs... XD

First you find the last player you played with in Steam, then you send them a friend request, then wait until they accept it, and then send them a message and block them forever.

Very simple, so quick.

Has anyone found the
Outcry pyromancy yet? Or is it a boss-soul item?

Alternatively, I tried the Ninja way too

with
.Sim
pleton
's Ring

.other weapons

But it really requires one to keep rolling and time it right, risky and damn painful to keep doing it (as compared to bit of leniency when you can just tap BLOCK with a shield and wait for the weapon hit to register, then reinstate block again)

I did it with rolls and a spear, and it got a lot easier once I got in my Pursuer's fight mindset: Don't be afraid to hug him like you love him. Until he powers up. Then run away like a spurned lover, and wait for him to catch up.

I'm finding this DLC very tedious. I'm not really having fun... I liked the first one though :/

The only parts I find tedious are the optional area coop gauntlets leading to a an equally tedious boss. Interestingly, I never see player summon signs for those area's, maybe other folks have better luck, but I usually ever find stupid AI summons.

First you find the last player you played with in Steam, then you send them a friend request, then wait until they accept it, and then send them a message and block them forever.

Very simple, so quick.

Has anyone found the
Outcry pyromancy yet? Or is it a boss-soul item?

You trade a Soul for it, but it's not a Boss ;)

Edit: Sorry for double post...

Top Bottom